May 16th, 2012

'DWTS' down to three after surprise elimination

Normally on "Dancing with the Stars," the celebrity with the highest point total should expect to advance to the next round.

Not this week.

TV personality Maria Menounos was bounced from the show yesterday, despite scoring 59 out of a possible 60 in her two Monday routines. Despite the surprise ouster, Menounos was pleased with how far she advanced on the popular ABC talent show.

"I learned how to dance, which was something I always wanted to do," Menounos told CNN after the show. "It was the most amazing experience of my life. I wouldn't take a second of pain back."

Menounos' pro partner, Derek Hough, also heaped compliments on the TV personality.

"We worked so hard and did everything we possibly could," he told us. "Every week was amazing; we got nothing but praise from the judges."

Menounos' elimination leaves three celebrities left for next week's finals: actor William Levy, singer Katherine Jenkins and football star Donald Driver.

To hear more from Menounos, Driver and their pro partners, click on the above video.

What did you think of last night's "Dancing" elimination? And with the show planning an "all-star" edition this fall, what celebrity from past "Dancing" seasons would you like to see return?

1. msbrandyrose

I did not like the idea of Derek and his partner being kicked off again this year. I know that last year they let them dance in the finals but took him out first. I have one question, at the end of the show last week one of the dancers had an injury and did not know for sure if they would be able to dance this week. Is there any possible way that that couple could be replaced with Derek and Nan? I have never seen it happen and I have watched the show since day one. Does anyone else wonder?

May 21, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shirley

Anyone else see Hines Ward with Kym Johnson in the audience? They don't usually show the pros sitting in the audience with previous celebrity dancers. Since Hines' manager was behind them, I assume it's a publicity stunt since his retirement. It was nice to see them together again though!

May 18, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Shirley

I think Donald has been underscored all through this season because of the black/white issue. I think the underscoring is deliberate. Especially when it comes to Len's scoring. The comment that he made to Peta to "really work him" rubbed me the wrong way. I don't think Donald will win – athlete or not! I don't think the public or Len would be happy with a very "strong-looking" black man winning with a white woman by his side. Just my opinion!

May 18, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • diana

what about Jerry Rice or do you have a short memory seems to me there are a few more black winners and all the pro's are so to speak are white, so strong black men do win on dwts

May 22, 2012 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Andrea

Why is it so suprising that Maria went home. All four dancers that were left are really great dancers, but someone had to go. I think that Donald Driver is really underrated and underscored on the show. Hopefully Len will finally give him a 10. I am excited about the final three and will continue to watch.

May 17, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pam E

And one more thing – what's betting that Donald wins? For some reason they like to have sports stars in it at the end – and if he wins, I'll never watch the show again!!

May 17, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pam E

Maria and Derek were robbed! Maria's lines have been amazing and they should definitely have been in the final!! While Katherine is a good dancer also, I think she got sympathy votes for her 'whining' after flubbing the end of her last dance. Obviously her back was fine judging by the jumping up and down when it was announced she made the final. Maria is one classy lady and I hope she knows she was THE best!!

May 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary J

When are people going to realize that the celebrity that goes home is NOT based on viewer votes? The producers decide who is leaving to boost ratings. Calling in to vote is a joke when you are supposed to be allowed 6 or 7 votes and it cuts you off at 2 saying you've reached your limit. This happened to me and other people I know for 2 yrs in a row so I quit voting.

May 17, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mukazzi

1. Why in the world would you think this was a "surprise"? Previous seasons have made it abundantly clear that HIGH scores mean nothing to the voting public (REGARDLESS of what 'cues' the judges throw out).
    2. Would this have been a 'surprise' if William and Cheryl were voted off? Mark and Katherine? Or...was the expected couple Donald and Peta?
    3. If anyone had been playing close attention all season, Maria was the 'wild card.' Take note: I did NOT say she could not dance; quite the contrary.
    4. Derek took two risks that caused a shift in her voting- the last being their Jive. Fantastic song ("Tightrope"), and I was waiting to see them work it out. Instead, it wasn't a proper Jive -at all. Len -who is such a stickler for proper content, noted it wasn't a real jive but he still liked it. Something was not right on Monday, and I believe the voters could see it. Even though William struggled with the dance, he did a Jive; Derek and Maria literally 'gave up' on Monday.
    5. Women vote for men. With Derek and Mark, it was a matter of getting women to vote to women. (Question: do you think Katherine swung the sympathy vote with Mark assuredly saying, "I've got you, I've got you?"). Another question: what if Mark and Katherine did NOT have the greatest number of votes? They were just the first couple to be featured.
    6. Certainly not least...there are four very good contestants, and I like the style of all of them.

May 17, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brygida

If you look at the average scores of the contestants, then the top 3 were chosen. Average scores are tabulated on Wikipedia for DWTS. If you look at the scores from past seasons, most of the time, the highest average scorers end up in the finals.... a couple of exceptions, but the typical is that the highest average scorers WIN! Isn't that what the dancing contest should be? I agree with the final 3. From the beginning, they were the ones I expected to be in the final 3.

May 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Debby

@be quiet........you should take your own advice

Mary, i agree completely, the rest are just also rans.

May 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. KingR

It was a disgrace to see better dancers (according to the judges) eliminated. If this is how it will be then the show is rigged, bogus or both.

Wish the best to Maria M.

May 17, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

I AGREE with you 100%. More and more I feel shows like this are "rigged" or "bogus". If you watch long enough you begin to see some of the oddities....... whether it is The Amazing Race or Project Runway. Thanks for speaking up.

May 20, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Felicia Stanford

I had this show recorded and was just able to sit down and watch. This year had some of the best dancers I've ever seen on DWTS. I loved all of these last 4 dancers and it would have been heart wrenching to try to decide who should leave/stay. I wish Maria all the best. She's a beautiful, classy, talented lady – and Eric is one of the most amazing dancers/choreograhers I have ever seen. Can't wait until next year – but in the meantime, I wish the last of the dancers all the luck in the world!

May 17, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Michael Calaizzo

this is when the show get's really inteesting.

May 17, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. jr

I'm done. No more wasted time on DWTS when superior scoring couples are eliminated.

May 17, 2012 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

I enjoyed the season, but won't be sad to miss the finals. The best choice is gone, the mirror ball goes to the also rans.

May 16, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Toothskull

Wonder how observer is doing on here. Heard he is a dancing fool.

May 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kay

Sorry DWTS, seems like the fix is in! Probably won't watch til next year!

May 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kristen

I think Maria was robbed and deserves a spot in the "All-Star" season this fall!

May 16, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Carol

They are all good...Maria was in some ways better, with the exception that she didn't have the fan base the others had or the fans that were willing and able to call in 20 times and vote for her. Doesn't mean she isn't a good dancer...and it doesn't mean the others aren't good either. I'd like to see the show eliminate the audience vote for a season and just have the 3 'experienced' judges vote. Not everyone would be happy with that, but, not everyone is happy with it the way it is now either.

May 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Debby

I am disgusted! There is no way they should have been bumped off. They are far and away the best couple! I voted for them every week!

May 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

"disgusted"? it's just a reality show. calm down.

May 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

I'm so sick of Derek honestly, I'm glad they got booted . . will be nice to see someone else win for a change. He used to be really fun to watch and yes, he's amazingly talented, but he has also gotten increasingly arrogant over the last few seasons; his bedroom antics take up more of the news than his dancing skills.

May 16, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jurby

i'm shocked that Maria got booted. wow, the voters obviously aren't voting for who is the best dancer. i'm guessing voters will vote William Levy to win due his good looks. this stupidity is why i don't bother watching nor voting for any of these stupid shows as they're nothing about talent but about looks/celebrity.

May 16, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • LucyRicardo

Good looks are nice to have, but the reality is no one can outdance a Cuban. The Cubans are responsible for a lot of ballroom and Latin dances - they originated in Cuba. Cha Cha Cha, Mambo (a precursor to Salsa), the Rumba, just to name a few. Derek was coming up with some pretty weird choreography and dances recently, and though Maria was good, I don't think they deserved to win based on those last few dances and their gimmicks.

May 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. HisStoryPal

Not Derek and Maria!! We were robbed! (spasm!) WTH kinda math are they using?!

May 16, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • LucyRicardo

Maria worked hard and did a good job, especially her Argentine tango. But sorry, some of that choreography with the other routines just was ridiculous - and they needed more and more gimmicks to survive each week. The Paso, the Bollywood and the Jive were lame.

May 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. 1twinsfan

I believe and hope Donald wins it. I love Katherine (Kathryn-sp?) but she seems to be losing steam each week. I don't find William to be light on his feet. Can't believe I'm rooting for a Packer but he's the best. Really good dancers this installment

May 16, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • donna

Donald driver has been hot from the start and the judges were very happy with many of his dances but held out several times with just a 9 including when he was invited to repeat the "Three way" yet did not get the 30 he deserved,. VOTE DRIVING MSPETA

May 16, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Wendy

Tough call when competion so tight – thrilled with final 3!! Audiene got it right!

May 16, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  24. Canadian Wayne

Well DTWS is a show I will not watch any more! This is not a dance contest, its a popularity contest. Maria was by far the better dancer. These scores the judges give out are a waste of time, so is the time slot, give it too another useless show like Duck Dynasty! Very disappointed!

May 16, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • jamie

The show has been a popularity contest from the very start - as are all celebrity shows that call on the people to make votes. People vote for the celebrities that they like best, not the ones that are the most talented. Case in point: Bristol Palin, a few seasons back.

May 16, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  25. Granville

If you don't call, don't bawl. Many people don't know you get as many votes as there are contestants. I wish all four couples could have been in the finals as maria really earned it. Good luck to all well deserved contestants. May the best dance win.

May 16, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |