'Idol' winner Phillip Phillips wants you to focus on his music
May 25th, 2012

'Idol' winner Phillip Phillips wants you to focus on his music

He may be handsome, but “American Idol” winner Phillip Phillips says he doesn't want to be a sex symbol.

In fact, the guitar-playing Georgia native is so gun-shy about the label, he told People Magazine, "If a girl [voted] for me because I'm cute, and then gets mad that I have a girlfriend, then she doesn't really like the music. I'm not some cute guy who is trying to be successful off that," he said. "I really want the music to come first."

Ryan Seacrest reportedly outed the love birds a few weeks back, though the identity of the 21-year-old's lady love remains a mystery.

Phillips' undying loyalty to his girlfriend has a lot to do with how supportive she’s been these past few months, he says.

"She is so excited for me," he said. "She supported me throughout all of this, and I love her to death."

"I'm hoping maybe she will be able to come on tour with me," he added. "It would be cool to have her there."

Phillips' mystery woman, who is reportedly studying to become a nurse, might even come in handy on the tour bus - the singer has battled kidney problems throughout the season.

"She has helped me out a lot through this," he said, adding, he plans to undergo surgery "pretty soon."

Phillips heads out on the road with the other top 12 "American Idol" contestants on July 6th.

1. sallyisabel

Hey guys,
    For some awesome exclusive video footage of Phillip Phillips, check out this new studio: The Orange Lounge (http://www.etcanada.com/orangelounge/phillip-phillips.aspx). He was there last night to give a live performance, an intimate interview, and some cool behind-the-scenes tid-bits.

April 15, 2014 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. unlimited phone plans

I've read several good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you set to make the sort of great informative site.

June 7, 2012 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. here

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful info particularly the remaining section :) I maintain such information a lot. I was looking for this certain information for a long time. Thanks and good luck.

June 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ambah

Why do people talk about Obama on an article about Phillip? Im glad he won though hes a great artist!

May 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. andyjacky

God bless you

May 30, 2012 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. informedunionvoter

I picked him to win the first time he sang! I'd be able to prove it, too, if stupid stupid facebook hadn't disabled that account!

May 30, 2012 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. ANNE

I am a 75 yr old southern lady and rarely watch talent shows but Phillip seemed so sincere and though he was urged by the professionals to change his way of singing he stuck to his own way. His own song at the last touched my heart and I hope to hear it again. I wish him well. He will be in my prayers for a return to good health.

May 29, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Julie

I like him because his voice is different. Being a musician is certainly a plus.
    Beautiful voices, though wonderful, are a dime a dozen...that is why different is so good. The search is always on for those who are different.

May 28, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sisterV

I liked Skylar..Jessica...Joshua..D'Andre. Ok Phillip won. I didnot agree. Life does not always go the way we think it should. Good luck to all the performers. As far as politics go, not sure how it was mixed in, but since it was, I will just say, I pray it turns out the way it should. Let the church say Amen.

May 28, 2012 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. renee

Hey people. This is not the time to speak about president stuff. Its time to talk about me being a lezbo! I just want to mow some box....I don't want no coqs!!

May 28, 2012 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. heather

I did not think he did to well i think he could have did better to win

May 28, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. theresea lovinggood

I like PHillip. However i didnt like joshua the first time i heard him. He yells and screams to much and so does jessica. Dont thinh phillip is gay. Joshua yes. But gay or not doesnt matter. Look at elton john. I think phillip will be big .

May 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tiffany

I love him! And not just because he's good looking... He's actually talented. You guys are out of your mind if you think Jessica and Josh can be successful... They are BORING! Skylar, on the other hand, could be.

May 27, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

LOL! Philip was boring as hell. He's a lounge act. If you like that kind of music, he's okay, I guess. I don't think he's going to have a huge career – at least not right now. Where are the last 5 Idol winners now? Scotty's doing okay, but he's Country. Country artists always do well. I'm not going to go out on a limb and say Philip will be a huge success. If history is any indication, the majority of Idol winners are not that successful.

May 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. gricha

Doeshedorocknroll

May 27, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. David

Skyler, Jessica and Josh were the real winners this round. Phillip isn't going to sell me a CD but I give him credit for the last song he did. He won the 2012 Idol with help from a drum band.

May 27, 2012 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  16. brenda

All you phillip haters grow the hell up he is talented and deserved to win and jessica sounded like a wanna be beyonce we have enough of them need someone refreshing a new to listen to loved Phillp and cant wait for more

May 27, 2012 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Draventich

Phillip is talented for sure, cant wait to hear him sing on local bars.

May 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  17. wake up sheeple!

obama has already spent more at this point than bush did in all 8 years in office. at this rate, the u.s. will be owned by the central bank of china if obama is re-elected.

May 27, 2012 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  18. Stevedecred

As for Presidential Side, guys be truthful, you guys call yourselves Christian but all you care about is how to live immoral life which Rommney agreed to give you. Imagine if a father that allow his child to live any life he wishes just to make the father do his own in return. That kind of father is selfish & he only care's for his own business, he's greedy & pathetic, in most annoying way ward!!! Thanks guy.

May 27, 2012 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  19. Stevedecred

There's no cheating in Philip's winning i don't vote for him but, i think the guy got some talent, can't u feel the tune & how enchanting his music is, he rocks right, Thanks everyone

May 27, 2012 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  20. denise

O wow hows ur girlftriend and is the president ok

May 27, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  21. Jadedd

Phillip will have a long music career. He is soooo talented. Can't wait for his album!!!

May 26, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. CeeBee

I want to know what the President and the wanna-be President have to do with the American Idol winner and his girlfriend.

May 26, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • julie

An obsession with politics OR religion....happens everytime! Really stupid!

May 28, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. melvin rankin

Phillip can not sing and all those who think he can is tone deaf as well. joshua and jessica and skylar will be the most successful ones from this season of idol. now for all you obama haters :: get over yourselves: the only reason most of you republican hypocrites don't want him in office is because he is black(just be truthful about it);you all talk about values and being christian but their is nothing christ-like about any of you.read the Holy Bible, you are more like the pharisees; because you people say some mean, hateful,nasty and hurtful things about people and then try to play the victim. matthew 15:7-9 sums up the republican/conservative/tea party the best. a vote for rommney will be a vote for total government contol over our lives. he is a double minded man , unstable in all his ways.(james 1:8)

May 26, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Name*forreal

Jessica got robbed. The judge did everything they could to manipulate the voting. Whats his name sucked. He took good songs and ruined them. They all sounded alike.

May 26, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jeremy

i hated idol until they began allowing artists with actual musical talet a few years ago. (i.e. being able to play an instrument). anyone can get up and sing karaoke, but it takes
    raw talent to play the guitar the way phillips does, did you also notice he rocks out pretty well on the piano? for all phillips haters, kill yourselves.

May 26, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. pat

F all y'all

May 26, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. myob

Probably also they like this kid because he is "moldable." IMO he was not the best in any way – he had the back-up singers and players, so I don't get it? He's so bland. I mean, okay I guess that's the reason everyone voted their seven votes for that guy? I don't see it. A bunch of cover songs and that's all.

May 26, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Jj

everyone one of this guys performances sound exactly the same! Same notes same tones same inflictions! Yawn. It will be the last time we here from this guy. Jessica you got robbed and we will surely hear from you again...

May 26, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • mema

Awe yes very bland. If he wants to stay realavent for more than 15 min he needs to play up the 'cute' thing. This time next year everyone will be saying, Phillip who?

May 28, 2012 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. jlo

Haz matt sorry again. Doin this on my phone and it keeps messing up. I meant if we dont vote him out we goin down. He sure likes spending money we dont have. Hes worthless.

May 26, 2012 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  29. Rueben Studdard

If Philip Phillips had performed "Time of the Season" at his audition he never would have made it to Hollywood. I can't believe none of the judges told him how bad it was. If Simon had still been on the show he would have skewered him. The producers of the show wanted him to win. That's why the judges continued to praise his redundant and predictable performances. Every song sounded the same. You'll be tired of his album before it's over.

May 26, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

You are so right. His rendition of that song was abysmal. He's a boring performer with no vocal range. He's not terrible, but he's certainly not star material. As long as little girls can vote though, the "cute boys" will always win...talent notwithstanding.

May 28, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Beka

Have fun dude!! Kiss ur girlfriend for Me. Congrats!!!!! U deserve the win!!!!!!

May 25, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  31. TK1

Salleeeeeeeeee is an a55

May 25, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Donkey Party

Saleeeeeeeeeeeeee pretty much sums it up. The rest of you are imbeciles.

May 25, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jessica Akoka

I love uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

May 25, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jessica Akoka

I love ur life style philip

May 25, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  35. KaNdI

JOSHUA ALL THE WAY. BET HE MAKES MO $ THAN ALL OF `EM!

May 25, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Joe

He is flaming. Girlfriend? Boyfriend more likely.

May 25, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. brenda melady

Next year idol needs to NOT pull old acts out of the deepfreeze for the finale show. Let the contestants be the musical entertainment. Fantasia neil diamond etc etc they were awful. And why do they need all the old acts. Make the show for 1 hr....name the winner and let all the top ten perform. Everyone of them had something to offer. How many idols really perform now anyway? Kelly Carrie Chris and Clay are still out there going. Where are the others????

May 25, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  38. John milner

Ahh they didnt give it to the suncheez jackpot baby? Thats racist

May 25, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mrs B

Honestly, that is the ONLY reason he won,
    He is a handsome young man to look at
    So too bad to all those girls who voted for him.

May 25, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Clete

You can't fool me...I know his love interest....Justin Bieber.

May 25, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  41. lucy

i dont know why you win..Jessica Sanchez is the winner.......................

May 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Mary Weaver

I'm not a teen, or even close. I like Phillip's musicianship and I don't feel a need to defend that. I've never been particularly interested in the show and until they got to the top 10 this year, I only channel surfed past. I do like listening to the music so I kept tuning in more and more. What amazed me so much this year was how good the top candidates were – not just compared to each other, but compared to the guests who performed, even those I generally like and who are very popular. Some, not all, of the "successful" artists should have been embarrassed. My vote for the one who looked most out of place and uncomfortable – Justin Bieber (whether you are a fan or not). Anybody else think the candidates out-performed most of the guests?

May 25, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • needearmuffs

Exactly!
      Why, one wonders, would jennifer lopez for example get in the middle of a talented group of bright young performers and then go prance around displaying her comparative severely limited range of talent? I cringe for her.
      And here's a hint for those really old singers: your voice deteriorates as you age. Shouting does not make it better.

May 25, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jj

dont cha just love how jlo lip synced her song? Real live performances are a thing of the past. With all the nonsensical computer based music nowadays it's impossible to do it live...

May 26, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  43. Mommy

He would be cute if he did something with his hair. Beautiful smile, though!

May 25, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  44. lol

Im gonna run for president since i know it all

May 25, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  45. salleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

He is a good guy and cute, but one of the least talented in the top five. It is a total rip-off that Joshua didn't win, and
    it IS because teenagers voted for him because he's cute. The judges also were so biased and tried to sway the votes
    for Phillip. The whole thing is a joke now.

Obama is going to win and those who are Republicans/conservatives/tea partiers are a bunch of morons. Nastiest
    group of people who have ever been around.

May 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Haz Matt

until you look at the lying, scheming liberal media who helped get Obama elected, and the stupid morons who believe what they say without checking it out for themselves. How do you confuse a liberal? Simple, Truth & Logic. Romney's not my first choice, but still better than the foreign-born community organizer from Chicago who has besmirched the office of President worse than Clinton or even Nixon. Salleeeee, you're the moron.

May 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Haz Matt

I guess some moron never took geography in school. Last time I looked, Hawaii is a state in these United States of America! Can you say, all birthers are complete idiots! Pedal your fox news info some place else. You are the moron.

May 26, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Jj

So you advocate man on man butt lovins? Way to go! That's as nasty as it gets! Done end of story!

May 26, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • renee

American idol people! Not the place to talk about who's running for president!

May 27, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • gigi

Did you watch the show?Really?They praised Joshua everytime he screamed(best singer ever) giving him standing ovations.He sucked!Phillip deserved to win!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  46. karma

He'll have great music just like Lee Dewyze and Kris Allen who have sold less than the runner ups in their seasons. lololol

May 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  47. LC

This guy thinks he's a s3x symbol! HA ! They haven't seen me !

May 25, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  48. LC

Romney is the man!

May 25, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Asher Heyman

good for U!

May 25, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  50. Dad Clauss (age99)

In my declining years my drug use is not Heavy Duty!

May 25, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  51. David Powell

this man will be a star.

May 25, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  52. Jack Clauss (Bee Bop)

Obama is a kind man who Sucks as a President.

May 25, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  53. Michael Calaizzo

Obama is worse than Jimmy Carter and that is pretty bad.

May 25, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Mitt Robme would be worse then Carter, Obama and Bush put together! You'll be working in China!

May 25, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • yada

If America would take it's collective head out of it's proverbial azz and grow a brain, Ron Paul would be the next Prez!

May 25, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gina

Is he really that bad or is he the patsy elected?

May 25, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Peter Baxter

He is a talent who could sing We Have overcome when Romney wins.

May 25, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  55. Michael Calaizzo

He is the new Davey Casssidy.

May 25, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  56. Daddy Thomas Felix Clauss(in Diapers)

hE HAS GREAT mUSICAL tALENT.

May 25, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |