'30 Rock' to end next season
May 14th, 2012

'30 Rock' to end next season

After much back-and-forth, it seems that "30 Rock" is, as was previously suspected, headed into its final season.

Last week it was widely reported that the sitcom was going to be picked up for one final, 13-episode season, although NBC didn't comment at the time.

But on Sunday there seemed to be a shred of hope for fans of the series, as the chairman of NBC Entertainment, Bob Greenblatt, said the show wasn't definitively ending next season. By Monday, that hope was lost.

The seventh season, according to the New York Times, will have 13 episodes as previously suspected, with the series finale being an hour in length.

"I know Tina [Fey], Alec [Baldwin] and the rest will deliver some of their best work," Greenblatt said of the show's last season, adding that the network "thinks the world" of star Fey and hopes that "she will be in the NBC family for years to come."

Tell us "30 Rock" fans - are you happy to have 13 more episodes, or were you hoping Greenblatt's statements on Sunday meant another season?

Filed under: 30 Rock • television

1. Tim

Shows like this will continue to be few and far between because the brain-dead masses are all watching "American I Dull" and "Prancing With The D-Level Stars".

May 16, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. ben

i don't even bother tivoing it anymore. a once great show is now unwatchable. loved it once upon a time but let its time to see it die

May 16, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Buzz Killington

About 2 seasons overdue. But at one time it was one of the best shows on tv. So they should be proud of that at least.

May 16, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. Atl23

Love the show although Tracy Jordan is the worst part of it, not very funny in it and to me seems like a horrible actor. NBC should spin off Queen of Jordan, that episode was SOOOOOO funny D'fwan and the feud with the baby was good entertainment I though!

May 16, 2012 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. BJD

One of the funniest shows on TV in the past few years, but has definitely jumped the shark. Everything comes to an end. I expect Tina will develop something new and Alec will continue to be everywhere.

May 15, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Artifex

The interminable hiatus after the last season was the last straw. The show had become increasingly unfunny as Liz lost her mojo and became nothing more than a Jack hanger-on. Alec Baldwin was about the best thing on the show, but best as a foil to contrast with Liz when she represented normalcy with surprising moments of lunacy that made you go "What??!?!".

May 15, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. svann

The show is too thick with subtlety for most Americans.

May 15, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AmericanPeasant

It is about time. Please stop re-running this terrible show on comedy central too. Its not funny, the acting is terrible, and the plot for the shows is just random. The fact is that the only reason anyone watches this horrible mockery of a show is because it has an A-list cast. If it didn't have the starpower it has it would have never made it past the pilot.

May 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. alf

The bright side is if they keep cancelling the shows I watch then I'll finally be able to cancel cable. Keep it up Neilsen Box.

May 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. 891263

both Fringe and 30 Rock are ending after 13 more episodes. What a great time for TV this is, they should cancel The Walking Dead while theyre at it and let unoriginal garbage TV fully take over.

May 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. eatapeach10

Lot of snide remarks. Sad. Personally, I love this show but am glad to see it going out on a high note. With Alec Baldwin's leaving of the show anyway, it would have jumped the shark (see The Office) to go on with different actors.

May 15, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. Give it up

Stop correcting everyones spelling! I get so sick of reading these comments where all people focus on is the fact that someone spelled something wrong or was gramaticly incorrect. Give it a rest ppl. No one cares about the fact that you can spell or speak perfect english (truth is you likely cant) Its not like they meant to spell comedy that way...who spells it comdey...it was a typing error...STFU

May 15, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • lessthanbubbly

*everyone's *grammatically *people *English *can't *It's

May 15, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • elfbutter

So, you're too stupid and/or lazy to pause for a second and check your spelling before you post something online? Great job! You're contributing to the decline of our civilization.

May 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • J0nx

You spelled a few things incorrectly and did not use an apostrophe indicating a contraction in this post. How do you expect anyone in life to take you seriously if you aren't even concerned about how you write and how you look to others with sloppy writing? Most of the time I won't even bother to read a post if I see serious grammatical errors in the first sentence. It just tells me that person is not intelligent enough to carry on a conversation and is probably not worth my time. Take this advice as you will...

May 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. duh

as previously suspected, the author has no thesaurus

May 15, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. @dime

We all know ur mother and peace are.

May 15, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. Observer

Good!
    It's a stupid show that nobody watches. Alec Baldwin can go back to being a bank shill.

May 15, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Rob

No, the show is not stupid. The problem is that the show is so subtly clever that most of the U.S. doesn't see its humor. Case in point – you.

May 15, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Obsever,

This is your life, isn't it?

You come here and do your one-trick-pony act...and that's it. Beyond this, you are a complete and total drone.

This is the only way you can have people react to you. In real life, people just ignore you, don't they?

My complaint is that you are so BAD at being you. You go thru your phases (liberal stooge), and rather than being even *remotely* entertaining with them....you just repeat yourself over and over and over and over. Change your name to 'boring observer'. Or...just kill yourself and do us all a favor. Make room for a troll with at least some talent.

May 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJ

And you call yourself "Observer"? The only thing you observed is that you don't watch the show. With that "mountain" of evidence you decided nobody watches the show. Nice.

May 16, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  16. Ruth A Mayer-Farella

Hello ! Have fun for Rock and Roll. Dance party, too. Great. Smile.

May 15, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  17. pjc722

this show snuck up on me slowly. I was never a fan of it in the beginning as I found it to be a little weird or trying to hard. By the second or 3rd seaason I was watching it sporadically but frequently enough that I enjoyed it. Now when i see it in reruns or ONDEMAND I jump at the chance to watch it. Alec Baldwin is amazing and to think that a show with comic geniuses like TIna Fey and Tracey Morgan that Alec wouldn't shine as well as he does and BETTER wouldn't be possible. But he does.

That doesn't mean the rest of the cast isn't amazing. They are. But if anything, this show is a representation to tv execs and the ratings people that shows today don't need 20 million.15 mill. 8 milllion people watching it be amazing, funny and kept into production! Thanks NBC for standing by it and giving me laughs. Can't wait for the finale! That I will watch the night it airs

May 15, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  18. Anton

Best show on tv. Give it two year 22 episode commitment.

May 15, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  19. Liz'ing

what THE what!??!? Loved it from day one. Here's where it went wrong. Too much focus on blondie and tracy scenes. She's not funny. Jack became too "ga-ga" over avery. She's hot, but he got too soft. Liz, always funny, and hot and nerdy with those glasses. kenneth was too...well whateve's on him. Banks needed more screen time to try and destroy Jack. Liz needed more BF's to cycle thru and fail with. Just an endless roll of BF's. no additional episodes, just date after date with funny scenes of why it didn't work out. Live episodes were different, but didn't work. Show needed to follow Liz's life more on her failures and the TGF show should of just been a small part of it. I'll be liz'ing on the re-runs. I-want- to-go-to-there.

May 15, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • DJ

It's all so subjective. You say Jenna isn't funny. I laugh my butt off at things she says and does. Someone else said Tracy isn't funny. I love that character and I get plenty of laughs from him, especially the unexpected in jokes he drops in that savant delivery of his. Personally, I think this show is character-rich. Almost all of the characters are interesting and funny. And someone else will think none of them are. Subjective.

May 16, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  20. decredico

this 'news' is almost a week old already

May 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Satisfied

I've been a fan of the show, but I'm satisfied with it going out next season. Although not as hilarious as the first few seasons, it's still a quality show and I'd like to see it go out that way, Letting it linger will create the danger of it turning into The Office, which is so poorly written now that I can't even believe it's the same show as the earlier seasons.

May 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  22. The end...

One of the qualities of a good show is knowing when to call it quits. Seinfeld and Cheers got it right while shows like scrubs lingered around well past their prime.

May 14, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • VashTS

yeah but the reason Seinfeld and cheers stayed great was because the cast and crew on both shows stayed pretty much the same through out their runs, scrubs sucked because the main cast started calling it quits. 30 rock is an awesome show with great potential. It seems sudden IMO to call it quits now.

May 14, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Both Seinfeld and Cheers hung on a couple of years too long, in my opinion.

May 15, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  23. Joe

It's time....

May 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jim

I'm a big 30 Rock fan, but it's definitely not as good at it once was. For the good of its legacy, it's probably better to pour lots of effort into a final season and tie things up nicely. I still watch, of course, so I guess, personally, I'd be happy if it stayed on for additional seasons.

May 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. warren

FUnny show! Everyone is such a hot mess!

May 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Chaz

It's about time, the show has definitely weakened in the last season or two. Hopefully they can go out on a Seinfeld high, rather than having the last season be a reminder, episode by episode, of why it needs to go away.

May 14, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Dime

Peace is still a c unt

May 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Shahid Wazir

Yes, I will be happy to see it end.
    It has repeated comdey.