'The Killing': Say hello to the bad guy(s)
June 18th, 2012

'The Killing': Say hello to the bad guy(s)

[This post contains spoilers from the June 17 episode of AMC's "The Killing."]

Sunday night's episode aired the moment I’ve been waiting two seasons for - and more or less predicted last week.

After 26 episodes, the mystery of who killed Rosie Larsen was revealed in the second season finale, “What I Know.” Sure, Rosie was murdered because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it was a lot more complicated and heartbreaking than we thought.

Jamie,  Darren Richmond's campaign manager/the new prime suspect, brought Richmond to the campaign office and filled him in on his mayoral win. Of course, Richmond wanted to know what happened to Rosie, and after blurting out, “It was an accident," Jamie proceeded to tell his boss what we as viewers (those of us left, anyway) were dying to know. Kind of.

Jamie, Michael Ames and Chief Nicole Jackson put together a scheme to sabotage the Adams campaign, with the hope that when Richmond became mayor he could dole out favors to these Seattle power players. Once the meeting was over and Ames and Jackson left, Jamie found Rosie - who heard the whole thing and had her video camera with her but didn’t actually film that particular action.

Jamie confronted her, knocked her unconscious and thought she was dead. He then proceeded to the woods with her body, but she came to and bolted. Jamie then chased her through the woods, knocked her out once more and put her body in the trunk. BUT, he didn’t push the car in the water…

As an aside, Jamie’s whole “I did this for you” spiel that he gave Richmond almost bordered on cheese, but I guess the point to be made was that Jamie’s mind obviously wasn't in the right place. As I thought, though, he didn't have it in him to be the finisher.

He did have it in him to pull a gun on Linden and Holder when they arrived at the campaign office with Gwen Eaton, but Holder shot him dead. It seemed like everything was good and solved, except there was like, another 50 minutes left, meaning Linden had time to link up who she thought were the co-conspirators.

Meanwhile, the Larsens were moving on, literally.  The family was busy packing up for their new house in the 'burbs with Mitch leading the charge. Naturally, Linden and Holder wanted to share the good news with the family that takes the cake for having the worst two seasons of any I can remember on television in a long time. No disrespect to the Kardashians.

At the Larsens, the tangled web of Rosie's death unraveled even more, and there Aunt Terry was, sitting in the middle playing the black widow. Talking to Terry in the garage, Linden noticed that her tail light was busted. We know that whomever dropped Ames off that night was driving a car with a busted tail light, and seeing as Terry and this guy were lovers, it had to be her, right?

In arguably the best and saddest scenes of the entire season (and maybe the series), Linden and Holder confronted Terry in Rosie’s room, and she looked all sorts of guilty. They told her they knew she picked Ames up from the ferry, and she offered up the rest.

It turns out Ames was called to the lake by Jamie, and was escorted there by Terry. Jamie and Ames were arguing about what to do with Rosie’s body in the trunk of the car, with Ames wanting no part of a murder.  No conclusion could be made ... until Terry made the decision for them. Thinking she was helping Ames reach his shady dreams, Terry set the car in motion and let it ride into the lake. We could hear Rosie screaming for her life.

Terry told this story to our detectives, and Stan and Mitch returned home in time to hear the world’s most chilling story. “I didn’t know it was Rosie,” Terry pleaded before Stan tried to kill her. (Another aside: No way Holder’s stronger than Stan. No way he’s holding him back right there.)

Either way, Terry basically admitted she would have killed for Ames, and apparently did at the cost of her niece’s life. Case. Closed.

To be honest, the episode was its strongest up until this point, and then the story got a little sloppy. For example, immediately after Jamie died and the killers were revealed, Richmond went right to work with Chief Jackson and Ames, even having the Chief’s involvement in the case cleared. Yes, he went to the dark side, but why? Doesn’t make sense. Oh, well.

In one of the better closing moments, the Larsens watched the footage from Rosie’s last reel. She made a video saying goodbye and that she loved her family and would let them know where she ended up. It was probably the second-best (or tied for first) scene of the season, and if you didn’t tear up you must be too cool for school because it was well done.

Oh, and what about the future of our detectives and the show? In the car, Linden and Holder got a call about another body and a new case. It  looked like a good setup for a third season until Linden hopped out of the car with that look of exhaustion/depression on her face. She walked down the street staring at the Larsens old house, and then the credits rolled.

What did you think of the finale? Should AMC order more seasons?

1. Used Cisco

Hello there, You have performed an incredible job. I'll definitely digg it and for my part recommend to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefited from this website.

September 6, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. IKC

I didn't particuarly like this series, but I wanted to find out who killed Rosie Larson. So every week I watched and endured. Then I left for vacation and forgot to set my DVR for the final two episodes. I wasn't nearly as upset as I would have been for other shows. I finally just read the recap on the AMC web site and felt relieved that I knew who the killer was without having to sit through two hours of television. Frankly, I suspected the political toady from the beginning and wasn't surprised. I was very shocked that Terry was the one who put the car in drive and accidentily killed her niece. Frankly, I would have preferred to have watched the original Danish verison of this show. American remakes are always weaker than the original. I will not be watching Season 3.

July 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Julie

I loved this show. I felt the majority of both seasons were filled with excellent plots and I couldn't wait for Sunday to come. I definitely would love for there to be a third season.

June 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. benedictus

Perfect: the banality of evil in Richmond, the Indian leader; idealism is veneer.
    Misdirected love yields tragic consequences. This is excellence. A morality play that baffles, bores, and lives wounds that cannot heal. Masterpiece, by far the best ending of the year.

June 23, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  5. Blanca

Excellent acting,one of the few quality series like Homeland,boarwalk and Justified that I like to follow.So bring it back we have so few

June 21, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. JM

As far as Holder not being stronger than Stan, see how far YOU get when someone puts you in a choke.

June 21, 2012 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Dayenu

I guess the writer missed the part where Holder is a NINJA. Duh. :)

June 21, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. LL

I like the show, it's slow, dark and a bit depressing, but I do love all the charactors! No one is perfect, the lines are very blurred and the charactors are all flawed. I would like to see more of Linden and Holder, so I hope it comes back.

June 20, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Khaleeshi

Loved this show – I hope it comes back for another season. The ending made me cry – so heartbreaking.

June 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Belgin

Loved the show, Linden & Holder...was a little confused or didnt catch it on what was Rosie doing on the tenth floor? Was sorry Richmond ended up working with the Indians and Aimes...hope show does come back.

June 20, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GoodDramaFan

Thoroughly enjoyed the finale !!! This is from someone who was very upset about the unnecessary cliffhanger at the end of season one and the extremely depressing tone of season 2. I wondered if the finale would be satisfying – and I have to be honest, AMC did a FANTASTIC job of wrapping things up. When Det. Linden was looking at the "busted Tail lamp" on the car, i was just blown away. That scene where the detectives confronted Terry, with Rosie's parents also in the room packed an emotional wallop for me – I had to play it over and over again. The ending of the show, with Rosie's family in the living room watching Rosie's video montage brought tears to my eyes. What a way to end the season !!! Great job AMC...

June 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MAC

YES! Order more shows!!! What is up Richmonds sleeve and why a dead body at the waterfront of all places? Also, it is really hard no matter how big you are to move with someone closing your trachea up with there for arm. That is why they had him hold him that particular way and not just his arms or something. Cops get that kind of training all the time on how to handle someone bigger than you are.

June 19, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. senorblanco

Great show. Hope it comes back. Loved Linden and Holder. For those complaining about the gloomy weather on the show...it's called ambiance, setting the tone. If you want sunny skies, go watch The Glades or Hawaii 5 O.

June 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Atticus

Love this show and it's weather. This show has the best writers, best actors and by far the best finale this year. I love Mad Men too but the finale sucked.

June 19, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Frank

Holder is awesome gotta come back. Linden love her

June 19, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. barbara

Loved this show from the beginning to the end. Really loved that it wasn't all slicked up. The writing was great as were the actors. I thought the finale was VERY satisfying. Would love to see a 3rd season, but how can they top the murder of an innocent girl.... well if the writers are really good, they will. It maybe that Linden's son decides to stay with his dad, or Linden finds some permanment digs for them and he's more in the background. So what would draw Linden back? It would have to be a really good reason.

June 19, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. snotboogy

So it wasn't the spirit BOB that killed her and wrapped her in plastic?

June 19, 2012 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. majidi

Who played Rosie? What is the actresses,name. She was great...but got no credit.

June 19, 2012 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  17. antonio

omg I loved the show it was very good. Never thought I see a show like that. That show is outstanding. And awesome. Loved it!!!!

June 19, 2012 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  18. AZSetts

June 19, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  19. Sher

Loved the show from the first Episode-Season One..

SUPERB cast & crew..hopefully some Emmy Nods coming their way..

Hoping a Season 3 is on the way...

June 19, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  20. Bucktooth

Loved the show!! Actors, plot..only thing is the gloomy Seattle climate! I spent 6.5 yrs in Portland..it was just the worst place I could ever have lived! Gloomy, which set the stage for this sad story!
    a 3rd season if they could film it with some sun!!

June 18, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cris salinas

I just started watching this show two weeks ago..I saw both seasons in 2 weeks..I thought the show was well written and each episode had alot of twists and turns.The season finale was heartbreaking and emotional.If you didnt have a tear in your eye then you have no heart.I hope it will be renewed another season.

June 18, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

Great show, real class act. AMC gets some really fine shows but often fails to renew them. I sure hope they bring The Killing back. My only problem with AMC is they load way too many commercials in to it.

June 30, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  22. Tama

I am still confused about the photo of Rosie bound in the trunk, which Terry found in Stan's desk drawer under the ream of paper (earlier this season). Can someone please explain how it got there?

June 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eileen

The head of the Polish Mob brought the pictures to show Stan so he would know that the police had lied about Rosie not being alive as she entered the water. He hid them in the drawer.

June 19, 2012 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • buck

a few episodes back, stans mobster buddy Yelnick gave him a package that had photos and information on the murder in it. Yelnick then asked him to kill somebody as payment for the information.

June 20, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  23. Lucy Elle Lovejoy

I really enjoyed this series and hope AMC brings it back for a 3rd season. It was well written and well performed!!! All the clues were given in both seasons for the 3rd...bring it back

June 18, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Don Huntsberger

This was a very good series, plot, sub plots as diversions ( red herrings ) etc. All very engaging for the viewers to interact with the
    course of the show with each episode.
    Definately worthy of another season of mystery. Thanks to all involved in bringing this to the public.

June 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. bill

who killed rosie larson? pfft who cares? I wish someone would kill rosie odonell or how ever u spell that cows name

June 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Someone Who Can Spell

For someone who can't be bothered to spell "you" it's not surprising you can't be bothered to take the ten seconds necessary to Google the spelling of O'Donnell's name.

June 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Michael Caliazzo

January Jones is a Black belt in Judo.

June 18, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Artie

When Richmond met with Ames and Chief Jackson why was Gwen left waiting? Is that what he meant when he said to her on the phone from his wife's grave that it was time to move on? She was in love with him.

June 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Patrick

One big piece of story not followed up on was Linden's kid. Really, she should have quit this case and taken care of the home front, but her obsession carried her through. To me, the obsession made the show, but it shouldn't make us forget about her kid. Especially if they were not going to set up another case for another season, give me 1-2 minutes of her going right home to her kid and telling him he gets her attention now.

June 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  29. kathryn

One of the finest detective shows on TV! Excellent acting! The last scene with the Larsons watching the video was a tear jerker! Also, the scene with Aunt terry was sad! Linden and Holder were superb! I hope the series returns! This is a smart show! I am tired of the reality shows! They are stupid! The good Wife and The Killing are the two top dramas on TV!

June 18, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  30. frank

Show moved WAY too slow for me, I lost complete interest. Needs to move faster and have one season be one crime. I might come back if they speed it up a bit.

June 18, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJinCVCA

Frank, I completely and unequivically agree with you. Watching this show is like trying to watch grass grow. I approached it the first season with an open mind–the commercials for it drew my attention–and I didn't have too high expectations, but what I got was a program filled with bland, predictable, 2-dimensional, and depressing characters in the midst of an over-wrought, sluggish, plot line...so much so that after a while I started to care less about who killed Rosie Larson, and I cared more about picking up a new book and read instead.

June 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  31. j

awesome, show want more

June 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • judy

I agree. Great show and actors.....I definitely want another season.
      However it would be nice if the mystery was resolved at the end of the season
      and you did not have to wait until the following season.

June 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  32. stan the man

Great series, a little to long for most people. A lot of people dropped out because of the two years to find the murderer.

June 18, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jimmy

I would have sworn that the ending would have been more surprising than what we saw. A lot of the bloggers pegged Jamie and Terry as the culprits. Almost a little too predictable. Personally, I though it would emerge that Linden's neglected son was responsible. THAT would have been a helluva curve ball twist. Also, there were too many loose ends left unresolved. We never did see the fourth person step onto the elevator. What if it had been someone other than Terry!

June 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  34. puma girl

I usually do not bother to keep up with series but I did for this one. Maybe missed 1 or two due to vacations but I loved it.
    Now what do I do with my Sunday nights ? Reality shows are so incredibly stupid. I guess I'll watch re-runs of cooking channels.

June 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  35. MMeans

Good show, but stop with the BS pouring down rain all the time in Seattle. We don't even use umbrellas for God's sake, it's how we know which people are tourists. And the torrential downpours shown on the show? Pure Hollywood, I've seen that twice in the past 5 years. 4 months out of the year, it's nothing but 75-80 degrees and sunny, so stop with rain.

June 18, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  36. independentlyowned

I was totally hooked on the show and did enjoy it, but there were a lot of complicated plot points that they kind of just threw in there and never really addressed. Like Linden's psychotic past? The cops always bring it up, but we're not sure what it means. Also, why did the police tamper with the evidence? Why were they so against Linden solving the murder (same reason they put Holder on the case, b/c he had a reputation of being a drug addicted, dirty cop)? What did that escort website have to do with ANY part of the show? Or the Polish mob? The motive seemed pretty simple: Rosie was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But all these complicated plot twists just elongated the series significantly without adding to its value.

Also, personal pet peev, Mireille Enos (Linden) is gorgeous in real life! Why is she always frumpy looking with turtleneck sweaters and a ponytail??

June 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Kay

I don't believe they ever revealed who broke into the hotel room and put the picture of the trees on the refrigerator. Perhaps the killer from the previous murder that Linden never actually solved???

June 18, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eileen

It was the head of security for the casino who put the picture on the fridge. Linden talked to her about it but it was not shown.

June 19, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  38. jack

I thought the show was well written and the character development was very strong. The two detectives where flawed average human beings and not the typical TV super heroes that we see far too often.

I thought the ending was heartbreaking and kept with the theme that some of the characters made poor decisions past and present.

I hope AMC brings this series back...its much better than the type good VS evil type of shows.

June 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • ggttc

I enjoyed the show for the same reasons...Linden was not pretty, not brilliant, flawed and confused...but with a pitbull mentality...and her partner played off of her in a realistic way...enjoyed it.

June 18, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. LV

I loved the show...mainly because it never felt rushed. The character arcs were great. I think they should definitely do a 3rd season, but mix it up American Horror Story style. They should have all the actors back, but playing completely different characters.

June 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Brendan

The only part of the series I didn't like was the wife going off on her journey...I was way over her. I was all excited when they got the new case but AMC left themselves open for whatever they decide with that ending. I would love the series to continue as long as the writing can stay up-to-par.

June 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jerry

Thought the season ending was awesome and I am hoping for at least a third season.

June 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  42. LaVieja

Loved the series. Like the Llinden/Holder pairing. One thing I'd like to see changed: I get that Seattle's weather is dreary most of the time (I grew up in Bellevue), but the product itself is literally too dark. But then again I'm old, so maybe . . .

June 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Bdep

One of the very few shows I watched this season. Excellent, and I hope it comes back and with both the detectives.

June 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Mike S

Poorman's Twin Peaks. You can have it.

June 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  45. DP

I hope they bring the show back . I don't think that they dragged it out or the show's were tiresome. They were only 26 episodes which is less than one season of network television. What happened to the attention span of America?

June 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  46. The Dude

Show was very good, but not great. Recommend that they try and stick to a new murder, in a new city with new characters with each murder taking one to two seasons to solve. I think that this show would have been amazing in 22 episodes, 26 just pushed it too far. I'm sure that there will be a season three, but they should only follow one of the current protagonists with the other serving an occassional cameo or telephone call favor kind of thing. I'm very glad that the killer turned out to be someone introduced early on in the show, adding characters at the last minute in a whodunnit is weak writing.

June 18, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Chuck

It looked to me like Rosie made an 8mm movie (film) rather than a video.
    I'll never watch another episode.

June 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pointless

What's your point? Ever hear of transferring data from one medium to another? :P

June 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  48. ini

my favorite TV series
    the final was amazing

June 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  49. sarah

The ending was great! We see Richmond go to the dark side as he sides with the people he stood against.(the Killing of his vaules) and the sister! WOW.It did have some drag in the series,almost stopped watching it,but glad I did not .The acting was great.I would watch it again

June 18, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jash

In regards to why Mayor Richmond went to the dark side is obvious becuase of the discussion he had with Lesley Adams about how it took him 3 tries to be mayor and only him once..(Before Jamie was killed he told Richmond he was lying to himself about the person he is trying to be and the person he is)...So all of the bad deeds Jamie did in fact help him win the race...So hope they bring it back!...Watched every single episode religiously!!!

June 18, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Slosh

Exactly. Lesley told Richmond that "The person doesn't change the office, but the office changes the person." Him meeting with Ames and Chief Jackson is to show that the office (and what has gone on to get him there) has changed him.

June 18, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Boo

I like this show alot and the ending surprised me. I hope AMC brings it back next season.

June 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  52. EMC

We've watched the show since its beginning; this second season was tiresome at best, but the finale was at least some reward for our dedication to the show. We're definitely curious to see if anything comes of a third season.... And as for all the haters, give me a break.

June 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  53. James

I read the recaps more than I watched the show... But Renait, why aren't you writing recaps if you're so awesome? You just wrote a paragraph and got nothing for it. A high schooler could have done that.

June 18, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renait

I never said I was "so aweesome." But I am also not being paid to write for CNN. The fact that you don't see what is wrong with this article demonstrates that a) reading drivel like this has lowered your expectations; b) you too would have trouble pretending to have graduated from high school; or c) you wrote this article.

June 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Anita

Wow. Read that second to last paragraph.

June 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Renait

I didn't particularly enjjoy this series because it was sloppily done – as was this article. What are the qualifications for becoming a CNN writer these days? Not poking yourself in the eye with the pencil whlie you write? If you're not going to bother hiring editors, at least hire people who can at least pretend to have graduated from high school.

June 18, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |