May 31st, 2012

Martin Short on Kathie Lee gaffe: People make mistakes

Martin Short reacted to Kathie Lee Gifford's embarrassing questioning about his deceased wife with admirable class on the "Today" show Wednesday, and he hasn't changed his stance.

The "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" actor stopped by to chat with "Today" hosts Gifford and Hoda Kotb when Gifford began asking about Short's wife, who died two years ago.

"You and Nancy have one of the greatest marriages in show business," Gifford began. "How many years now for you guys?"

Short tried to drop a hint by saying, "We, uh, married for 36 years," but Gifford continued, saying they were still in love ("madly," Short said), and asking why.

Gifford apologized via Twitter Wednesday, writing, "I send my sincerest apologies to @MartinShort and his family. He handled situation w/enormous grace and kindness and I'm so grateful."

Short didn't change his position on Thursday when asked about the incident.

"I think it's live television and people make mistakes and there's no ill will intended," he told E!. "And I think it's nice to aspire to be that way."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Nike Sko

Dame 2012 Nike Free Trainer, Billige Kvinder Dame 2012 Nike Free Trainer Salg, Great Price, Kampe Rabat, gode anmeldelser, hoj kvalitet, sikker levering, intet salg Skat og betaling med kreditkort.
    Nike Sko http://www.vnikefree.com/

November 18, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Clyde M

Martin Short is a super classy man, both with the way he handled it in the moment and after the fact, and with the answers that he gave, still being "madly" in love with his deceased wife. This is what a role model should be.

June 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Allyson

An apology via Twitter? Technology is becoming the downfall of courtesy of the human race. Tell me how sincere is an apology sent out via 4G made up of short hand and acronyms? I sure hope she actually called him to apologize

June 29, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CP

Yes, Martin Short handled it very well, but maybe it Kathie Lee would drink less alcohol, her brain cells would work better...

June 25, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Frank

Martin Short is a class guy. I guess I didn't know that, but I do now.

June 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CarmenSo

People make mistakes. She wasn't being malicious and she apologized for her error. No harm no foul. Martin Short handled the situation beautifully. I wish the rest of the world was as understanding and forgiving.

June 20, 2012 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
    • MikeB

Had he told Kathy Lee that his wife was deceased, her follow-up question would have been, "So, are you dating?"

June 21, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. Alex

Gifford not knowing that Martin Short is a widower only highlights the insincerity of her admiration. How can you admire someone's relationship and not know that one of them passed away? Yes, Martin Short handled it with supreme grace...I have never considered Gifford credible (she is the epitome of a talking head) and it is unfortunate that her incompetance should be highlighted by way of such painful and insensitive references about her guest's beloved.

June 19, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • carol

I totally agree. Mr. Short displayed incredible grace. As part of her job, Gifford should know the recent events in a guests life to avoid such stupid comments. She looked like a complete idiot. While we all make mistakes, most of us are not in front of a camera.

June 20, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • nancyd

Alex, I couldn't have said it better if I had written it myself. I know a lot of people think Kathie Lee is charming but I find her to be very self serving and this interview only shows how insincere she really is.

June 28, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. VjM

Concerning Kathie Lee, Has anyone else noticed, She just doesn't fit in anywhere on NBC's programs? It seems she's bounced around from show to show while never landing anywhere for very long. I suspect there are far too many accurances like the Martin Short Interview.

June 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

While I am certainly no fan of Kathie Lee, her longevity isn't as bad as you make it out to be, especially in the world of television. She was co-host of Live with Regis and Kathie Lee (previously The Morning Show on WABC-TV in NYC) for 15 years (85-00) and is now entering her 4th year on Today. By current standards, that's pretty impressive.

June 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. danny

I can not believe anyone was watching since it was NBC. NBC is so slanted to the left on their views that it is just surprising that they are still on the air.

June 14, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • VJM

NBC is slanted to the right, they are not slanted to the left.

June 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen Ray Kutos

Danny, Maybe you should get over yourself and go back to watching FOX News' "fair and balanced" reporting. I'm surprised that there aren't nay posts suggesting that Obama was responsible for Kathy Lee's gaff. Yes Mr. Short is a classy fellow, but most Canadians are classy. It's a national trait. Are you listening America.

June 24, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. will

Funny how people act like its a relatively minor thing. I just think its inexcusable to have done some basic background stuff on someone before you interview them on tv. Heck the wikipedia bio on martin short notes his wife is deceased.

So for those that say its a tv gotcha ratings type moment I think you are right. The only other explanation is pure incompetence which is hard to believe.

June 14, 2012 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. vj

This guy has got to be the classiest guy I've ever seen. I knew he was funny, but what a gentleman.

June 4, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TampaMel

This is like a scripted F Bomb. I think she and everyone knew and didn't care, it is all about ratings. If you look at the article and all the comments (including mine) you see all the free advertising for the Today show. Another TV 'GOTCHA' moment.

June 4, 2012 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  13. Viviane

No excuse – it's important to know as much about your guests before the come on, ESPECIALLY there relationship status!! You should not be finding out about your guests deceased wife during an interview. Bad, bad, bad.

June 3, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Red Pison

Idiot should have done her research, Martin handled it like a pro though.

June 3, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. KellyK

Kathie did nothing wrong. She didn't know Martin's wife had died. Her staff dropped the ball. Martin was very nice in how he handled it, but I 'm not sure why he just didn't let her know the truth. Like, "Oh thank your for you beautiful sentiments, but you obviously didn't know that my wonderful wife passed a couple years ago. But, yes, we did have a terrific life together, I'm grateful for the years we had together, and I miss her very much." ;) In other words, just slip in the correction and sandwich around answering the questions.

June 3, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
    • GC

Well, my goodness! You've got it all figured out. You should be Martin Short's speechwriter.

June 3, 2012 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
    • rayx

Kelly, You remind me of my mother (now deceased) who anytime she asked me to make a phone call for her couldn't help telling me exactly what to say word for word. She could never understand why I called her "controlling"

June 24, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  16. mz

I totally agree with KC who posted at 9:43

Why is everyone make such a big deal. A embarrassing moment for Katie Lee. Where has journalism gone - are we going to invent something so they can sell more magazines??? I hope not as that is just ugly.

Yes the two are class act, and we all hope it just blows over. Have a nice day Kathy and Martin and this marginal journalism will blow over real soon.

June 3, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jennifer

A little research would have prevented this from happening. I'm sorry but this is really unacceptable. This is not the first time she has done this.

June 2, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • PatS

Wow, some of you people need to really chill out. Jeez, she made an honest mistake. She didn't know! Period. And she obviously had great admiration for the Shorts as a couple. And stop all the nonsense about her not doing her research. SHE doen't do the research for her interviews; her staff does. Just like with all the other morning show people who do interviews. Do you actually think she did it on purpose so she could hurt Martin Short? I'm not a huge fan of hers, but her comments and intentions were very sweet.

June 3, 2012 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  18. td

I I guess if all the people who are complaining about KL's MISTAKE, were as classy as Martin Short there would be no discussion. It is a sad showing of how our world is now that a mistaken question can bring on such hateful trash talk. Trash talkers YOU need to get a life, is your record clean? You have never made a mistake?

June 2, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • PCF

Are you kidding me...Yet another black eye for Kathie Lee as she continues to show her stupidity and ignorance on National TV, and for the TODAY SHOW and NBC to let it continue! Yes, people do make mistakes, but this one is totally unexcuseable! She is paid allot of money to know ALL the details about whatever issue she is speaking on, or making remarks to, especially sensitive issues like this. A man like Marting Short, who loved his wife dearly for many years, should have never been placed in that situation. I can only aspire to attain this man's core values as a kind and forgiving human being. Shame on you Kathie.

June 3, 2012 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  19. mcw2112

It was clear from watching the clip that KLG's moronic co-host had no clue either. Don't these people get even a cursory bio on people that they interview? Yes, we all make mistakes, but this was just pathetic and showed a lack of genuine interest in doing the job right. I don't care what anyone says, this is a nationally televised show and there is no excuse for this kind of gaff. You can bet your bottom dollar that there is a well paid staff behind the scenes and they all dropped the ball! Martin handled the situation with dignity but was probably hurting underneath it all.

June 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Casey

What I find odd is that Kathie Lee didn't seem all that embarrassed after she realized what she did. And to add insult to injury she sent a very scripted apology to the WRONG to person. It all seems a little too contrived. I adore Martin Short and I also like Kathie Lee a lot...but this just seemed out of character for her. Could she be jealous of the chemistry he has with Kelly Ripa??

June 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. J

Cheers to Martin for the way he handled Kathie Lee GAFFord. You can point fingers all day.. and the audience usually does like some Monday morning quarterback that pretends we could do a better job, but all you can do is feel sorry for all involved. The situation speaks volumes for how we go through the motions of projecting fake interest/caring about one another. Here you have Kathie Lee trying to feign ineterest in a marriage she clearly knows nothing about, but for the audience's "feel good factor", she mentions a tidbit of info she believes an unwitting bunch with nothing else to do at 10 am will want to know....opps...well, y'all, if you want someone like her off the air, STOP WATCHING! Ratings will fall low enough to have the brainiacs at NBC switch to deKatthie-nated.

June 2, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. tom

Have always liked and admired Martin Short for his comedy and acting chops (Damages) but what a classy guy he is as well. At the same time I have never liked, respected KLG for ANYTHING and wouldn't watch Regis when she was on...just an OBNOXIOUS self-absorbed woman....see not much has changed....except now she's added stupid to her miniscule resume'. Get this old hag off the air.

June 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

She is a waste of a TV "personality"... even the apology seemed generic and ill conceived... Shame on you

June 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Shandra

KLG must have some incriminating and damning info on some big wig exec at NBC. How else would that moronic harpy have a tv job?!

June 2, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  24. sam martin

What happen to the day when the staff would do a back ground check on the person being interviewed making sure with any question asked it would be appropriate, all they would have to do is either speak to their manager or go on line to find out this information these days it is not that difficult It's called being a professional.

June 2, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • david

now i know why jay leno said " there's two names you never name your children, "hitler and kathy lee"

June 2, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Pat

Surely a talk show host would have a least a basic fact sheet about guests to read over. Any normal person who read it would easily remember that type of tragedy happening to a person. While everyone makes mistakes, this one is hers and hers alone. I quit watching their segment of the show right after it came on because all it seemed to be about was Hoda and Kathie Lee drinking and eating. Martin Short did handle the situation with much more grace than I would have, I would not have given her a pass.

June 2, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Noahkay

@Pat.. why shouldn't Martin Short have "given her a pass"?? It was no big deal at all. She didn't know and she was being very kind. Wow, you're so easy to judge and insult. You must get angry at people very easily. What if it was a friend or relative of yours that had been conducting the interview. Would you have raged at them, too? Or would you have said, "Aw, don't worry about it. You meant well and obviously meant only good things"? ;)

June 3, 2012 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  26. Sam Passafiume Jr

We are talking national television and one of the most professional networks. Clearly the staff and Gifford dint do there home work eneough to relize his wife passed away 2 ears ago. It was national news. She added a question just to add time to the interview because she had no back up. STUPID!!!! Tyical pretty face instead of a journalist handling interviews. Thats why mistakes are made like this. Martin Short is a class act and handled with grace and dignity. HATS OFF MARTIN!

June 2, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  27. Intruudir

II think I just became a Martin Short fan......He is a class act.

June 2, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  28. SK

Are you kidding me??! KLG is a DUMB @$$! She makes too much $$ and should never disrespect her guests by not knowing the facts around who she is interviewing. She should be FIRED! I can't believe Martin Short didn't go off on her, but he had too much dignity to insult his wife's memory.

June 2, 2012 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Anna

I thought we got rid of her when she left the morning show with Regis, but she is back!

June 2, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott Strohkirch

Kathie Lee GIfford is above al the worst interviewer and also the biggest Diva. To use Twitter as your means of apologizing for not being professional enough to know the facts shows why Regis let you go and took on Kelly Ripa. The Today show would do well to let her go, give her whatever severalnce she has coming and never have anything to do with her again. I only feel sorry for Frank who is still married to her.

June 2, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. lael

Please! It was obvious that no offense was intended. As if Martin Short would have disrupted the entire segment by taking Kathie Lee to task about her ignorance regarding the death of his wife. The way it was handled is the way decent people interact with each other. With kindness and respect.

June 2, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Loo

I agree. Anyone can make a mistake and how awful to make it on live tv infront of millions. Martin Short handled it very well...class and dignity. I'm sure Kathie Lee is punishing herself more than anyone else ever could. I'm a teacher and I recently gave a mothers day project to a girl whose mother had passed away 7 years ago. I had forgotten. She got horribly upset and I was devastated. It still makes me sick to my stomach but it was an honest mistake.

June 2, 2012 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  30. Marilyn

I wonder why he didn't correct her, that was kind of creepy. I think she is an airhead and can't believe she is still on TV.

June 1, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  31. hope

Its a tough business.. not possible to keep up.. Cut her some slacks.

June 1, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

Cut her some slack. Not slacks. Slacks is a slang word for pants or trowers.

June 15, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

Cut her some slack. Not slacks. Slacks is a slang word for pants or trowsers.

June 15, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  32. EP FROM THE EC

Wow. What a careless moron! Martin Short is truly a class act for rolling with it til they were off air. Kathy Lee...proving what kind of host she is,over and over. Surprised she didn't ask about his new movie Clifford! She's such an embarrassment

June 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  33. edkaqb

Mr. Short taught all of us what human dignity and integrity is...for his late wife, for himself, for everyone who has lost a loved one...and for all of us who have errored and needed to be forgiven

June 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • betty

I've always liked him as an actor. Now to see him as a person makes me respect him much more. My respect and deepest sympathies to him and his family but may I say, WHAT A GENTLEMAN he is!!

June 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  34. jen

This goes to show that you don't always have to be angry and vindictive against others out of embarrassment. It took a lot of courage for Mr Short to handle the situation the way he did. Most people would've turned it into a big deal on live tv. Look at what it has become already.

June 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. marymongo

Kathy lee is SO STUPID!! Is today her first day? Uh, no–she's been in the business long enough to know she should do SOME research beforehand, what an A$$!

June 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justified 808

That's why the show she was on in now called Live with Kelly and not Dead with Kathie Lee...

June 1, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. lori

Another reason I don't like this fake stupid woman.....how do people like her get to be famous??? She is pathetic...

June 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  37. curt

He's a classy guy, and maybe Kathy Lee should stop drinking during the show now! I've only seen it a few times and the two women on there were drinking both times.

June 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  38. David

How stupid to not know. I guess, they blame their staff. I am sure someone got fired.

June 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Melissa

I understand people make mistakes and all that but the thing is, this isn't the first time Kathie Lee has made a mistake on air when interviewing someone. Sorry but either she needs to learn how to do research when a guest is coming on or find something else to do. Preferably away from a camera.

I will say though my admiration of Martin Short has just skyrocketed. He has handled this whole thing with such grace and classiness.

June 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carolan

Kathie Lee Gifford has ALWAYS been way less than brilliant (read dumb). I stopped watching her years ago and I don't understand why a network keeps her on air at all!

June 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Lillian

Perhaps she should have done her homework but that's okay. He handled it so beautifully and she did not disgrace him at all. In fact, I think it keeps her memory alive. And it looks like there was love in this marriage.

June 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  41. HAL9000

Martin Short is one of the nicest people you could ever met and a truly classy gentleman. God bless him!

June 1, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  42. thinquer

Martin Short: Simply a great man.

June 1, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Tobesograteful

May GOD Bless Martin Short for not taking it personally, " to error is human, to forgive, divine." It was also classy that Kathie Lee apologized, not just to Mr. Short but also to the audience and was more than willing to admit her mistake. I know that there were times when I was tempted to ask about someone who had passed away when the reality hit me and didn't at the last minute. We are all human–may GOD forgive us all.

June 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Crissy

If she had put down her wine glass and done her research, she wouldn't be embarrassed. Why is she on tv?

June 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Michael

Martin Short is a class act. I think this will help reporters in the future. Always do your homework.

June 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Linda

What Kathie Lee did was without question embarrasing to the public, herself and above all, Martin Short. She gets paid a substantial amount of money to research and prepare herself, not to make mistakes of this magnitude. Martin Short handled this gaffe with grace and dignity, but to anyone who really noticed his facial expression when she babbled on about his wife, he was in disbelief and evidently brought grief to him after only losing his wife last year. Shame on Kathie Lee! Shame on Martin Short for letting her get by with this kind of disgrace that affected many people in a negative manner. If Kathie Lee was called on the carpet, perhaps she would be more prepared next time. Of course, in my opinion, I'm wondering if there should be a next time for her. She has always spoken a little too much about a lot of things that would have been better left unsaid.

June 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Shame on Martin Short? He handled it beautifully. I'd like to know how he should have handled it? And who are the people it affected besides him? It's his business. He handled it graciously. That being said, the onus is upon the TV bigwigs to make sure it doesn't happen again. I do think Gifford should be fired. But she won't be. And she probably learned nothing from this.

June 1, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicki

First you say Martin Short handled this with grace then you say shame on him because of all the people it negatively affected? I would write a long post trying to explain how wrong that comment is but if you are that obtuse it would fall on deaf ears.
      Kudos to Martin Short for his handling of the affair, especially since it must have been very painful.

June 1, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suzy

Uh Linda, All the reports I have read, including to the one you just commented on, say that his wife died 2 years ago in 2010. I guess making comments without doing research can happen to anyone......

June 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  47. penny

For goodness sake, she made a mistake. And the great news is: she apologized for it. Martin Short was a class act, and still considers himself married, which was very touching and sweet. How nice that two people can apologize and forgive. I'm sure you haters have never erred, and gee, it's a good thing if you think forgiveness is so stupid!

June 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Celina

I think see needs to lay off the bottle and go to an AA meeting. She is denial she is a drunk and can't function at her job.

June 1, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mimi

I'm sure Kathie felt terrible for making the mistake...it should not have been blown out of proportion as it has been by the news media. If the media doesn't particularly like someone they rip them apart and try to destroy them.

June 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  50. JackieC

II just witnessed an interaction between two of the classiest people in Hollywood. He showed extreme grace as he answered the awkward question. She responded with a sincere apology. That is how you handle a situation with grace and compassion. People make mistakes. Own them and move on.

June 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alpha Centuri

I truly wish that more Americans had class like these people, truly.. We've turned in a country of people with little to no manners!!

June 1, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • janet

well said jackie, if people could only learn from this, and not be so quick to judge others, it would be a world we could all be proud to live in.

June 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  51. y

I suppose i never realized what a hateful nation of people we really are... hmmm?

June 1, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Belle

KLG will voice her LOUD MOUTHED opinion without hesitation and give her two cents worth. How many times is it now that she has put her foot in her mouth?? I think the show ran SO MUCH BETTER when Hoda did it solo. The gaffer staff can not always be blamed for mistakes. KLG brags about how long she has been in the entertainment industry, she should have known about this transistion in Martin's life. I wish they would cart her off the show.

June 1, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • pamela

This is why drunks shouldn't pretend to be real reporters. Short was very kind as where I would have gone off having lost my child and spouse. GOD bless you Mr. Short. And Kathie " FIND A JOB" in which brains do not matter!!!

June 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

Belle...SHE is a LOUD MOUTH! Please check the cap lock on your keyboard!

June 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diva M.

I totally agree with Belle's remarks.

June 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  53. myles

Didnt she disappear a while ago ???? Why is she back???? I think he handled it quite well....I wonder what he was thinking at the time though ????

June 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Mason Mortimer

What a gracious, noble, STUD! My respect for him just went up 1000%.

June 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Martin Macdonald

Give the gal a break! She could have easily blamed the research staff who truly made the gaffe. She apologised and took the responsibility.

June 1, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Andrew B

Who preps this lady; she did the same thing to James Taylor during an interview. She told a whole story about his brother before asking how he was. James politely told her that he had passed 2 years prior. I'll give her one more chance before calling the guys with the butterfly nets and carting her off.

June 1, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malena

Yes, who does prep Kathy Lee she is chronically getting things wrong. Someone needs to real her in.

June 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  57. gpp

Alex Taylor died.

June 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  58. bill

All you people looking for something to complain about. Get a life. Twitter may have been the most expediant forum for the apology. STOP looking for the bad in life. Be happy.

June 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  59. johndanger

Martin Short, you are one classy guy. Bless your heart.

June 1, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Quit The Hate

This just shows what a difference there between a real man versus all these posers posturing and looking for something to fight over. I would have LMAO if Martin Short would have got up in Kathy Lee's face and started getting all loud, but that's not the kind of person he is. He knew she didn't do it on purpose so there was no need to publicly embarrass her. He is talented, compassionate, intelligent and a real gentleman. Those reality show wannabees should learn something from this man.

June 1, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  61. .•|•.

Wow, how big of her to twitter an apology. (Yes, said w/sarcasm)

June 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sunny Ca

I saw this interview and was a little uncomfortable for Martin. BUT, what a class act. He handled it with grace and profesionalism, which makes me love Martin Short all the more! And, yes, Kathie Lee apologized via Twitter, however, she also apologized in the very next segment of the show after Martin had pulled her aside to fill her in. I think she handled the awkard situation as best as it could have been handled on live tv. But I guess if you're a Kathie Lee hater, you're going to contiinue to drag her down.

June 1, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jean

I think this was an honest mistake, and her production and support people should learn from this-research the guests before putting the guest and the host in this spot again. My husband died last year and I still run into people he knew who were not aware of his passing. Not everyone puts everything on facebook, tweets, whatever. I feel terribly bad for the people asking me about him, because I know they are hearing of his death for the first time, and I remember how badly I felt at that time. Martin Short is a class act, handling this so well. I only hope to be as composed as he is in another year.

June 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  63. ISG

This is what happens when companies think they can do without their researchers and librarians. We're the ones that do this kind of research.

June 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Mike from Calgary

Martin Short (see him on Canada's Got Talent) is the epitome of class and good humour at all times. A great ambassador for Canada and for his hometown of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Kathee Lee Gifford might now use the opportunity to spotlight Martin Short's efforts to bring attention to Ovarian Cancer and the Research to help early diagnosis and treatment and to join in the cause.

June 1, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jenny

Forget Twitter. How about apologizing to Mr. Short in person and sending him some flowers?

June 1, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • StormyMonday

I agree Jenny...why not inperson? A Twitter apology is so cowardly...

June 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  66. cd

I saw Kathy Lee make the same mistake years ago on "Regis and Kathy Lee." James Taylor was a guest and she asked him how his brother Livingston was. He had to awkardly tell her that Livingston had passed away. People do make mistakes and hopefully learn from their mistakes. After all the publicity this time around I am betting she will be more careful.

June 1, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Livingston Taylor is not dead. Make your own apology know it all.

June 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derek

Alex Taylor is the brother that died in 1993. Alex Taylor had two sons, Edward and James. His older son Edward was adopted; his second son James, is the namesake of Alex's brother James, and inspired his uncle's 1970 hit "Sweet Baby James." Alex Taylor suffered a heart attack on March 7, 1993, in Sanford, Florida, while recording a third album at King Snake Records Studio. He died without regaining consciousness on March 12, 1993, age 46. He was survived by his wife Brent B. Taylor, then age 46, of West Tisbury, his two sons, and granddaughters Caroline, Anna Kate, Paige, and Claudia.

June 2, 2012 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  67. BL

Martin Short is a class act!

June 1, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  68. dan

i miss ed grimley

June 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  69. S

How stupid of her. She obvious doesn't research her guests. She's always been a dumb a&( if you ask me. Get her off television.

June 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB

Her source was probably "Yahoo" I never knew this either . Love Martin Short !

June 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michele

It is the producer's responsibility to research guests and inform the hosts. Martin Short handled the situation with grace and class; he is to be commended. He has forgiven Kathie Lee - not that there was anything to be "forgiven" anyway. It was a mistake, not an intentional act. I'll bet she'll research her own guests from now on, but the onus is on the producers, not the hosts, especially if there is sensitive information that the hosts might not know about. The death of his wife wasn't publicized much, if at all.

June 1, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe from CT, not Lieberman

The few times I have seen her and Hoda on TV, they always appeared to have glasses of wine in front of them. She was probably half in the bag when she did this interview. I can see why Regis graciously declined her invitation to stay on "Live" until Kelly Ripa was able to start.

June 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bradley

Maybe she should cut back on the wine, and instead research her guests a little

June 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • ep

I agreee totally. She has served her time.....maybe KathiLee & Regis could hookup again in the Catskills.....UGH

June 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Rebbeca

Lee and Huda have to be the two biggest idiots on TV! The worse hosts ever and annoying to boot!

June 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  71. gpp

Then, just like Donald Trump, she said "feel badly". Does that mean her fingers don't work too well anymore?

June 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Raiders4life

wow it's been 2 years and she still didnt know it show how much she cares Martin Short is great i love him he still can crack me up :) god bless him

June 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Ann

OH PLEASE......Obama is killing our economy but this is what makes the news!!

June 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rebbeca

yes this is news in the "Entertainment" section nimrod!

June 1, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • karen

oh shut up

June 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • wdg

duh..its the entertainment section!! if you want news on the economy,why dont you click on the appropriate section..

June 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marguerite

If you are thinking about Obama in everything you read and/or do, something is either wrong with you or you just need to get a life. Seriously! What does he have to do with Gifford messing up an interview with Martin Short, asking about his deceased wife? Get a life!

June 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hitler's Beast

No, you stupid Americans spending what you don't have and buying what you don't need are the reason your economy sucks! You typical American idiot, blaming your president for things that you the consumer control.

June 1, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  74. sw

its good to see one person in show business with class.

June 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  75. robin

My husband and I were married for 38 years before his death. I understand when Martin Short says that he still has a great marriage. For those of us who are fortunate to have a long and happy marriage, the memory is always with us.

June 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  76. MCO

Martin Short is a classy guy. Kathie Lee, although CLEARLY out of the loop and out of her depth, made an honest mistake. How many times have you asked someone about their significant other only to be told that they were dead or had broken up? Leave the poor girl alone, she's already feeling bad enough for making a fool of herself on national TV. Next time she'll be better prepared. (I hope!)

June 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anne

I did that once. I saw an old neighbour of mine and asked how was his son, saying I hadn't seen him for awhile (which is unusual since I live in a really small country). As soon as I got the last part out about not seeing the son in awhile, I instantly remembered that his son had died in a car accident a few years before, but the words were already out. His face had crumpled a bit and I just touched his arm before he could reply and apologized, saying that I had forgotten that he was gone for that split second. He said he understood because he had picked up the phone himself a few times to call his son before remembering that he was gone.

As for Kathie Lee, I think that's a bit different. If you're going to interview someone, at least do proper research! She is just so self-centred that she doesn't have much room to take much interest in anyone else. She probably did the most basic search and saw how long he had been married and focused on that without going any further. Both she and Hoba annoy the hell out of me...how the hell are these two still on television? I hope Kathie Lee got pulled on the carpet and chewed out for causing embarrassment to the show.

June 1, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • jake

@ MCO, who said, "Kathy Lee...made an honest mistake. How many times have you asked someone about their significant other only to be told that they were dead or had broken up? "

A veritable point, while missing one minor point. SHE's A NEWS COMMENTATOR AND ENTERTAINMENT INTERVIEWER!!! ,,,and MARTIN SHORT IS NOT AN OLD HIGH SCHOOL CRONY THAT SHE HASN"T SEEN IN 40 YEARS!!!

Rule #1 of Show Biz... DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE you go on the air. First off, if she's IN the business...you'd be hard pressed to figure an excuse big enough to explain why she HADN't heard about it in 2 years...and SECONDLY..., if she's IN the business... you GET YOUR FACTS before you open your mouth.

Otherwise, your hugely absurd gaffe will be recorded for time immemorial....

June 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Honest Alice

If the gaffe came from a more respected and higher profile celebrity, say Oprah or Ellen (they wouldn't but what if) then most would come to their defense as having bad PR people and blame someone else. But since it is KL and she is a polarizing figure in the world of 'entertainment' then everyone has a field day with her. She made a mistake, albeit a boneheaded one, but a mistake nonetheless. We are all human and we all make mistakes. The fact that Martin Short acted with grace and class speaks volumes for the minions of trolls on the internet who conveniently hide behind computer monitors to spew their hate. I am not a KL fan, but I wish her no ill will for a mistake that will most likely haunt her for a long time, until the next time she puts her foot in her mouth. We used to be an understanding society, but no more. We are more divided than ever, with many feeling nothing for their fellow human beings but ill will. Very sad state of society we are in now. We should all take a cue from Martin Short how to live our lives as humbly and tastefully as possible.

June 1, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • carolyn kull

Martin Short-upstanding. You guys who say forgive a mistake are nuts. She could not do her own homework which would have taken two minutes prior to a taped interview. She is a waste of air.

June 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  78. st

she's an idiot & has been since the first day she was in front of a camera.....it's time to go home to Conneticut, kathy....for good

June 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Drobat

Gifford apologized via Twitter Wednesday. I think that says volumes...Short = classy, Gifford apologizes via twit

June 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • samptechs

...except that she apologized to the wrong Martin Short. Not sure how "classy" that is.

June 1, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • joannejones

if you ask me, she is a twit...how can you be so blind to not do research and plus the news was all over the headlines...she needs to retire ASAP

June 1, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  80. jamie

Im sorry but an interview "gaffe" would be to call him american rather than Canadian or mention a movie he was never in etc. This was pretty horrific, and furthers the drunken, clueless persona of Kathy Lee Gifford

June 1, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  81. Katie

How refreshing for someone to be gracious instead of snide, forgiving instead of condescending. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone remembered how to be civil? People make mistakes. That's how we learn. It's the learning that is important.

June 1, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  82. HAF1

When is this profession ever going to wake up and realize that Gifford does not belong in the media? How many mistakes is it going to take from her before the industry realizes she has no talent? Why must her conduct be so minimized and ignored?

June 1, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  83. GaPeacj

I so agree with the comments on doing her research! Good for Martin Short for being so gracious. I am very surprised that the reserach wasn't done by her or for her as this was quite a gaffe!

June 1, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  84. Dr. Obvious

Martin Short showed a great deal of class and respect; respect for his wife, himself and for KL. I wish that I were so gracious. Giving someone the benefit of a doubt, a little restraint, and a little consideration would be a good prescription for us all, and would probably change the world for the better.

June 1, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  85. Keksi

Martin should have responded back "Hey Kathy how long have you been pregnant".

June 1, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  86. lolarites

Marty, you are a great a guy as you are a performer. If Frank had been dead and someone would have made that mistake, Kathy would have never let them forget it.

June 1, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob'n Nob

What! Frank isn't dead! I thought he kicked the bucket a long time ago. Sorry my mistake.

June 1, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Diva M.

Lolarites, I agree with your statements. K L has always been a smart alec personality and now that she is in her late 50's, being a smart alec is no longer attractive, etc. She appears to be narcissitic as well as such a loud mouth. It was not even necessary for her to add the comment "how do you keep the love alive" even if his wife was still alive. Stupid question to ask any mature person after knowing they had been married over 30 years. K L is way too ditzy to the point of being boring.

June 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  87. SparkBunny

I've found that the people who actually watch those kinds of morning shows are about as vapid as the so-called hosts. I don't know that i've ever made it through an episode because i felt my brain cells crying out in pain as they were massacred. Much rather put tom and jerry on. Better social commentary than some idiotic person who makes me grieve for humanity. Martin Short would, in this case, be the epitomy of handling a situation with aplomb. Even if i don't particularly care for his work. And having such grace and dignity in a public situation is very different than on national television. You have to be really comfortable in front of a camera to deliver a response like that off the cuff and not embarass your "host".

June 1, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • adam

wow, you're smart!

June 1, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

Before you insult viewers of morning shows, you might consider that many "viewers" do not sit and watch them, but catch bits of them as they run after toddlers or help the elderly or ill. There may be an army of zombie viewers with low IQ's who hang on every word, but I suspect they are a tiny minority. Not everyone who is out of the paid workforce is stupid, and not everyone in it is bright.

June 1, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Lizzy

SparkBunny. I do agree that shows like that kill braincells. You, however, shouldn't speak. The grammar in your comment is terrible. If you are going to speak to idiocy, big words are not the be all and end all. Proofread your work, especially if you are going to be insulting someone else's intelligence.

June 1, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • spellcheck

epitome...oops! ;)

June 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • spellcheck

To SparkBunny,

epitomE ...oops! MISTAKE! ;-)

Guess your short accidental past exposure to those TV programs got some of your brain cells after all.

June 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  88. dirty Joe

Martin Short sets a great example.

Maybe I should move to Canada if that's how Canadians treat each other. It sure beat the bickering that goes on in the great USA!

June 1, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  89. Amigo

Martin Short's example is a breath of fresh air. What a class act. Forgiveness matters.

June 1, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  90. horseyak

There are children in Rwanda who know Martin Short's wife died several years ago. Kathie Lee is a cypher, but what else is new?

June 1, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  91. MB

Kristen Wiig is off of SNL now, and the current season is over, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

June 1, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  92. J.C.

Give Kathie lee a break. It's not like it's her job to actually do any research on the people she interviews.

"So Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

June 1, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  93. Jackblob

Bravo Martin Short. I had a similar experience when my wife died and I gently let the person know.

I'm wondering since Kristen Wiig regularly parodies Kathie Lee on SNL if they will do a skit of this gaffe. I'm hoping they don't. Not for Kathie Lee's sake but out of respect for Martin Short.

June 1, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Marshall

No, because SNL is off the air for the season and she left the cast anyway.

June 1, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  94. be quiet

Maybe she should actually do a little research before an interview (you know, her JOB) instead of tipping back the wine glass and earning the easiest, most underserved paycheck in the world.

June 1, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  95. northernstar

As lame as KathyLee is; it is common place for interviewers on live TV to go "off script" when interviewing someone they think they know. She obviously was impressed by their marriage (as Frank has been caught cheating on her) so she spoke glowingly about the Martin's marriage. She is not too bright; but in this case, she was trying to speak about a marriage she admired. Unfortunately she just missed the announcement about Martin's wife passing away. She did correct her mistake after they took a break. KathyLee gets a "pass" on this screwup. There will be another one.

June 1, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  96. Diane

She did the same thing to James Taylor once on Live with Regis and Kathy asking him about how his brother was doing and the guy had been dead for a year or so. IDIOT!!!

June 1, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Curonda Grimes-Wheelock Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I'm going through the same problem , I was involed in MVA early 2000 ,a on the job injury that to this day suffer in chronic pain . I have had 4 Lumbar surgery 2003 /2005 / 2006 /2007 ,Tumor on my Brain suffer with headache 3yr,
      removed 2008 , Another MVA 2007 injury left shoulder had Rototor Cufff surgery , Novenber 1, 2011 Cervical (neck) surgery . People should mind there BUSINESS, and LOVE one's need too also ( Husband /Wife ) when a spouse become ill it's like there Husband / Wife become single in the DARK. Martin Short I love the way U handle it !!!!!!!
      MY OWN MARRIAGE well 7yr.of dating , 13 yr. of marriage UP from the blink of death ( I OWE IT ALL TO GOD).

June 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  97. HG

I think Martin Short is a terrific entertainer. I think Kathie Lee is nothing but a twit. It was very unprofessional of her to be so unprepared. I don't like how she talks over that hoda, either. I've never been a fan, and avoid watching her. She's just an annoying woman.

June 1, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  98. Brad

How about saying it's a testament to the memory of their marriage that the love and longevity is what stands out to KLG, instead of the fact that she passed recently?

June 1, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  99. Saboth

"Grace" and "kindness". The vast majority of Americans are scratching their heads wondering what those words mean. "Ima get mine!" should be the national motto.

June 1, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  100. jimzcarz

That's what I call Grace..Thank you Martin for displaying it so well.
    \m/..(>,<)..\m/
    jimmy
    San Jose

June 1, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  101. derp

Gifford is dumber than a goats ball sack.

June 1, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • LK

How is not knowing that someone has died make you dumb?

June 1, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy Joe Jim Bob

Hey, Derp, perhaps if you removed your mouth from that sac, you'd be able to think more clearly.

June 1, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  102. Just-a-guy

Kathie Lee must have incriminating photos of Matt Laur with a panda bear. That is the only way tha I figure she can hang onto her job. She is certainly no journalist.

June 1, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  103. Lars Babaganoosh

Good to hear Short's wife is doing well.

June 1, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  104. fashionjunkiiee

Martin handled that like a gentleman. I honestly might have said something catty, and scratched her eyes out. Kathy Lees is SO unproffessional... HANG IT UP

June 1, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy Joe Jim Bob

So, Fashionjunkiieee, you recognize class, yet have none of your own...interesting.

June 1, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  105. kit8

All class Martin all class.

June 1, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  106. penguin

That's the problem with today's news- no one bothers to find out any facts before they spout off or they obtain "facts" from biased, unreliable sources (Fox News is the leader in reporting false information)

June 1, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  107. DAVID

I give my full support to Martin short this is exactly the way it should be ( forgiveness)

June 1, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  108. james

I'm sure her assistant was fired for not giving her all the information she needed not to look like a buffoon... This was a MAJOR tragedy in his recent life and if they would have even just Googled his name this would have come right up... the one good thing to come from this is the hours of new material SNL will have starring Kathie, not to mention the late night hosts.

June 1, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  109. poochiebaby

how about doing a bit of homework before an interview?

June 1, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  110. LostinSLC

Very good man to handle it the way he did. As for Kathie Lee, she needs to make sure her producer does a better job at research

June 1, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  111. poochiebaby

she remains to be an insufferable c***.

June 1, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  112. Jim

She also apologized on-air when they returned from a break. The article makes it sound like she relied on a Tweet to convey her regret. I agree, though, that Mr. Short handled it with dignity and continues to – but Ms. Gifford also handled it appropriately once she found out her mistake. See, politeness and grace still matter in this harsh world.

June 1, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • islander

Well said Jim! Yes, people do make mistakes and it takes a big person to admit when one has been made. However, the producer should be fired for that snafu. Martin Short – a CLASS ACT!

June 1, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Curonda Grimes-Wheelock Baton Rouge , Louisiana

Sometime words , statement hurt " good or bad ". I truely believe in Facts !!!!!

June 1, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  113. edwin

When an interviewer can't even be bothered to notice obvious details like a wife dying, that says really bad things about the interviewer's intelligence.

June 1, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  114. brad1001

KLG will have forgotten her gaffe by now, but she's still stuck with that terrible caterwauling singing voice. LOL

June 1, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  115. BD

A Canadian being polite? never.

June 1, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  116. GoldenRudy

What a class act!. I wish I would have such class to react in the same manner. Sadly, I think I would have automatically corrected Kathy and caused embarrassment to her. He did not. Good guy.

June 1, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  117. Marti

I was faced with either being demoted or taking a severance package when my former boss said I wasn't "focusing" when my mom died and I occasionally cried at my desk in the weeks following it, like any other human grieving. I took the package and at the meeting where I had to sign the confidentiality agreement not to say anything bad about the company, he asked me how she was doing since her heart surgery. Gotta let it go sometimes.

June 1, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  118. Mr. Obvious

Sad that Mr. Short's wife has passed away and Kathie Lee is still here.

June 1, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  119. Joe Sixpack

Class act.

June 1, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  120. Ed Grimley

OOPs... Ed Grimley

June 1, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  121. NotForYou

Mr. Short handled the situation with dignity and class. Something hollywood does not have much of any longer.

June 1, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  122. Lil Jett

Shows what a CLASSY man Mr. Short is and what a BUFFOON Kathie Lee is, and will always be. America truly is the land of opportunity. Where else can a no talent hack like Kathie "make it" in show business?

June 1, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  123. Mark

Doesn't speak well for the show's director, planners, etc. They should shoulder more of the blame for a gaffe like this than the "talking head". Real class by Short!

June 1, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Not really. Gifford tends to talk out of her ass 99% of the time, so the producers and other members of the staff, knowing that she could say anything at any time, still could not have prognosticated that she would talk about his dead wife.

June 1, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  124. Geoff

classy guy from Hamilton!!!

June 1, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  125. Coffee

What a classy guy – Kathie Lee wasn't cool!

June 1, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Reason & Logic

I saw Martin Short's act a few years ago and he is a genuinely nice person. It's no surprise that he handled Kathie Lee Gifford's comments with much class and dignity.

June 1, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • dnokc

I have been in Mr. Short's position. I'm certain Kathy's slip was unintentional. I encountered a few myself. It's an incredibly awkward moment which Mr. Short handled in a first class manner.

June 1, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  126. Rika33

Short has class. Unfortunately for the program – it shows its staff is not any better than those doing "hard" news – they share the same lack of attention to detail.

June 1, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  127. js

Mr. Short showed dignity and maturity. He realized people make mistakes and handled it admirally. Not many people people would have handled it this way. Wow! some people and actors can still be human beings after all.

June 1, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  128. captjack

Martin Short is nothing but a Class act ! He is a funny and wonderful person who I so deeply feel sorry for since his wife has passed ! They withstood the test of Hollywood marriage and passed with flying colors,My heart goes out to him and a slap in the face for the Show and Host who should be briefed before they open up they're yappers !!!

June 1, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  129. Bb

Wouldn't you think Kathie Lee herself would research who she is interviewing. Time for her to retire into the sunset and stay there...

June 1, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Aimee

wow that was really unprofessional of her. I hope she was appropriately mortified when she realized her mistake. I agree she should have researched the tiniest bit. Very gracious of Martin Short.

June 1, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  130. spunkmunky

How long till she comes back as a zombie and eats Kathys face?

June 1, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  131. SmagBoy1

So, listen, I'm not trying to take anything away from Martin Short, but, is this all that's required to be called a "true gentleman" and "full of class" and to have things said about him like "I never liked him, but now I think he's the greatest guy ever, for always" and all of the other hyperbole in the comments section here? Damn, the bar's set pretty low if that's the case. Forgive me for what may seem like I'm an "evil devil" and "the rudest, most classless commenter ever" or something like that, but, someone who interviews people she barely knows made a mistake, trying to go from memory, and botched it. It's not like she killed Short's wife and waved her still beating heart in his face and he forgave her and offered her a moist towel to clean up with. She made a mistake, he glossed it over, life's good. While I think it was decent of him (and it was), let's not break out the scepter and call for a knighting ceremony just yet, shall we?

June 1, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • madmaninthemiddle

You not only make a good point, your vivid imagery made me laugh out load. Thanks

June 1, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Aimee

It was gracious of him to respond the way he did. And it was unprofessional of her to not do the slightest bit of research before the interview. Not like it was a last minute decision to interview. There are production assistants and associate producers who do the research on tv and clearly this wasn't done. She is used to doing live television and she didn't pick up on "we WERE married for 36 years. Martin Short's response doesn't make him any better of a person; it just shows who he really is apart from the characters he plays.

June 1, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • kingkong

why don't you and smagboy spare us and go get a room....

June 1, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Amused1944

Americans are suffering from a lack of civility... so much so that when someone shows some, people like you are confused.

June 1, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Mfr

Exactly

June 1, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • pinresume

What a sad cynical point of view.

June 1, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • +1 to SmagBoy1

Well said, SmagBoy1. Might have left out the thing about waving the still beating heart, but still, well put. Martin Short showed good manners and the grace not to show up his host. It is something that happens to all of us – a person forgets your name, asks about a former spouse or boyfriend not knowing about the divorce or break-up, etc. In private you can politely correct the speaker in a way that minimizes embarassment; in front of an audience – of one other or in this case 1m others – you do what you can not to embarass your host. Short handled it well, perhaps better than most, and for that he deserves an atta boy, not canonization. I am not a KLG fan, but I can't understand killing her for this one, either. Even the "fluff" morning hosts do multiple interviews every day of the week and work pretty hard to make it look easy. My guess is she went for some added color based on a personal memory of Short and his wife – all to make her guest look good, by the way – and flubbed it. When two people interact, this stuff happens.

June 1, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  132. Bill

Martin Short is a nobel man and he has a very kind heart. He is right we all make mistakes and we try to do the best we can. I have always enjoyed him as an actor and I always will. Well done sir,well done indeed.

June 1, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  133. CJH

Martin Short is a classy guy, I must say!

June 1, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  134. Mark N

Give me a "C" a bouncy "C"....Irving Cohen

June 1, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Winston5

"...dot, dot, dot, dee, dee, dee and whatever the hel1 else you wanna throw in there!" (great ref, dude!)

June 1, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  135. Becky

Don't interviewers normally have someone who does the research for them on celebrities? I'm not a fan of KLG, but as he said, people make mistakes. This too shall pass.

June 1, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  136. HE'S A CLASS ACT

WHAT "HE'S A CLASS ACT" SAID !!!!!

June 1, 2012 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  137. Prime Minister of Canada

Such a polite Canadian! Great to see you back old friend.

June 1, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  138. Rick

Like when Obama was elected President.

June 1, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Interested48

Seriously, you Obama haters need to take a break. We're talking about a very nice man here who lost his wife and you have to bring politics into it. This obsessive hatred of the president worries the rest of us. Please seek help! And the sooner the better.

June 1, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Mom

That's what i told your dad about you.

June 1, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

Go back to the trailer park, boy.

June 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Kevin L

Martin Short demonstrated a nobility that we rarely see in public figures today. He proved, for years, that he was an accomplished comedian. I had no idea he was also an accomplished Gentleman. Kudos Mr. Short.

June 1, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  140. Joe

I have never been a fan of Martin Short. And I have always felt that Kathie Lee was just a phoney. Well, this incident has raised my opinion of Mr. Short and confirmed that Kathie Lee is just some phoney yenta. She goes on and on acting as if she is so knowledgeable about Shorts life and marriage only to find out she don't know squat.
    Martin Short, you are a class act and I wish you all the best.

June 1, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  141. Lola

Martin- You handled that with grace, class and style. Thank you for being a lead example of all of those qualities we all have some how forgotten.

June 1, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  142. george

Martin Short just raised the bar on "class"! I enjoyed his work but now I admire him as the fine person he revealed himself to be.

June 1, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  143. Mike

Mistakes like this happen to everyone at one time or another. I think Martin Short was a perfect gentlemen about it and I believe that Kathie Lee was a good host and a true lady. I think they are both examples of good behavior in akward situations, we could definitely stand to learn from their examples.

June 1, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  144. LeighVA

Martin Short has more class stored up in his little pinkie than the rest of the numerous, collective goons out there with their malicious comments (heaping it on Gifford for her mistake) have in their own entire bodies. I always did like him, and even more so now. Bless his heart. May his dear wife be at peace ~ 36 years is such a long time to have known and loved someone. Very sad for his loss.

June 1, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  145. Charles -- Champion of all things everywhere and then some

Was this screw-up before or AFTER Kathie Lee and Hoeda has their daily drinks?

(But, let's face it - this was a pretty minor offense.)

June 1, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Howard

If it was that minor of an offense (and it was), then why did you have to post something mean and snarky about it?

June 1, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  146. Sunshine1167

Yes, Short is not making a big deal out of it. Why is the media?

June 1, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  147. shelley

I have enjoyed Martin Short's work, but was not obsessed with his life, and I would not have remembered that his wife died. It wasn't until this happened that I recalled it. She was not herself a globally well known person (other than the wife of Martin Short) It is unfortunate and of course a bit embarrassing for Kathie Lee but not the big deal that is being made of it.

June 1, 2012 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  148. mttrailboss

Martin Short.., a true gentleman. As for Kathy Lee.., Martin Short is right, we ALL make mistakes, even me. Mike in Montana

June 1, 2012 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Bubba™

"Martin Short is right, we ALL make mistakes, even me." I thought I made a mistake once, but when I checked, I was wrong.

June 1, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  149. shelly

Yes an awkward awkward gaffe. But things like that do happen. The staff who hand her all those cards and whatnot should probably have made note of that if indeed they include brief bio info. I mean how many people does she interview/talk to in a week, month, year? My sister died in her twenties (many years ago) and there are people who DID know that she died who I bump into after not seeing them for years, and they ask about her. I've done it (asking about a friend's deceased parent). So I think he is handling it just right, he understands, and everyone else should just let it go. If it had been Ellen DeGeneres or Anderson Cooper, people wouldn't be so rabid about it, people just like to rag on Kathie Lee!

June 1, 2012 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
    • mttrailboss

You hit the nail on the heads, an excellent observation and comment. Wish more people thought like you. Mike in Montana

June 1, 2012 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  150. jean scott

What a kind and gracious man, if more of us were like him the world would be a better place. Kudos Martin

June 1, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  151. Dave NY USA

People make mistakes
    Yeah, apparently so did NBC!

June 1, 2012 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  152. Dr. Michael Peters, Pastor

You honored your wife's memory by gracefully responding to someone that she would not have wanted embarrassed.

June 1, 2012 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  153. Tom

My wife passed so I have been in Martin's place, but not on national TV. He really held it together and make some great judgements about what to say to keep it all positive.

June 1, 2012 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  154. Rumbleguts

Failure to prepare is unforgivable. I certainly hope that someone's neck was stretched for that one. The reality is the hosts rarely know anything about their guests, and they react on what info they were given by their handlers. KLG should have caught their blunder, or at least familiarized herself enough to make light conversation. Cut to commercial etc. Obvious that nobody on the set other than Martin were aware. Such is the life of Showbiz personalities. So totally unplugged from real life and their lives revolve around the show. Sure glad to see guys like Letterman, Oprah and Leno have other interests that are NON work related to keep them grounded and real.

June 1, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Purnell Meagre

WHy would anyone expect KLG to be anything buyt a bubble brain?

June 1, 2012 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  155. packshack

What a great man

June 1, 2012 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  156. Laurence Ringo

Wow.I've not seen Mr.Short for a while,so I was pleasently surprised at his appearance on the show;he's always been one of my favorite funnymen.Frnkly,we all of us could take lessons from him in the seemingly lost art of class and grace;his gracious and compassionate handling of Kathie Lee's blunder was a wonder to behold!Kudos to him;the White House should hire him as a Senior Diplomat!!

June 1, 2012 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
    • John

I suspect that the White House would not put a Canadian into a diplomatic role.

June 1, 2012 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  157. Susan - Canada

I thinks it speaks a lot for the man that he was gracious and handled the situation well....but, I also think it's very sad when hosts are not prepared for an interview. I mean, seriously, she is in the entertainment industry...I am not and I knew his wife had passed away. I'm sure she is beyond embarassed....

May 31, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Richard Fore

Ill bet he was fu<king her after the show, that's why he forgave her, cause she gives great head.

May 31, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  159. JLR

he's Canadian and lives his life with class!

May 31, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Al Bundy

Maybe Romney should ask Gifford to be his running mate, just like McCain asked pailin. They both have the same mentality.

May 31, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  161. E

What an amazing individual – Martin Short. All of Hollywood could take note of someone who not only remained "in love" and faithful to his wife in life, but remained "madly" in love with her still in death.
    I hope he inspires many people.
    Such grace, such a beautiful soul.

May 31, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

You are one shameless hussy! Why don't you retire already, or are you going to continue your alzheimer's shannanigans forever???

June 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

You are one shameless hussy! It's about time you threw in the towel, back in your face!

June 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Loren

What a nice person. We should all be so generous.

May 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Jelly Bean

At least he was nice about it... He could have been SHORT with her! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! !

I'm such a d o u c h e ! ! !

**tee-hee!**

May 31, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  164. hmmm

If Martin Short can take the high road and be this forgiving of Kathie Lee, imagine what the rest of us could do... oh just a thought.

May 31, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • JC

Yup you got that right.

May 31, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • kc

Martin Short is a class act Kathie Lee is also a class act, if Martin forgives her why are all you people making such a big deal about it. I was never a big fan of Kathie Lee until she came on the today show. I am now a big fan and I know she feels heart broken about what is being said about her. She is a loving person God bless you Kathie Lee this should all blow over soon. God bless you Martin you are a class act I must say.

June 1, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |