Ring in July 4th with a classic American superhero, who happens to dress in red and blue.
Web-wielding Peter Parker is back in “The Amazing Spider-Man,” a reboot of the original film trilogy based on the famed Marvel comic. The summer of superheroes continues with this movie’s battles, bad guys and chemistry - with real-life celebrity sweethearts Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone in the starring roles. “The Amazing Spider-Man” opens in theaters Tuesday.
Here’s what else will entertain you this week:
- With performances by Big Sean, Chris Brown, D’Angelo, Nicki Minaj and Usher, as well as a tribute to Whitney Houston and the usual award show acceptance speeches by surprised stars, the 12th annual “BET Awards,” which will be hosted by Samuel L. Jackson beginning at 8 p.m. EST on BET, promises to put on a good show.
- After last season’s cliffhanger left you months of wondering, watch the premiere of the eighth and final season of “Weeds” and find out not only who was the victim of the shooting but who pulled the trigger, starting at 10 p.m. ET on Showtime.
- Follow the story of quarterback Tim Tebow’s climb to celebrity on “Tim Tebow’s Wild Rise” at 8 p.m. ET on E!
- Just twelve acts from the Top 48 get the chance to perform at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center on “America’s Got Talent” at 8:30 p.m. ET on NBC.
- Book releases: “The Next Best Thing” by Jennifer Weiner; “Presumed Guilty: Casey Anthony: The Inside Story” by Jose Baez and Peter Golenblock; “Criminal” by Karin Slaughter; and “The Marriage Bargain” by Jennifer Probst.
- In new music: “XXX” by Asia; “Fortune (Deluxe Version)” by Chris Brown; “Wild Ones” by Flo Rida; and “Bob Dylan’s Greatest Hits” by of course, Bob Dylan.
- At 8 p.m. ET on CW, catch the staff of a South Beach hotel in the season finale of “The Catalina” — that party-filled reality show on another shore.
- Celebrate the birth of our great nation with two evening spectaculars. Manhattan’s 36th annual fireworks display, “Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular,” will feature performances by Katy Perry and Kenny Chesney, beginning at 9 p.m. ET on NBC.
- Then at 10 p.m. ET on CBS, see sparks fly in another East Coast city at the 39th annual “Boston Pops Firework Spectacular,” which will include a performance by Jennifer Hudson.
- Pop princess Katy Perry’s 3-D documentary “Katy Perry: Part of Me,” which tells the story of the starlet’s road to fame as well as offers a backstage pass on her California Dreams Tour, is released in theaters today.
- Get a glimpse of Snooki’s bun in the oven as the reality star gets her first ultrasound on “Snooki & JWoww,” starting at 10 p.m. ET on MTV.
- At 10 p.m. ET on Bravo, Kathy Griffin will host her final talk show of “Kathy’s” first season with guests including fellow talk show extraordinaire Jimmy Kimmel.
- New Oliver Stone movie “Savages,” starring Blake Lively, John Travolta and Selma Hayek, comes to theaters today.
- On “Say Yes to the Dress,” Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir escorts his friend as she heads out on a bridal shopping trip, beginning at 9 p.m. ET on TLC.