Jason Alexander sorry for 'gay' cricket comment
June 5th, 2012

Jason Alexander sorry for 'gay' cricket comment

Former “Seinfeld” star Jason Alexander got on the wrong side of some of his fans when he made a wisecrack about cricket being a "gay" sport, and he's since apologized.

The actor was speaking with Craig Ferguson on CBS' “The Late Late Show” Friday when the topic came up, and Alexander said cricket was, to him, "a bit gay" because "There's a lot of people wearing white. People wearing helmets for no discernible reason…Everybody breaks for tea in the middle."

And then, "You know how I know it's really kind of a gay game? It's the pitch," the actor went on. "It's the weirdest ... It's not like a manly baseball pitch; it's a queer British gay pitch."

By Sunday he'd realized his error, and to calm the rough media seas that erupted after his commentary, the 52-year-old actor tweeted a “message of amends."

He explained that he'd used the joke previously when hosting a show in Australia years prior, and at first didn't understand why it was now being seen as offensive. But, after reflecting on the gag with some of his gay friends, he said he realized where he went wrong.

"I should know better,” he tweeted. “My daily life is filled with gay men and women, both socially and professionally. I am profoundly aware of the challenges these friends of mine face and I have openly advocated on their behalf."

"So, I can only apologize and I do,” Alexander added. “In comedy, timing is everything. And when a group of people are still fighting so hard for understanding, acceptance, dignity and essential rights – the time for some kinds of laughs has not yet come. I hope my realization brings some comfort."

1. ASHESHSHYAAM

hey....ARE ALL OF YOU WORST THEN MAD???????? ALL OF YOU HAVE TO SHY ...IF ALL OF YOU DISCUSS ABOUT THE TOPICS...ALEXZNEDER IS GAY........ALEXZENDER IS OUR MEGA GOD...WE HAVE TO PROUD ..ON THIS TOPICS THAT ALEXZENDER IS OUR MEGA GOD FATHER...& ALEXZENDRIAA IS OUR MEGA GOD MOTHER ...TIME WILL SAY ASHESHSHYAAM IS RIGHT OR WRONG.................

August 22, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dermopigmentação

I'll immediately take hold of your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you've any? Kindly let me recognize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.

July 6, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MOJO

He said nothing wrong and should apologize for NOTHING.

June 23, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. PJ

"By Sunday he'd realized his error..." BY SUNDAY? Wow. That's gay AND retarded. Maybe Jason should get remedial head out of *ss classes or something.

June 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • PV

If Jason meant the sport of cricket is soft, i want to see a baseball player catch a home run ball with bare hands regularly and face Nolan Ryan without wearing a helmet

June 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tina

people are just being over-sensitive now... comedians joke about different groups all the time, but now I guess gay people are off limits

June 14, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. geiledate

hi!,I love your writing so much! share we communicate extra about your article on AOL? I need an expert in this area to resolve my problem. Maybe that's you! Taking a look forward to look you.

June 13, 2012 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sandy

Get a sense of humor.. and besides fit and smart dressed guys playing a game of cricket vs heavy set guys wearing tight pants playing baseball.. hmmmmm

June 12, 2012 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. Gahh

People have no sense of humor any more. Every time I see a picture of GW Bush, I laugh so hard I wet myself.

June 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jb2817

ARMAGEDDON!!!!!!!

June 11, 2012 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. yup

Gay gay gay you can't say anything in this country anymore who cares freedom of speech gays dont like it to bad your gay anyway who cares.

June 8, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
    • John

And you apparently are illiterate. Perhaps you might want to work on some remedial Grade 3 spelling before attempting clever online quips.

June 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JJ

Amber Lynette:

I understand, that as a black woman, you might find D. Chapelles imitations of white people funny. I do to and I am white.

However there is this whole sort of thing in which we are more acceptable of making fun of those who have not been repressed in our society or country. Black people have obviously and so have gays. Making fun of white people in this country is deemed less condescending—rightly so—because of our country's history.

That stated, I didn't find JA's comments anywhere near as hate inducing and vitriolic as Michael Richards's comments were. You can tell a lot from the anger and the apology in each of these cases.

June 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NickZadick

His hair grew back?

June 7, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  13. marc

apologies are so gay.

June 6, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Don

When PC reaches its zenith, we will all be perfect Nazis.

June 6, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mtjarhead

His apology was maybe the best I've ever heard. He didn't justify or overplay it – he just explained where he was coming from, acknowledged his error and asked for forgiveness. There's a lesson here for everyone. I have gained more respect for him as a result of this.

June 6, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Gordon

Jason Alexander has proven himself to be a class act. He not only apologized once he realized his faux pas, but he did it with style and grace. We all make mistakes in life, and say things we shouldn't at times, but how many of us apologize in such a meaningful way? My hat is off to him.

June 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. hugh

australians are animals. they laugh at anything.

June 6, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • bbob

they are an extremely course people. I just think it was weird of him to comment at all. I was watching Craig Ferguson when he was on and the audience was silent and Craig sort of shook his head. But Constanza continued. And he has that ridiculous toupee on as well. He is just a weird guy like that Kramer fellow (hates blacks) Constanza (hates gays) and Seinfeld and Elaine probably will offend a group of people soon enough.

June 7, 2012 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  18. marjewpor

Now can he apologize for apologizing?

SICK of all this PC krappolla.

June 6, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Hitler

Aw, it was kinda gay of him to say that stuff, really.

June 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Greg

Cricket balls are as hard as a baseball and are caught bare-handed. No soft leather gloves for the "gay" cricket player.

June 6, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. LeeMT

I'm still waiting for him to apologize for that offensive bubble boy episode on Seinfeld. Bubble people of the world, unite!

June 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

moops! moops!

June 6, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • an appology per episode

one appology per episode

they were equal offenders and a different group almost per week was the target

lighten up, especially in the loafers

June 7, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  22. ZombieHunter2012

Holy crap people, stop being so dang sensitive..he's a COMEDIAN, that's what they do! This country is getting ridiculous with this PC crap!

June 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

Yes, please. Can the world at large lighten up? I thought it was funny. Thank you. From a blonde, senior citizen, who has heard countless jokes about blondes, dumb blondes, women, old women, mothers in law, Jewish women and on and on. It's clled humor.

June 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. cleareye1

Cricket is a very demanding physical activity and is by no means an 'effeminate' sport. But gay, yes.

June 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bob

Not that there's anything wrong with that

June 6, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  25. JeffJ

Another example of how political correctness has gotten out of control in this country. I'm so sick of constantly watching people apologize for saying things because of the chance that someone somewhere might be offended. If he had said "I hate gay people", then that would call for an apology. But a joke about cricket is not offensive.

June 6, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  26. Smack-it-up-Flip-it-Rub-it-down

How does a straight man know so much about the game of Cricket????? THAT IS PRETTY GAY!!!!

June 6, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  27. lynne

If stand-up comedy performers are allowed to discuss race for the sake of comedy in an often offensive way, then he should be allowed to use the word gay. Everyone needs to back off, realize it was not a personal insult or a reflection of his views on ALL GAY PEOPLE or the British, and move on with their lives.

June 6, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  28. Doug Hiser

Alexander is a "Putz"!!! never liked him and oh well about gays...if they can't take it move to france!!!.....lol

June 6, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  29. Cookie Cutter

What's up with PG America...stop being so sensitive about everything. Just live your life and be happy!

And I agree with nearly everyone above me, cricket is very gay.

June 6, 2012 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  30. sickandtired

whats gay is all this we have to be sensitive crap to everything. Grow the f up and stop being p*&^%$s every time someone says something remotely about a belief you have. what the hell is going on with this country.

June 6, 2012 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  31. Truman North

He shouldn't call cricket "g@y"; it's more retarded.

June 6, 2012 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  32. Prof Van Nostros

Is George wearing a rug? I'm a transgender lesbian, trapped in a g@y mans body. I was not offended by Jason's comments or by any comments on this blog board.

June 5, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Art Vandolay

Who cares what George thinks anyway. Cricket is not a g@y sport. But men's water polo sure is g@y. So is womens volleyball and basketball. Playing checkers too. And anyone who dances on DWTS, is sure to be g@y too! -Art

June 5, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Bill

Really? Is this really a story? You would think that the gays would be more offended by the way they're stereotyped on TV these days, where the guys are really effeminate, with the hoaky lisps and all seem to be interior decorators and clothes designers (see Bravo TV). People need to get over themselves. And yes, cricket is toally gay....

June 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  35. El Ton

Jason, I'm not gay, and your comments were not offensive to me at all.

June 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Sokman

First Kramer, & now George. Wonder when Elaine is going to be exposed for being a red dragon in the kkk, & Jerry is an illuminate in the masons

June 5, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

"First Kramer, & now George. Wonder when Elaine is going to be exposed" They are New Yorkers. What did you expect? Yorkies are high-strung and often a bit inbred. They don't like strangers or children.

June 6, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  37. cricketfan

I thought people were offended because they were cricket fans!

June 5, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Clydie

Did Alexander apologize for the thing on his head in that photo?

June 5, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

"Did Alexander apologize for the thing on his head in that photo?" A Dutch artist is going to turn his toupee into a flying helicopter and fly it over a cricket match.

June 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Rob

On the rare ocassion when I surf late night TV, Ferguson always seems to be doing anti-English "comedy". It's boring and not funny. Ditto Jason Alexander. Could say more, but......

June 5, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Gary

Every race, ethnicity, religion and orientation should be fair game in comedy. WHY are we becoming such a stuck up country that's so afraid of offending everyone else? If a LBGT person made a joke about a straight person, I don't think a single person would say that was wrong; because it isn't. People want so badly to be 'that person' who appears to really get it and want things to be equal, and we're losing our sense of humor. I'm totally against repressing the rights of gays, they should be allowed to marry and do all the things straight people are allowed to do. That being said, guess what? Sometimes you're also going to be part of a joke. Alexander did nothing to repress their rights or advancement. Get over it. Same thing with race. When Dave Chapelle does his white guy impression it's one of the funniest things in the world lol everyone needs to relax.

June 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amber Lynette

I'm black and I didn't think Dave Chapelles white man impressions.Some of his impressions were funny and i've laughed at a lot of his stuff.Jason shouldn't have apologized for what he said,I get it,it was a joke. He's got to make his paper so he has to back peddle and kiss azz.

June 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Laurie

Jason, I'm gay and I know you meant no attacks on the gay community. I took your comment as being funny and harmless. No hard feelings here.

June 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Noobian Prinsess

What's wrong with what he said? Everybody is to caught up in being to PC about the Gay. Actresses can't stop saying the n-word, but Costanza tells it like it is and people up in arms? Really America?

PS: Cricket gay.