Fan favorite choreographer returns to 'SYTYCD'
June 27th, 2012

Fan favorite choreographer returns to 'SYTYCD'

After taking a break last year (her second in the series run) to choreograph "Rock of Ages," Mia Michaels is tanned, rested and ready to return for Wednesday night's top 20 episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" (which also happens to be the 200th episode, by the way).

"I just want to continue pushing ground and digging into new territory," Michaels told reporters on Tuesday about what to expect this season.

"I’m first and foremost an artist, so I get bored with my stuff so easily and I just want to constantly dig into new territory. For me, it’s very important. When I’m going to come in and do a piece, I get inspired by life. I get inspired by moments in life so whatever is actually going on around me usually inspires me for sure. Coming off of 'Rock of Ages,' I have this whole world of rock and roll and pretty much a whole different approach to movement that I’d love to utilize a little bit on the show this season."

So what did the more "rock and roll" Michaels think watching this season's auditions?

"There are some amazing dancers this season, really strong, strong dancers," she said.

"I’m blown away by the talent, just spectacular dancers really. I think the first show they’re kind of a little in shock because it’s 'a thing.' You have to click into the speed and the intensity of 'So You Think You Can Dance' and learning all these routines. I think the first week is always shocking to them but after they get through the first show they’re on a roll."

Michaels shared the story of how she came to be a choreographer, one with a very unique style (seen also on "House") that has won her so many fans.

"When I started dancing I was always a thicker girl. I’ve always dealt with a weight issue from very early on, a teenager, and I think because I never really got the chance to dance professionally I think there was a lot of passion that is misplaced," she said. "I think all this passion that I wanted to be a dancer and because nobody would hire me because of my body type I took it and I brought it over to being a choreographer and a creator of movement."

The Mia Michaels style of dance is one all its own, but there is one move from the past few decades that she would love to bring back.

"I 'Roger Rabbited' for the gods back in the ‘80s. Are you kidding? I was inside of the 'Roger Rabbit!'" she said. "So I would have to say we need to bring the 'Roger Rabbit' back in a really unique, artistic way."

1. Bertram Coxe

Sometimes diarrhea is caused by toxins or some substances that irritates the digestive system...

Take a look at the newest short article on our new webpage

November 3, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. AdechikeFan

In my opinion, the ratings were at an all-time low this past week because people like me refused to watch an episode specifically designed to honor the racist nightmare named "Mia Michaels." She poisons the show. Why oh why can't she just GO AWAY and STAY AWAY???

August 28, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Fred Feldnerster

Dallas is the show.

June 28, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeffrey Marmon (MR. Kotter)

Watch JR. Ewing!

June 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jack (Baby Jack)Clauss

Great show.

June 28, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Michael Calaizzo

Hot TV show.

June 28, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sokman

I can't tell. Does she have diarrhea or is she trying to make a s e x y old lady face...

June 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joseph

Suggestion:Don't add "Rock Of Ages" to any future resume.

June 28, 2012 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. fancy pants

I DONT WATCH TVHISSHOW

June 28, 2012 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. 1twinswin

Let's be clear here. Her choreography is brilliant. Her personality leaves a lot to be desired.

June 27, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2519MTM

Perfectly said – genious when it comes to choreography – not so much when interacting with people....

June 28, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Annia

I'm not so impress with her, choreographing or judging. Who could forget how horrible she was on that one amazing dancer, Akedike, I think that how he spells his name, who happens to be one amazing dancer, but for the fact that he's an African-American, she found ways to scrutinize him show after show, reducing him to tears, no matter how hard he work or how near perfect his dance moves were. He could dance until his tendons snap, it probably would not be good enough for this racist pig, where, in the same breath, showering praises to a white dancer, whose dance moves were similar to those of Akedike's, nothing better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an African-American, but I know racism & prejudices when I see one. It's a travesty to human race, really. I'm surprise she's able to walk around without the bed sheet on her head. So not impress!

June 28, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |