Kardashians still being asked why they're famous, this time by Oprah
June 15th, 2012

Kardashians still being asked why they're famous, this time by Oprah

We just might be in for some verbal fireworks between Oprah Winfrey and members of the Kardashian family this Sunday.

The famed talk show host indicated on Facebook that she dug deep with Kim Kardashian about her two-second 72-day marriage to basketball player Kris Humphries.

"This interview I'd say was another level of forthrightness and honesty," she wrote. "Why did she leave after 72 days? Her answer leveled me.”

To prepare for their talk, which will air on OWN Sunday, Winfrey said she "did a full-on Kardashian Kram."

"I had never met them, nor seen the show," she admitted of one of TV’s most famous reality show families.

Well, it's a good thing she did her homework because Winfrey said she spent a *lot* of time on set with Kim, Kourtney, Khloe and the rest of the krew.

It was the "longest interviewing session I can ever recall, talking to ALLLLLLLL the Kardashians,” quipped Winfrey. Still, she implied, it was worth it.

"I genuinely wanted to know why they have become a cultural phenomenon,” she added. “Why do so many people love to watch their every move and why do so many others love to hate them. Are they completely ego centered? Are they really 'famous for being famous' or is there something more?"

“Oprah's Next Chapter” featuring the Kardashians airs this Sunday at 8 p.m. on OWN.

1. Marissa

Ya know, it's funny to read all of the negative comments about the Kardashians when they're in their 7th season and have had numerous spinoffs. If everyone hates them so much and no one ever watches the show, how are they so successful?

August 25, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jake

Oh and i'm pretty sure the name Kardashian + Honesty is a universal impossibility

July 11, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dr. Pat

The Kardashians are on TV because that's the way Chuck Norris wants it.

I would watch but that Bruce creature scares my cats.

July 10, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mids

I will never comprehend America's fascination with pretty people who contain no substance. Money, power, glitz and glamor. Just meatbags, waiting for the flies.

Pathetic, meaningless, waste of DNA.

July 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. infonomics

What a blessing that Oprah and Kim live, for they distract the masses from any attempts at thinking !

July 7, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cindy

I think some of you all are just jealous that the Kardashians are so successful without even having any real talent......well all I can say is that's one brilliant family they sure know how to make money by all means ,damn I would like to know their strategy.

July 2, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • KAL

The Kardashians are the four horsemen of the apocolypse.

July 3, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Fed Up With Stupid

Jealous? Spare me. You want to know their secret, Cindy? Just bang every rich black guy in America and keep doing it until you die.

July 3, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Fed up With Stupid

I don't understand your name. How do you live with yourself then?

July 3, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Crocker

Simple really. There are tens of thousands of big boobed big butted nice looking girls in this country already. The DIFFERENCE is that the Kardashian clan knows how to market their 'assets'.

June 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cody B

Oprah only did this interview for ratings. Oprah is grasping for anything to get more ratings for her show. She is sinking and sinking fast and thinks, lets do an interview with the Kardashians, then millions of people will watch my show again. Wrong!!!! Oprah, I don't have cable, won't get cable, think cable is a rip off and too expensive. You had it made on NBC with your show. You were a Queen, but you got greedy and felt you could make a bundle if you started your own TV network. It's not that easy is it? You should beg NBC for your job back and close down your network. If you don't you might as well interview the kardashians 5 days a week on your show because that's the only people watching it is the kardashian lovers.

June 25, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. tom

I am disappointed that Oprah felt the need to further focus any camera or media time on this disgusting family of ho's...let by the Madam of the house, their mother. (and I use that term loosely....well not as loose as them) Thewse KarTRASHians are not worth one minute of anyone's time...and yes...I'm responding because I HATE even seeing their names in any form of media and hope enough people will finally say....GO the *%# away.

June 25, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. avgJoe123456

Kardashians still being asked why they're famous, – Seriously even back in Oprah's day the lose girls were always popular, of course they had enough class to hide it not flaunt it. Would someone for the love of decency take them off the air, it scares me that kids consider them role models as well as those nit wits on Jersey Shore

June 21, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Daniel

The only reason why any guy watches the K.s is that they are waiting for Kimmy to drop her top (unlikely, but possible..in guy land). The reason why girls watch the K's is that they think that since they can be famous (without talent) that they can also become famous (without talent). Other than that. No other good reason.

June 21, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

No straight guy anywhere near his right mind watches this show. And if you think anyone is watching it waiting to see a little pixelated nudity, you're kidding yourself.

June 22, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Peg

Soooo tired of the Whordashians

June 20, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Eddie O.

I hope Okra has an aha moment and ask Kim Karwreckian how her @nal leakage is going.

June 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Duke Skywalker

@Jomm.....Jomm in Greek means Horse peenus.....just saying...

June 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. why now?

Oprah is really searching for ratings. How is this interview any different from the hundreds of Kardashian interviews out there. Do we need to hear about Kim's fast divorce again??? Is the answer somehow going to change.

June 20, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  16. Central Scrutinizer

@jomm: as the kartrashians prove, you don't have to have talent to be famous. and as you said about Okra "she did not get this far alone". She stepped on lots of people to get where she is. that's why she binges on food. she feels guilty for all the people she used to achieve her success.

June 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. cxd

They have no clue what Pimpin' is if they think they are not being pimped – out.

Please. It's pimpin'[ at its finest. As any agent or manager in any industry..... Please.......

June 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  18. AgentM

I hope they pee on her.

June 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  19. VjM

Pleze Oprah, Don't stoop this low... Just say "NO"".

June 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. PumpNDump

Kim K. is fat, useless, pathetic, narcisstic, a pathological liar and, really, not attractive. No surprise she's a mudshark.

June 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Rebbeca

Please go away Oprah and take the Kartrashians with you. No one cares about this no talent loser family except no brained people watching this crap!

June 18, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Jomm

Well, you Rebbeca is in this post typing about them which means YOU CARE as well. Stop hatin.

June 19, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Central Scrutinizer

Oprah even got fired from her first job as a news reporter because she was so inept. Still wondering how she got this far. Personally, I can't stand her one bit.

June 18, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Jomm

Just because you do not like Oprah does NOT mean she does not have talent. She did not make this far on air alone; if so, why aren't you a billionaire and famous?

June 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Yoda

Smarter than a fifth grader, they are not.........

June 18, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  24. Timme62

I'm still trying to figure out Oprah's appeal?????

June 18, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  25. duh

i wouldn't mind getting involved in a "full on kardashian kram"

June 18, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  26. Central Scrutinizer

Maybe Oprah can get some tips on getting a black man to pop the question.

June 18, 2012 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  27. GovBlago

Because E! Keeps giving these gypsies a contract and TV airtime. That is the only reason they are followed.

June 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Central Scrutinizer

@cece: she's the CEO of OWN, but she has financial backers, etc. to answer to. Ratings plummeted, they stripped her of managerial power. Thety still need her nme, they just don't need her running it into the ground.

June 17, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. just sayin

surely she is still famous because of her big f@tty @ss

June 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  30. KM

They are famous due to the stupidity of the American public. If you quit watching the shows and buying the magazines, they will go away.

June 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  31. dina

This is television at it's worst which is often. Oprah, the Kardashians, this is about as bad as television can get. Television could be a great learning tool but it tends to stay on mindless, stupid shows like these but it makes the producers a lot of money and that is what it is all about.The Kardashians make young women think they are beautiful and smart when in fact they are just the opposite, stupid and ugly and fake. The mother is the best manager in the business at the expense of her children that she has groomed and raised to be the egotistical and narcissistic people they are. How sad to use you own children in that way.Even the newest batch has not been able to escape the mother. Sad Sad.

June 17, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  32. Sly Sadie

I have to admit that one day I was channel surfing during the half time of a football game that I was watching. I came across their show. I don't like this family, but I wanted to see exactly what the draw was on them. I watched one segment, commercial to commercial. I sat their dumbfounded, kind of like watching a train wreck. I could feel my brain cells draining from my head! It was the most idiotic thing I have ever seen! What even makes anyone with even half a brain become a fan of this family? Same with Jersey Shore. I just don't get it!

June 17, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Chelle

Exactly...same with basketball wives, and Love & Hip Hop...so embarrassing.

June 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  33. donald

Kim Kardashian72-day marriage to basketball player Kris Humphries were a set up for money ( it's a fake show). People watching them, pay money for the magazines....ect. It's all about advertising. Kim, Kris and media company made money out of the show. People so naive, wake up.

June 17, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  34. noni

New low for Oprah. Sad.

June 17, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  35. Central Scrutinizer

Lin, you are one of those responsible for the Kartrashians' continued popularity. You are so cluless you don't know how stupid you are.

June 16, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Lin Spencer

I think it is amazing how many people complain about the Kardashians. They are PAID to be on TV. Why is that so hard to understand? If producers, and people like Oprah keep offering the money, they will keep on being famous. They are entertaining, busy, muliti-businesses, and successful. I for one enjoy them, don't always agree with them, but heck..they probably wouldn't agree with everything that came out of my mouth either. I wish them success, and love. God BLess.

June 16, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  37. redhed

Oprah calling anyone ego-centered is laughable...she's the most self-centered person in Hollywood! And considering she's never even attempted to walk down the aisle, she's the last person to judge. Will Oprah ever go away???

June 16, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matthew Jahnke

Oprah never has gone anywhere, she's just got her own tv network.

As far as interviewing the Kardashians, it may be her downfall, but at least let her have this final interview.

June 16, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  38. LoLo

She is an actress too and her show obviously wasn't dumb if she made billions of money off it.

June 16, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

So by saying "actress too" you are implying that Kim or others of her family are actresses too! Which they are NOT. They get paid to have their lives followed. By using the word 'too" you are implying that they (Oprah and Kim) share something-either that or you do not have a grasp on grammar and the word too.

June 17, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  39. jen

...still a few jealous trolls on Marquee Blog...I could care less about that family,as for Oprah I think she's like my father,she retired to early...she needs to get a great hobby.My dad deep sea fishes and he loves it,just saying.

June 16, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Central Scrutinizer

Oprah got fired from OWN. She still has an office, but no power. She's desperate to get back in the spotlight. Sad, really.

June 16, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  41. betty

Still like Oprah but no one really cares about the Kardashians. I have yet to understand how they are famous. It sure isnt because of talent lol.

June 16, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Xerox

Can't wait to watch. I love oprah with a passion and I'm curious about the kardashians

June 16, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Geet

Can't wait for this interview. No wonder OWN's ratings have been going up the last couple months. This is fabulous. Love oprah.

June 16, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  44. DS

Kim and all the Kardashians have spend numerous hours working with their Mother and marketing team to discuss how they will answer questions. None of their answers are from the heart. They are "scripted" to the hilt! Oprah should know this. I am very disappointed by Oprah for conducting this fake interview. She used to be a beacon for truth and love. After hearing about this I can only concede that she is grasping at any straw to keep in the public. First the Obama mistake - now the Kardashian nightmare. As for the Kardashians, I have completely stopped watching The E Channel. I can't, with good conscious, put my brain and my time through a channel that has 24/7 shows about a fake family whose only concerns and desires are to make money and get their ego stroked.

June 16, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  45. gEater

LazyCash43.com

June 16, 2012 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  46. yup

i can't think of anyone that thinks either of these people is intresting.

June 16, 2012 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  47. nisie

that is a new low for Oprah, this no-talent, fake, fraudulent, pimped out mess of a family...lost all respect for you O...

June 15, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Chris

"This interview I'd say was another level of forthrightness and honesty"

This reminds me of when Pam Anderson said Baywatch was serious acting.

June 15, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Central Scrutinizer

put Okra in a room with the Kartrashians, what do you have? 4 useless people in one place.

June 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  50. CandidK

Funny thing....

Hasn't anyone told Kim K that the less she talks the smarter she sounds????

BORING!!!!!!!!!!!

June 15, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Kat A

Oprah digging deep asking questions????

What a JOKE!!!! Can honestly say I will never watch her show again. Her ratings are horrible.

Just think she had to actually PAY the Kardashians to talk on her show......funny!!!

June 15, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • barbara

I agree. There is nothing DEEP about any of the Kartrashians.... Kim is trying deparately to redeem herself from the stunt she pulled by doing a "fake" marriage to Chris. The best thing to do with garbage.... is take it to the dump.

June 16, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  52. Lonnie

Right place, right time. Some people have all the luck.

June 15, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Michael in Houston

a message to both Oprah and Kim....you obviously have no clue as to how many people actually find both of you neither interesting or entertaining. Certainly some watch....but mostly...its all you promoting yourselves to make us think your a cultural whatever....money, celebrity, and programming does not equate into how popular and enjoyed you are. And frankly, I cant think of two people more oversold and over exposed as you both. Get off the stage and out of camera.

June 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Snorlax

I think Oprah lost her relevance LONG ago. And the Tardashians never had any to begin with.

June 15, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  55. pennylane

Oprah must be bored........

June 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Ronny

"So why is it you like the dark meat?"

June 15, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. steve

again..was Khloe running in the Triple Crown?

June 15, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  58. akinbowale

Reblogged this on BookRepublic.

June 15, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  59. T.rex

Why is Oprah famous? She had a dumb show, just like the Kardashians.

June 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • LoLo

June 16, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janet

Not even sure why I'm even responding to such an i d i o t i c comment from such an obviously uneducated troll, but if you feel so strongly negative about either show... why are you here reading and writing about them?

June 22, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |