May 16th, 2012

Jay-Z puts music on hold for time with Blue

Forget new music - Jay-Z's focused on being a new dad.

The hip-hop mogul is so enamored by his infant daughter Blue that he’s taking the focus off recording for the time being to spend more time with her.

The MC told CNN that he’s actually kind of surprised by his own decision to be a stay-at-home-rapper for now.

"I thought I would be really motivated with all the things happening and all the change, with a child in my life now, to get back in the studio," he said. "But I find that I'm really just motivated to just be with her."

And he's relishing every moment with four-month-old Blue.

"Fatherhood is fantastic, it's amazing," he said. "It's a real surreal thing, the joy that someone has at four months old. I know that it gets better."

Hov added to MTV that when he does hit the booth again, fans should expect to hear songs as expressive and insightful as “Glory,” the emotional tune he wrote about his daughter as soon as she was born.

"My music has always been like that,” he said of the sentimentality of his lyrics. “If you listen to 'Glory' and you listen to 'Regrets,' which was on my first album, side by side, it's exploring the same sort of emotions. It's just one deals with my mom, one deals with my daughter. My music has always been filled with those sort of emotions."

As we noted Monday, Jay-Z's set to headline a two-day music festival, which he's also curated, over Labor Day weekend in Philadelphia.

Post by:
Filed under: Jay-Z • Music

1. In Space

I've read some good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much attempt you set to create this sort of excellent informative web site.

May 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brandon

"My music has always been filled with those sort of emotions."

On to the Next One, his verse in Light Up, Run This Town.....lol

May 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MsNewJersy

If JayZ is so happy about fatherhood why is he not claiming his 6 year old son? He has an older child but Beyonce won;t let him acknowldge that child, Jayz Sucks for letting this women keep him from having a relationship with his son, i don't care to much for Beyonce either...I'm just saying.

May 17, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael Calaizzo

He is wonderful and we should show him the respect he is owed and commands.

May 17, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. joe ko tex

One of my fetishes is thinkin about celebraties taking a dump, especially Beyonce. I bet she squeezes out some really big t u r d s. Another celeb is J Lo. I can picture that beautiful phat butt sitting on the can poopin out lil balls of poop that looks like skittles. *sighs

May 17, 2012 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. InMyOpinion

Oh how it annoys me that he acts like this is his FIRST child! What about the little boy that LOOKS JUST LIKE YOU J-Z? Were you not excited about his birth? Oh, wait...I forgot he was born during the time you were still with Beyonce, so he doesn't count. Just pay the mother some huge monthly child support payment and forget he's your child? Really? If you don't believe it....folks, please just Google "JZ's son." HE LOOKS JUST LIKE HIM! Uggghhhhhhh! lol!

May 16, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joe

Damn that is one ugly father!

May 16, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • P Diddy Fiddy Giddy

Yup, hope the kid turns out better. The mom is uggers as well, so not likely.

May 16, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tonekinchloe

You would think that he would have automatically been there by his wife and kids side and not have to make an 'announcement' about it. We all know that with the money they have, the nanny will be the one raising that child. Only thing he will contribute is hi and bye as he comes and goes.

May 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. @ Diamond Dave

We will all wait in anticipation for your album to drop!

May 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mia in California

Some years back I heard that he had a child with a video chick from the islands. I saw a picture of a boy that allegedly was Jay-Z's. He really shared a strong physical resemblance to the man.

May 16, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DCInsider

Millions of black men are great dads and good people! Too bad the media, white America and black women paint them in such a dark light. Hopefully as more people like President Obama, Will Smith, Jay-z come into the limelight it will dispel the myths surrounding black men. And maybe White America, and black women will begin to take some of the responsibility for the woes in the black race especially those torts committed against black men.

May 16, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • saywhatnow05

So, let me get this straight, black men hold no responsibility for their own image of fatherhood? They are merely undeserving victims of white media and black women. Stop it!! Stop speaking in such generalizations. Not all white media nor all black women are out to frame all black fathers in a negative light. Just like not all black fathers deserve to be put in a positive light. Some black fathers do suck! You should really be speaking to those dudes, because they make the rest of you look like deadbeats. Mentor your peers rather pointing the blame and crying victim. Uplift rather than use divisive language. I'm a black woman, who has seen both good and bad examples of black fatherhood and I've never used those negative experiences to paint black men as bad fathers. When you make blanket statements about groups of people, it shows your narrowed view of the world. Unfortunately I believe that its going to take more everyday examples, outside of Obama and Will Smith to dispel that myth.

May 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Shaun

Doesn't he have an adult son? You NEVER hear about that one....Hmmmmmm????

May 16, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LC

TY jay z.

May 16, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ugh

Didn't realize 'making' music was having computers do the work for you while you babble nonsensical rhymes while your 'posse' cheers you on like a bunch of baffoons. Glad to hear you are taking a break... It's a nice way of saying "my music is complete sh!t".

May 16, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Kay

I'm not into rap music either, but I have to admit, I listen to 'some' of his stuff. Some of his lyrics are actually pretty powerful.

May 18, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. Diamond Dave

How about an indefinate break from your crappy music? You should have quit three albums ago

May 16, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |