Neil Young makes a movie
May 30th, 2012

Neil Young makes a movie

Neil Young's taking it old school to celebrate the upcoming release of some new music.

Young and Crazy Horse are set to release "Americana,"  a collection of American folk tunes, on June 5.  The songs, some of which were written as early as the 1800s, are meant to capture the spirit of the U.S.

And to add to the album's arrival, the singer has also released a short film.

Shot in a classic black-and-white style, the 40-minute movie features Young and artist Shepard Fairey, who was commissioned by Young to create a piece of artwork tied to each of the 11 songs on the album.

"Each of these compositions is very much part of the fabric of our American heritage; the roots of what we think of as 'Americana' in cultural terms, using songs as a way of passing along information and documenting our past," a press release about the album said.

Fairey's artwork is set to go on display at the Perry Rubinstein Gallery in Los Angeles.

The film is streaming now on NeilYoung.com.

1. Liebster Welpe

i like the part where banjo player hands dancing kid no more than 8 or 9 years old marijuana cigarette

June 1, 2012 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

a) didn't happen......
      b) no you don't your just snidely attacking someone you perceive as a "libtard"

June 1, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. WorldCares

Buffalo Springfield's album, "Retrospective" has always been a favorite; damn good album, CSN&Y , another favorite.
    Always liked Neil Young.
    You should do an interview on CNN.
    So many people would love to see and hear you, including me.

June 1, 2012 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. Randall

So is Justin Beiber, but please don't compare them.

June 1, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. stormy

lonestar obviously dropped is bass in the tub and got the common sense shocked out of him..although i will migrate to canada if b.o. gets 4 mo...

May 31, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cramps.

I made a short film once. Love me.

May 31, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tony

cortez cortez

May 31, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. evelyn2

Ummm, last I checked Canada was in America. North America.....

Rock on, Neil. You're the greatest!

May 31, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Andy

Neil is fantastic. I'm looking forward to this album with Crazy Horse. As a Canadian though, I have to be honest, I always find it weird when we try to claim Neil as a "Canadian" artist. Yes he was born in Ontario but he left for California in 1966 and has been living there for over 46 years. He's lived over 2/3rds of his life in America.

May 31, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Randall Jackson

I am from Toronto... I know Neil was back VERY often... Ask his brother's girl Terri about me... Sorry... Not a good subject. She was for me!

I too now live in California... It's all good... And we are all still Canadian to the core.

June 1, 2012 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bath Salts

Will he be playing "dueling banjos" while playing his harmonica or maybe "she'll be comin' 'round the mountain when she comes"
    Phish = Phail btw

May 31, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lonestar

Gotta' love good ol' Neil. That's quite a patriotic gesture, especially from a citizen of Canada. Great man, great songs. He's not the fanciest guitar player, but he can do more, emotionally, with one note than speed demons like Vai and Malmsteen can do with 100 (and in the same length of time, no less). I play guitar, and I'd rather play something soulful and meaningful like Neil Young's music, than show-off my ability to play scales. Southern Man is probably my all-time favorite, and I usually play it right after Sweet Home Alabama. For those not in the "know," the (late) members of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Young were mutual admirers, and friends, and wrote songs for each other, as well. Before Sweet Home was recorded, LS called Young, and asked him if it was ok to use the lyrics about him in their song. He thought they were great, and said Go Ahead. Sadly, many LS fans didn't get it that LS was anti-racist, and pro-Young. The slam on Young is for thinking all white Southerners were racist rednecks. LS guys were from Florida, and good-hearted souls. Sad to have lost them (even the ones who survived the plane crash have now died). Wish Neil could do something to help today's stars from killing themselves with heroin and cocaine. I bet he could. He gets things done. Who knows? He could even make a great President of the US (after Obama's 2nd term, of course)...well, if it weren't for the being a Canadian thing. Of course, if he ran, I bet most people wouldn't even question his birthplace (or citizenship..birther-birdbrains, I'm talking to you)..

May 31, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. David Martin

I love Neil Young, and have since the 60's. However, I find it strange that he has to do the definitive "Americana" album–he is, after all, from Canada(re: "Helpless")!

May 31, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  12. akinbowale

Reblogged this on BookRepublic.

May 31, 2012 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. PHISH PHAN

I AM FROM NJ and I get down with the best of em. I can shred my 6 string over heavy heavy riffs man. I CAN jam the huge chords so loud that the walls shake by my devastating solos note for note Ill own your face manm Come see Phish this Jul 4 for a display of rock n roll like no other.

come get some!

May 31, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Thatguy371

Phish eh? That the band with Chuck Norris on guitar? Used to like him. Realized, that in reality, he's kinda boring. Actually kind of embarrassed to admit I used to like his guitar work. I've grown. Thankfully.

June 1, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jersey

Neil Young has never sold out or failed to tell it like it is, regardless of what anybody else says or does. I think that honesty, in his Music & to his Fans is a BIG reason he is still a potent Musical Force. Of course, the fact the Man has, and continues to ROCK our socks off, is the biggest part of his Greatness !!! Thank You Neil & all the Best to You and Yours

May 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jan

This guy is a genius ! How cool to see him back with Crazy Horse..........truly the godfather of rock and roll !!!

May 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Julian

I can't think of anyone who has been better at capturing moments in American history and providing commentary on American issues through song than Young. Color me excited!

May 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |