Sitcom Sheen is back (for better or worse) with 'Anger Management'
June 29th, 2012

Sitcom Sheen is back (for better or worse) with 'Anger Management'

You have to hand it to Charlie Sheen: the man can deliver a one-liner with the best of them.

He's had lots and lots of practice, of course, especially with all of those seasons on "Two and a Half Men." That is, until Things Went Terribly Wrong.

So now, one highly publicized Hollywood meltdown later, Sheen is back on TV. But this time he's on FX, doing ... a sitcom in front of a live studio audience.

Yes, lovable Sitcom Sheen has returned. (Hey, if it ain't broke...)

Thursday night's two-episode series premiere of "Anger Management" (which shares a title, and nothing more, with the 2003 Adam Sandler movie) presented Sheen in an interesting role as a therapist who's discovered that he needs to return to therapy himself. Except that he's sleeping with his former therapist (Selma Blair). Aye, there's the rub.

Sheen and Blair have great chemistry together, and it's not exactly a stretch for Sheen to play a former baseball player named Charlie.

This new Charlie also tangled with his ex's boyfriend, played by Brian Austin Green, and we heard the occasional witty retort from a bartender played by Brett Butler (who also had her share of problems with "Men" co-creator Chuck Lorre).

The first episode was the kind of show which absolutely insisted on its funniness, but did elicit a chuckle or two. It's the second episode where things got bad.

"Reno 911's" Kerri Kinney, one of the best comic actresses out there, played the "Slumpbuster," a woman Charlie slept with years ago in a superstitious attempt to get over a baseball slump.

She returned to his therapy group, and before you knew it, he ended up having to pretend to be in a relationship with her - which, of course, his ex loved.
michigan lottery
Try as she might, Kinney didn't make this episode all that funny. The "Slumpbuster" story was dead on arrival, really.

"Anger Management" does have an impressive supporting cast, but the show ultimately goes for the obvious laugh or plotline.

But perhaps most episodes will be closer to the first one, and if so, it has a little potential. Yet judging from what we saw Thursday night, "Anger Management" needs professional help.

Did you enjoy the show more than I did? Share your view on video or comment below.

1. Welled

The only anger managment CS needs is for the crap parts he is given. He's a really accomplished actor. Especially the overexposure that TV sitcoms gave to someone that the world of movie fans lose so many good actors and actresses to. Includes people like Jim Belushi and so many others that movie fans will gladly pay to go see.

July 1, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Miranda

Sadly, a lot of it reminded me of 2 1/2 men. Right down to the ugly bartender replacing the ugly housekeeper with the same kind of voice talking about a "sippy cup." Charlie does Charlie best but the show needed to be a grabber from the get-go and it wasn't.

June 29, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jackie

I loved the show, Charlie is the best, I have been a fan of his since Platoon. My prayers are with him to stay straight and sober. It's a stuggle but Charlie you can do it.

June 29, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sydell

The first part of the show was just alright. The second part insulted our intelligence. I felt Charlie Sheen was embarrassed to utter the words the writers wrote for him. Of course, I'm sure he will "tolerate" the millions of dollars they have "thrown" at him to do this show.

June 29, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bar

to me it seemed like "The Bob Newhart Show"–only edgier. The best scenes are the group therapy sessions. I'll give it another chance next week in hopes that the plots will become more interesting. But nearly anything is better than 2 1/2 Men with that fool Ashcan Klutzer. I can't believe that pathetic show is still on.

June 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. carol Allen

Thought it was too silly. Not very adult – or fit for the younger croud. When did we get so crude and think its funny. Know lots will disagree but I think it very sad we have stooped this low and think its funny. I won't ever watch again.

June 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Susan

apparently you people would watch grass grow, the only one laughing at this show is Chuck Lorre

June 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Snorlax

Stupid show. It will be gone before obama leaves in January...

June 29, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Snorlax

Stupid show. It will be gone before obama leaves in January.

June 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LaWanda

I loved, loved, loved Anger Management. I laughed for the entire hour and watched the commercial so I wouldn't miss a thing.

June 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Deb

It was great to see Charlie back, doing what he does better than anyone. Will be tuning in next week.

June 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Keith

It was good.. Needs work, but I wil lwatch it again because it only has the makings of a good show..

June 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ejhonda

I was shocked at how good this show it. I will definitely watch it, having given up on 2.5 Men a long time ago.

June 29, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mike in NYC

Oh c'mon .... it wasn't nearly as bad as all that. Its certainly better than Two and a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher!!! I looked at it as One and No Half Men. :-) Really just more of the same from Charlie Sheen ..... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'll be watching next week.

June 29, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mikey D

I was a Two and a Half Men fanatic before they left, and I like Anger Management a lot. It is programmed in to the DVR and a regular Thursday night show for me now. I only wish they had portrayed him as a wealthy therapist, I really think Charlie is perfect for his two and a half men role. What made that show so enjoyable to watch, well one of the many things, was that Charlie was the man that every man secretly wants to be, and every woman secretly wants to lock down. He was a rich, free spirited bad boy with a good family man tendency. This show has a chance to be big.

June 29, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Donna

I am a big Charlie Sheen fan and I thought both episodes were good. I am looking forward to next week!

June 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kathi

I could only get through the first 4 min. it was just like watching two & a half men. I didn't like it.

June 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Greg

Ahh. All is right with the Universe again! Charlie's new Anger Management series is programmed on my DVR and I have something to watch on Thursday nights and the recordings on the days in-between.

June 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |