Pam and Eric reunite on 'True Blood'
July 2nd, 2012

Pam and Eric reunite on 'True Blood'

[This post contains spoilers to the July 1 episode of HBO's "True Blood."]

On this week’s “True Blood,” while Pam was saving her new child from suicide, her own maker finally came back into town.

Eric was perplexed to see Tara with Pam, and so Pam explained, “She’s mine. I made her a vampire while you were gone. Congratulations, you’re a grandfather.”

Eric was not amused, and accused Pam of helping Russell escape. She pleaded with him, “you’re my maker Eric. And I would die for you gladly a thousand times before I would ever betray you.” As always, their chemistry was electric.

Eric explained his suicide mission to find Russell. When Pam vowed to fight by his side, he told her that he needed to release her. “You are my only progeny, my one legacy. I need you to live when I’m gone.”

The examination of their relationship has been the highlight of the season thus far. While I’m sad to see their official child/maker bond end, I have faith that they’ll remain close for another century.

Elsewhere in Bon Temps, Lafayette was furious when he found out that Sookie confessed to Alcide about Debbie’s murder. Distraught, Sookie went to her brother’s house to turn herself in before Alcide could, but Jason refused to arrest her.

Instead, Alcide went to the Pelts and told them that Marcus killed Debbie. They left town, and Jessica glamoured Andy, erasing Debbie’s murder case from his brain. Sookie has some crafty friends keeping her safe - for now.

Lafayette was possessed by a demon (I’ve been trying to ignore this storyline, but it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere) and cursed Sookie’s car. Luckily, she got out of it just before it crashed.

After such a rough few days, Sookie decided to head home and get drunk alone. Good for her! But then Alcide showed up, with his anger subsided, to ruin her alone time. He explained that he’d lied for her ... annnnd then they made out.

As long as it doesn’t get serious - Alcide’s great to look at, but oh-so-boring - I say get your kicks, girl.

Bill was watching through the window as Sookie and Alcide got it on. Such a stalker! Then Eric showed up - which was less creepy, because swoon.

Bill suggested Sookie could be helpful in their hunt for Russell, but Eric pointed out that she didn’t want anything to do with either of them. Said Bill, “I don’t think we give her the choice.”

And while Roman allowed Eric and Bill to leave the Authority, he certainly didn’t forget about them. He and Salome continued to torture Nora, threatening to detonate Bill and Eric with their nifty app.

As the chancellors discussed the Sanguinista uprisings on all 7 continents, Roman entered to announce that he knew Nora wasn’t the only traitor. He paced around the room and finally accosted Drew, the child vampire.

This “child” was probably hundreds of years old, but that didn’t make it any less brutal when Roman staked him and he exploded.

Also, we still had to watch Terry and Patrick go on a road trip to find their old war buddy. As much as I love Scott Foley, I find this storyline totally unnecessary.

Elsewhere in Z plots, Sam’s shifter friends paid him a visit, but when he went to see them later that night, they were dead. Did Marcus’ werepack kill them? More importantly, do we even care?

But there's another disconnected storyline that's actually promising. Andy and Jason were transported to a magical strip club in Faery, where Jason saw his cousin Hadley. She was stunned to hear that Sookie was alive after escaping Faery, and pleaded with Jason to bring her back so her fellow fairies could keep her safe.

Then Hadley dropped a bomb. She let it slip that Sookie and Jason’s parents didn’t drown in a flood - vampires killed them. It seems the Stackhouses were a target for danger long before Sookie met Bill Compton.

I thought this was the strongest episode of the season because the story centered mostly on the show’s central characters. The vampire mythology on “True Blood” is so detailed and compelling that it’s a shame when the focus shifts to other, less interesting supernatural creatures.

Still, I’m interested to see what the fairies reveal about Jason and Sookie’s lineage. And I’m excited to see what happens when Sookie’s former paramours drag her into their search for Russell.

What did you think of last night’s episode?

Post by:
Filed under: television • True Blood • TV recaps

1. Brandon

I just finished watching last week’s episode at Dish Online and it was epic! I hate that the book and the show are so different. On the bright side, I think it is nice to be able to read the book then watch the show and still be surprised. A coworker at Dish gave me the True Blood television fever and I haven’t been able to shake it since.

July 12, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Apple2Appple

To people hating on the whole faerie thing, its not as cheesy in the book. They are actually really B-A in the books. Theres a huge faerie ware and everything. Bill gets poisoned by silver lined teeth on one faerie trying to kill Sookie to lure out her Prince Grandfather (which brings me to my small upset) because there's a war between breeding with humans, and its between the Water Faeries and the Light Faeries, WHICH IS HOW HER PARENTS DIED. THEY DROWNED. BECAUSE OF THE WATER FAERIES. NOT BECAUSE OF VAMPIRES. lame sauce. I like that he changes it from the books, but c'mon!

July 3, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • leale

Finally someone reads the books! They are VERYYY DIFFERENT than the television show. I used to like the show first season because they followed the story line, but now I feel like the directors are doing toooooo much:-/

July 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mikrik13

Busy, busy, busy... Maybe to much so.

July 3, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Amber

Okay, everyone is blaming Sookie for everything bad that's going on. Blame the victim? Why is it her fault some psycho tried to kill her? If Alan Ball is going down that road, this is going to be my last season watching the show.

July 3, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. TB Fan

I've read the books and I like the show, but Alan Ball needs to figure out what stories are worth developing and really build on them (as someone else said above). Its like he gets bored with the story lines, so he keeps changing them or writes the stories all for shock value only. Also, you can tell a man is righting the show, sometimes more romance is definitely needed. Making Pam a madame was disappointing. But then I was looking forward to watching Eric and Pam's relationship develop before he made her a vampire, I wanted to watch him chase her, pursue her, and have her resist him, and all the while she would be wanting him but wondering what he really was. Here was his chance to add romance, passion, and mystery. Unfortunately, Pam cut her wrists right away, again with the more shock value...This was a good idea but would have been better after they were deep in love.

July 3, 2012 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. GaPeach

And pleasse...NO more fairy episodes!

July 2, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TJ

I'm wondering if this show is going to have any normal, non-supernatural characters left before this season is through? Having too many weirdos hurts the show, imho.

Seems the writers are going way off-base with too many minor storylines. I wish they would stick to 2-3 main story lines and give them more depth.

July 2, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • bee

Love this show and all the sups .. god the normal people are the boring ones on this show .. loving this season as well .. and god Eric :)

July 2, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. GaPeach

This was the best episode this year! Unfortunately i didn't feel the chemistry between Eric and Pam....but I can really feel it wihen he is around Sookie. I am glad Sookie got together with Alcide but I want them to do more episodes that focus on Sookie and Eric. I love Bill also but don't feel the same chemistry with him either. Still not happy Tara is a vampire; Loved her as a human and friend to Sookie.

July 2, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rain

See, I'm the opposite. I always think there's incredible chemistry between Pam and Eric and none at all between Sookie and Eric..

November 23, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jack

Hello. Everyone is cordially invited to visit – thestarofkaduri.com

July 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Leigha

I LOVED the episode last night....the scene between Eric and Pam was so touching and heartbreaking...but it will be fun to see Pam be a "mommy" to Tara. There are so many things going on so early in the season, but it's building up to be a really exciting season. I crave more V as soon as each episode ends!!!

July 2, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Branden Ramirez

I FREAKIN LOVED IT! I also love how they are slowly starting to put more and more layers on Anna Paquin to hide the fact that she is pregnant with twins, lol! I love Sookie though! I'm also really excited for Pam and Tera's relationship! How far they have already come from wanting to kill each other! Can't wait to see what happens next! I am a Trubie for LIFE! ;o)

July 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lisa

Eric and Pam broke my heart last night!

July 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |