'Gilmore Girls' is back ... but now it's called 'Bunheads'
June 12th, 2012

'Gilmore Girls' is back ... but now it's called 'Bunheads'

Can lightning strike twice? Amy Sherman-Palladino didn't just create and write fan favorite TV show "Gilmore Girls" - she was (and still is) Lorelai Gilmore.

After her follow-up, the sitcom "The Return of Jezebel James," flopped, how might a new hour-long series on ABC Family turn out?

"Bunheads," which premiered Monday night, is another in a long line of great shows with bad titles (see "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Cougar Town," for example).

Tony winner (and let's face it, current queen of Broadway) Sutton Foster is perfectly cast as Michelle, a Las Vegas showgirl who follows one of her stalker/admirers on a whim back to his hometown after a disastrous audition. Oh yeah, and they got married in Vegas.

It turns out that the hometown, Paradise, California, is almost a West coast version of "Gilmore Girls'" Stars Hollow. It also turns out that Hubbell, the stalker/admirer, lives with his mother ("like a serial killer," observes Michelle), who happens to teach a dance class.

If Lorelai had no kids and decided to train as a dancer instead, that would be this show.

The fast-paced dialogue is still there. It's even remarked upon by Hubbell's mother, Fanny: "Oh my God, the quips, the chatter. Don't you ever just shut up?"

That's Kelly Bishop - yes, "Mrs. Gilmore" is in another terrific role. Hubbell, by the way, is Alan Ruck ("Ferris Bueller," "Spin City") who is also great in practically everything.

We don't know quite enough about Michelle's young dance students, but I'm sure that will change with time (perhaps one will emerge as the Rory). I definitely intend to keep watching to find out.

One thing we do know is that Hubbell will not be a regular character... because it looks like the episode ended with him dying in a car accident. Well, there's a plot twist.

This is the best summer series since "The Middleman," which coincidentally also aired on ABC Family. Here's hoping "Bunheads" lasts a good deal longer than that.

Did you enjoy the premiere as much as I did? Share your video recap or comment below.

1. seo

I leave a response each time I especially enjoy a publish on the website or I've some thing to add to the discussion. It is caused by the sincerness communicated in the post I browsed. And on this publish . I was moved enough to drop a thought I actually do possess a couple of questions for you if it is okay. Is it only me or do some of the responses appear as if they are written by brain dead folks? And, in the event you are writing at additional social websites, I'd like to follow you. Could you make a checklist every one of one's shared pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile? seo http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 25, 2013 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. backlink

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in our community. Your weblog provided us with valuable info to function on|.You have done a marvellous occupation! backlink http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. listas barcelona

Simply wish to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your put up is just cool and i can assume you are knowledgeable on this subject. Well along with your permission let me to seize your RSS feed to stay updated with impending post. Thanks one million and please continue the enjoyable work.

November 20, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gilmore Girls Fan

I loved it! I miss Gilmore Girls! I wanted to live in a town like theirs. LOL

June 19, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • FeeFee

I always said that too my hubby too.I watched The Gilmore girls still.Who wouldn't want to live there? No one was unhappy for very long:)

August 23, 2013 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Feeniegal

I'll watch one more. I don't understand why kill off Hubbell? Without him I'm going to compare the show to Gilmore Girls too much.

June 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bunhead

Loved it!!!!!

June 13, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Right Wing Idiot

Three words: I'm an idiot.

June 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Observer

Two words:
    Liberal.
    Garbage.

June 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sfoster fan

Sutton Foster can do EVERYTHING!

June 13, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. PlayCracktheSky

Saw the previews and thought it looked stupid and didn't resemble the dance world realistically.

June 13, 2012 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Hime

The show really isn't about dance in the first place. Meanwhile, as a ballerina for 15 years, I can say that it does resemble the dance world; people who used to be great dancers and gave it up and now regret it and try to recpature it, the "it" girl who doesn't really like it, the chubby girl, the girl with no confidence...this is any dance school down pat.

July 11, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. cecelia

It's a great show; Sutton Foster is terrific - it's a wonderful cast.

June 12, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. @Deonne

Why would i miss you? I don't know you. With a name like Deonne i'm guessing you wear a lot of pink and grab your ankles a lot. Most likely the ?????? that goes by lol also.

June 12, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • V's hubby

@@Deonne or whatever name you are using today-I can always tell it's you. Time to turn off your phone now vixxy, and leave the good people alone for a change. Time for you to get to work. Please take all those dang cats with you, too. I hate cats!

June 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SidheHawk

Loved it! My husband is swearing at me for "sucking him into another tv show he can't admit he watches." It is definitely very much in the same category as Gilmore Girls but that is just fine by me.

June 12, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marigold

Finally got my Gilmore Girls fix back! I loved Kelly Bishop on GG. Sutton Foster is a musical theatre goddess.
    I hope this stays around for a long time.

June 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. nan25

I have been watching & waiting for Amy Sherman Palladino to write another show since I discovered & devoured Gilmore Girls a couple years ago. This is it & I hope it's around for a while. Do your thing, Amy. Have fun with it.

June 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Robin

Loved it! I miss Gilmore Girls and this is very similar. I'm definately in for the Summer. (Hope it lasts longer).

June 12, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  17. Karen

Did he die? That seemed odd to have him killed off. Michelle has no reason to stay...

June 12, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  18. jusbcuz

so nice to see original tv, "reality" tv bites, watched the premiere episode and will watch upcoming episodes good job abc family

June 12, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  19. deonne the sad sack
    June 12, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  20. deonne the sad sack

Lets see how many time today deonne will snap like a f!re*cr@cker when another bloger comment and he doesn't like it.

June 12, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |