Kelly Preston: How I healed after losing Jett
May 16th, 2012

Kelly Preston: How I healed after losing Jett

It's been three years since the death of Kelly Preston and John Travolta's son Jett, and the actress reveals in a new interview what's helped her heal.

Preston and Travolta lost Jett at age 16 to a seizure when the family was vacationing in the Bahamas in 2009, a death that was understandably “unfathomable,” as Preston said recently on Lifetime's “The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet.”

"I've had enormous loss,” Preston, 49, said. “Nobody should have to lose a child. It's unfathomable. But I'm here to say that you can get through it. You can live again. You can want to live again."

It was the support of friends and family members that helped Preston recuperate, she told host de Cadenet.

"People were so beautiful - so, so extraordinary from all over the world," said Preston, who also has a daughter, Ella Bleu, and a son, Benjamin, with Travolta. "Everybody grieves in their own way. I felt at times [that] I was drowning. It felt like a sea of wet blankets. And I just peeled them off, layer by layer, so that I can now [say], 'I want to live. I love life. My life is beautiful and amazing. I've got amazing children, and Jett is so much a part of my life."

She also credited the teachings of her faith for helping her stay strong.

"In Scientology, we have what's called 'auditing,' and that helps you to address things in your life and to strip them away and work through them,” she explained on the show. “It's a path of spiritual enlightenment. Also, it helps rid the mind of painful experience completely."

Those at her church "literally held my hand and got me through,” she said. “I will forever be indebted. You never forget, but I feel like the weight of the world was lifted."

There are certainly still tough moments, "but I am able to live,” she added. “And to want to live. I can laugh. I'm - for the most part - happy. That's the greatest gift ever."

1. Bohème Chinois

Eating right is key to staying and keeping fit. The fact is that what you put into your mouth makes all the difference in how much you weigh and how you feel. I was also very fat once, and it was because I ate plenty of junk food. Then, I learned about a program called The 31 Day Fat Loss Cure that laid out a whole system on how to eat properly and exercise accordingly. I learned that eating starchy foods like whole wheat, oatmeal, rice, bread and other carb-heavy foods actually made you fat, despite being called "health" foods. I lost over 30 pounds in the first 31 days of this program. If you're interested in losing weight naturally without hours upon hours of boring exercise, I highly recommend looking at my review for this program below and giving it a try. There is a 60-day money-back guarantee, too. Trust me, you won't regret it!

Click the link below for more details:

June 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Peggy Fevola

I think its wonderful Kelly is moving forward and trying to live life. Jett will forever be in her heart and her mind every day of her life. She will never "be over it" as you dont "get over it" but you work your way through it as she has said. The support of family and friends and whatever faith you are in, is what will help you. God Bless you Kelly and John and your beautiful daughter and baby. May God keep giving you and John the strength to keep going. One day at a time will do it and your memories will turn to laughter instead of tears one day.

May 18, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Michael Calaizzo

We wish Kelly all the very best.

May 17, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. choocho

Why has this story keep geting re-released and re-repeated in the media every few months for the past 2 years? Every time there has been some negative news about Scientology in the media.

May 16, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jan Sangster

Preston is so in denial of her husbands 'antics' I feel very sorry for her. She needs to ditch that 'cult' she's in and get a 'real' life and move the hell on...just sayin'....

May 16, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. KBowen

Absolutely understand what you guys are experiencing. Had a baby girl,who by the way, was a perfect female...so perfect God kept her out of this sick world after 5 days in a Ft.Worth hospital. Family and friends are the key. As to the 'auditing' in your church, i have no knowledge; however, the 4th and 5th steps were essential as i worked the 12 steps of recovery. May God bless you, John, and the USA!!!

May 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. pmn

I am glad she is healing. Wish them both happiness and peace.

May 16, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dee

Just hope she can cope with the drama from her husband

May 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • pmn

Just shut it alright. Those allegations are nothing but opportunists again disturbing JT's life.

May 16, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Trish

@jeff the def, you're a pig

May 16, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. christy

Scientology should stay out of travoltas family!

May 16, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Janet

As a grieving mother who lost her only daughter two years ago as a result of congestive heart failure, I can relate to much of this. It is true that you never get over the death of a child, you only learn to live with it. You cannot heal from the death of a child. I will, on some level, be sad and brokenhearted for the rest of my days. Grief is a monster that we all must fight at some time during our lives. Grief is individual. I am choosing to deal with my grief in a healthy and productive way. Getting grief counseling so I know what I am feeling is normal and how to help my sons grieve as well. I am so thankful I had my beautiful, sweet daughter for 24 years and I know I will see her again.

May 16, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • HG

@Janet- I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a family member is always devastating, but a child is the worse thing in the world. They are always in your heart, so they never truly leave you.

May 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • kimberly

Janet,
      I lost my 24 year old daughter to suicide a year ago next week. I know my sweet Hailey is in Heaven and she is well and at peace and she no longer suffers. God rescued her from the demon of depression and brought her home where she now rests in the shadow of His wings. There will never be a moment that I will not miss her and long to be with her again. But I have 2 other daughters and 6 wonderful grandchildren! No one or no thing can replace this indescribable loss. It is only by the grace of God that I can get out of bed each day and cling to my faith in Christ to get me through. Is her memory enough? No not really, but I am thankful to have been blessed with the 24 years God shared her with me. I share your grief and pray for healing and peace to fill your grieving heart. May we both and all the other mothers who share our loss of a child embrace each day as a gift and draw our strength to press on from our Heavenly Father.
      Bless you,
      kimberly

May 17, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Debbie

So pleased your family has been able to work through such a loss. My heart has been with you!

May 16, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. tosha

Healed?...sorry, you never really 'heal' from the loss of a child, if you're any kind of human

May 16, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Jane

You can heal and still carry a scar on your heart. It doesn't make her less human to be able to stand up again and see the beauty in life even after unimaginable grief.

Don't assume that everyone copes as you do.

May 16, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • plainjane

Why are you bashing her?

May 17, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. Loren

Ironic. Scientology hates psychiatry. Scientology pushes auditing, which "helps you to address things in your life and to strip them away and work through them", just like psychiatry. Makes one think that religion is nothing but a con game.

May 16, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff the def

Preston might be old, but she still is a fine looking weenis receptacle.

May 16, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  16. Truth Hurts

As long as she makes it through okay that's what matters. Good for her... even if it is due to a cult.

May 16, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |