May 21st, 2012

Kristen Wiig's emotional 'SNL' goodbye

Although NBC never officially announced as much, it looks like Kristen Wiig has cracked her last joke on “Saturday Night Live.”

The longtime cast member got a royal but emotional send-off over the weekend from the night's host, Mick Jagger, who played her teacher in a mock graduation skit.

The comedian/actress was noticeably choked up as Jagger announced, "Many of you are moving onto college, but I'd like to take a moment to say goodbye to one particular student who is leaving this summer . . .to become a nun," he joked.

"You've meant quite a lot to us over the last seven years - she got held back! - so our music department got together and prepared a song to say goodbye," he told Wiig.

Then out came the tissues when current and former cast members Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch and Chris Kattan came up on stage to dance with Wiig, welcoming her to the other side.

But it doesn't seem that the “Bridesmaids” star and co-writer is about to have a lot of downtime, as Wiig reportedly has six other films in development, including "Imogene" with Darren Criss and a remake of "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" with Ben Stiller and Sean Penn.

Now that Wiig appears to be out the door, “SNL” fans will just have to wait and see if the rumors about Andy Samberg and Jason Sudeikis also leaving are true.

1. brazilian hair

I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog site http://100brazilianhumanhair.webeden.co.uk/#/blog/4571777783/100-human-hair-brazilian-hair/4347362

December 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tomasx Nicolac

I'm still learning from you, as I'm making my way to the top as well. I absolutely enjoy reading everything that is written on your blog.Keep the aarticles coming. I liked it!

July 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Charming

Jason Sudeikis ... please don't go! You're great!!

May 23, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Steve Pinsent

I think it's important to note that the long running program showcases young comic talent on a mainstream level, where else would talents like kristen wiig, andy samberg and bobby moynahan go to become notable performers. Although I'm sad to see Wiig go, she will always be a presence on the show for years to come, just like will ferrell, amy poehler or steve martin. And Lorne Michaels isn't a racist and the show isn't past its prime.

May 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The Hook

Why doesn't SNL just limp off into the sunset already? The end HAS to be near, if ratings are any indication...

May 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. the_dude

Never heard of it snl hasn't been funny for at least 10 years

May 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mikrik13

Another in a long line of less than funny SNL players being jammed down America's throat.

May 22, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Mikrik....

.....you are the one who certainly knows about having things 'jammed down your throat'.

May 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jeff

Timberlake should step in. Wigg being missed doesn't say allot for the show. It's been a slow & steady decline since Fey, Phoeler, Fallon and others dropped off. Time for a reboot Loren...

May 22, 2012 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Chris

Hey crazy guy john its cool to see u talk crap on blogs to ppl you will never meet lol have not watched the show in a long time but u beat the snl skit cuz nothin is funnier than an internet bully lol get out ur folks basement and stop commentin alson im only 22 and put my real name so what now

May 22, 2012 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. porto

Talented but overrated. Annoying to see her in every single skit, with basically the same personality except for one or two where she did shine.

May 22, 2012 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. Anton

Wigg. Awesome talent.

But Lorne michaels a racist.

Loves white men. Has token minorities.

And minorities can't be seen unless in crime scene.

U would never see minority in Lawrence Welk spot.

Fire that dinasaur michaels.

Loren. Guess what minorities make up close to 40 % of pop. Keep casting 95% white.

May 21, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big D

Lorne Michaels is not racist -why don't you go write some funny comedy skits that involve african americans ? so we can stick Jay Pharaoh in them -I think he is destined for bigger things than SNL

May 22, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ace

I am sad that she is leaving! Thankfully the remaining cast is okay and we don't have to worry about next season being a season 6 (The infamous WORST season ever 80/81.)

May 21, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Wembley

Lol

May 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Doug Collins

Jeez John. Way to class up the comments. Anywhoo, she will be missed. Liked her in macgruber.

May 21, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Huicho

I love SNL, Keenan Ivory Wayans has done a great job with it since the 90's. I also like that cast member Jim Carrey haha he is gonna do great things I think! Oh and also those dancers the fly girls I think their called, good stuff!

May 21, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • nisha

Um... You must be young?? Keenan Ivory Wayans and Jim Carey was on another show called In Living Color back in the 90's.

May 22, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  16. Katy Mae

I may be in the minority, but I think SNL has been pretty darn funny these past couple seasons. She will be very much missed, as will Andy and Jason.

May 21, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Anne Geraldine Urkowitz

She will be missed.

May 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rlg

I will definitely miss Kristen Wigg as she is so versatile. For me she was the highlight of SNL. Good Luck to whatever you choose to do Kristen!

May 21, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. anonymous

Not got Wig's humor–but then again, SNL hasn't been funny in years (not since Farley and Sandler, Fey and Fallon). The only time I watch is when Timberlake is on, because that kid is funny.

May 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Smart of you to use "anonymous" as your username.

May 21, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

because if you put your real name is crush your soul. You see, I'm a tough guy. Red Flag: because I'm f$&@%#g crazy!

May 21, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Tim

Glad she is gone. Making fun of people with thalidomide defects is not funny. Ever. Yet she did it again and again, showing she has no class.

May 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Or that you have no sense of humor. And I wonder how often you've laughed at comedians poking fun at someone else.

May 21, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

no reply Tim? Because your inferior! Mongoloid!!!

May 21, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Tim, I gotta agree with you. I recorded the show and didn't see it until tonight (Monday). I hate those Welk skits. No class. I'm not sorry to see her go based on those skits alone.

May 21, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. MattO

Thumbs up to all three of your observations, Pliny, except that I would add one word: Jagger has incredible comedy chops. I was more than pleasantly surprised. He was in every skit, too. I rarely watch that show, but I tuned in to see how Mick would do, and couldn't stop watching. And laughing. That skit about the Californians had me rolling, with Mick trying to do an exaggerated California dialect.

May 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Jagger, as 'Karaoke Kevin'....reciting 'Satisfaction'....was a revelation.

I've come to expect Mick to 'ham it up' at any/every possibility. But this was so restrained. So melancholy.

He played 'against type'....or 'against the Jagger-archetype'. I found that to be the funniest part of his performance.

May 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. JellyBean

McJagger was hilarious as Stephen Tyler!

May 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Pliny

3 things came outta that show.

1) Kristen Wigg will be missed.
    2) Jagger has comedy chops.
    3) Jeff Beck is still the best guitarist on earth.

May 21, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Benjamin Lopez

Beck was dynamic. Jagger is the most powerful Rock n Roll singer alive....even at his age.

May 21, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • closetiguana

4) Arcade Fire are still the most underrated band in rock.

May 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |