Trailer Park: Keira Knightley as Anna Karenina
June 21st, 2012

Trailer Park: Keira Knightley as Anna Karenina

This is a year for classic tales: Before "Les Miserables" and "The Great Gatsby" arrive in December, director Joe Wright's cinematic take on Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" will bow November 9.

A richly scored trailer hit the Web Wednesday, showing Keira Knightley back in period costume as the titular 19th century Russian aristocrat who's wed to one man but having an affair with another - Aaron Johnson's Count Vronsky.

The 27-year-old actress has teamed up with Wright to acclaim before - once with 2005's "Pride and Prejudice," and again with 2007's "Atonement" - so our expectations are high for this one.

The cast also features Jude Law, Kelly Macdonald and Emily Watson. What do you think of the trailer?

Filed under: movies • Trailer Park

1. vivian

I loved Pride and Prejudice. I don't know about this one though. It looks too glossed over. That will certainly make waste of a good opportunity to retell an astounding tragic story.

June 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marilyn M

That girl needs to eat something! She is so skinny she looks like she isn't long for this world! Not really the caliber to play Anna Karenina, in my opinion. She is too young, and she sure is no Vivien Leigh or Greta Garbo.,

June 23, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. LadyCroft

She brutalized Pride and Prejudice - Please, spare me another massacre. Can't she go pout at an original screenplay and leave books alone? She always has the most daft expression on her face. Either she looks completely constipated or surprised the cameras are there.

June 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. peick

OK, the cynic in me wonders how Hollywood is going to portray the adultery. Tolstoy portrays it as a scandal that people gradually grow used to, but which tortures Anna and finally leads to her death. In our day and age, I would not be surprised to see a movie maker treat it as a great thing that everyone feels really good about and which leads to more happiness. That's our daily fare from the movies and TV. So my question is, will the moral tone of the movie match the book? I guess we have to wait and see.

June 22, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. angelosdaughter

This looks fantastic. I love period Russian films, anyway. I finally got around to reading the book a couple of years ago along with two other novels that have similarities: Madame Bovary, and Vanity Fair. I can't wait to see this movie, and I will be buying the DVD

June 22, 2012 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Paula

Kiera Knightley is sooooo great in period films and Joe Wright is the perfect director for her. Shall we say "Pride and Prejudice". I can't wait to see this film!!!

June 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. liz

why can they just pick another classic novel to make it into a film? why the same thing over and over again...there are like 5 versions of anna karenina, great gatsby and the miserable.
    there are so many great classic books out there with amazing plot! how about an Emile Zola book? hollywood is not creative at all. once they have a subject (vampires, snow white, etc) they tend to explode it...BORING!

June 21, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lindsay L.

I'd like to see her as Sasha Grey.....getting sodomized by 50 hung Black dudes.

June 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mammy

At least they didn't remake it with an all colored people cast.

June 21, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sally

Ya, no doubt. Did it ever occur to Hollywood that other races also exist?

June 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ve have Vays

Who is the Director of this sleaze fest Jerry Springer? Utter Trash.....

June 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dung man

Breathtaking indeed. Now I will retire to my front yard and poop.

June 21, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • The **REAL** Observer

You people are quite confused. I cannot believe you have fallen for someone else using someone else name YET AGAIN.

June 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rotflmao

Nah man,that is no trailer, that is the village looking for observer.

June 21, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • JellyBean@rotflmao

LOL! Yeah, lets see what kind of lame comment he leaves here.

June 21, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Central Scrutinizer

No thank you. I normally don't hang around trailer parks, unlike most of you. LOWEST. INCOME. HOUSING. EVER!

June 21, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • rotflmao

My gardener lives in a trailer, said you were his neighbor. Yea you know about low income housing, eh?

June 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Observer

And more lame-o troll comments by Observer.

June 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Here's a hint for all of you jack-azzes:

rotflmao = fake observer = central scrutinizer

Playing all of you. Hook, line and sinker. Sad. Nothing sadder than someone posing as the "bad guy" so they can play the Hero. Bored kid, most likely.

June 21, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Add JellyBean to that equation. Dude never leaves WYWW. Another persona. Just adds more to the sadness.

June 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • moome

Jellybeans not a dude, that's Alecia.

June 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Hunt1914

How incredibly sumptuous and breathtaking. I can only hope that this trailer is a true example of the film and not an exception as so many are.

June 21, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. Adiff

If anyone is able to make Tolstoy's vignette of Russian's 19th Century glitterrati compelling as 21st Century cinema it's Knightley. Her work might just tempt me to see this umpteenth version of this old newsprint serial novella.

June 21, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. Forgetmenot

I love the Wright period films!!! Trailer promises a great drama of the same quality as his other films....looking so forward to it's release!!

June 21, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  16. duh

man now they're really scraping the bottom of creativity barrel, couldn't you just remake Porky's or something?

June 21, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |