Mark-Paul Gosselaar explains 'SBTB' diss
June 11th, 2012

Mark-Paul Gosselaar explains 'SBTB' diss

Nobody disses Zack Morris and gets away with it - not even Zack Morris, apparently.

Actor Mark-Paul Gosselaar - who played the charming but mischievous Morris in the popular '80s and ‘90s sitcom “Saved By the Bell" - has had to explain some not-so-flattering comments he reportedly made about the show that made him famous.

Last week, Yahoo.com quoted Gosselaar as saying the iconic series was “not a great show,” calling the writing “cheesy.”

Not surprisingly, diehard "SBTB" fans didn't appreciate his remarks.

But TMZ reports that the actor now claims the quote in question was “taken out of context,” even though he does admit to calling the comedy a little corny.

Still, Gosselaar swears it was not a diss. “That's why people like it!” he said Thursday. “I wasn't saying it was a bad show, just that the writing reflected '80s cheesiness."

The “Franklin & Bash” star added that he's "proud of that show, and [has] no problem talking about it."

1. Amanda

I was a huge SBTB fan. I adored Zack and Slater and tried my best to emulate Kelly Kapowski. I had the shirts and folders and even the board game. Looking back now it was an unbelievably cheesy show. I cannot believe I was such a little nerd! It could have been worse though, I could of been a New Kids fan. Now THAT was cheesy! lol

July 8, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. humbly

It was cheesy. But I love cheese.

July 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Guest

How come when they were under 21 and drank beer it made them all stupid,but after 21 drinking beer was seen as normal?

July 3, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. Argle Bargle

No problem...some dishes are just better with a little "cheese".

June 29, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. oshptest

Man, is everything fodder for a Level 11 aneurism by people these days? He spoke the truth; deal with it!

June 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suri

HA! Thanks for the laugh. He was totally right, btw. Whether you liked it or not.

June 25, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The dude

well he isn't wrong.....and I'm a fan of the show.....

June 19, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RichWW2

After watching the show now on netflix that I'm 27 instead of 7, the show is absolutely cheesy, corny, has awful dialog, etc. What he said is the truth. The most "real" that show got is someone addicted to CAFFEINE PILLS. Might has well have been addicted to gummy worms or strawberry milk. Either way, I still LOVE every second of SBTB.

June 12, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mchael King

Saved By The Bell: The College Years. I still have the song from that show in my head. Im standing at the edge of tomorrow. Today, today, today! Lol – And yes the episode when Jesse got hooked on caffeine pills instead of a real drug was the worst episode ever in the history of television. I was a kid when that episode came out and even I knew that they were exaggerating to say the least in her reaction to the caffeine pills. Me and my friends were like either be honest about teens doing drugs or don't make a "special episode" at all. Heck, even Different Strokes did a better job with their "special episode" about drug use that had Nancy Reagon on it. But when its all said and done SBTB was a great show for kids.

June 11, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jack (nASTY bOY)cLAUSS

i THINK HE I GREAT.

June 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Michael Calaizzo

he is my Hero.

June 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pardon my comment.

A "diss" from actors from a show that ended 20 years ago? First world problems.

June 11, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Stephanie T.

The show was what it was. It never set out to win an Emmy. The big mistake however was trying to spin it off into an actual prime time sitcom. "The College Years"? Really?

June 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dlongbeach

Oh my god. I used to have a mad crush on this guy. Now I just feel old.

June 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. abc123

I'm not sure I would describe him as a "charming blond jock" I thnk Slater was supposed to be the jock... didn't Slater always call Zack "Preppy"?? hmmm i advise researching before writing...

June 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ladydedlock

He shouldn't have backpedaled. That show was total crap – unless you were between the ages of 9 -13 when it aired. Its like those Disney shows today aimed at tweens. It isn't supposed to be rocket science, just light breezy mindless entertainment. Not everything in the 80s was cheesy. But SBTB was. I never watched it until after its run because I was a little older than the demographic. I remember people making a big to-do over it and I always thought it seemed like some silly little kids show. Which it was. Wasn't it on Saturday mornings after cartoons?

June 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitch

@ladydedlock

"That show was total crap – unless you were between the ages of 9 -13 when it aired."

I was between the ages of 9-13 when it aired, and yes it was crap. I loved it at the time, and still have nostalgic fondness for it; but how could anyone get uspet over what Gosselaar said?

It was NOT a great show (it was a kid's comedy) and it was cheesy (even worse when they tired to do 'special episodes' like Jessie's caffeine addiction).

Anyone who gets mad over this needs to grow up; you are most likely around 30 years old. You have more important things to care about than Saved by the Bell. Deal with it.

June 11, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. SCREECH

Sounds like Mark-Paul was saved by the bell on that one!

June 11, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  17. ASBTB FAN

I used to want to f uck his brains out back then,now not so much.LMAO.

June 11, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  18. sbtb fan

of course the writing was uber cheesy, but thats what made it great. Gilligan's island did not have the witty rapport of big bang theory but it was still a good show, partially due to its cheese factor.

June 11, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  19. jbrabander@cox.net

Um...he's right though. It was a really cheesy show that all-in-all wasn't that great.

June 11, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • SilentB0y741

True. Pointing out the 800-pound gorilla in the room is not a "diss". The show was all that he said it was. Because some viewers enjoyed it anyway, doesn't make the product any less so.

June 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |