June 4th, 2012

Michelle Pfeiffer: Why I became a vegan

Michelle Pfeiffer admits in a new interview that vanity played a part in her decision to adopt a vegan lifestyle, but she adds that more than anything it was because of a desire to live a healthier life.

The 54-year-old actress tells Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Monday's edition of "Piers Morgan Tonight" that watching his documentary, "The Last Heart Attack," gave her plenty of food for thought.

"I was finishing up working on, I think it was 'Dark Shadows,'" she says. "And I was watching CNN, and 'The Last Heart Attack' came on."

As she was watching the documentary, which explores preventative measures for heart disease, it was former President Bill Clinton's story that really hit home.

Pfeiffer, who considers herself to also be a "foodie," watched Clinton and said, "OK, Bill Clinton loves food, so there must be something to [veganism] that's making him stick to it. And also, he's smart, so he's not going to do something unless he really thinks there's some science behind it."

After reading the book "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease," which advocates for a plant-based, oil-free diet, Pfeiffer says her mind was made up.

"I just felt like...there was science behind it," she says. "And, you know, it was sort of irrefutable. ... I couldn't not listen to it. My father died from cancer, and the older you get, there's a lot of disease around you. And you see people struggling with chronic disease. You see people dying with terminal illnesses. And if in any way .... this is true, then you kind of have to listen to it."

As someone who loves carbs, Pfeiffer says she's enjoying the vegan diet, and has her husband of 19 years, David E. Kelley, trying to make the switch.

The older she gets, Pfeiffer says of her views on diet, the more her focus and intent is geared toward living a longer life.

"Vanity is right under there," she admits, "but I have to say that it's a close second with wanting to live long."

Watch the full interview with Michelle Pfeiffer when she stops by "Piers Morgan Tonight" at 9 p.m. ET.

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

Filed under: Celebrities • TV-Piers Morgan

1. Nereida Spalinger

Veganism is a small but growing movement. In many countries the number of vegan restaurants is increasing, and some of the top athletes in certain endurance sports – for instance, the Ironman triathlon and the ultramarathon – practise veganism, including raw veganism.^^...

Our blog <http://picturesofherpes.co/index.php

July 9, 2013 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mohammed Pean

Semi-vegetarian diets consist largely of vegetarian foods, but may include fish or poultry, or sometimes other meats, on an infrequent basis. Those with diets containing fish or poultry may define "meat" only as mammalian flesh and may identify with vegetarianism.,'*,

Our blog site <http://picturesofherpes.co/

July 8, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BE RIGHT OVER...SQUASHING T. DELL 13...

June 23, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SQUASHING T.DELL 13..THANKS

June 23, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Irwin Comrey

Many different conditions can lead to painful joints, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, bursitis, gout, strains, sprains, and other injuries. Joint pain is extremely common. In one national survey, about one-third of adults reported having joint pain within the past 30 days. Knee pain was the most common complaint, followed by shoulder and hip pain, but joint pain can affect any part of your body, from your ankles to your shoulders. As you get older, painful joints become increasingly more common.,"."

Our own web page http://www.healthmedicinejournal.comed

June 23, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. No matter how old and how heavy....they will still be friends.

April 4, 2013 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ora Hurlock

Although vegetarianism may seem like a modern idea, in reality, its health benefits have been known for many years in cultures around the world. India and the far east make up the largest percentage of the world’s vegetarians, both for health and spiritual reasons. One group of people, the Hunza, who live near the Himalaya’s have a diet which is exclusively vegetarian. Members of their community reportedly often live to be over 100 years of age.-

Most current content on our own blog
    <.http://www.foodsupplementdigest.com/acidophilus-milk/

April 4, 2013 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. elektroniczne papierosy

What a video it is! Truly remarkable and nice quality, please upload more videos having such nice quality. Thanks. elektroniczne papierosy http://iqracollege.com/index.php?do=/profile-46694/info/

February 23, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DON'T MUNCH MEMORY

AND DONT LISTEN...

February 8, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. business as usual

bye

February 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Momentarily Confident...

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

February 8, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. 16 yr old

bore

February 8, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Find Out More

Hello Dear, are you really visiting this web page on a regular basis, if so then you will without doubt obtain fastidious knowledge.| Find Out More http://sdkfsdklfskdlflsd.com

February 8, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Adizero F50

Hello We are so thrilled I discovered your website, I truly located you in error, while I was observing on google for another thing, Nonetheless We are here now and definitely prefer to say say thanks to for any tremendous publish along with a over-all engaging blog site. Please maintain the fantastic perform.
    Adizero F50 http://www.soccer-dreams.com

October 27, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. Cottage Cheese Diet Kit

{ Great information | Good info | Wonderful information } { I'll check back | I will be back | I will check back } { for any info | for more info | for information } {related to | about | in regards to } the Cottage Cheese Diet. I {have heard|read}|have seen|browsed} a lot {about|on|regarding|in regards to} diet shakes, and it {appears|seemslooks like|is apparent} there are {mixed reviews|differing opinions|several points of view|great reviews}.

September 19, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Faye

Good on her. Veganism is becoming mainstream now. I've never felt better since going vegan. I did it for ethical reasons and had no idea I would have any health benefits from it but surprisingly to me, it had a huge impact. My chronic fatigue I suffered from for two decades has gone and I don't get the constant colds flu’s and chest infections I used to get. I'm 51 and fitter than I was when I was 20.

September 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. icon-design

It cannot be!

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

September 12, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Stuart

One main reason that the world wide web and computers exist, and that you readers have the mental capacity to read the MP article and post commentary, is that human ancestors incorporated meat (especially cooked meat) into their diets a couple million years ago and there was an evolutionary leap in brain size because of it.

Food for thought. (cough)

July 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stuart

Here's another good link on the topic. There are many others.

July 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. vegan83

Anyone who says we can't thrive on a plant based diet simply likes the taste of meat. I'm 46, fit, not skinny, a marathon runner, triathalon participant, have competed in several "mud runs" and have plenty of energy. I haven't consumed flesh in 26 years and gave up eggs and dairy 10 years ago. If you want to eat decomposing flesh, you legally have that right. But please, stop playing misinformed scientist to justify the death of living, feeling creatures for the sake of your tastebuds.

July 1, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

beautifully put! I'm not much of an athlete, more of a walker/hiker, but a vegan diet has been tremendously beneficial to my families health! The little things, like no more back pain and improved eyesight, make all the difference.

November 4, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Evo

Veganism is a serious eating disorder caused by mental illness.
    Every vegan I've met is f'ed in the head.

July 1, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  21. Ted Striker

Been veggie (not full vegan) for about a year. But one thing that I HAVE noticed about veggie girls, they are all so gorgeous. Growing up I always thought the vegan girls were the ones that never showered or shaved their legs and had these cult-like beliefs. But now that my horizons have expanded, I meet so many girls who are just gorgeous inside and out, warm personalities and they literally glow (not joking, some of them look like they are on some skin care commercial how because of how "healthy" they look).

June 29, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. M. Butterflies Katz

Michelle Pfeiffer is no vegan. Veganism is not a diet for your own health. That is a plant-powered diet or herbivorous diet. Vegans eat this kind of diet, but veganism extends beyond food. Veganism is all about non-participation in animal exploitation, always has been since its inception. So hopefully President Clinton and other celebrities will move beyond their own personal and respect other sentient animals, as well – by not being a part of the demand for other feeling animals to be oppressed, enslaved, and assaulted by humans.

June 26, 2012 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
    • ToniD

And because you're a personal friend of Pfeifer's you know she's not a "true" vegan. I have a suggestion for you: people that care so much about animals shouldn't brag about it while trashing another human being.

Go eat a big steak, get that anger and frustration out of our system, and then come back and play. The lack of red, juicy beef is making you cranky.

June 27, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. PerLo68

We can argue as the day is long on the benefits of eating a vegan diet and vice-versa. I would offer, though, for those who think we vegans are crazy or bleeding hearts to watch the first two parts of the trilogy directed/produced by Shaun Monson; "Earthlings" and "Unity." You may still enjoy the taste of meat, but you might look at sentient beings (and the human race) a little differently and make changes to your diet and lifestyle as such.

June 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bregginkrak

I like veggies. I like meat. I like all the wonderful things I eat.
    I'm not fat. I'm not skinny. I'll eat what's in front of me and not be picky

June 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Grant

I was a vegan for years, and I never seemed to have enough energy. I could see adopting it in later life, but for now at age 27, I cut out the starches (bread, rice), legumes (beans, soy), and dairy, and I started eating a lot of fish, pork, and grass fed beef. I have never felt better. I avoid factory farmed stuff as much as possible and I don't drink alcohol. I'm highly recommend eating lots of raw colorful vegetables and raw nuts, and eating fish and lean grass fed beef and bacon, of course.

June 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted Striker

No offense grant but I was a huge meat eater for most of my life and went veggie for over a year now and have never been this energetic. It's been great for me. Maybe you just needed more protein and omega-3 intake. Glad you found something that works for you.

June 29, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Rockm

MP was a world class cigarette smoker (Marlboro Reds) at one time. Since she wants to get healthy, I wonder if that includes kicking the habit.

June 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mandy Smith

Reblogged this on BlackBox Cosmetics.

June 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Bill Meyers

To all of those who believe that the China Study, Dr. Esselstyn's, and Dr. Campbell's combined research and case studies are simply miss-guided and a fraud – I have just one thing to say. Science and research continues to evolve and improve our lives. At one time people thought the world was flat, and that cigarette smoking was actually beneficial to your health. It took time, but eventually most people came around to accepting the realty of these facts. The effects of a plant based diet on one's health at the exclusion of animal products is a proven fact that for many people that is to severe to accept. It is also a realty that runs counter to the economic interests of our country (dairy and meat industry)

June 17, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Ted Striker

Well said Bill and I agree, I believe eventually meat eating will be looked down as a barbaric practice.

I can't blame people who have meat as their only food source, but here in the US we have the means x100000 to not have to eat meat but we do it only for pleasure. I'm not sure how anyone who loves animals can do it. You wouldn't eat your family dog would you?

Ironically if you have ever been around turkeys they are extremley affectionate an sentient beings I don't know how someone could destroy life like that.

June 29, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. John

I suffer from gout, and after a really bad flare up a few years ago, I decided to make some drastic diet changes. I went to a mostly vegan diet and the effects have been dramatic. I essentially am on a Mediterranean diet, but with vastly reduced meat intake. I eat meat one meal per week, and it's usually fish. My joints feel better, I feel lighter and more energized after a meal instead of bloated and weighed down, and I have an improved overall sense of well-being. I highly recommend the diet for overall health, but also to those who suffer from joint pain or inflammation.

June 15, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted Striker

John I had the same reaction, sense of well-being and energy way up. NEVER have digestive problems....EVER, downstairs everything just moves really well and am never bloated. I dropped a ton of fat from the midsection, am building muscle too and do not feel any lack of power because of not eating meat. There are tons of vegan bodybuilders out there so you don't need meat to get big and shredded.

June 29, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Dragon

Sharks have a small gene pool. If no shark has ever had cancer, it would only take one cancer case to spread that gene.

June 15, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  31. gahh

Fish has mercury, red meat causes cancer, vegetables have chemicals, fruit has chemicals, especially apples. All you can do is eat, and pray whatever you're eating, doesn't kill you.

June 11, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Cizzle

Vegans are in the exact same category as religious fanatics.

June 9, 2012 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Newyorker

Sure, religious fanatics do it for health reasons that have scientific basis for it. Total idi8t.

June 10, 2012 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill Meyer

With that kind of remark you deserve to continue on your typical American diet. I would encourage you to supersize more often and eat more cheese on that bacon burger as it is certainly a lot tastier !

June 17, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • vegan83

I just want to say thank you Bill for that comment. I plan to steal it for future use!

July 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Lia

Good for Michele. I'm glad she's enjoying it. I recently switched to an exclusively plant-based diet and I like it a lot.

While I'm not totally sure about the science behind fats/animal products and their relationship to disease (there are a lot of correlations and so far, no causation), I do think focusing on whole foods and plants is likely to be healthier.

I do not think "meat is murder" and I don't think it's immoral to eat animals. What I DO think is immoral is the way they're treated before death. I'm okay with eating animal products, but I'm not okay with the lack of care and respect for the animals who are basically living and dying for us. If we could be cautious, caring, moderate and respectful about it, I would have no issues incorporating animal products.

But yeah, I'm glad to see a trend toward healthy veg*nism is celebrities.

June 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  34. sawolf

Forget the Bovine growth hormones, and antibiotics or the E coli, but seriously 239 lbs per year per person?

June 8, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  35. cave man dave

But I just love the taste and feel of juicy cow flesh. Nothing beats a BBQed grain-fed free range ribeye, dripping with fat and blood red in the middle. How can something so yummy be a bad thing???? Now I'm hungry. Must go find cow, Oh... with pommes frites of course...

June 7, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sun

I'm there with ya, Cave Man. I like mine mooing rare as well, just like nature intended.

June 9, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  36. Winner

I find it very interesting the amount of meat eaters that become an expert on nutrician as soon as they hear the word vegan.

The fact of the matter is in this day and age, animals don't need to die for your selfishness, vegan food tastes great and can provide you with your full nutricianal needs (no supplements required if you do it right).

June 7, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Sorry, "Winner", but it's a little hard to take criticism seriously from someone who can't even spell nutrition.

June 7, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • jb2817

Meat is murder
      TASTY TASTY MURDER

June 7, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Summer

What really throws me for a loop in talking to vegans is how they ignore the science that the ONE creature on the planet that doesn't get cancer is a shark... and all that sharks eat is MEAT. That being the case, the real causes of diseases are not simply split between a plant / animal diet. North Americans definitely need to eat more veggies, fruits and less processed foods, but I don't think a vegan diet is the be all / end all of healthy eating.

June 7, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sun

Learn to spell, Loser!

June 9, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Becky

Not true. I am vegan, have been for about a year. Vitamin B12 needs to be supplemented through either a pill or fortified food such as nutritional yeast, soy milk, cereal, etc. It's dangerous to ignore this, especially for children.
      I just had a bunch of blood tests to check my vitamin and mineral levels: I am not anemic, I have normal levels of vitamin D, B12, and folate. Go vegan!

June 9, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  37. John D'Boeuf

I choose to limit the amount of foie gras I consume to no more than once a month. If eating meat would by definition kill you (forget the silliness of murdering cows and other livestock) then no one would be alive on the planet today. The dominant civilizations of the world had both grains and large animals suitable for food and transport of goods, i.e. beasts of burden. All others were ultimately losers. Chew your cud on that one!

June 6, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • YOLKA

MEAT IS MURDER!

June 20, 2012 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
    • vegan83

summer, that's an ignorant statement. We are not sharks. They're fish, not mammals. Their diet has absolutely zero to do with human health. Look at their teeth and their digestive system. NOT human! Why spout such ignorant statements as same basis for eating decomposing flesh? Doesn't support any argument.

July 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Oh Please

Vegan Dave proves what veganism is for most ... beyond a fad ... it's a freakin' religion.

Going to put on my leather shoes and walk straight for a "murdered" (do you know how ridiculous that makes you sound??) cow burger now.

June 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • boo

it's my philosophy in life...but not a "religion". i don't push my beliefs on others. i do my own thing, passively, and live a life that is congruent to my values.

i've been a vegan for over ten years, a strict vegetarian for over ten years before that (never liked meat and milk growing up), and happen to love animals. but that's who i am. doesn't mean you have to be that and vice versa.

not all of us are fanatical. trust me. and i've learned a lot of times, the fanatical aren't 100% vegan - so it's frustrating for me, who does her thing and there are people out there giving something positive a really bad rap or "cheat" (because it kind of defeats what your philosophy is). some of us are actually quite nice, or interesting, etc, etc, that you might actually want to be friends with. i apologize for those that aren't. i, personally, ignore them.

June 7, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Katherine

Good for you Michelle. There are tons of delicious meals that are not only cruelty free but your organs, your arteries and your waistline (not to mention lives of animals saved and the planet less strained) will thank you. Intelligent move MiLady.

June 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  40. YYZ

i dont care what she eats – she is a fantastic looking woman

June 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Stop

First and foremost you can't undo damage to a heart muscle after a heart attack, so please let's stop saying that any type of diet, exercise or anything else can. Once the heart is damaged, it's damaged. You can eat better and exercise to prevent further disease and damage, but there's no unringing that bell. Also, enough of the pseudo science that says "how we are physiologically designed." Humans are omnivores, get over it. You can CHOOSE to be vegan, vegetarian, lacto-ovo-whatever it does not change the fact that the human body is capable of processing both animal and vegetable material to get necessary nutrients for survival. What you choose to eat is up to each individual, so let's get off the judgement bandwagon shall we?

June 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ball

false sir

June 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

that is correct.

June 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lesli R.

You say humans are omnivores. Based on what? Look at our teeth. Humans have grinding teeth of a herbavore. We do not have true canines that would be needed for meat biting, tearing, and ripping. True omnivores, like apes, hunt down and kill thier own meat. Not pay someone to do the unpleasantries for them (slaughterhouse and butcher). True omnivores do not cook thier meat to make it more pleasant to the taste. They eat the meat while still hot and twitching. They eat raw and wiggling, tendons veins, and all. If you claim you are an omnivore, then you would hunt and eat like
      other true omnivores. But you dont, do you. You pay someone else kill your "prey" for you. You cook your meal to "make it taste better." You chew your meat, instead of just swallowing it. Also, our intestines are not desined for meat digesting. Intestinal tracks for true meat eaters (omnis and carnis) are short, so as to process it and pass on before it has time to putrify and rott. Humans have a long digestive track, like a herbavore, so the body can extract most of the nutrients from the plant based meal. Meat rots and putrifies in a humans digestive tract. Thats why many have digestive problems like horrendous flatulence, with equally horrendous odor, constipation, hemoroids, prolapsed large intestine, diverticulitis, and many other digestive failure symptoms. Anyway, if you go out in the wild and hunt down your own prey, and eat it, on site, while its still hot, pulsing, and twitching, like the apes do, by all means, I will gladly call you an omnivore. Until that time, a little science, biology, and human anatomy studies might surprise you. Also for those on the religious track read: Genesis 1:29-30, Daniel 1:12-16, Mormons may also read Doctrine &Covenent 89. There is my two cents worth.

June 17, 2012 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
    • This guy

Lesli – please allow me to turn the table on your argument here. First let me give you some background. I live in south/central Texas where the vegetation is hardy, rough, fibrous and in many case very toxic to humans. My first argument is for you to come out to south Texas and live your vegan lifestyle by means of ONLY what you find on the land. I give you a few days at best. In fact, there are only a few places on the Earth where a true vegan lifestyle can be supported. My challenge is to clear your pantry and live off of ONLY what you can source naturally within five miles of your home. So how much of the "dirty" work is done by farmers (both domestic and foreign) so you can ridicule others? Personally, I do hunt, kill, process and butcher my own meats. I also tend my own garden for my fruits and veggies. It's a full time job, and I am thankful I am in a position to source the vast majority of my own food.
      Along those lines, it would be impossible to deny that humans are "supposed" to be vegan. It just doesn't add up. The humans that are vegan are only vegan until the crops fail. Then hunting, fishing, and scavenging become necessity for survival. Veganism is a luxury that has been afforded to us by modern society and technology. I'm not saying it's wrong or whatever, but look at the facts. Like I said, come down to Texas, work on my ranch for 14+ hours a day and source your own vegan foods (like I source my food – deer, wild pigs, the occasional cow that needs to be put down, home grown veggies) and then we will see how much you have to really eat. If you want to get on a soapbox about what humans are and are not supposed to be doing... get out of your little cubicle and A/C houses, get out in to nature and build your own shelters, find your own water, find your own food, and make your own clothes. Otherwise, someone else will ALWAYS be doing your "dirty work".

June 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChristinaT

The heart muscle CAN repair itself. While many times it does not fully return to it's original function, much of the damage caused by an MI is reversible. Appropriate exercise, medication, and a proper diet (whichever diet you choose) helps the repair process. I don't want people to listen to you and think, "Well, I had a heart attack. I'm never going to get any better. I may as well not even try."

June 24, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  42. cafemoi

It worked for Steve Jobs and Davey Jones.

June 6, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • kathy

oh dont be a narrow minded ninny, there are other factors in their lifestyles. Pre-existing conditions, the life styles they held "Before" and genes sure play a part BUT FOR THE MOST PART and IN GENERAL, no animal products in our foods/diet IS an investment in health. See Food Inc, a great docu-movie.

June 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • cafemoi

No animal products in our food is complete folly. We've evolved on animal diets and we need animal fats and vitamins. Claims that veganism/vegetariansm works are not supported by science. Claims that saturated fat is bad has never been supported. Never! I follow thousands of diabetics around the world, and I don't see any reversing their conditions this way. By far HFLC (non-frankenfarmed) animal based diets work best. Sugar is what kills, and a plant based diet is usually high in it.

June 7, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  43. Jake

Well, humans have been eating meat for thousands of years. Relatively speaking, agriculture is fairly new too; it's only been around for 10,000 years. Evolutionary biologists agree that it takes about 50,000 years to fully adapt to dietary changes, so technically, were not even fully adapted to grains yet.

Removing all meat and animal products? Jesus Christ, it can't be older than 50 years. IT IS A FAD DIET. It's an experiment in cognitive dissonance, and it's being hammered down our throat from every bully pulpit.

I'd like someone to show me a healthy person, that had vegan parents and has been vegan their whole lives. Let's just see how fit and reproductive they are.

June 6, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

and the obesity issue? the new chemicals being injected into the farm animal? Pink goo in the meats? young kids with diabetes? none of these facts register that the American Diet is beyond poor. Its not working. We are a sick, pill popping nation because of it.

June 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  44. jb2817

If vegan food is so good, then why is it shaped to like and flavored to taste like meat?

June 6, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  45. Name*Manoël Collon

I am Happy for you and Enjoy this Road on thé Healthy Way . Became "raw food" adept and You Will Stay the most Beautiful comédienne.( actress) . What you eat is What you become. From Paris hello and kiss

June 6, 2012 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  46. Scott Pilgrim

I have told Michelle before.... Vegan!! Began!!!!!

June 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Vegan Dave

For anyone interested in getting started you can request a free vegan starter kit by going: VeganStarterPack [dot] com

June 5, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Frances

Great Michell, congratulations

June 5, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  49. KAROLINA

love it!! living and feeding behavior ETHICAL yeeesssssssssssssssssssssssss

June 5, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  50. fernando

STUPID PEOPLE THAT ARE AGAINST THIS FOOD ETHICAL BEHAVIOR.

June 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Luana

I am amazed at all these negative comments about Michelle Pheiffer! I think she looks fabulous! Also, being a vegan is not a " fad diet"... It is a lifestyle choice that more and more intelligent people are choosing. She will have the last laugh on all the negative comment people! .....

June 5, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  52. anna

Michelle is lovely but I really dont care what she eats!

Why it is even printed I will never know.

June 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  53. sara r.

There's no way that you could convince me that a vegan diet is healthy in the long run. Never in the history of mankind has any society thrived or even survived on a vegan diet. A vegan diet is pretty much impossible to maintain without supplements; that in itself should tell you something. Personally I stick to a balanced diet with some eggs, humanely-raised meat, and grass-fed raw milk. I feel better than I ever have, and most importantly to me, it makes sense in the context of mankind's history with food.

June 5, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss Leah Beah

that is not true. china and other places have done it for generation and their health only decreased when they started eating a western diet

June 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Many do thrive and it's a shame to see people spread misinformation when they probably haven't studied any cultural anthropology at all. Sikhism eats no meat and will not eat eggs. They are alive and well.

June 5, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • granimal

They also eat a lot of butter and milk however, which gives them all those healthy fats and animal-based vitamins/minerals.

June 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vegan Dave

Our bodies are designed to thrive on plant-based foods. No species drinks milk of another species or after they are babies, humans don't have fangs and are not designed to eat raw flesh, and while we may have occasionally found eggs in the wild it would not have been something we eat often, of ever.
      I have been vegan for 18 yrs and I am healthier than most people.

June 5, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill Meyers

Sara r. – I am sorry, but you a sadly deluded. These are U.S. nutritional health guidelines for the late 1950's and 1960's. Any U.S. government health official that still quotes these has got the dairy and meat industry in his or hers pockets.

June 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  54. voice of reason

Okay – I am sure there is a healthy way to be vegan. There. There is my disclaimer.

I am anti-veganism for the very same reason I would be anti-carnivore (or atkins). I think the best way to be healthy is to have a well thought out, moderate diet that contains LEAN meats (again, in moderation) and healthy amounts of grains, vegatables, fruits, etc. Humans are natually omnivorous, and while many, many people eat fatty meats and no vegatables, I don't see how going completely the other way is healthy.

June 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • oops

vegetables* excuse me.

June 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vegan Dave

Even if eating animals in "moderation were healthy for humans, or at least not damaging to our bodies [which it is], it is still unethical. Murder is moderation is still murder.

June 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  55. vegcoachdotcom

As for Robin Gibb and others that naysayers want to point to...you never know all the things/genes they were exposed to in their lives. I almost died of a colon blockage 30 years ago, (docs said I'd need to be on meds for the rest of my life) and faced a hysterectomy...Avoided all that with a healthy vegan diet. Docs usually don't take a single nutrition class in med school. The cancer fund-raising machines if you talk to those behind the scenes, as I have, are about funding the business of cancer to keep the hospitals and device/gadget companies in business.

Eating vegan is way more convenient than getting your chest cracked open for heart disease, chemo, or losing a limb to diabetes. I've seen it my family up close and personal all my life. Google me and you'll see if I look like I have any deficiencies! ;) Eating a balanced vegan diet has saved my life too, I believe. And it's enhanced my athletic performance. I run faster now than I did 30 years ago, and my 100 Meter times are close to NCAA college girls track team times!

June 5, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  56. vegcoachdotcom

So glad to see all this get more mainstream. "Shapes" Magazine this week called vegan eating a "sect." Really? I'm was a 2X Emmy-winning investigative/consumer reporter for 18 years, followed by 5 years as a financial consultant at Smith Barney. More importantly, I watched my mom, aunt & BOTH sisters get breast cancer. Most of them, and all other adults got major heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's and/or arthritis. At almost 60, I place in 5K races, did my 1st marathon recently and was the 5th oldest female to finish (Palm Beaches). I didn't get all the good genes. As for Robin Gibb and others that naysayers want to point to...you never know all the things/genes they were exposed to in their lives. I almost died of a colon blockage 30 years ago, (docs said I'd need to be on meds for the rest of my life) and faced a hysterectomy...Avoided all that with a vegan diet. Docs usually don't take a single nutrition class in med school. The cancer fund-raising machines if you talk to those behind the scenes, as I have, are about funding the business of cancer to keep the hospitals and device/gadget companies in business.

As I often say, when you understand there's no money in broccoli, do your own investigative reporting, follow the money, and decide what works best for you. I wrote my book, "Eat Vegan on $4 a Day" after seeing too many stories showing obese women on food stamps loading their carts with Twinkies saying, "You can't eat well on a budget." Eating vegan is way more convenient than getting your chest cracked open for heart disease, chemo, or losing a limb to diabetes. I've seen it my family up close and personal all my life. Google me and you'll see if I look like I have any deficiencies! ;) Eating a balanced vegan diet has saved my life too, I believe. And it's enhanced my athletic performance.

June 5, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • vegcoachdotcom

apologies for the double-post. site kept asking for my password... ;)

June 5, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  57. denouement1

really? why is this even an article?

June 5, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  58. Just Me

Robin Gibb was a vegan and died of cancer – it guarantees nothing. I have asked my oncologists about diet and cancer and NONE of them even suggest that going vegan will stop cancer from happening or coming back. Don't you think cancer research groups, like Susan G Komen, would tell all people diagnosed to STOP eating meat and animal products?
    Vegan is a better diet, but it is not a miracle diet that will make you invincible.

June 5, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Karen

You're right. Being vegan is no guarantee because it can still be unhealthy (too much sugar, processed foods etc) BUT, a vegan diet super rich in WHOLE grains, vegetables and fruit is. Look up the diets Eat to Live and Engine 2 and you will see that people can reverse their diseases (especially of the heart and diabetes). I believe it will also greatly reduce the risk of cancer as cancer is about mutation, usually due to exposure to bad things (asbestos, smoke, etc).

June 5, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Kellie

Just because one smokes does not mean that he/she will die of cancer. I know many people who have lived long lives as smokers. Do these one-off anecdotes mean we can all start investing in cigarettes - you know - no guarantees and all.

June 5, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Stacy

No, veganism guarantees nothing but what does? Do you wear a seatbelt? If so, why? You aren't then guaranteed to not die in a car accident. It is to put the odds in one's favor. Do you know how much nutrition education doctors get? Some actually get none, the rest get virtually none. They are the last people you want to get nutrition information from.

June 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • areyouawaredotnet

Heads up if you're against animal testing! Susan G Komen FUNDS animal testing! You can get a confirmation (by doing a search) at http://www.humaneseal.org

June 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  59. laurab68

Most of my diet is vegetarian as I don't often eat meat & get most of my protein through soy, lentils and nuts, but it's always going to be the smell of bbq which keeps me a partial carnavore! What can I say...I'm a work in progress :)

June 5, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  60. hmmmmmmm

So Michelle, when David E. Kelley cheats on you, you cant get mad at him...Bill clinton did it and hes smart so there must be science nehind it

June 5, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • MK

Yours may be the dumbest comment I've ever read on any post. Good thing you left off your name.

June 5, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  61. Victoria

Michelle is still so beautiful and talented-great news that she's become a vegan.

June 5, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  62. JMB

Why is it that nobody focuses on the benefits of eating fish? Study after study has shown that consumption of fish reduces the risk of death from heart disease more than vegetarianism and way more than veganism. Veganism is actually second only to the consumption of red meat in terms of the mortality of its followers (out of vegetarianism, veganism, fish-eating vegetarianism and red meat-eating). A quick review of the scientific literature will show that Dr. Gupta and the rest of CNN aren't backing up their advocacy of veganism with any peer-reviewed sources, which is upsetting given how many people blindly take their (CNN and Gupta's) advice. I think Dr. Gupta is an excellent person and I look up to him an awful lot. I still thought "The Last Heart Attack" was poorly done and incredibly one-sided. If you're going to make a claim so powerful, make sure you have powerful data to back it up. Case studies of 3 people aren't powerful enough data to warrant a label as compelling as "heart attack proof," especially when there have already been studies done that show veganism is anything but.

TLDR; don't eat red meat, eat fish, think for yourself, and look at things from different sides.

June 5, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Right now fish is full of mercury and people are being poisoned, not only that but the fishing industry has done and is doing so much harm to your water and to the animals that it's not worth it.l Read some articles on this by David Suzuki.
      Oh and farmed fish? Well, when one gets sick- they all get chemicals shoved into them. It's no longer healthy at all.

June 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vegan Dave

Agree with Sarah. Also, fish are sentient beings capable of feeling pain and fear, they have the same right to their lives and bodies as we do.

June 5, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • areyouawaredotnet

Why is it that no one has compassion for fish?....let alone the farm animals that end up on plates 3x a day? I don't eat fish (lobster, crab etc) simply because I care for them! Got compassion? http://www.carnism.com

June 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

nope, no health benefits from eating fish, especially with all the toxins and mercury we've put in the water. A whole foods vegan diet is a recipe for long life and health. You are just trying to justify the brutal slaughter of billions of innocent beings, but failing miserably.

November 4, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  63. stephpoce

Michelle still looks sooo incredibly beautiful at 54 and I always respected her as a talented actress but now I respect her as a beautiful, talented and compassionate-towards-animals actress. Way to promote against violence and killing towards all living beings. Bravo!

June 5, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  64. peacemonger

she;s still gorgeous...the perfect face

June 5, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  65. Iris

June 5, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  66. Daniela

Parabéns!!! Go vegan!!!!

June 5, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  67. Jake

II love when the media focuses it's attention on fad diets.

June 4, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandy

Hey Jake this is not a fad diet!!

June 5, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Vegan Dave

Veganism is not a fad. I have been vegan for 18 years. Vegan as a diet for health may be a fad for some, but physiologically, humans are herbivores. Vegan diet is just another term for plant-base diet, how we are designed to eat. Veganism is more than a diet, however, it is an ethical way of living that shows respect for all animals' right to their own lives and bodies, and it rejects the objectification and exploitation of all sentient beings.

June 5, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Vegan absolutely is not a fad diet. It's a diet about health, compassion, sustainability, and love.

November 4, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Ann Bougher

I agee with MN. I think that 83 point drop in her cholesterol affected her vocabulary.

June 4, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  69. MN Story

For goddness sakes!!!! How many times can a supposedly intelligent woman say, "UUUUMMMM". And also "You know". She sounds like a teen idiot.
    MN

June 4, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelvis

I agree! The "UUUUMMMMM" and the "You know" were so irritating to listen to that I turned the interview off.

June 4, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

I can't stop laughing – I thought it was just me who picked up on all the "you know" ....there were too many to count ....it became hard to watch.

June 5, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  70. BobTbuilder

Michelle is finally to show some miles on her. Especially in an upcoming movie release June 29 "People like Us". She looks older than 54. -BTB

June 4, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |