Obama's same-sex remarks are talk of 'Battleship' premiere
Malin Akerman and "Battleship" director Peter Berg weighed in on same-sex marriage.
May 11th, 2012

Obama's same-sex remarks are talk of 'Battleship' premiere

Hollywood is still in a tizzy - days later - over President Obama’s announcement Wednesday that he supports same-sex marriages.

After his historic proclamation, celebs from the right and the left continue to weigh in on his controversial position.

The cast of the new film “Battleship” certainly had something to say about it Thursday night at the Los Angeles premiere of the film.

Star Brooklyn Decker said on the red carpet that she's "very proud and excited" about Obama's announcement. "I think it was a huge accomplishment for Americans, and I think it’s about time," she added.

Actress Malin Akerman (who isn't in the movie) echoed Decker’s sentiments.

“I think it’s great when a president stands up and says what he means,” she said. “I just feel like there is a lot of sort of wishy-washy comments in politics, and I think he took a stand, and I respect him for that.”

“Battleship” director Peter Berg, however, was a little more skeptical about the motivation behind the announcement.

“Two things: I’m all for it,” Berg said. “I think that ... 80% of what we hear from our president from now until the election is about votes. So somebody added up the numbers and said there’s however many male and female homosexuals in the United States, and they have however many parents."

To be clear, he continued, "I’m for them, and I’m for the marriage, but it’s all numbers now. So anything that happens, I'm like, ‘Oh, that must be a smart move.’ Somebody is looking at votes. That’s what I think.”

Elsewhere, round one between Bristol Palin and JWoww of “Jersey Shore” may have gone to MTV's reality star.

After the daughter of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin wrote a blog post in opposition of the president’s support for gay marriage, JWoww ripped into her via Twitter.

"Bristol should keep her uneducated, ignorant mouth shut,” the 26-year-old said of the 21-year-old mom. “If you're living in the past you wouldn't have a kid without marriage. Hypocrite. It's 2012!"

She wasn't done there, though. "My best friend will get married one day and not just have civil union with his man," Ms. Woww added. "Stop hating people."

1. fernace

Marriage should be between 2 consenting adults who love eachother & want to be a family! Polygamy, which is condoned by the bible & God, is also OK, providing all are Consenting Adults! Marrying family members, children, or pets will never qualify! No1 can marry family members in this country, for obvious reasons & children & pets can't give consent! This arguement is tired & makes no sense! Many nations have legalized gay marriage & the world has yet to come to an end! Wise up & stop the voluntary ignorance!!

May 13, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Politics as usual

@Zooey Botard: did you even read the story? CNN brought it up. God still loves everyone. He just doesn't want them to be stupid... or g@y.... or Democrat.

May 11, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. T Williams

Peter Berg, you've got to be kidding me. If this were a statement based on the popular vote and numbers, then he just came out for the wrong side! If he wanted votes, the naysayers would far outweigh those in support of gay marriage. I'm SO PROUD that a President of this country made such a strong statement because he believed in it. The government has no place in marriage. This is a free country!

May 11, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Zooey Deschanel

What sort of botards argue morality and freedoms on a story about crap-o-fest movie Battleship?

Honest, go blog on prop 8 you freaks.

May 11, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Politics as usual

This "evolution" of the president's opinion was carefully calculated to get votes. Is it a coincidence it was revealed right after the vote against gay marriage in North Carolina? Obama's strategists carefully craft his opinions for him. think about it.

May 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lewis

I'll dance any way you want...just gimme your votes!

May 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Yoda

Obi-wan..hot he is...marry I must....

May 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sassysticks53

Thank you President Obama for finally recognizing and admitting that people have a right to love and marry who they chose. This is about human rights!

May 11, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Let's get it on

1) I love my brother. We're both over 21. People have the right to love and marry who they choose?

2) I love three men and another woman, and they all love me. We all have the right to one big happy marriage?

3) I love my Great Dane. People have the right to love and marry who they choose?

See how crazy that is, you big silly? Moral relativists like to pretend they're open-minded and tolerant, but they're simply easily manipulable. It's a feeling and emotions based philosophy, ungrounded in logic and reason. When your morality is fleeting and transient, like the tides, I find you to be a flakey person.

May 11, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. The Creator

Human marriages to alien life forms should be recognized, like princess leia to jabba the hut! Stop the bigotry, you religious zealots! Let love rule the universe!

May 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Name*sara

Thank you Mr Presudent.....who are we to choose the path for others....judge not so you wont be judged...People should mind there own business and let others do as they please....will you loose any sleep if your gay neighbors were married?...If you do then YOU have the problem!!

May 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |