Bob Welch: Your favorite songs
June 8th, 2012

Bob Welch: Your favorite songs

As music fans mourn the loss of Bob Welch, who died Thursday of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest, you'll hear a popular refrain: Listen to "French Kiss," Welch's 1977 debut solo album.

But there's also the great work he did as a guitarist and vocalist with Fleetwood Mac from 1971-74. Our commenters also ranked the "Mystery to Me" album as essential listening.

CNN.com commenter dmax noted on Welch's obit that he'd just been listening to "French Kiss" the morning of Welch's death. But to dmax, Fleetwood Mac's "Hypnotized," which is from the "Mystery to Me" album and features Welch's vocals, is "one of the great pop songs of forever, with its gentle insistent loping and Bob telling us about a place down in Mexico where a man can fly over mountains and hills...RIP, dude. I truly loved your music."

Commenter Michele LaRoe called the "Mystery to Me" album an "all-time favorite," with "Emerald Eyes" being a favorite track. "Great song," LaRoe wrote. "Sad to hear this."

Commenter MSDANINDC wanted to first acknowledge that it's "just sad that anyone gives into the choice to end their life, but I don't walk in their shoes so I cannot judge their final moments. It is just sad to lose another talented person, but the world will not stop spinning."

As far as MSDANINDC's favorite Welch songs, "'Sentimental Lady' and 'Ebony Eyes' and many other tunes by Bob Welch will always be moments that I thought the world would always be safe and endlessly joyful. God rest your soul Bob. May we all be hypnotised by your music."

And lastly, Mabuloo2 just left us with the lyrics to "Sentimental Lady": "Sentimental gentle wind, Blowing through my life again...."

Don't see your favorite Welch song listed here? Let us know in the comments!

Filed under: Music

« Previous entry
  1. Dan

The muted yet driven beat and anxious but quiet cool California jazz/blues music and singing style in his work with Fleetwood Mac hit me where I live then and now. Mystery To Me is the best pop album going even yet. Christine McVie wrote the best love song you will ever hear for that album and her harmonies on Welch's songs is beyond compare. Being from California, when I heard his music in the early 70's, I recognized and connected with it instantly, even though he had spent so much time in France.The state was in the DNA of his music. I also love the Paris albums( Big Towne 2061 is great)! Bob Welch Looks At Bop. A blast. I loved his work, always wanted to meet him and tell him. I'm so sorry.

July 23, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary

Hypnotized is one of my favorites. RIP Bob. My condolences to the family.

June 26, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bukoo

Bob...Thank you for the beautiful song Sentimental Lady. Follow the light when you see it. R.I.P.

June 11, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Richard

One of my favorite artist. Precious Love and Sentimental Lady favorite songs!

June 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. graefental

Ben already mentioned "Silver Heels" from "Heroes Are Hard to Find"–another great Bob track from that album is "Safe Harbour," which almost seems an epitaph: "Just to find a safe harbour / and spend time with my friends."

June 11, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. JJ Jones

Sentimental Lady is such a tender song. It's one of those that you will have a hard time to find somebody that doesn't like it. It's a perfect song to play at a wedding reception.

June 11, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. scott

Didnt know he sung Hypnotized.Mac wood have been a different(better?) band if he stayed.Whats with the penis on the mystery to me cover.

June 11, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. JPS

Sad ending for such a talented man. I enjoyed listening to his music as a few of his songs are are among my all time favorites.

June 11, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bob

I also like the stripped down version of "Sentimental Lady" found on the Bare Trees album. Plus "Prescious Love".

June 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kevin

the guy was far from talented. Just a 3 hit wonder and they were minor at that. He'll be forgotten by next week.

June 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • ralph

Really, Kevin ? Please remind us the names of all YOUR hit songs then.

June 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Kevin takes time out of his day to insult a "nobody". What does that make him?

June 11, 2012 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Marty Jourard

I saw him play in Fleetwood Mac when they were at the Jacksonville Coliseum around 1973, little knowing that seven years later I would be playing piano and saxophone on Bob's 1980 album "Man Overboard," my favorite song on that is "The Girl Can't Stop." This album didn't have any hits, "Don't Rush The Good Things" was the single, but working with Bob was extremely fun, he sat on a stool surrounded by his guitars and lyrics and a music stand and just worked for hours in one place. A warm and talented musician.

June 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Sorry I know it's not on topic but, were you in The Motels? Good group.. . Damn shame about Bob Welch

June 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lemons02

The haunting Bermuda Triangle is one of my favorites. Also, my favorite beach bar in Mt Clemens, Michigan was (is) The Sentimental Lady, named for the song. Thought of Bob every time I stepped in. Hope Fleetwood Mac gets over themselves now and gets him his rightful place in the Hall of Fame.

June 10, 2012 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tom

I would also say Bare Tree by Fleetwood Mac is essential listening. Welch was great, no doubt about it. RIP.

June 9, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. renedelavarre

Rest in peace. I loved this guy and his songwriting skills. Hyptonized" is perhaps my favorite song of alltime. All musicians and fans of music must listen to Fleetwood Mac, Mystery to Me – in a word, brilliant, just like Bob.
    Cheers
    Rene

June 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John E

The real version of "Precious Love" is my favorite. It's still on youtube, make sure it's the first version though. He recorded it a couple of times without the 70's style rock guitar going on. Have a good one.

June 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. papa dan

I agree with Cranston Lamont: for just good rock and roll it's hard to beat "Carolene" from French Kiss

June 9, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marc

All of the songs off French Kiss are winners! Even short songs like "Lose My Heart" are gems. Saw Bob in concert with Dave Mason at Kent State U in '76. RIP, Bob,

June 9, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. markus

Sentimental Lady. Absolutely beautiful.

June 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. boop

That's so sad. I have records from fleetwood Mac in the 70s. Wonder if they would be collectors? Rip Bob

June 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Tony

Thanks for the great music during my teenage years, they will live on forever. R.I.P. and condolences to your family....

June 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mister B

I never really liked his songs but it still sucks that he thought suicide was the only way out.

June 9, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  21. JohnyB

Saw BW open for Fleetwood Mac during the short "Tusk" tour. The old bandmates joined him for a couple songs. My faves include "Angel," "Revelation," "Hynotized," and "Future Games."

June 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mark

For some reason, his 1981 song, "It's what you don't Say" never gets mentioned. May not have been his best, but had a great riff, and showed he still had it. Very underrated guitarist. He will be missed.

June 9, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  23. Michael Calaizzo

Flletwood Mac reallysucked.

June 9, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  24. Michael Calaizzo

he needs to Manup!

June 9, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  25. big b

Was too top 40ish after FM, but liked him anyway.

June 9, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  26. Brent

one of Bob's biggest hits with Fleet wood mac
    was" Oh. Well" parts 1 and 2 a very heavy rock song.
    I also like his solo hits too
    very sad rip Bob

June 9, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  27. akinbowale

Reblogged this on BookRepublic.

June 9, 2012 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  28. broncodevil

Love "Hypnotized" of course........and "Mystery Train" is my favorite........Thank You Bob.

June 9, 2012 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  29. Ia Mom of 4

Ebony Eyes and Hypnotized definitely 2 of my favs. RIP Mr. Welch. Condolences to the Welch family.

June 9, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  30. Andy

If you find the 1971-1974 era of Fleetwood Mac intruiging, as I do, please do yourselves a favor and check out two Bob Welch masterpieces on the first of the two 1973 releases, Pneguin, namley "Bright Fire" and "Revelation." Pastel 6th and 7th chords, masterful lyrics, and soothing modulations throughout both tracks are the cure to any depression. I wish he'd been listening to his own wonderful music...

June 8, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Cruz

My fav Bob Welch song "Ebony Eyes" brings back a lot of good memories

June 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Rob

I see there are some Heroes fans here....seems to be one of the Mac Attack albums that gets grossly overlooked.....as much as i injoy the previous Bob was on.....Heroes has that edge....mainly it finally seemed the foursome came REALLY together as a more working/cohesive unit.....whereas the first 2 were made of Danny Kirwan songs Chris Songs and Bob Welch songs. Penquin had the 2 odd Dave Walker wailers on it. Mystery was coming together as such and def was carried forth on Heroes......love 'Comin Home/'Angel'Bermuda Triangle'/'Born Enchanter'/Silver Heels'
    Chris's songs were great too from that disc!

June 8, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ronnomix

just testing

June 8, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Dave

Followed Fleetwood Mac from the Peter Green days. Welch definately provided a unique change for the band and brought a great sound. I have always loved "Hypnotized".

June 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  35. wayne

Just found out what a sad thing to read.Mystery train was one I really liked but hypnotized truly was and will continue to be his shining moment. R.I.P. Bob God bless.

June 8, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Brian

"The Ghost" and "Sentimental Lady" from Bare Trees (much preferred to the French Kiss version), "Lay It All Down" from Future Games, "Emerald Eyes", "Miles Away", "The City" and "Hypnotized" from Mystery to Me. Haven't heard much from Penguin or Heroes Are Hard to Find yet. "Ebony Eyes", too. Also liked his vocals on "Sometimes" (at least, I think that's him; Danny Kirwin wrote it.)from Future Games and the arrangement of Graham Gouldman's "For Your Love" on Mystery to Me. His performance of Peter Green's "The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)" was also really good.

June 8, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  37. gary Ginsburg

Having been a fan of Fleetwood Mac since the early Blues Days, The period of time that Bob Welch was in the band is one of my favorites. His voice always beautiful and he had the ability to stir deep emotions in me. Certainly Mystery to Me was a high point but I also enjoyed Future Games, Bare Trees and Hereos which had several outstanding Welch tracks.(Silver Heels being one of them. Thank you Mr. Welch for giving the world such beautiful music. You have touched many lives with your wonderful contributions to music.

June 8, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

Big fan of Heroes....listening to 'Angel' right now which after comes 'Bermuda Triangle'...great stuff!

June 8, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Rob

I bought a CD of Future Games recently. Had to listen to it... the songs were playing in my head. I always appreciated Bob Welch's work and sensitivity... may God rest his soul.

June 8, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  39. strangedays1751

Thats all hear today R.I.P. HYPNOTIZED

June 8, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  40. dusty

Mystery To Me, no doubt,my fav. Mac album and Bob is all over that thing,should have been inducted when Mac got in the hall, hope he is happy where ever his soul may be.

June 8, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  41. avlisk

Bob was always Fleetwood Mac to me. He even inspired me to try writing Bob Welch-type songs when Mystery to Me came out. Just going thru my iTunes playlist of his songs, it's impossible to choose a couple of favorites. I hope he knew how many fans he had. Thanks, Bob.

June 8, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Okraboy

No denying the "Big Mac" years! However, those "transitional years" from Bare Trees to Heros Are Hard To Find are some of my favorites. Bob's "Bermuda Triangle" was a concert highlight during the "Hero's Tour". The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame needs to put Bob in with Fleetwood Mac!

June 8, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  43. t

Sentimental Lady is my favorite

June 8, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Steve

We did some great shows together in Tucson..........
    RIP
    Condolences to Wendy
    Steve
    StageFright 1990

June 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  45. steve

Bob does a great job singing "For Your Love" on the Mystery to Me album. But the song is not listed with the other songs on the album jacket nor the lyric sheet inside the album jacket. Anyone know why??? It's a mystery to me!

June 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • mikes

"For Your Love" was a last minute replacement on "Mystery To Me," for the Welch song "Good Things."

June 8, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  46. made-from-monkees

i bet he would not have killed himself if he didnt have a gun :(

June 8, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • johndanger

Well, monkees, granted he probably wouldn't have SHOT himself if he didn't have a gun. Are you also for outlawing rope? And is this really the time or place?

June 9, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  47. Lara

Lose You Heart has always been my favorite...It's not very long, but anyone who ever had their heart broken......

June 8, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  48. cemego

From Bright Fire on Penguin "..Don't dam the river thats runnin through you... Stop savin up for a time that never may come.."
    When I heard he died I listened to "Bright Fire" and cried my eyes out. That song, and Slave Trader from the Paris-Big Town 2061 album. His voice was unique. His guitar sound was so "california summer sun" sounding. This is music that can never be replaced. I have just about everything he's ever sung on. With all the deaths in music lately, this one has hurt me the most. I will miss you Bob... I hope you can "rest easy now and watch the carnival rollin by...".

June 8, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  49. platters

"Future Games" was one of his best, both the Fleetwood Mac version and the completely different arrangement from his solo career that fans should seek out. That version was, I think, on his album "The Other One" and on his greatest hits CD that I believe came out on Rhino.

June 8, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  50. AVDave

Mystery to Me is a fantastic album. I think Hypnotized was one of his absolutely best vocal performances. The vocals, the lyrics, and the music just meshed perfectly. I'm so sad that he didn't find life worth living anymore.

June 8, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Lon

Met Bob years ago while he was on tour with his band Paris. Super guy! His place in rock history is secure, since he more than filled a gap in Fleetwood Mac. Gave them an added dimension. "Hypnotized" and "Emerald Eyes" are my favorites. RIP Bob. You're not forgotten!

June 8, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  52. badcyclist

Not sure about my favorite song of his– probably Hypnotized. But Future Games will always be my favorite Fleetwood Mac album.

June 8, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Tammy O'Neal

We are blessed to have your music in our lives. Thank you, Bob Welch, and we will never forget you. RIP.

June 8, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  54. MoonDog

Hypnotized has been one of my favorite songs since hearing it on WIQB radio in Ann Arbor in 1975. RIP Bob, you will be missed!

June 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  55. fan

Silver Heels "If I could sing like Paul McArtney..."

June 8, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  56. NattyBlue

It's great to see all of these (mostly) great comments and songs mentioned. Some I remember, some I don't. But I'm inspired to give them another listen and remember them. Thanks, Bob. Great music and great memories.

June 8, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  57. betterdays

Wow, the band Paris completely slipped my mind there... Yeah, "Red Rain." Add that one to my list. And "Solitaire."

June 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Jack L.

One of my top ten rock hits is "Oh Well" from FM when Bob Welch was with them. Premier guitar work and lyrics.

June 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Markey B

Jack: Oh Well was on the 'Then Play On' album from 1969 and was written by Peter Green. Welch was not in the band then.

June 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • FMacFan

Bob was not in that incarnation of Fleetwood Mac. Bob joined Fleetwood Mac in 1971 and left the band in 1974.

June 8, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  59. betterdays

Gotta go with "Hypnotized" and "Outskirts," which was on French Kiss and was also the B-side of Ebony Eyes (I think). I liked the way Bob syncopated his guitar and bass lines. He played bass guitar on all of French Kiss, I believe, and he approached it much as if it were a six-string guitar (which is usually a no-no, but it worked that time!)

June 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

You're right on both counts betterdays, Outskirts was the B-side to Ebony Eyes, I still have my 45 of it somewhere. I remember seeing Bob on the TV broadcast of California Jam 2 at Ontario Speedway back in 1977-78. I think he was one of the first acts on that day, Mick Fleetwood and Stevie Nicks showed up onstage with him to do Ebony Eyes. I loved Hypnotized too, it's surprising no one's ever sampled the drumbeat.

June 8, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Andy

I love the song "Angel" from the album Heroes are Hard to Find looked like a premonition. Was listening to it last night and looked up these lyrics. Brought back a lot of good memories of listening to a more raw FM. Great stuff from Bob Welch.

Under a sky, of gun metal grey
    You know omens and signs were all around
    Just living alone, with a hope that someday
    I might see and angel arrive, to take me down
    Angel, I want to see you
    Angel, Lord I want to see you
    Angel, I really want to see you

June 8, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Bootstraps Fisher

To google you need to go back to email verification, not cell phones for many people
      live by Skype to begin with and I love skype as well.
      Wow Kapow Google American Patriot Jeff Fisher Jane Bowell SKYPE Yahoo messanger

June 8, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Bootstraps Fisher

All deals will go through Dan Licata, my person manager whom works for the Nomad Hotel.
      I am in accounting terms GOODWILL!!!!
      Everyone keep joining the facebook Jeff Bootstraps Fisher Forever.
      Mr. Zuckerberg, come on over tonight so you can help me get access to the account.

June 8, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Bootstraps Fisher

To Hot Carl check out Crazy Carl Will he eat a cigarette youtube and read the comments and make that youtube viral please. For anyone else, tonight it is on schedule that Al Gore will arrive around 11:30 p.m. at the Nomad Hotel on Broadway in the Nomadic area of the city.

June 8, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Bootstraps Fisher

Now also contact Inquires

info@sydellgroup.com 646.307.9600

NEW YORK

30 West 26th Street, 12th
      New York, NY 10010

MIAMI
      2727 Indian Creek Drive
      Miami Beach, FL 33140

June 8, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Bootstraps Fisher

You see there is man there by the name of Ron Berkle who thinks he can control the world.
      He is the Chairman of YUCAIPEA Corporation
      He is the biggest contributer to the Clintons
      His photos are in the back offices of the Nomad Hotel
      The boys at Interpol have also lots of film of this man.
      They are about to release them throughout the entire Middle East.
      If that happens things may happen over there that don't need to happen.

June 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

Heroes is SUCH AN INCREDIBLE disc from start to finish for me! The toon b4 'Angel', 'Comin Home' had a more raw proggish type feel to it.....

June 8, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  61. irish2u2

"Sentimental Lady" is my favorite Bob Welch tune but I remember playing "French Kiss" so much I had to buy another copy of the album. RIP Bob Welch. It's sad you felt this was the only way out but that's your right. I do offer my condolences to the family because while Bob's pain has ended their's is just beginning....

June 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  62. chris

Precious Love, Hot Love, Cold World, Blue Robbin (with his band Paris). What a shock, one of my all time favorite musicians.

June 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  63. A+

I was shocked to hear the news. The work Bob did with Fleetwood and his solo projects were amazing. I always dug the unique Brian Wilson style vocals he had plus his underated guitar playing and song writing. As a child of the late 70s i remember Ebony Eyes and Sentimental lady were two songs you heard on the radio every 5 minutes. RIP.

June 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Sarah

Hypnotized...just one of my all time favorites. I just listened to all the songs with tears in my eyes. Reminds me so much of college!!!! RIP

June 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  65. tsgt Smako

We are talking about Bob Welch. Why is it people use one paragraph to talk about him and the rest of the page on Fleetwood Mac? It's like talking about Jermain Jackson after Michael died.

June 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jethro

What young man can't relate to the line line from Precious Love:
    "the way you fill those blue jeans baby, my my my"

June 8, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Jeff Bootstraps Fisher

This is a great loss to the world for I wanted Fleetwood Mac to sing also at my wedding to Jane Bowell next year at the White House.

June 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Guy Gardner

"Future Games" the song and the album, and its followup: "Bare Trees"... beautiful stuff. Also "Silver Heels" from "Heroes Are Hard to Find"... "She came in and her flags were flyin', she was a sailboat of sweet perfume"... what an image...

June 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Bootstraps Fisher

You have great taste in music. Would you like to meet my partner Sir Richard Branson to talk more about music?

June 8, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Hot Carl

All I can say is he's one lucky guy. Lucky that he succeeded because a shot to the chest doesn't guarantee success. If you want to do it right, check out Bud Dwyer's classic video. Barrel in the mouth or to the temple. 100% success rate.

June 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  70. marty

All the cuts on his Greatest hits cd were awesum !!!!....Especially, CHURCH, Hot love, Cold World, Spanish Dances, Three Hearts, COME SOFTLY TO ME and , of course, His two biggest, Ebony Eyes and Sentimental Lady...........will put this CDS on in the car and jus go CRUSIN"...............peace

June 8, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Future Games

Lay It All Down... Lay down your burden of sorrow, lay down your burden of hurt...

June 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Colin Morgan

At 24, I'm too young to "remember" the song when it came out, but I remember the first time I heard "Ebony Eyes". What a hell of a bass line. Great tune.

June 8, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Datura

Sentimental Lady ... So sad to hear about this. R.I.P. Bob you will be missed.

June 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  74. MixMasterJames

WOW! Too many to choose from...."Bright Fire" from PENGUIN, "Silver Heels" from HEROES ARE HARD TO FIND, "Future Games" and "Lay It All Down" from FUTURE GAMES just to name a few. Rest easy, Bob and thanks for all the memories. I know what I will be listening to this weekend.

June 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • vawelchfan

I'd agree with "Future Games" and A"Lay it All Down" being amongst the best.

Also, there's the little known "Money Love" that he did with the short-lived band, Paris.

There were a couple of non-hits on "French Kiss" album that were also pretty good.

June 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Burbanked

Hypnotized is awesome, one of the best pop songs ever! Thanks Bob! I hope to get to meet you on the other side!

June 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Steve

I remember watching him on TV in the late 70's. A local station aired some of the Cal Jam concerts from back then. Ebony Eyes was was a great performance! RIP Bob.

June 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  77. james

Future games from the album from the same name.

June 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • ramphastos

Absolutely! One of the best, mostly unknown by mainstream, albums and songs. Good call.

June 8, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Patrick

Bob, sorry to hear about your passing away, and sorry the world has lost such a talented musician. I had a one hour bus ride to school in the 70's , thankfully we had a radio on the bus. We got to hear your music and other musicians as we rode along. I remember particularly the Fleetwood Mac song " Hypnotized" and of course " Ebony Eyes" was huge at the time. Whenever I hear those songs I am back on that bus heading to school and much happier. I am sorry about how things ended , and sorry if WE fans let you down over the years. Thank you for the great memories your songs give us Bob.

June 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  79. razmataz

Apparently noone even remembers "Green Manalishi" His real Magnum Opus!

June 8, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • ken

i did forget. thanks for the reminder.

June 8, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • John in KC

Apparently no one remembers the two Paris albums either. I loved that band, a quasi all-star band with members from Jethro Tull, The Nazz and Bob (Fleetwood Mac). I wish that I could find them on CD. Oh well....

June 11, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Ron

"Miles away" was my fav...Great guitar and lyrics

June 8, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • MAM

I agree Ron, 'Miles Away' is the my fav as well on the 'Mystery to Me' A*L*B*U*M.

June 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  81. rirapper

Sentimental Lady, from both the Fleetwood Bare Trees album (on my list of top 10 albums to have if stranded on a desert island), and on French Kiss. Great guitar player, he revitalized the Fleetwoods, got them back on track. Every song on Bare Trees shows his influence, along with Christine McVie....Mystery to Me sealed the deal........Sigh........talented guy.

June 8, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  82. V's hubby

One of my favorite bands of all time. He was a great artist. He did leave quite a musical legacy behind, though. I was sorry to hear the news. Rip, you will be missed. Rock on in the great beyond.

June 8, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Cranston Lamont

Carolene

June 8, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Antiqueynot

Revelation from The Penguin album was inspirational, an inquisitive spirit and great talent is gone.

June 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Susan

What happened to Bermuda triangle?? Great Song!! Rip.. Bob. You had a great voice!!

June 8, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Nick126

Have you heard about the Bermuda Triangle, there's something going on...

June 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Eman

So sad...... Seems like a lot of this happens lately.

June 8, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  87. Ganan

Sentimental Lady with Christine McPhee-–awesome. Sad news--RIP.

June 8, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Remember when

Ahhh that songs stirs up some memories are being free and when music,not TV was KING. RIP. 2012 is a hard year. Pain makes us do things we would not normally do. RIP.

June 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Lou Cypher

When we think of that classic 1970s sound, he was definitely one of the guys that helped define it.
    I listened to 10 sec of one of those songs, and I was 13 years old again riding the schoolbus listening to KQ92.
    RIP, Bob, you still can make me feel good

June 8, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  89. Ben

Silver heels. Heroes are hard to find.

June 8, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  90. Dave James

Wow, that's a loss. This guy has to be one of the more underrated musicians ever. Some of the stuff he did with Fleetwood Mac while they were transitioning to the unlistenable pop group they became is as solid as anything you'll ever hear. "Church", "Bermuda Triangle", "Hypnotized", "Hot Love, Cold World", "Sentimental Lady" and my all-time favorite, "Church"...these are great songs. A wonderful and talented guitar player as well. RIP, man. You had it all.

June 8, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  91. Cynthia

OMG..... I loved him, Ebony Eyes, my fav...... one of the songs on my work out playlist....... I am sorry the things were so bad for you, I hope you find peace now..... RIP

June 8, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  92. Joe Miller

I was a big Mac fan during those years, before they become a world wide phenomenon. I loved their dreamy sound, and Welch's singing and guitar work. My all time Welch favorite – Future Games. RIP Bob Welch – you touched more people than you knew

June 8, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  93. wiske57

Sad to hear, such great music.

June 8, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  94. Mike Wicks

Hot Love, Cold World from French Kiss rocks!

June 8, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  95. ?!

Who?

June 8, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  96. JellyBean

Just listened to all four. Great music to go with great memories.

June 8, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |