June 7th, 2012
11:09 AM ET
Seeing that last year's winner, Melanie Moore, came from Atlanta, it makes sense that "So You Think You Can Dance" would return to the city for auditions.
That's just what they did on Wednesday's show, and the Peach State was an embarrassment of riches for judges Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy and Debbie Allen. Tickets to the Las Vegas callbacks were practically handed out like candy.
Here are the five most memorable routines of the night:
1. Andre Rucker – The second to audition from the "Dragon House" crew, he rivaled the best popper-lockers this show has ever seen. His style was like something from another planet.
2. Cyrus "Glitch" Spencer – I have to disagree with the judges that he topped his friend, Andre, but he was wildly entertaining as well. Nigel's reaction to this audition - channeling former "SYTYCD" judge/choreographer Mia Michaels - was something to behold.
3. Janelle Issis: This Alabama belly dancer, who learned everything she knows from a fellow church parishioner, wowed the judges. We certainly haven't seen too many belly dancers audition, and I have a feeling she could make up for the lack of ballroom dancers so far (though Salt Lake City next week may make up for it as well).
4. George Lawrence II: Beautiful technique from this former track runner, who was praised by Mary as the best audition in Atlanta. He will certainly be one to watch in Vegas.
5. Asher Walker: It looks like we've found this year's Kent Boyd. Small town hip-hop dancer Asher was better than anyone just rehearsing in their garage and studying videos online had any right to be. Hip-hop is definitely going to be a force this season.
It was tough narrowing it down to a list of five. That left out the "testifying" Joshua Alexander and a slew of very talented female contemporary and jazz dancers (such as Courtney Kirby and Brittany Ortner).
Then there was Damon Bellmon, who finally shined with his own choreography after he and dance partner Deon Lewis caused an uproar last season by "paying homage" to a routine by Les Twins.
With only one audition episode left, which dancers are you pulling for going into Vegas? Share your picks on video or comment below.
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.