'The Bachelorette': Emily defends her daughter
June 12th, 2012

'The Bachelorette': Emily defends her daughter

Monday's "Bachelorette" took Emily and the 10 remaining men to London, with Chris Harrison taking the time to remind the "bachelors" that only one of them would become Emily's husband.

Yes, he used the "h" word, proving that our beloved host may be more delusional than we thought.

Sean the insurance agent had the first individual date of the show, with a date card clue of "love takes no prisoners."  (I didn't know wearing too much plaid was a crime in Britain.)

Sean and Emily took a double-decker bus ride through London, then posed at various tourist attractions to the delight of each other. Emily thanked Sean for not being boring, which I guess counts as a compliment. Sean responded by heading to Speakers' Corner, the famous home of public debate and discourse in Hyde Park, to speak about love in the most robotic way possible.

Later that night, Emily and Sean had dinner at the Tower of London, where Emily proudly noted "King Henry" once lived.  Good start, Emily, but there was more than one Henry who ruled England. Then Sean shared that he'd like between "three and 10" babies, prompting Emily to give him a rose.

The group date had eight of the men perform scenes from "Romeo and Juliet" with Emily, but that wasn't the story of the date. The big news came at the post-date party, where Kalon was exposed for who he actually is.

You remember Kalon, right? The Texas man-child who entered the show on a helicopter? He's spent the last few weeks making snide remarks to both Emily and the men, most of the time to their faces.

Emily expressed some concern about Kalon on a previous episode, but opted to keep him around - no doubt because "The Bachelorette" needs to hold on to its ratings.

But this time, Kalon may have gone too far. During the Sean date, Kalon told Jef with one "f" and another guy at the hotel that any date with Emily was a "group date," referring to Emily's daughter. Jef, who wasn't going on the group date, basically told Kalon where to stick it.

Fast-forward to the party, where "Bobblehead" Chris played telephone, telling Arie that Kalon basically called Emily's daughter "baggage." When confronted by the other contestants Kalon admitted to saying it, so the guys debated who should tell Emily.

That honor went to Doug the real estate agent and charity founder, who may have referred to Kalon as "Kaitlyn" when he spilled the story.

Emily, who was so angry about this that she had to take off her jacket, told Kalon that he's a terrible human being and to take a hike.  A wonderful moment for sure, but it was missing one important facet - a Benny Hill-style chase. Imagine it:  Kalon being chased through London by Emily, the other contestants, Chris Harrison and various other people, all to the music of "Yakety Sax."  That would be ratings gold.

But Emily's wasn't done yet! After some time to cool off, she took aim at the other men on the group date, lambasting them for not warning her about Kalon beforehand. As a result, no one got a rose, which confused me.

Emily appeared to warn herself about Kalon earlier, but now she's upset that no one else said anything? It sounds as if Emily wants the men to snitch to her about the wrongs of their rivals, but if that happened we'd be down to one contestant by the end of the first cocktail party. Emily may be a great mother, but she tends to treat the men like they're her five-year-old sons.

On the second individual date, Jef and Emily had an etiquette lesson on afternoon tea from a proper British woman, which was funny at times. Jef looked legitimately afraid of this woman.

Finally, they went to a pub for some pints after Jef was quizzed on the proper way to head to the bathroom.

During their pub stop, Jef admitted that he called Kalon out on his "group date" remarks at the hotel, adding that if Emily's daughter is "baggage" she's a classic handbag. (Easily one of the worst attempts at a compliment I've ever heard.)

Later that night, Emily and Jef went to the London Eye, which is essentially a futuristic Ferris wheel, for dessert. Alas, they didn't make a dent on what appeared to be ice cream parfaits. Instead, they downed champagne and discussed Kalon some more, with Jef pledging to always be truthful to her. Emily liked the comment, and gave Jef a rose in the process.

At the rose ceremony, Emily decided to get rid of Alejandro the mushroom farmer, presumably for saying all of one sentence during the episode.  Maybe he's not much of a fungi. (Thanks, I'm here all week!)

Next week, Emily and the eight remaining guys head to Croatia where we'll discover if any of them can find Croatia on a map.  Plus, the men appear to narc on one of their own again.

What did you think of last night's "Bachelorette" episode?

« Previous entry
  1. Marie

Am still watching this show....down to eight and still counting. After the last show.....I find the show slowly going in the direction of "BORING".....What was Emily thinking taking guys to a kiddy movie.....uck! She definitely has "kids" and lots of them on her mind! I have looked and looked and can not find any thing interesting in her.....she should be concentrating on a career .....does she have a degree? She wants a "dad" obviously.....but does she have anything to offer in the relationship.....She is young and should concentrate on making a good life for herself and her daughter. A relationship will come eventually.....naturally.

June 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. inCali

Emily is looking for an accessory to go along with her and her daughter, she's not looking for love and is often yawning on these dates unless the subject is about her and ricky. Did you hear her ask if the guy had 3 divorces and 7 children??? What a phony! double-standard! When it's not her situation she's thinking about then it's a liability to be divorced and have children. How terrible.

June 16, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joe Joe

My wife makes me watch this show once in a while, and from what I've seen
    Its going to take a real strong-confident-mature type man to provide the level of care and protection Emily needs for herself and her daughter. None of the guys have all those traits.

June 16, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. crepes

@DT
    I completely agree. She has zero personality and most of the dates this season have been so blah and boring...

June 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Withheld

I just wish that, since "will you accept this rose" is the big key line in the show, that Emily could actually learn to say it. She just always mumbles the line. It is so strange. And then, I guess because she is whispering, the guys also respond in a low voice. It's pretty funny.

June 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lise

Dear Emily
    I think you should cut some of the nice guys some slack regardeing not standing up to kaelon. Some one did talk to you about it and you were forewarned. When you tossed him on his ear there really wasn't a chance for the other guys to speak up. You were full charge ahead and I completley understand this as I was a single Mom too for 8 years and got used to handling everything myself. hen I did meet someone serious it was a real challenge to let my husband have a piece of my son. Take care. \You will find him.

June 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jamie

The fact that this person had to explain what the London Eye is makes me worry.

June 13, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bittersweet

Why would she want to get married? I'm married, and, I would love to push my husband into oncoming traffic right now.

June 12, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ann

Emily is bland and hollow. Was so painful to watch her being a London' tourgide. And so bizarre behavior being upset that nobody warn her about Kalon? Didn't Doug the Dad talk to her?

June 12, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • gay

Honestly you are so right, Emily could not be more blah. I usually love the show, but this season its all about a dad for Ricki. What were the writers/producers thinking. The family drama and her looking for a dad should be a whole other show for the family. Shame on them for throwing a kid into the mix.

June 19, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. lynn

Love Emily!! She is more concerned about her child than herself. Jef or Sean would be great guys to date. The others,esp. Ryan need to hit the road. Hope she finds someone who will treat her and her daughter well. The haters are just jealous and are too stupid to turn the channel.

June 12, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Just Me Saying..

I love my men rugged and strong. Who wants a whimpy a5.5 pu.5.5y man who would bow to my every need. Geezes, nothing is more of a turn off than a man w/o a spine. Where is the thrill in that?

June 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jimbo

I have watched this show a few times and Emily really gets on my nerves. Personally, she acts like a b__h! She didn't have to so wrapped around the wheel. This is Kalon's opinion which obviously he thought about it before he said it. Perhaps he didn't know how to approach with this thought and he expressed it to a fellow contestant (funny, huh? The word, "contestant." That's the way it seems to me, like a friggen contest). So, in typical American female fashion, the female rules the roost, the men have to become feminized and now watch all the snitching that will be going on, because they'll figure that's the way to earn her trust. Great. Whatever happened to the guy code?

June 12, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MiMo

@slobberboy, yeah, but if it was the bachelor kissing all the women, then you would be like "You go boy!"

I'm sold on Sean. Emily should look no further. Nuf said.

June 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. slobberboy

I will admit she has fine pair of butt-halves, but my god woman – you have traded more man spit that freddy mercury ever did. Do you really need to suck the tongues of every guy on every date? I'd be worried about getting cold sores or something worse from you. Seriously. I guess you aren't saving it all for marriage...

June 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • crowing

Obviously, you have not watched the Bachelor. All Ben did was make out every chance he got. It meant nothing to him except to get a little from everyone possible. He was unkempt, ugly with no personality and certainly no meaningful topics. Emily has been a bit more selective.

June 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Marie

I must add that having a child and trying to find a husband that is accepting of this kid is probably difficult. Emily should concentrate on what she wants in a husband and not expect the guy to be a "perfect" dad! I like to watch this show because like most women I love the romance, and daydream on how I would handle the situation. Emily is a beautiful woman but she tends to just want more children and not focus on real life!

June 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. @DT

Wow. u need to get a life. U wrote a book. Yet u come on here to judge this person.

June 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Not a Bachelorette Fan

Why are you two wasting your time watching this show? I am sure they are better reruns on tv and even cable that you can get more enjoyment out of it.

June 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Not a Bachelorette Fan

Who says anyone here outside of DT watches the show?

June 12, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Truth Hurts

There's a reason why these people are still single... and on a reality show.

Outside of two couples (I think?) this show hasn't produced a long-lasting couple otherwise. These clowns are single for a reason, and it shows. Maybe it's time for Emily to look in the mirror and see why she is the way she is.

June 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. DT

She seems like a nice person but she comes across as a bit of an airhead who just giggles and shakes her hair. She does not seem to have much of a personality, but maybe that is because all she ever hears is how gorgeous she is and no one else seems to bring up any other topic.

I agree, she treats the guys like they're children. She also seems to be treating the whole process as an interview for the position of Father; she never says what she has to offer besides her airhead giggle and "I know, right?" everytime she agrees with something they say. Has she even asked any of the guys what they are looking for besides the obvious?

I'm not sure what she expects from these guys as far as her daughter goes; I think they met her daughter once and that was not even in a 1:1 scenario. She seems like a sweet little girl but for all they know, her daughter could be an absolute terror.

Had anyone else made the "it's always going to be a group date" remark I don't think it would have been a big deal. He was, in fact, correct about this. It's no different than a single parent saying to a potential partner "my child and I are a package deal." It IS a big change to take on a child that is not your own and it's not always going to be rainbows and unicorns. I think it is smart to realize that and accept it, prepare for it and embrace it. I think Emily's setting herself up for disappointment if she does not realize this.

I also think it was crummy of her to send Alejandro (or was it Alessandro?) home. She barely talked to the guy. For his age I thought he was very mature and gracious in his departure. She should have kept him around and gotten rid of delusional Ryan. Personally I think the show gives the Bachelor/Bachelorette one less rose than they give out. I think the producers reserve a rose for the show's villain until just before "the quarterfinals" or even the final.

June 12, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  20. ProperVillain

I'm pretty sure most of the guys, and Emily, couldn't find London on a map either....

June 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |