Plans in place to create Elvis hologram
June 6th, 2012

Plans in place to create Elvis hologram

If you figured "Hologram Tupac" wasn't going to be the last we saw of the technology, you were right: There's now an Elvis Presley hologram on the way.

The same digital production company that created the virtual Tupac for this year's Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is working with CORE Media Group to "jointly develop, produce and own a series of 'virtual' Elvis Presley likenesses for a range of entertainment projects – from shows and appearances to film, TV and multi-platform productions throughout the world," a statement announces.

The production company, Digital Domain Media Group, added that this partnership is a boon for them creatively.

“Elvis is the most iconic, most recognized performer on the planet, and we are thrilled to have been chosen to bring new performances and original shows where fans can have their own, new experiences of Elvis,” Digital Domain's Chairman and CEO John Textor said.

If "computer generated" Elvis will be in the vein of Digital Domain's "computer generated" Tupac, then fans can expect to see an eerily lifelike performance from The King of Rock and Roll one of these days, more than 30 years after his 1977 death at the age of 42.

“This is a new and exciting way to bring the magic and music of Elvis Presley to life. His lifelong fans will be thrilled all over again and new audiences will discover the electric experience of Elvis the performer,” said Jack Soden, the president and CEO of Elvis Presley Enterprises, which is part of the CORE Media Group. “The high level of quality entertainment that both CORE Media Group and Digital Domain deliver gives us great confidence that these projects will help continue the growth of Elvis’ rich legacy all over the world.”

What do you think - would you want to see a computer generated Elvis perform?

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Georgian man

Georgians like American rapper 2Pac, Eazye ,biggie!

July 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cisco Switches

It's perfect time to make a few plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I've learn this submit and if I may I desire to suggest you some interesting issues or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles relating to this article. I wish to read more issues approximately it!

June 19, 2012 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. sam

i saw this iin yahoo new and i liked so much, can't wait for it

June 15, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jen

I'm a huge Elvis fan and am in my 20s. So, unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to see him in action. I think this is a great idea! It's hard to find a good Elvis tribute artist, so this is as close to the real deal as many of us will ever get. I don't find it creepy or disrespectful in any way - I kind of think of it as a movie with a better ambiance - a projection of the King doing what he did best and one more way that fans can come together and enjoy Elvis

June 8, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. john

but only if its the fat elvis that died on the toilet

June 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. yvie

Yeah, like I'm going to pay the price of a concert ticket, to see basically a reflective picture of Elvis, whilst his songs play in the background! Give us all a break puleeze!!!

June 8, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. First world problems

well THANK GOD. it's about time someone created this important product.

June 8, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jason

Why not simply go see an impersonator in Vegas? It's the same thing? They're not using anything we haven't seen already – and the "manipulation" simply means they get an imposter to "fill in"....c'mon – really? Don't be fooled by this people....

June 8, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. mike

If Justin Bieber's people were smart, they'd motion capture him right now... 25- 30 years down the line, they can break that out, translate it for the current tech of the day and run it for his reunion tour and have him sing with himself.

June 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim

I personally feel a Elvis hologram today ,while nolt new by any means, has improved to the point where he wiill be "sponstaneous" and energetic as the one and only orginal. Everyone kept saying when they recorded the video of him and Martina MacBride together doing his BLUE CHRISTMAS song from his TV special would NOT LOOK RIGHT OR FEEL RIGHT. YET, that video is superlative. Technology today is greatly improved over what "used to be".

June 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Julie

No mention of the Elvis hologram that did a duet with Celine Dion on American Idol several years ago? They make it sounds like this will be the first Elvis hologram ever. Dumb.

June 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jinx

Which Elvis are they going to use? The one when he was in his prime or the fat, old one?

June 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ZombieHunter2012

Holograms.....or Zombies!?!?! I'll be ready for them!

June 7, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Michael Calaizzo

Elvis is the greatest of them all!

June 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Thurgood Stubbs

Forget about the GREATEST entertainer/performer of the 20th century?! Yeah, I don't think so.

June 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. goodemoney

I Michal Jackson hologram is also probably in the works, since his brothers recently announced a new tour. Who wants to see the "Jackson 4" without Michael.?

June 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Charlotte

A huge Elvis fan for years. I think Elvis would love it!!!

June 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Matt

why are "news" organizations continuing to refer to these projections as Holograms? Shouldn't the news try to report factual information and perhaps educate the public? This particular projection technique is called Pepper's ghost. It has been around a very, very long time.

June 7, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  19. David

I knew after the Tupac holo that there would be a demand for the King!!!! This will be awesome!

June 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Tammy

I love ELVIS anyway I can see him is fine with me...GREAT IDEA...I will love it!!!

June 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. EP Fan

It would be great for those fans who were born after he died to see him in concert, so to speak. I saw him twice in Vegas and a couple of times locally and I have one word to describe it: Electrifying!

June 7, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  22. JillS

As one of the biggest EP fans ever, I find this creepy. Next we'll be bringing back your Uncle Harry who died in '84. It's all very morbid.

June 7, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. palintwit

Very soon the cost of this technology will come down and we will be able to have a hologram of Sarah Palin in every home. Personally, I can't wait.

June 7, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  24. David C

Help me. Obiwan Presley, you're my last hope.

Wow, this is 19th century technology. Pepper's Ghost is nothing new., But I wouldn't have expected rap fans to know that.

June 7, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  25. jay

i agree with aliengamer......let the man rest in peace.....yes hes an iconic singer...but come let...and yea its a money maker but. the makers of this are so dumb it isnt funny... so people i understand some of you are truly die hard fans like me.. put yourself in elvis shoes.. and if you beleave in your hearts you wont do this.. its like having one of your loved ones who passed away come back in a hologram.....please dont do it

June 7, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  26. Doug

This is not a hologram! The a damn reflection.. People are so ignorant! The tech to create true holograms doesn't exist!

June 7, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  27. Marti

this is going to be great.

June 7, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. geno in tenn

Elvis back-a hunk a hunk oh yeah

June 7, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  29. Sad

These people are just vain.

June 7, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  30. Eddie Munster

So it should be safe to say then, everyone, that if you own a CD of his music or videos, that you should throw them away because as mentioned, he's dead, let him rest, lets forget about him, let's not introduce him to a new generation so that they too can appreciate his music his vision? Yea they are making money on this, but again the point of this is to try to relive the great experience that they gave when they were alive, and I"m sure if they were alive today they would be up for this to happen, because it's not just an image of them but their name being recognized for the world to know and love...

June 7, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • J

All this "hologram" junk is nothing more than a cover/tribute band. Yeah, you're hearing the music being played pretty close to the original, but you still lose the spontaneity that made the original artist so great. If you're going to introduce younger generations to the music, then just have them listen to the music or watch old videos on Youtube.

June 7, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  31. Henk

I can't wait !!!

June 7, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  32. yankeeshogun

The man is DEAD for cryin' out loud. Let him rest!!!

June 7, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  33. Fact Checker

These are not holograms.

It is a computer-generated 2D image reflected off a sheet of glass. The Haunted Mansion in Disneyland has been doing the reflection thing for 50 years.

Go to a live concert, go outside, talk to your neighbors, live your life.

Elvis has left the planet, get over it.

June 7, 2012 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  34. AlienGamer

Am I the only one that believes that this is disrespecting these legend's? Making a copy of them, just to make money.. I really really hate where this is going.

June 7, 2012 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
    • AlienGamer

I wonder if the families if these icons have a say in this...

June 7, 2012 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Howard the Duck

@AlienGamer I know that Tupac's mother approved the hologram before Coachella. I read it in one of the articles. She was very happy with it too.

June 7, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  35. Central Scrutinizer

anything to make a buck.

June 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |