A gutsy finish to 'House'
May 22nd, 2012

A gutsy finish to 'House'

"House" took a long and winding road to get there, but in the end, the final episode of the series showed what was most important: the relationship between Dr. Gregory House and Dr. James Wilson.

One of the first faces we saw on Monday night (after an extraordinary retrospective special, by the way) was a stunner.

'House' adviser: Why we didn't dumb down the medicine

There was Kutner, in a house which was slowly burning down, looking right at House. (It was a stunner because Kutner killed himself years ago.) Kutner, who represented House's innermost thoughts, soon determined that House was suicidal.

Kutner wondered why House, with his attraction to puzzles, would ever consider the finality of death.

We flashed back to House's latest case, a fellow drug addict whose only real purpose in the story was to be the reason House found himself in a burning home: the two of them were doing heroin, and the patient was dead by the time House recovered.

Soon, Kutner was replaced by another ghostly visage: Amber, Wilson's ex - and a woman whose death House felt responsible for causing.

It was an extraordinary return performance by Anne Dudek, who was then replaced by - yet another surprise - Stacy, House's ex played by Sela Ward, whom we haven't seen on the show in a long time. She reminded House of the domestic life he didn't have (and we were sadly reminded that Cuddy was not going to appear in this episode).

As House experienced something of his own version of "A Christmas Carol," Wilson and Foreman soon discovered he was missing.

Despite the fact that the cancer-stricken Wilson - with just months left to live - refused to take the fall for a prank which would lead to House returning to prison, House's best friend searched high and low for him. The two even visited Andre Braugher's Dr. Nolan looking for him.

In the meantime, Cameron became the latest figure from House's past to appear to him. This time, she told him to just give up and leave this mortal coil. An unlikely angel of death, to be sure.

Soon, however, Cameron's mind was changed, right as Wilson and Foreman arrived. House, still inside the burning building, took one look at Wilson before the place exploded.

I wondered if it might end this way. The funeral included just about everyone but Cuddy (and Lucas). One by one, the likes of Thirteen, Masters, Park, Chase, Taub, Adams, Dominika and even Foreman sung his praises. (At this point, it's still sinking in for me.)

Then, Wilson spoke. After a few moments of faking it, he said it: "House was an a**." As he continued to tell those gathered exactly what he thought about House, a text message alert kept beeping. Finally, Wilson figured out it was his phone: "Shut up, you idiot," the message read. We all know who wrote that.

Wilson soon met a very-much-alive House, who was at the point of no return. Having faked his death (he ducked out the back and switched out dental records, don't you know), he can certainly never practice medicine again (somehow I have the feeling, after everything he's done, he'll find a way).

House asked Wilson what he wanted to do with the time he had left. House faked his death to be with his friend in his remaining months.

So, one of the darkest series on network TV ended with a hopeful, positive message. Taub found happiness with his family; Cameron - remembering the good times on House's team - had a husband and kid; Chase took his rightful place inheriting House's old job.

And Foreman found House's ID badge, only one of three people who knew House was alive. (New additions Park and Adams, by the way, barely got any screentime, which probably says something about how much of an effect their one season had on the show.)

House and Wilson, meanwhile, were on a bridge on motorcycles. Wilson asked what happens when the cancer gets bad. House responded, "Cancer's boring." The duo rode off into the distance.

That was one gutsy ending, no doubt about it. House's final prank was on Wilson (and just about everyone else). The fact that it cut to the core of the series almost erases the extreme implausibility of how House pulled off such a spectacular stunt, not to mention if the trip into his subconscious even mattered, if he was never really suicidal in the first place. Or did he become suicidal on the way to pranking Wilson?

Let's face it, "House" always flirted with the realm of pure fantasy more than any series since "St. Elsewhere," so dissecting this is kind of beside the point.

What I do know is that both Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard should finally get long-deserved Emmys this year. And that "House," a unique series for broadcast television, despite its ups and downs, had an incredible run.

What did you think of the finale? Share your thoughts on video or comment below.

1. Poof--All Payouts Gonzo...

April 22, 2013 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. 9 digits--proof in puddin

April 22, 2013 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. C STEAL

YOU SHOULD NOT BE LOOKING AT OTHER SS NUMBERS...ITS CALLED INVASION OF PRIVACY

April 22, 2013 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. House was tricked from day UNO

April 22, 2013 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. Could be a trick ss...gotta watch the smarts...

April 22, 2013 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. 200k vanished as of last week--40k was just the test

thanks

April 22, 2013 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. Kaditroi

Greatest show I've ever loved! Wish it didn't end, but it was at the right time and place – before it had dragged on too long, but long enough to leave me satisfied:)

June 18, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • lennis

The greatest show in 50 years of watching tv. I will console myself with re-runs and then I will buy the DVD's and hope and pray they do a movie.

June 19, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank Tiffany

Another final episode that leaves you hanging.....JUST like the Sopranos...another great show!

August 6, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. terry

i will miss all my best friends from the begining of the show to the end. They were my friends on tv, i think i loved all of them. i wil never miss a tv show as much. Salud my friends on tfv. Salud. i shall always thank your acting for havnig a place for me to be with you. whaqt a gas. tl

June 15, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. PMT

I thought it was well done, though it did leave some questions. And, no, House is not dead as some have commented here. See first question to David Shore on this link.

May 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. informedunionvoter

Personally, I thought it sucked. The show really took a dark turn two seasons ago and I pretty much lost interest. I like the notion that everyone can be redeemed, and if they aren't it is just because they are too lazy to chose it.

May 30, 2012 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. TCR

House was a waste of time on tee vee that is better spent watching The Knife Show shopping channel.

May 27, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • tcr is a stupid name

It's TV, stupid, and house is an amazing show. if you dont like it, why the hell are you here? Nobody cares about what you have to say.

January 20, 2013 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lynne in SD

House finally realized that he believed in love. Then he rode off with the one he loved – perfect. And pure House.

May 25, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tooquiet4me2005

I'm unconvinced House survived.

I think, with the two ghosts speaking to him in this episode, he tried to escape - didn't - then appeared to Wilson as Amber and Kutner had to him.

May 25, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ms. Smith

I believe my son, also a Virgo attached himself to this actor's "everything....performances in other words in 'House' when I told him he is also a Virgo. He – the boy I gave birth to about 18 and a half years ago, studies Adam Sandler, Bill Murray, and Keanu Reeves, and this actor, and all the Virgo actors, Tommy Lee Jones, and i see this actor going straight to major films and giving the TV a break, as he\s reach enough people by now to make it as a huge movie star. Just my humble opinion mind you for what ever it is worth.

May 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • isabo

what are you talking about?

June 14, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Wait, what?

Are you drinking during the day or something?

June 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rita Hemker

Not that it's really important, (although it may be to Mr. Laurie) he is a Gemini as his birthday is June 11th. Just to set the record straight. Thanks!

August 1, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. S. J. Gander

Ending was was good – a very daring series well acted. Thanks House troop!

May 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Bluejeans

The addiction-thing grew so boring after season 2. I'm glad it's finally over!

May 24, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  17. kathat0

I always called him houseywousey-lol. I can't wait to see what H.L. will do next

May 24, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  18. Jan

Won't work! So House and Wilson take off in to the sunset on their motorcycles? House is LEGALLY DEAD. He has NO driver's license for if he is pulled over for a traffic violation and cops check it, they'll find he is a dead man. He can't use any of his credit cards, he's a dead man, what about his money in his bank, he leave it and his mom cleaned it out? Or he make it to the bank and withdrew it all as cash? But if the time of the withdrawal is checked, it would be AFTER he supposedly died! Which means House is broke, has not a penny to his name, guess Wilson will have to pay for everything and if House gets pulled over by a cop, he will get caught for faking his death and end up back in the slammer BEFORE Wilson does dies, so if you look at all that, NO WAY House's prank would have worked, because he can't stay out of trouble and would have gotten caught, haha! That being said, LOVED House, the entire cast (except Cuddy, cannot stand that actress) the crew were amazing, the writers, Hugh Laurie, what a man, love this guy! Bye, Bye House, wherever you are, have a good one!

May 23, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • LD

it is just a tv show

May 24, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve O

Or, he'll get a ticket for driving without a license. Your way sounds more plausible though.

May 24, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon

True. But Wilson is dieing of cancer and can run up as massive a credit card bill as he wants. Given his salary, he probably has a rather high limit.

June 17, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steele

Did you ever stop to think that House had a will, that left everything to Wilson? Think about it, who else would House have willed everything to? House did care about Wilson.. they were best friends.

And with Wilson having terminal cancer, would anyone really question Wilson withdrawing funds?

And since House switched dental records, did you ever think he took up the dead guys persona? House wouldn't care if the dude was a felon or a loser. He'd just need the guys SSN and birth certificate to get a new DL.

And yes, House would do all those things.

April 22, 2013 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
    • that may not be the right social

April 22, 2013 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  19. mytwocents

House didn't have his cane at the end bc he didn't need it. That was his excuse for needing pain pills. At the end he decided to be a better man, without drugs.

May 23, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jay

The writer of this article nailed it, I couldn't have said it any better. Yes HOUSE will ive on in reruns and DVD's but I'll always wonder what House and the rest of the cast would have been up to daily, as if they all really did exist. I'm not a TV watcher, don't have cable, but House was the one show that I just couldn't miss, for some reason I really cared about this person that didn't even exist! Cudos to the writers for the development of such great characters, and to the actors who portrayed them so very well. Hugh Laurie, if they gave them for TV, you deserve an Academy Award! Amazing show, great crew too, it couldn't have been pulled off without them!

May 23, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  21. lindaluttrell

Gonna miss you, House! No other TV doc did snarky better!

May 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Asashii

they did the fake death ending, that i have already seen this season in another show that just ended, House Boring !!!

May 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  23. crochetycrochetlady

They rode off into the sunset on their "steel" horses, as heros do. How much more picture perfect can you get???

May 23, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Riomel

Rides off into the sunset as you say, HOWEVER, let's hope he surfaces in a third world country like Brazil (who happens to have no extradition laws), and rides back into a medical situation again. Love that man.

May 23, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  24. crochetycrochetlady

Riding off into the sunset on their "steel horses" how picture perfect can you get???

I will miss the show.

May 23, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  25. GeorgePrinceofWales

I found the ending had too many plot holes for what was normally an intelligently written show. How did he swap the dental records? He could not go back to the hospital after the fire, which meant the fire and the junkie's death were pre-planned. Why set fire to the building then take heroin? Never mind that he suffered no ill effects from the smoke and fire, and even with a bad leg managed to avoid falling beams.

They should have killed him off and left him dead, his character flaws finally getting the better of him.

May 23, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  26. Sheila

Did anyone else notice the parallel to Sherlock Holmes' faked death? It was especially noticable, sice the BBC Sherlock series, just aired the episode "The Reichenbach Fall" on Sunday.

May 23, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay

I'd like to take a poll here...Does anybody think House could have switched the dental records AFTER the fire? We don't know how much time lapsed between the fire and the funeral. He could have had a few days to sneak into the coroner's office. That would make more sense if House didn't really plan on killing himself. Plus, wouldn't his subconscience have know he was going to commit suicide, which would have made Kutner, CB and others trying to talk him out of it in the first place? Any thoughts??

May 23, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Josh

House died in the fire.

Just as House saw the dead Kutner and Amber, Wilson saw the dead House.

House looked just too perfect on those steps. No burns. No soot. No singed hair. And most of all, no cane. The cane was gone because in death, House's pain was finally gone.

And when Foreman found House's ID badge, it wasn't to indicate House was still alive, but instead to indicate that there is an after life. That countered Kutner's claim that death was a finality; making House win one last argument.

May 23, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
    • sygnusx

David Shore CONFIRMED House is alive. So, you're wrong.

May 23, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • AlwaysTTime

House was sitting on the steps days after his "death". They had his funeral 1st.(Remember, he sent a txt to Wilson's ph?) He purposely left his tag under the wobbly table to give a clue he was alive & well. House was tripping, luckily he came down in time to get out of there. I think he wanted to die, but Wilson needed him more. Therefore he faked his death, avoided prison, & spent Wilson's last days with him. True friendship.

May 23, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • RSB

Good!

May 23, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

David Shore has confirmed nothing. Shore pretty much refused to expand on the ending.

May 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • cbtx67

Finally sombody got it. .....along with references to Sherlock Holmes, Dead Poet Society(Wilson dies there too), and that guy from the Man in the Moon movie (showing up incognito after his death, or his spirit anyway), and that movie with Bruce WIllis where he is already dead.....excellent show, excellent finish..House is dead and Wilson being near death himself has House as his alter ego now, so wilson can be complete..I can almost forgive the show ending because of this finally.

May 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

I understand your statement because I do have a disability and use a walker to walk but in my dreams I never use a walker. Not needing a walker means freedom for me to dance and run the way I used to.

May 24, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Miranda

Every episode of House takes us through a medical mystery that is always solved by the time the credits roll. I love how, in the end, the writer and creator of House, MD left us with with a mystery to solve on our own, as part of a team. This is great television.

May 23, 2012 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  29. Shreela

House had lost his fake wife, who he grew to love, his BFF was dying, he was battling his addition again, thanks to Creepy Cruddy (I like her as an actress, but hated her character flaws), and could be sent back to prison at anytime. Had it not been for his love of Wilson, he might not have fought to survive.

May 23, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  30. BMc

Nobody above seemed to realize that the final song – "Enjoy Yourself, it's later than you think" was at the core of the finest moment of the finest episode of House, season 5's "Under My Skin." As part II of the season finale, House thinks he's gone through a rehab with Cuddy's help. Turns out it was all a hallucination. And we learn that when he's sitting in a diner, and suddenly Amber is on stage, beautifully lit dark and scary, singing slow and sweet "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think." This is the ALL TIME BEST MOMENT in the history of the show, and one of the creepiest things I've ever seen on TV. Fast Forward to the ending – Cab Calloway singing the same thing in a much more upbeat version. That was fantastic. I lost House and Kristin Wiig in less than 48 hours, what will I watch now????

May 23, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • tmp

I realized it was the same song, and I agree about that being one of the best moments of the show. I was thrilled with the final episode. As long as Cameron and especially Amber came back, I would have been satisfied.

Did anybody else notice the reference to Dead Poets Society? I absolutely loved Robert Sean Leonard in Dead Poets Society, and that is what made me start watching House in the first place.

May 23, 2012 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
    • ColorMaven

Agreed. But I believe the song was sung by Louie Prima.

May 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellen

Oh, I realized that. It was one of my favorite scenes ever. <3

Plus, it's kind of a message the show is leaving us with: time ain't infinite. Everybody dies. Enjoy yourself....

May 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  31. DandyLion

@Janet, Didn't he lose his cane when he fell thru the floor? I liked the ending, thought it was written well. Glad they rode off, till death do they part, Wilson needed House. After, House can jet off to some tropical paradise, kick back & relax! (With a cold 1 & a vicodin...lol!)

May 23, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  32. Brad

The ending had it's flaws, YES, just like the main character did. It was awesome and Im glad they ended on THEIR terms, nothing worse then getting into a good show (unforgettable, touch,a gifted man, person of interest, awake) and having it cancelled w/o a proper ending.. (i mean God forbid, they have intelliectual shows that require thought, those get cancelled, and we get the mindless, tallentless, brainless reallity shows or shi tcoms we have today).. Lisa wasnt in the last season cause they wouldn't give her a raise, if i read correctly and recall, they wanted her to come back making "less" and she said no. but I could be wrong.. it was a great show.. formulaic.. but awesome none the less..

May 22, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  33. CJ

The ending was appropriate and I enjoyed it. I have enjoyed House throughout all eight seasons. Like any intelligent series that has run this long, the strain in the writing begins to show, but the performance of Mr. Laurie and company never wavered. Sorry to see it end, but as Mr. Laurie said, it was time, and it was good to end it on their terms.

May 22, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mommatocharlie

I guess i must have started watching a different show. I thought it was crummy, and boring, and switched off early

May 22, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  35. markau40

The House and Wilson characters have always seemed to me to be the most well-developed (and well-acted), so I was content with the focus of the end of the series.

May 22, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Chris Morgan

I haven't read the entire blog so may be repeating what has already been said. I thought that House did die in the fire and the end was Wilson imagining House as he would have liked him to be in life. Surely much more plausible Of course, it's all fiction anyway so there is no 'real' answer.

May 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  37. stepasidesue

I thought it was boring a stupid.

May 22, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jaxtax

The Article states a good question. Why the internal trip and all the talking to the dead if he was not suicidal to begin with? Did he or didn't he plan the whole thing? Based on the past, of course. It seems to me the whole thing was planned but upon waking up from his heroin party he forgot why he was there (another puzzle). Well he sobered up a bit and remembered. That is when he made his escape. So, the final puzzle was saving himself. Fitting. It was planned from the start with a brief drug induced forgetfullness. Que the dead.

May 22, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred in Boise

People seem to have overlooked the epiphany that House had in the burning building.

With enlightenment in his eyes he declared "but I can change." This was a very new development in House's thinking....

THEN he got up and tried to get out.

May 23, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • cbtx67

Because if he didn't "play" with the idea it would have been just plain boring. ....in response to my earlier post, it also had remnants of the ninth configuration....fabooooo

May 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Big D@ddy E5cort Inc.

I loved how it ended when he flew off into the sunset in his private jet singing and drinking a beer. I thought that was a cool ending.

May 22, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  40. kevin j.

IT'S over but felt pretty good after, house finaly releaved of his medical responsabilitys might just develop into something different as far as a human being. but what happens next we never know. Pehaps wilson will live five years not five months maybe house will eventualy tell his russian wife how he reaily felt, I thought she was his best foil ever, ufortunatley it will be probably from a jail cell because he may get several years in prision for fraud... on top of his other charges, though maybe cunney will put in a good word for him

May 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  41. chris

Loved the ending but wish that they played the angle of wilsons cancer more in the season. Beginning was pretty interesting while house had his ankle bracelet on, then things got kinda boring during the middle. When things started to develop with the other characters, they announced wilsons cancer and kind of left everyone else out, without really finishing any of those story arcs. They could of did more episodes leading up to the last 2, but overall, the finale was very satisfying.

May 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  42. MarcO

I would have handled the finale differently myself, simply by adding one scene after Wilson's and House's "ride into the sunset": a cutscene showing that Wilson had actually died when he was eulogizing House, making House a ghost guiding Wilson into the afterlife, and yes, "Everybody (actually) dies" – House in the fire, Wilson from his cancer, and the patient of the week from his heroin overdose. It would have given the finality the series deserved.

May 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erik N.

Your suggested ending would have violated the whole atheist theme that ran through the entire series. House wouldn't have been the only one furious to find out there was an afterlife!

May 22, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • janet

But Marco, I believe that IS what happened... no way a crippled man got out of the building in time. It exploded as soon as his head popped up! Plus, when he met Wilson on the steps, he had no cane.

May 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Georgia House Fan

What was the name of the song played as they rode off into the sunset????

May 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

The song is called "Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think)": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enjoy_Yourself_%28It%27s_Later_than_You_Think%29

May 23, 2012 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  44. CC

Right. House is seen supposedly crushed by burning debris, the place explodes, and yet, and yet, House sprinted to the rear of the place – let's say to a rear exit 100 feet from where he stood – a second before this all happened. Just slipped out thru the rear. May as well have written that it was all a dream.

May 22, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Linda

I have been a fan of this show from the start. I am going to miss it. The ending was extremely well done and uplifting for all involved. Excellent writing, acting, casting, sets, I can't say enough good about this show. A well deserved congratulations to all involved for a job well done.

May 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  46. sissy1

Very pleased with the finale! Liked the way Wilson and Foreman finally took a stand and were able to firmly tell House "No'.
    That was the difference, in previous seasons anyone that tried to be firm ultimately and predictably caved. The visitations by past characters represented aspects of House that he didn't like to dwell on: puzzles that were unsolvable(Kutner's suicide); guilt over a death that was his fault(Amber), love that he should have stuck with(Stacy), and utter compassion (Cameron). By this point in his life, House had bottomed out and knew all he did have was a pure friendship that he had taken for granted for years. My thought is he planned on faking his death soon, before he joined the patient for the drug party, but did not plan on the fire trapping him. In his mind he was pretty much "dead" anyway so that freed him up some to face thoughts and feelings he had been able to avoid for years. Very sad to see the end of this show but glad Mr. Shore was able to control how it ended instead of it abruptly ending with many questions left for fans. Congratulations to the entire cast and crew for meaningful entertainment!

May 22, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  47. TN Scooby

I didn't mind the Cuddy arch, but after he ran the car into the house, that was what turned me off......I tried to tune back in, but I hated the new characters and just stopped watching. But I tuned into the series finale and I'm glad I did. It was a very fitting end to the series. I look forward to seeing Hugh Laurie and the cast members in other roles.

May 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Dolan

Doktar Wilsur hos cansur, Formun pls put slep.

May 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  49. cooper

The ending was GREAT! I will miss this show!!!

May 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  50. kathie

I thought it was a very fitting end for the series. He picked his best friend, showed he had real feelings for Wilson, and rode off into the sunset. His retrospect allowed us to remember how he lived his whole life, afraid to be involved, get hurt or show emotion
    I thought it was great. I laughed, I cried and felt a great relief at the end. Well done.

May 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  51. marie

I love Hugh Laurie's character. He deserves an Emmy for being always an outstanding actor here. I will miss this very intelligent and worthwhile show. House is the one I always look forward to watching. Tough act to folllow.

May 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jaime Alexander Batista

This is for those who didn't like the finale; you have to look at the artistic side of the finale. House has always been about him, he couldn't even be by Cuddy when she though she had cancer but, Wilson was ALWAYS there for him and this is the only part in the entire series that house did something on his own that wasn't selfish. Sure, he let 13 walk as a non-selfish act but that was after he had convinced her to stay, he figured out the puzzle. In the finale he went through a self search through all of the images of his co-workers. House always cared about the puzzle and nothing else, this time he just cared about his best friend's death by sacrificing everything he had (all the puzzles of being a Doctor as well as his free life by faking his death). For those who liked the finale and feel sad the adventures ended, like I; just remember what House taught us through the years, this lesson is personalized by the viewer so I won't give a speech of what I learned. Congrats to the writers.

May 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Raziel CA

A very Holmes-y ending to House.

May 22, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I scoured the internet for someone else who noticed this (SH) as well but to no avail. Seems like true House fans are rare! Good job for picking it up!

May 22, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Tony

Stupid show. I'm glad it is gone. Let's dump "Community" next.

May 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD

Obvious troll is obvious.

May 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

seriously man, why are there all of these haters. you especially make me mad because you are trashing the two most risk taking shows on tv, both are very original and great shows.

May 22, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  55. svann

Worst finale ever. Nothing like the quality of the rest of the series. I think the writers were angry they were getting the axe but were contractually obligated to make the final show. Boring.

May 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

David Shore, the creator and the guy that decided to end the series instead of find a new network or bid for renewal, wrote the episode. Your argument is invalid.

May 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nighthouse

The episode was written by House Creator David Shore himself.

May 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

You obviously didn't see the Seinfeld finale then.

May 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ELLEN B

I loathed show from the beginning, and hated the way it trivialized the disease.Over and over, it demonstrated no respect or care for people undergoing onerous treatment, for people in
      fear.I stopped watching House.Ironically? H.L. is a GREAT musician–and I had a grande time
      hearing him on late night TV stint recently.all those years on House, morbid,morose,medically
      inaccurate tales-and H.L can sing and play wonderfully!

May 22, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Bill C

II missed the finally, but was going to catch it on my brothers DVR. Not liking what im hearing here! Was it just a season finally, or is the show caput???

May 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellen B

Show is done and over,Yes. it was the series Finale....sorry you are sad about missing it,I have my favorite shows, and I will miss them.
      But real life is better than reel life! Cheers! E.B.

May 22, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. barbara hedrick

i can,t beleive the series is gone i watch it all the time. i loved all the older actors like chase and jennifer morrison and wilson,and foreman lisa and i just loved houe good luck on your music,and all your upcoming things that will be going on. i will miss you all love bh take care and good luck to you all ill be watching to see if ican see you all again.i would love to have a signed pic of all of you.

May 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Josh

It was a gutsy finish. It was a fitting end but not quite what I was expecting. The show has always toyed with the dark edges of human nature and I did expect there would be a real possibility House would be killed. One of the most riveting scenes was Cameron telling House it was okay to let go and end it because he had suffered enough. Hate to see the show go. Nothing else quite like it.

May 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Bert

Doctors all over America can give a big sigh of relief for not having to hear about an eccentric Doctor who is quirky and able to diagnose diseases.... a skill that has all but disappeared from the American landscape.

May 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Treblok

Very good ending to a series. I've been a long time fan, like the rest in this thread. Very creative and a befitting ending. House and Wilson deserve the ride into the sunset. BRAVO!!!! Thanks for a great ending, unlike "Nip Tuck", "Dead Wood", and "Carnival." And yes, "Everyone Lies!"

May 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Debbie

House wasn't pranking Wilson. He truly was suicidal. But he decided he could change–quite a huge development for House.

May 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bert

To plant the body and change dental records it was clear to me House wasn't going to kill himself thinking back.

May 22, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Bill C

IFolks, i like episodes that bear stark reality to real life medical situations! I just have to say that i think the producers are straying way to far from reality in the fact that house being able to practice medicine after some of the fiascos he creates and gets legally caught in are just too out there!! Its kind of ruining my comfort level for the show. Now, Cuddy!! Just who has been the most responsible for keeping house just inside the boundries of getting in too deep on some of his ventures?? Cuddy!! She has also been there from the start and needs a permanent role here!!! Why? How many people quit watching ER after they lost all the regualr actors from the series??? Are you getting it now? Stats speak for themselves! One good way to ruin a great show is to start changeing all the faces!!! And, if it gets any more outside the realm of reality, it will change the show i know as house and ill lose intrest!! Allot to think about here producers!!! Dont stray too far outside producing 101 and learn by the mistakes of ER and its face changes! I would like to see house be a much longer running series! If it still has the ratings, then its not broke! Dont try to fix it in extremes!

May 22, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  63. jjay

At first I was surprised at the ending. But then again, House always finds away to manipulate the situation to work to his advantage. Typical of House when you really think about it!

May 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Janine

Stacey was not House's ex-wife, she was his ex-girlfriend. They lived together for years but they never married.

I think the journey did matter because House was sucicdal in the begiing. He had every intention of killing himself in the begining, which is why all those people (aka his subconsciouns) was trying to justify it or talk him out of it. I think it was only when the building exploded that he hatched his plan to let everyone think he was dead so he could aviod jail and spend Wilsons last months with him.

May 22, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Eric

Great series – mainly because of the writing. Very disappointed with the series finale. Typical bad writing seen in other shows that resort to fantasy to solve problems caused by the bad writing... repeat...

May 22, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

I don't think I can pinpoint another show where drug-induced hallucinations were so required to communicate the complexities of the character. I also don't think that they were resorting at all to 'fantasy' when they used departed characters to present his inner turmoil and near-suicidal thoughts. I also don't think it counts as 'fantasy' when both House and the audience are perfectly aware that those people are only projections of his subconscious...

May 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Scott Wi

See Ya Buddy...

May 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  67. dmarry

All that started superbly ended superbly; I still have difficulty accepting that House is finished but I know that most of the cast especially HL will of course only improve with time just like a fine wine. I enjoy a fine reisling personally! Good luck in future endeavours to all of the cast from House. You've made my life a lot brighter and well the show was just brilliant; all involved have so very much to be proud of! I will miss you all!

May 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Beth IL

I have never taken the time to post to anything like this before, but I feel compelled to share my loss with all the fans that probably feel the same way. I loved that House and Wilson rode off together. It is how it should be. I was a little disappointed in some of it, but the ending was perfect. I will miss Hough and feel a sense of heartache; like losing your first love/crush as a teenager (and I am middle-aged). I have never been so devoted to a show in my life. I think it's because of how well I related to House. Although he was an "ass" as Wilson put it, you always knew there was a good guy underneath it all. I sure hope a movie is the works..... I'll be the first in line.

May 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • dmarry

Everything you've said here also applies to me; I'm glad that we could share these eight years together with Hugh and House and everyone else that was part of the show and everyone that felt like we have and still do. ;)

May 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  69. snorri

I did not get that Foreman knew he was alive, in fact who is the third? Also did not get why House was in the burning building. Have to say though that it was a great ending to the show – one of the best episodes.

May 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Donald

Now it's back to Guantanamo?

May 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Mainepilot

Dr. Gregory House...somewhere...out...who knows where, laughing at the rest of us "idiots"...while us "idiots' hope that when we're ill, a doctor like house will be there...and if he really thinks we're idiots...all the more fun for him and us! It was a great season with a great ending. And, it didn't matter that Cuddy didn't appear because House' real love was his best friend Wilson. It all was a perfect ending to a near perfect romance....thank about it!!!

May 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Sharon

Steve Dunn: The heroin addict/patient said he'd take the fall for House. With the addict's help, House had ample time to switch the dental records before going to the warehouse to get loaded with the addict. I believe the addict O.D.ed on purpose since he was terminal. House probably assisted, or at least didn't stop him. Now House has a body to go with those switched dental records, a body that would be mistaken for his. Contrived? A bit. But still effective.

May 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Molly

And, now House has a stash of heroin that he and Wilson can use when the Cancer gets really bad.

May 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nighthouse

He was gonna take the fall for him, and he was gonna die until house told him that he wasn't symmetrical. House saved the guy. How they ended up taking heroine together no one really knows.

May 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Joe spag

This was a story of redemption. House had to hit rock bottom before he ever could rise up again. He was about to lose his best friend, had lost his "wife" (whom he came to care about), he was about to lose his career and head off to prison and did heroin in some hulk of a abandoned building. Can't go much lower than that.
    Then he made the supreme sacrifice (for him- his job was his life) and gave it all up for his dying friend.
    A brilliant, poignant ending to a great show. It felt satisfying as it had a House-ian twist and we can still imagine what mischievous things House will be up to in the future...

May 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  74. caterina santangelo

Si, mi è piaciuto l'ultimo episodio di House, mette daccordo tutti, quelli che si aspettavano dovesse morire ....e giù lacrime e dispiaceri, quelli che speravano nel lieto fine, House vivo che se la spassa a modo suo e che nn cambierà mai!!!
    Ciao House ci hai accompagnato per 8 anni , ci mancherai ma sarai sempre ricordato come il M.D number one.

May 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Marty

I'm just surprised they let Kumar come back for his 5 minute scene.

May 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Tracy Murray

As a fat middle aged broad who is planning to write a House fan fiction in the near future , I find your comment offensive , I loved Cuddy , and even though I am not a shipper , I was happy that she and House got together , if only for a few episodes . I knew that the romance would not last and I was hoping the producers and writers would extend the Huddy relationship until the end of season seven , but that was not to be , I guess . As much as I would have liked Lisa Edelstein back , of the three episodes I saw this season , I found she wasn't needed in many of the storylines , as this final season , or at least the final story arc , was all about House and Wilson 's relationship with each other and that , to me , was the real heart of the series all in all . Going back to my plan to write fan fiction , the story or stories I have plan will not involve romance , or if there is romance , it will be done as an afterthought , just letting you know .

May 22, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Linda

I think the finale was wonderful. I have watched House since the beginning and loved all of it...even when it got dorky with the Cuddy romance. I must say that I did envision them together...but when it happened it didn't work. Perhaps had he impregnated her instead it would have been better. Anyway, sad that House is over...glad the ending was so complete.

May 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Rich

Still a fan! Loved the ending but wish they had explained the fire.

May 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • suzie~q

I think that the patient probably fell asleep with a burning cigarette in this hand or mouth. They showed that he has a habit of doing that.

May 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Gand

I did miss Cuddy! However, I thought the ending was conventional, a sort of Thelma/Louise or Sundance Kid finality. Why didn't Cuddy show? Money?

May 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Namcy

I thought the series and especially this last episode was very well put together and very well acted out and I'm sorry to see it go of the air, I will miss seeing it even though I didn't always catch every episode, I thought Hugh Laurey was the perfect pick for the main character

May 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  81. minnehaha

I didn't start watching house until its 5th season and it has become one of my all-time favorites. Having said that, I feel strongly that the series finale deserved better. The first 30 minutes of the episode were absolutely pointless and while it was nice to see all of those characters return, it was confusing (for a moment there, I was scanning my memory trying to remember whether Sela Ward's character had been killed off because House always hallucinates with dead people). I feel that a more satisfying (to fans) finale could have been made. I would have liked to have seen what happened to House down the road. Perhaps a House movie would provide some closure. They could make a movie about House who now practices medicine on some Caribbean island or runs a lab somewhere in England where he very convincingly fakes a British accent. To me a very satisfying series finale was the final episode of "Scrubs" season 8. Now that's a finale done right!

May 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  82. kdsworld

Using Warren Zevon's "Keep Me in Your Heart", written when Warren was himself dying, was a brilliant stroke. THAT is when the tears threatened to come (as they usually do when I hear it.)

May 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Barb

I watched HOUSE from the beginning to the end! Will miss the show!!

May 22, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  84. JJ11

I thought the final episode was great...happy that he wasn't dead, as implausible as it may have been.

I also enjoyed the retrospective before the actual episode, when Hugh Laurie made sure that the entire crew along with the cast got their due.

May 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Vita Bandy

I love House.I watched since it came on it was my favorite sorry to see it leave but I am so glad House and Wilson got to be together at the end thats what real friendship is about,Being there for each other.It ending just as I expected..House would find away...Great job and Thanks for giving us this great show for 8 years...

May 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  86. drqangel

LOVED it!! I wasn't as avid a watcher as I was in the beginning but I didn't miss many episodes. I got frustrated when the writers put House and Cuddy in a relationship. The beauty of the show was House refusing to admit his friendship with Wilson was more than just codependent and Cuddy/House will they ever get together. For a minute I kind of wanted Cuddy to show last night but in the end I'm glad she didn't. I'm going to miss the character of House more so than the show *sniff*

May 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  87. drqangel

May 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  88. mike watkins

did house kill that man?

May 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  89. HolyToledo

House went out the only way he could...being House. Loved it!

May 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Bernie

The ending, as stated above in the article, was implausible. How could he have appeared at the window of the burning building, and within seconds, or so it seemed, the building explodes. How could have House escaped out the back, intact, when he walked with a cane and the whole building was engulfed in flames?

May 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Dunn

My thoughts exactly – seems to not have been enough time. Also, how did House, while supposedly dead, manage to switch dental records with his previous patient (did they both go to the same dentist?)

May 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Evangelisti

My thought's exactly. The explosion happened too fast after seeing HOUSE standing in the window. There was no way humanly possible that he could have made it out that fast, except being in a staged movie scene. It should have been made more realistic, so these comments would not be raised. I'm disappointed in whoever wrote that part of the scrip.

May 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Digirl16

Although it was a little different than what I expected the irony of House finally doing something unselfish meant he had to go to the extreme to do it just sums up Gregory House in one span. I watched all 8 seasons and this was a great show. I know I watched many of times seeing House be such an ass but I always felt great when he was always outsmarting everybody. This show was the absolute best and I will miss it dearly and I loved that they didn't compromise House's demeanor to sell a sweet ending. :)

May 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jenna

I thought this ending was really predictable! Knowing that House is based off of Sherlock Holmes, one of the most recognizable books is the Reichenbach Fall, where Sherlock fakes his own death. What's more, the series Sherlock just ended their second season with this. I was surprised that House hadn't done this earlier, leaving me to believe that it was bound to occur at some point. Did anyone else notice this?

May 22, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

I had the same reaction, as I am a Sherlock Holmes fan, and I had just watched the Sherlock finale as well. I never really felt that he was dead, but the ending was fitting. House finally puts another person before himself, albeit when people finally stand up to him (Foreman and Wilson in this case). But I think the writers got it right. All the questions weren't answered, but just enough of them were.

May 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Molly

The 'book' you're thinking of is The Final Problem. Moffat and Gatiss took that story and turned it into the Richenbach Falls for the tv show.(As the name of the waterfall that Holmes and Moriarty fall off of in The Final Problem was called Richenbach)

May 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  93. jim

I loved it. Very sad that it's over, but looking forward to watching re-runs for years to come. Who knows, maybe Hugh will decide he misses it and make some dramatic comeback. A huge "thank you" to everyone involved in the show. It was a regular part my Monday nights for 8 years. Well done!!

May 22, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Donnye

I'd like to see a movie that has House finding a cure for Wilson, and somehow still practicing medicine. I liked the ending even though House's escape and record switching was just a bit too facile. Thanks to cast and crew for many wonderful seasons!

May 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Karen

What a show! I laughed and cried through the whole episode. I have been an avid fan of House from the beginning and it's hard to believe it's over. WELL DONE!

May 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Mihai

House faked being suicidal ? what are you, an idiot ? who could he have pranked ? you deffinetely haven't understood a thing from House series

May 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Jazesma

I thought the ending was superb! Glad house figured out a way to get those final months with Wilson, only he could have figured a way out. Will miss this fabulous show!

May 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Tracy

Stacy was never House's wife so she couldn't be an exwife. She was just a live-in girl friend.

May 22, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Steve Dunn

I was very disappointed that Cuddy did not appear at least somewhere in the finale. Does anyone here know why not?

Also, I may be alone on this, but I felt the final few minutes were not "real" at all, and were not intended to be but perhaps were a wish-fulfilment fantasy on the part of a very sick Dr Wilson (possibly near the end of his battle with cancer) as I noted that the House that showed up on the steps staring at Wilson had no cane...??

May 22, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Yes, me too. I'm quite dissapointed that Cuddy didn't show up. While saying in an interview saying she "will be there for as long as the show continues", she completely dissapeared from the last season. Such a shame!

May 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  100. kate

i liked shout out to dead poets society. RSL has always been my fave.

May 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  101. KAnnVA

Cuddy and House getting together threw a lot of people off. But, they were only together for a couple episodes. You should have hung in there. Knowing how he is, you should have known he would have destroyed the relationship quickly and gone back to normal. Cuddy was no longer there after he drove his car threw her house.

May 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  102. John B

I figure a perfect ending to segway into a movie: 'House: Wilson's Final Months'. And then, a new series or maybe another movie with an 'unknown' doctor doing miracle cures at some free hospital or clinic in some far corner of the world!!!

May 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annie

My thoughts exactly!!

May 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sally

I love the "House: Wilson's last months" idea. I'm totally all for that!! Whose going to write it? and it has to be Robert Sean Leonard and Hugh Laurie reprising their roles.

May 22, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  103. JerseyBob

I thought the ending was fantastic. However, I was hoping that David Morse would make an appearance. The season where he had a recurring role was the show's best, in my opinion.

May 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  104. rebfeb

Brains over brawn; macabre humor over pratfalls; great characters and Hugh Laurie - a great ride for 8 years; and the ending was superb!

May 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Cow Palace

Thought this show was off a long time ago. Maybe I live under a rock.

May 22, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  106. JP Austin

I've never seen House before..ever..and I happened on the last half of this episode by chance. Very compelling. I mean, I knew he was a curmudgeonly character, etc. (I don't live under a rock), but I didn't need to know much else to be drawn in. As someone else said, it wasn't without flaws, but very well done.

May 22, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  107. Skidmark

"A Gutsy finish to house" What was gutsy about it? That show was awful and I'm glad it's gone now!!! Maybe they'll put something worth watching on the air.

May 22, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Rory Tate

OK, I'll feed (one of the many) the trolls. I believe your comments echo your name. I'll leave the rest to House, "Shut up, you idiot."

May 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheryl

I am sorry that the show, House has ended. It was the only show on tv that actually knew what they were doing. Take Grey Anatomy, Scrubs..they didnt use the proper term of an illness or proper utensils in operating rooms, Hugh Laurie is an outstanding actor

May 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • luiro

My guess is, if you're waiting for a "good show" like maybe something with either Snooky or Kim Kardashia, well, it's your prerrogative.

May 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Skidmark, it's obvious how you acquired your name. "House" was probably a little too intellectual for you to appreciate. You weren't the intended audience, so your opinion hardly counts.

May 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Gemma

It was an absolutely perfect ending. I also hope Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard win well deserved Emmys, especially Hugh Laurie who has deserved it numerous times.

May 22, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  109. MelNY

Loved it! It wasn't without flaws, but overall was a satisfying ending. I didn't miss one last appearance by Cuddy in the least and love seeing Sela Ward. I also thought the "Swan Song" farewell was beautifully done. I do hope Hugh and Robert get those Emmys.

May 22, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  110. Michael Caliazzo

Howabout a show where Fat Warren Buffet eats Pizza while he works.

May 22, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  111. Michael Caliazzo

i have not watched in years.

May 22, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • terry

so why compelled to comment.... i don't comment on shows i don't watch – find something else to do

June 15, 2012 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  112. thanks

mlt1473 thank you for saying that i didn't need to have watched the last two seasons to understand and like the finale. I haven't seen it, yet, under the impression that since I stopped watching it I wouldn't get anything from it. I hated House and Cuddy together so much that I stopped watched two seasons ago as well, but now I'll Hulu the finale.

May 22, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  113. 5th!

:) :) BRILLIANT! :) :) :)

May 22, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  114. BethTX

Fantastic and fitting finale! It made up for the show sucking so hard over the past few years and all of the shark-jumping. House and Wilson literally riding off itno the sunset was just brilliant.

May 22, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  115. love

It was riveting. House finally confronted his demons and made the ultimate sacrifice for his friend and himself. I call that one of the best series finales ever on TV. it kept you glued to your seat and very satisfied.

A big shout out to Hugh Laurie, Robert Sean Leonard and the rest of the cast for a wonderful end to this series.

May 22, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • terry

love, perfectly said. The actors have been incredible for us. what a joy

June 15, 2012 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  116. mlt1473

I quit watching House after Season 6, because I hated the idea of House and Cuddy together. I watched the finale last night, and the first thing I thought was "this is what House was like when House was good". I also realized that not watching the last two seasons didn't affect my ability to understand the finale. The finale was awesome, and a fitting send-off to the show and the characters. I may be the only person who watched who didn't miss Cuddy.

May 22, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • BethTX

No, I hated Cruddy, too. I stopped watching when that whole thing started. Leave the romance crap to the fat middle-aged broads who write fan fiction.

May 22, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Eman de Riuqer

You weren't. I was wondering if she'd show for old times sake, but something they said in the retrospective (as one of the shows creators (or whomever it was) I think implied she really pi ssed them off on her way out... Edelstein, NOT the character) that aired before the finale convinced me she was NOT going to be there. As such, I didn't think Lucas would be there either, and Alvy showing up didn't make any sense, considering. I was surprised Dominica was there for the funeral.

I agree with the author of the article, the whole introspection thing didn't make sense... inasmuch as House would ALREADY have had to have switched the dental records, AND have intended for his dying drug addict patient to go out in such a way that they would have HAD to depend on those dental records... the real question should be... was House really doing H at all? It would explain seeing Kutner and CTB again... along with Stacy and Cameron... maybe the suicidal ideation wasn't planned, but it all came together in such an improbably neat way that all we can do now is forgive them. Hey, it's the end.

For those of you who tuned out when House became Chuddy, (the show, I mean,) they were only together for a few episodes, as I recall, and House screwing up and sabotaging the relationship started off almost immediately. It's worth it to go back and watch, if for no other reason than to understand what led up to the big moment when House parks his car in Cuddy's living room.

The finale was a little like that moment, which people connected with the show insist House wasn't TRYING to kill Cuddy... oh yeah? Well, when he looked in the window and saw them there, Cuddy and her friends, and a presumptive new boyfriend (House had no reason to know about him...) then decided to ram his car through the wall... he really didn't have any way of knowing no one would have been in the room. Rachel could have wandered into the room, for all he knew, in theory, in the nearly a minute since he'd last peered through the window, got back in his car, told Wilson to get out, drove down the street, flipped the car around, stopped, reved the engine... dropped it into gear, and floored it, drove half-way down the street... after which he'd have had no way of seeing her, or anyone else in the living room.

What he did was at the very least insanely irresponsible, and stupid, if not in point of fact with murderous intent.

The fact no one was in the room, conveniently, was a little like House engineering the moment when Foreman and Wilson saw him "die", the swapped dental records, etc. The universe at large did the same thing Cuddy did so long, so often, what they all did, which was go out of their way to make sure House got away with whatever insanity he pulled. In the real world, NO ONE would EVER be able to do what House did... but is that really different from so many other shows on TV? Does that make House (the show) different from Heros? Buffy TVS? The chicks on Charmed? Wonderwoman? Star Trek? Superman? I don't think so...

It didn't end the way I'd hoped, of course. I hoped they'd all end up in jail for all the people they'd murdered over the years. House has murdered at least two people, I think, (one of whom was John Laroquet's character, if not murdered, then certainly he facilitated his suicide... in a non-terminal patient because the death would be convenient for House, so where'd House get his opinon on suicide, hmmm?) then there's Taub, who murdered Kutner out of jealousy and fear he'd eventually lose his job because Kutner was, in the end, the better and smarter, as well as younger doctor... (watch the commentary on the DVD's for that season... it's where that was revealed.) Remey "13" Hadley murdered her brother... Foreman stabbed Cameron at one point with what he thought was a needle infected with an unknown but probably fatal disease... intentionally... attempted murder, at any rate. Chase murdered the African dictator played by James Earl Jones... on the other hand, I saw the whole "Chase becomes House's successor" thing coming several episodes ago as Chase got to be smarter and smarter, less whorish, etc. a bit out of character for him in both directions... Masters poisoned someone... and she wasn't the only one to use a non-indicated drug on a patient to accomplish her ends. "13" left a drug in someone's reach knowing she'd take it... said drug was NOT indicated for that patient... the list goes on and on.

I can't remember whom Wilson killed, but I'm sure he killed someone. If nothing else, he aided and abetted House's afore mentioned murder ("assisted suicide") of the father of Son of a Coma Guy... (Coma Guy himself) when he helped establish House's alibi and then there's the whole hanging out with a guy who faked his own death to evade prosecution. If they're smart they left the US, and as they get ready to ride motorcycles off into the sunset, they're in some other country.

Almost every main cast character has committed multiple B&E's, and with all the people they murdered... a more fitting and appropriate ending might have been to take the entire realm of House, in which an abrasive, abusive, psychotic criminal can get away with anything if he is usually eventually right... and park it in reality, in which they'd all end up going to jail. A way in which it could have been done could have been that the guys trying to get House for drugs, and Tritter could have come back and done a months long secret sting operation, uncovered all these crimes, gotten all the people to roll on House, testify against each other to save their own skins with regard to House's drug use, while secretly preparing to nail them all for the various murders they committed...

But House, (and here I mean the TV series) died as it lived... rooted firmly in fantasy-land. It didn't end how I'd have liked, but I did enjoy the ending, nevertheless and it's been an amazing ride, even if certain spots were tough to put up with (like the "we're running out of time, better put House and Cuddy together... thing).

I don't blame them for staying in fantasy land. Most of TV is escapism in one way or another. I only wonder if at some point in the future, they end up with a new series called "Chase, M.D." Of course, if they were going to do that, did it make sense to paint-ball the set?

May 23, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |