Robin Thicke: I'm the underdog of 'Duets'
May 28th, 2012

Robin Thicke: I'm the underdog of 'Duets'

Singer Robin Thicke doesn't think he's mega-famous yet, but thanks to "Duets," that's likely all about to change.

The new reality show judge told the Hollywood Reporter that while he may have enjoyed some commercial success - his biggest hit, "Lost Without U," dominated four Billboard charts in 2006 - he's not quite a household name across the country.

"I don't think any of us are taking it too personally, because we all actually truly respect each other," he said of his peers on the new ABC singing competition. "Jennifer Nettles, Kelly [Clarkson] and John [Legend], these are great singers. For me, I'm the underdog of the group. I'm just happy to be part of it and give [the] best I can each week."

“I’ve really only had one song that played on the pop charts,” the blue-eyed-soul singer continued. “All my music lives on black radio,” the 35-year-old went on. “So, TV is a huge opportunity to be seen by everyone in Middle America and all these other places where I don’t really tour.”

Not that he’s not grateful for his fans, of course. Thicke is up for the “Centric Award” at this year’s BET Awards, which will be held in L.A. on July 1.

1. 10a fuse

I'll immediately seize your rss feed as I can't in finding your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you've any? Kindly permit me recognize in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

June 22, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. affiliate marketing

Thanks for some other excellent post. The place else may just anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect manner of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the look for such info.

June 4, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Leo

Robin Thicke is a very good singer and some of the criticism put on here are people who know very little about music, Him and his wife are a very good looking couple and I wish them the best...

May 30, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sly

Lost without you, can't help myself, how does it feel to know how much i love you baby, I love you baby. That's some good stuff. That's all men should speak to all those good women they got out there. Show them some appreciation.

May 29, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Betty E

That was the first time and last time I ever heard of listened to this ugly person....how did he ever get a place on this show.....I am talking about the thicke person.....and did yall see the condesending look he gave Kelly? How did Kelly win up with both of hers in last place???????????????
    and none of them found good singers....We have seen much better on some of the other singing contest shows.....Jennifers boy was ok.....the rest wasn't anything special....
    I do hope that someone finds these posts and gives them to thicke......I can't stand his nose or his hair or his singing.....

May 29, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Solo

I had hoped that this show would be better – I couldn't watch of all of it because it just seemed so drawn out and tedious. Thicke's "duet partner" was the best so far, yet she's on the bottom ranking. Boring first episode.
    I'm not returning to watch the second or third or fourth...

May 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • mjinmd

I'm afraid you may be right. To me it was a very boring show. Don't think it will be one that makes it.

May 30, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tracy

ok so he is doing this to become a huge star – good luck

May 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. theme

the show has a good theme but I think they need to get rid of the other female judge (not Kelly Clarkson) she is used to singing as a duet as she has an unfair advantage. if the show makes it to a second season get rid of her. Besides I just dont like her but Love that John Legand

May 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rebbeca

He is married? To a Woman? He is such an awful singer and entertainer how did he even get a place on this show?

May 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • huffdaddy

Agreed. Robin is THE WORST and did he really just say that one of the female contestants is "tasty as pie"?
      What a no class loser!

June 7, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tiacheryl

I'm still astounded how the two whitest people on television in the 80's could produce an R&B singer.

May 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Squirel !

I can't stand his first or last name.

May 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GRS62

Saw Thicke's "tribute" to Whitney Houston on the Ellen show and it was both a horrible performance and a shameless attempt to gain publicity from her death. As with most of today's "singers", he'd most likely get the Gong within the first 30 seconds.

May 29, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. winnie

Robin I love your music. Keep up the good work on Duets and the rest od the world will get to hear how beautiful your music is.

May 29, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. mukazzi

I can understand what Robin is saying. My concern is that the implication is that for a musician's music to be soley played on Black radio is a kiss of death -extremely limiting and not as accepting as another genre such as...country.

May 29, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. Observer

Who? ...On what show? They cloned Alan Thicke? Why the hell would anyone want to do that?

May 29, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  16. Chris Lie

Hi, your blog really touches me, have been reading it for awhile... Just wanted you to know about a website i started ReadYourBiblesChurch.com... It's a place for Bible study guides.. I also put a forum in that can be viewed from a mobile device.. I couldn't find where to contact you privately so I'm commenting, hope that is okay. :) God Bless!
    Jenn.

May 29, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  17. cherry

Robin thicke is sooo cute and his wife is sooo pretty and I love Robin's voice but I am not diggin his current hair cut sorry (smile) but I love duets!!!

May 28, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |