John Mayer: I lost my head for a little while
May 16th, 2012

John Mayer: I lost my head for a little while

If John Mayer has learned nothing else these past few years, it’s to keep quiet when he’s not singing.

The 34-year-old rocker - who admits he's suffered from a little disease affectionately known as "foot in mouth" - told Ellen DeGeneres a series of verbal blunders he made are responsible for "[rocketing him] into adulthood."

"I lost my head for a little while,” he said on Tuesday’s “Ellen” of some controversial comments he made two years ago about ex-girlfriend Jessica Simpson’s moves in the bedroom, his true feelings about another ex, Jennifer Aniston, and his thoughts about black women.

"I did a couple really dumb interviews and it woke me up," he explained of that “very strange time” in his life.

Mayer's on a performing hiatus due to his recurrent throat issues, which means no singing and apparently, little talking, and he's thankful for the forced break.

"I'm glad I actually stayed out of the spotlight," he continued. "Back then I would've said, 'Let me get out and do "Ellen" and explain myself.' It was like, 'No, idiot. Go away – be 33 and 34 instead of 28 for the fourth year.' "

And it looks like the singer won’t be saying a whole lot for a while longer: he’s moved away from the big lights of Hollywood and is now chilling quietly in the Bozeman, Montana area working on his next project.

"I can't sing, so I'm writing," Mayer said explaining that his throat issues have resurfaced, forcing him to cancel a tour and schedule another surgery this fall. "I live in Montana – middle of nowhere. It's really excellent. You get to a certain age where you prepare yourself for happiness. Sometimes you never remember to actually get happy. I remembered to get happy."

Mayer’s latest album “Born and Raised,” which the musician calls "the most honest and the most cohesive," will be released on May 22.

1. ORMUS elements really are a connecting channel between "spirit and also mind/matter" then they might work type of like the oxygen which connects us with all the resonance of sound. The ORMUS components can help the connection to spirit.

I'm extremely impressed together with your writing skills as neatly as with the structure in your weblog. Is that this a paid subject or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it's rare to peer a great blog like this one these days..

September 19, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dash Diet Plus

Love it . I've been looking for this info . Great information I'll check back for information in regards to Dash Diet.

September 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. A fan once upon a time...

Mayer was once a young, hungry, and creative artist. He wrote and recorded 'Room for Squares' and immediately gained my respect as the creator of one of the most new and fresh pop album in years. I have bought or checked out most of his work since and have been woefully disappointed. Maybe he needs to lose everything, live on the street, start over again and come up with a second great record.

June 14, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lolwut

I was worried that John Mayer hadn't found how to be happy but now I know otherwise and I can rest easy. Man, that's a relief.

June 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BlackGirl

John Mayer died (in my eyes) after the album Continum and that comment he made about Black Women. Now, since he has made his junket promoting his new album he has stuck his foot in his mouth not once...not twice...but multiple times once again. He needs to just go back to Montana and live as a Hibernating Frog because he will never be what he once was. Period.

June 14, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Moka

And little Taylor Swift lost her head a little bit when she wrote the song about him.

June 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Megan

At least he doesn't seem to be attention-hungry like some other celebrities today.

May 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lee Evan Tabas

He is a winner and will find his way back on top.

May 17, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Shellie

To me, this really looks like a case of "what goes around comes around". It terrifies me to think, however, that he may never sing again. He has "granuloma"-that doesn't just go away. I'm heartbroken that he hasn't been able to play on this round of interviews promoting the album. John never let's you down with a good song. I don't think he's"running away" to Montana. He's growing.
    What DOES really bother me is that his arrogance and self-absorbance hasn't seemed to change at all. I heard he said in an interview that, if you took away my guitar, the props, etc., you'll find the same person. I wonder if the record company and PR team are just telling him to say these "redemptive" things to sell the album. Who knows?

Let he who judges cast the first stone. He's still tall, dark and handsome and makes amazing music. I think he's got a long way to go and then perhaps we'll see his career bounce back. Meanwhile, he's sick and that's a very serious matter,even though he's trying to play it down.
    I forgive him and am eagerly awaiting to plop down my 15 bucks for his new CD next Tuesday. You go John!

May 17, 2012 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. morpheus

You will have to excuse kara. she is just another dumb khunt

May 17, 2012 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. reverand lewis

@kara. that is because what he said about black women is true. Heck ask any black man without their h e l l raising black woman around and everyone will tell you that all are biatches and mean and sorry in bed

May 17, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • BlackGirl

You must be one crazy s.o.b that no black woman would give the time of day. So we understand your point booboo...don't blame your lack of understanding and dare I say performance on black women. We have nothing to do with your issue.

June 14, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Delia

John is amazingly talented and hands down the greatest guitar player on the planet. He may have used bad judgement with some of the things he has said but I think everyone at some point in their life has said something stupid or something that they regret or just said something that did not come out the way that they meant it. He is human and he makes mistakes like everyone else that does not mean he should be punished for the rest of his life or go into hiding somewhere in the hills of Montana for it. I like the album. I think it's beautiful, straight forward and honest. The only thing missing for me is his great guitar playing skills. When I think of John Mayer – I think the greatest guitar player in the world. I wish I was hearing more of that. But he is using this time to work on new music and I will look forward to that. As for all that criticize him so harshly are you guys so perfect that you never made mistakes in your life? He is very remorseful for the silly things he said. Try some forgiveness.

May 16, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Red Corvette

"and hands down the greatest guitar player on the planet"

Well, he is pretty good with that thing, but I don't think I would go that far..

June 14, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mark

John Mayer may have used bad judgement on some of the things he said but he hardly deserves to be exiled to Montana for it. So many rock stars have said and done controversial things. John Lennon proclaiming The Beatles were "more popular than Jesus" certainly had a back lashing but he hardly got the treatment John Mayer has. Have we forgotten Kanye's stunt at the MTV VMA's. Certainly he did not use good judgement there. There are so many more examples, so why has John Mayer been made out to be this horrible person? He seems to be remorseful for the stupid things he said and he is certainly not a horrible person. Heal your voice John and get some rest. Work on some more great music but don't feel that you have to hide yourself.

May 16, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John "Oscar" Mayer

I love these Montana chicks. Man, the one last night... Good thing the paps aren't here to see what I'm really up to. Tiger's got nothing on me!

May 16, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kara

I agree with Quinnette, I was the hugest John Mayer fan. Loved all his music, every album, every song. Almost followed his tour for a couple cities and then that interview. What he said about Black women was ugly and mean. Really hateful. I almost deleted all of music from my iTunes library. I didn't, but I'll never buy another John Mayer album again, never see him and concert. What's so bad is he apologized about his comments about Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Aniston, but he never apologized to black women in general for what he said about us. He had a huge AA female fan base. It was just mean, hurtful.

May 16, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Mike

John is an incredibly honest guy and that honesty and candidness has gotten him into trouble before, we all know that. Love or hate him, the fact of the matter still resides that he is one of the most talented singer songwriters to come out in the last few decades and his abilities on a guitar speak for itself in the same light. Preferences are totally up to each individual but not recognizing the man's immense talents is extremely ignorant! "Born and Raised" is an incredible work of music and he'll win Grammy's as a result. I'd rather see a deserving talent like John's be successful than most of the junk getting released today. Right now he's THE most talented artist releasing music these days.

May 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. EDJ

Any half-talent can turn out a few good songs, but JM took it a step down the ladder by proving himself to be a self-important dewsh. Go ahead and stay away, Jon.

May 16, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Quinnette

As a singer and wanna be songwriter, I have always LLLOVED John Mayers gift and was terribly disappointed in his interviews, but particularly when he likened himself to "David Duke". I think disappointed and hurt because I believed that someone who could write so beautifully would have to be open to love period. Everybody has their preference but wow! Maybe it's the Southerner in me who despises anything resembling racism and am especially sensitive to the Klan, and unfortunately I have not listened to him since. Maybe in the future.

May 16, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Tammy Fisher

Just disappear John why don't cha?

May 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Clete

Lost your head for a little while...ok....give all of us a break and lose it again.

May 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. katie

this man can't sing anything bad...ly

May 16, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  22. John Mayer

Hey guys...I just wanted to re-assure (woah, that's a big word I just used) everyone that I will be back to make my same, mono-toned, awful music as soon as possible. I'm busy getting "happy" in Montana. You know what I'm talking about. Surely, if you listen to my music you do. Be sure to check out my new album, it will suck like the rest of them and make me much richer.

May 16, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • BlackGirl

Yeah, happy getting high on that "Hillbilly Crack" up in Mon-Tana...instead of getting the good stuff from the brotha's cuz they cut off his supply for dissin' their sistas. SMDH..

June 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |