Jermaine Paul wins season 2 of 'The Voice'
May 9th, 2012

Jermaine Paul wins season 2 of 'The Voice'

If you pinpointed Jermaine Paul as the singer who'd be named "The Voice" this season, good call: The former back-up singer for Alicia Keys now has a recording contract of his own with Universal Republic, as well as $100,000.

"Winning would mean... the world to me," a nearly speechless Jermaine said before it was revealed that he was the winner.

The reveal was reality-show-slow, with Team Christina's Chris Mann coming in fourth place, Team Adam's Tony Lucca in third, and Team Cee Lo's Juliet Simms being the runner-up, just four percentage points behind Paul.

Although Entertainment Weekly notes that Juliet appeared to be the one to beat, the New York Times points out that it's likely Jermaine quietly had this win in the bag for much of the season, when you take into account how brutal the elimination process can be. (Fans of Jesse Campbell and Lindsey Pavao, here's where you commiserate.)

The Times observes that the 32-year-old from Spring Valley, New York started "The Voice " as a "slick and burly" crooner, but "ended the season an underdog brimming with hope," and you could see how moved and shocked Paul was when he was announced the champion.

With his family on stage embracing him, Jermaine at times couldn't make it all the way through his reprisal of R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly" as he stopped for congratulatory hugs, soaking in the moment.

Backstage, Jermaine revealed to CNN who's at the top of his list to work with now that he's no longer in the background, as host Carson Daly pointed out.

“Cee Lo [Green] is amazing," the new "Voice" winner told us. "Definitely an amazing dude. I can’t wait to work with him! I’m claiming it right now. He didn’t say anything but we are going to do a song. We are going to do something together. I promise you it’s going down."

We look forward to it, Jermaine! And we also caught up with Adam Levine about the drama he and Christina Aguilera have been a part of this season, to which the Maroon 5 singer told us seemed more intense than it really is.

"I’m not really wired for beef," Levine said. "And so I don’t have any. I just hope that it can all be good. I think that it is. I hope it is."

Part of the issue with Tony Lucca was that Christina Aguilera thought he had something of an unfair advantage due to the support he received from their former "Mickey Mouse Club" co-stars, but when you think about it, other contestants had show biz pasts as well, including winner Jermaine and the season 1 title holder, Javier Colon.

What do you think of the contestants having history in the industry? And were you pulling for Paul to win? Let us know in the comments!

1. Over Gravity

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbIG0jJVEkM&w=640&h=390]

May 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Angelheart

Congratulations to Jermaine he was ONE of my faves – being a fan of opera, I was certainly hoping that Chris Mann would win, but having said that Chris has received more exposure as well as the others and will go on to have great careers.

I was very disappointed that the US people who actually voted for Juliette (what a horrible singer), don't now how she beat out the guy, but I live in Canada and don't have a vote.

Congrats to all

May 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jax

Jermaine was my fave from Week 1...I had the pleasure of seeing him and Team Blake (his final 4) at the Fonda Theater. To say that Jermaine is an entertainer, is limited...he OWNS the stage when he's performing. His vocals are amazing and really run the gamut from R&B to pop/rock. I personally cannot wait to hear his original songs.

May 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bookenz

Jermaine Paul winning...seems off to me. I have to wonder how much help he got with his show biz contacts like Alicia Keys.

May 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NC Mom

When you get down to the last group they all have great career opporunities ahead of them. I liked Germaine and thought that he deserved it. Juliette will have an album out in a flash because she's great too.

May 10, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Aaron Chaney

Romney vs. Frankenstein (Obama)

Put simply, better the devil you don't know. Vote Romney.

May 10, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • surla

Shocked by Paul's win. Certainly not the best. Sims and the others were much more diversified for the music industry.

May 10, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Bookenz

You're an idiot. And you've been posting this in every blog.

May 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lauren

I just think it was downright mean and very unprofessional for the "judge" booby showing C. Aguilera to keep slamming Tony Lucca. Although I was a Jermaine and Chris fan, I thought she was immature and rude in her comments made on national tv and he did NOTHING to her but compliment her. I may not watch the show again if she is on it. she makes me sick with her vulgar outfits and selfish, mean comments. I find no humor in her. Adam, Blake and CeLo are pros,. As for her? I wouldn't buy one of her stupid records.

May 10, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Bookenz

I agree about Christina–kept wondering why she was dissing Tony Lucca. Bet they have some history. But Christina does provide some comic relief with those hats. And that tiara–too funny.

May 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. yvie

I was pulling for Juliet all along until this last week when Jermaine had his moment. Then I realized no one was going to beat him. Good on him, he deserved to win! Still love Juliet though, she just didn't pick the right song for the big finale, too bad, but that's the way it goes down, people vote for the best performance week by week.

May 10, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. bho

Juliet was way better

May 10, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. thebarf

did you catch those crazy credits? who can read that fast?!

May 10, 2012 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Danielson

Never like Jermaine though he I wanted to like him. He put out lots of effort and a class act, but I don't want to ever hear him sing again.
    Jesse got screwed by Christina. The other judges were rightly stunned by that idiotic choice. He would probably have had a great shot at winning, but apparently something he did set off here diva ego. Too bad, but if he puts and album together I'm guying it.

May 10, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Ambivalent

Agreed that Jesse was screwed. He could have won and it did not make sense when Christina dropped him.
      However, I am happy for Jermaine and wish all of them the best.

May 10, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. JFG

Jermaine deserved this win. Each song he sang from the beginning just got better as the season went on. Those that talk about ego, should definitely check their own because you are sooooo way off. Jermaine was one of the more humble of the contestants and given his background was surprisingly welcome. I won't criticize any of the other contestants, but felt that each of the finalists on the finale sounded better than the "visiting celebrity stars." I have never watched this show until Jermaine took the stage. He has what it takes to garner an audience's attention. He is so engaging and you can't hear enough or get enough of him once he hits the stage. I wish him nothing but the best in his journey and I have no doubt we'll be hearing a lot of him. Congratulations to Jermaine and The Voice for recognizing talent!!

May 10, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jason Glugla

It kind of seems like a guy who was already a professional singer won a contest to become a professional singer.

May 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • JFG

He was a background singer to a "professional." This is his time to shine and become a "professional."

May 10, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. justbeachy

This is a great show - real talent compared to American Idol tryouts. I think 3 of the 4 were great - and I also believe it came down to the right 2. Tough call - but then again, I would bet all of them will wind up with a great deal / future. I wish them all well...all very talented!

May 9, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DLT

Jem–I don't mean to be rude, but I believe you must be tone-deaf. If Jermaine couldn't sing, then Alicia Keyes wouldn't have hired him for back-up. He has an incredible voice & range. He never swallowed his words or couldn't be heard above the music like so many of the other vocalists. He was always spot-on, practiced, and ready for every musical number. He truly deserved to win. Chris Mann is truly talented, and Juliet is headed for rock stardom, but this was Jermaine's time to shine. Congratulations!

May 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Demonocrat

You know, I was torn between Jermaine and Juliet, but I picked Jermaine from day 1. Not only did these two have great voices, but they were both great on stage. All the negative things that are being said about Jermaine here, I'm sorry I just don't see any of em. I think he's a natural R&B singer with a powerful voice, but more importantly he can convey so much feeling and emotion in his performances. That's a very valuable skill. Juliet, well I'll buy her album when it comes out, because that's the style of music I like. I've really dug her voice from the start and in the end I was pulling for her.

Jermaine was also consistent all the way through. The fact that it was as close as it was says a ton. As someone said, the majority of voters on these shows are women, which gives male singers an edge. Also, I think that Jermaine's R&B style was more appealing to the younger crowd who does most of the voting. In the end it was a great season with great performers, and short of sour grapes, I don't know how you can say that Jermaine didn't deserve to win.

May 9, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jk

I really thought that Juliette had it in the bag, so I didn't vote. I think that is what happenned to a lot of people, which led to her loss. I am so sorry that I skipped this one; maybe I and others would have moved Juliette to the top. Jermaine is OK, but he is predictable, sings very well, but nothing unique and you can tell his background as a back-up-singer. I am more upset with the fact, that I, like others, could have changed this win. Maybe I should compare it to politics, if you don't vote, don't complain about who wins.

May 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrskool

DITTO JK – i just ASSumed Juliet was going to win it all ... bummer ! :(

May 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Michelle

I was pulling for Jermaine from early on and I am thrilled that he won. He is a strong singer who demonstrated that he could sing different types of songs, and sing them all well – I Believe I Can Fly, Soul Man and God Gave Me You all in one night. I thought Chris Mann had an amazing voice, but he was too one-dimensional and really lacked a presence on stage. Tony and Juliette never really impressed me.

May 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. sassysticks53

I was pulling for Juliette (a young Janis Joplin, imo) after Jamar got the boot. I wasn't even paying much attention to Jermaine. Juliette, Jarmar and some of the rest will have a recording contract soon, I hope. Congratulations to Jermaine!

May 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremiah Jackson

These reality style singing shows are overrated and a total sham....these winners never HARDLy make it to anywhere......There are a few, VERY FEW exceptions but it is mostly themselves and not the show...The show ONLY is concerned with making MONEY>.......Hence the millions these shows pay the hosts and judges...COME ON....it is a SHAM!!!!

May 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackie the Jokeman

I was pulling it TO Julia!

May 10, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. Chris

Deck will always be stacked against the woman. Women are the ones that vote on these shows. The woman has to be completely better than the guy in order to get the win. It is no accident that there were 3 guys in the final four despite the talented women on this show.

May 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Piscesgal609

This was my first season watching this show. I was really rooting for Juliet and Jamar, not to knock Jermaine but she had flare. I'm pretty sure she'll be signed with some big company very soon.

May 9, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. kgk

Let's face it; they will all have the opportunity to release an album and some (or all) will be succesful. The real issue is how disrespectful Christina was towards Tony. Not only did she ruin it for Chris, she showed America how truly petty and selfish she really is. Even when they performed, all the other coaches made it about their team or finalist. Christina made it all about her. And the way she dressed...really! So glad Chris came in last.

May 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

Wholeheartedly agree! Christina was obnoxious and so ignorant.It was obvious that she did not want Tony to win.I wish he had have won just to spite her.Also,put some clothes on!

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  23. PREIF

We heard many good voices, inlcluding the winner, but the raw and unique voice of Juliet Simms will carry her above and beyond the fanfare of The Voice!

May 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Dilyah

I am so happy that finally the voice is choicing the right winners and america is voting fairly. Heck yeah Jermaine was the one to beat after chriatina let jessie go. American idol, dancing with the stars, top model, fashion star and america got talent need to take notice and x factor too, that we the people want outstanding artist to vote for and we are equally pleased when they win as they should. Great job jermaine and the voice. See ya next season. Congrats team blake

May 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Laya

Didn't think Jermaine would make it this far. Not because he can't sing but he just really never grabbed my FULL attention. I think everything going on with the Chris/Adam/Tony drama definitely turned a few votes away. Tony probably signed his death warrant on the show with the song choice of 99 problems. Congrats to Jermaine! I will be watching next season. Voice over AI any day.

May 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Piscesgal609

To Laya – yeah I didn't get why Tony chose that song. I mean I liked the way he changed it but I was very surprised.

May 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Patricia

I was absolutely thrilled that Jermaine won. He is the same as all the other contestants, he had a dream, he has a family, why shouldn't he have the same chance to win? Anyway, way to go Jermaine! Love you, man!

May 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  27. songdude

Being a singer myself my whole life, I do not think a show on a national network should allow proffessional singers who have had a carreer already, enter a ameture talent show. These singers should not compete with someone that has only been singing in thier bedroom per say. It truly is not fair. There can be another show created for people who have once been on a lable or a national tour or tv show. Call it.. Has been? or should of been.

May 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • texasfan

Problem is, if we only allow in amateurs we never would have seen the likes of Dia Frampton, Racquel Castro, or Nakia. That's one thing I really look forward to on The Voice: real talent. If you want amateurs there's always American Idol, America's got talent, and The X-factor (all shows, I'm personally sick of)!!!

May 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spenser Amadeaus

Where did you learn to spell?

May 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Demonocrat

I hope this show keeps using singers who've had experience, because it's a different dynamic from other shows. The recording industry is tough, I think it's cool that this show can give people a leg up who may have been struggling for a long time. The Voice was never billed as amateur talent and if you're going to base the whole show on who has the best voice, whatever that means, you want some of those slightly seasoned vets to mix things up.

May 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenny

Songdude,

I totally agree. I thought these shows were to show off undiscovered talent. On Britain's Got Talent one year, they had the kid who sang at Michael Jackson's funeral. Now, if he was going to be discovered, wouldn't it have been then when millions were watching. He got nowhere on BGT. Another lady in Australia was on the voice and her dad was a famous musician. She got nowhere either. They already have connections, most people don't and they should have the shows for those who don't. I have always thought this so thanks for posting and saying what you did.

May 10, 2012 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  28. Mistylynn

Just plain out right awesome!!!!!!!!!!

May 9, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Libby

I am THRILLED for Jermaine Paul. The show is called The Voice for a reason...you have to be able to promote that voice in more than one genre of music and he did just that. I don'tr like the screamer type music and I definitely think Christina's antics caused Chris Mann to lose, although e is only an Opera singer. As for Tony Lucca I think he will have no problem securing a contract.

The only other comment I'd like to make is that Christina REALLY needs to work on her wardrobe choices, most of her outfits do not do a husky girl justice.

May 9, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Toad 390

Christine should have sung " The Way WE WERE". WOW, who is giving her dressing advice. Really looked bad on more than one occasion.

May 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. suzibee

MELANIE AMARO WON X FACTOR USA AND SHE IS AWESOME!!!!!
    CHECK HER OUT ON YOU TUBE...
    So, there are people who win these shows that can really sing!
    When her CD comes out people will be blown away...LISTEN!

May 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Ashes

Jermaine deserved to win. He had the BEST coach. I also love Adam, but Blake is down to earth and knows what he is doing, So happy for Jermaine!!!

May 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  32. rjrock

I was surprised that Jermaine won. Great voice, but very vanilla. I expected Juliett or Tony to win. Wondering what impact the Christina, Tony, Adam thing had on the results.

May 9, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aardie

I agree totally. Jermaine has a good voice but he never excited me enough with a performance to download one of his songs, though I downloaded about ten from this season.

May 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Tom Jones

Knew it would be close between Juliet and Jermaine ... can't believe Luca beat out Chris. Great show ... great finale!!

May 9, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. lady82faye

I was hoping it would come down to Jermaine and Juliet. I would have been happy if Juliet won. I wish they both could have won, though! I love their uniqueness!

May 9, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  35. sykravitz

Finale was excruciating. Dull! All I got out of it is that Blake Shelton is the Man. Jermaine is good, but Shelton had the ear to select him. Jermaine should be congratulating Blake 1000 times. Lots of country fans voted for Jermaine because of Blake. You're movin too fast, Jermaine.Check that ego. Music biz has enuf big egos. So Go, Juliet! You have a better chance of making it big than Jermaine.

May 9, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. marcia

the show was awesome, and i think the choices were fair in the end, but why wasn't jesse campbell included in the
    finale? his choice? or the show's producers? lindsey was the only one who didn't deserve to be there. almost always
    flat, and too shy for the business! loved the first number with jermaine, and the boys!!! well done! oh, also justin beeber?
    total attempt at getting the 'kids' to watch. he can't sing!!!

May 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Skeptic

good that they have to sing with their own voices (no gimmicks). That being said, I still think it's rigged somehow. soon we will all be tired of these talent shows.

May 9, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  38. CH

All these reality shows only make starts out of the hosts. When was the last good talent pumped out by any of these signing shows?

May 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meow

Kelly Clarkson, Chris Daughtry, Carrie Underwood, Katherine McPhee, Jordin Sparks, David Archuleta, and Adam Lambert. Need anymore?

May 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Newel

Meow...don't forget amazing Jennifer Hudson. Congratulations Jermaine!

May 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Marlaina wycoff

Congratulations

May 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Lulu

They'll need great songs to be successful. Their voices are good but not extraordinary.

May 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  41. djonair

Love the show...Love the winner!!

May 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Lee

Tony should get a hosting gig

May 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jubei

Does anyone sing without screaming anymore?

May 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  44. tct

Uh.. not one mention of his mentor Blake Shelton. Fix it.

May 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  45. erich2112x

Last years winner sure fizzled after the show. Album sales have been quite dreary for that guy– can't, for the life of me, even remember his name. Eventually that will be the key to this show's success or failure–Are they actually spawning new superstars, or is it just an over hyped talent show?–we'll see.

May 9, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  46. Amazed

I'm a rock n' roller at heart but Jermaine's deserved to win. Juliet is a great vocalist with extreme talent and I am sure she will be picked up by a record company along with several others who did not make the cut. Lindsey Paveo, weird voice in my opinion but if she would sing like a human and not a robot, she could go far. Congratulation Jermaine. Enjoy your sucess. You deserve it.

May 9, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  47. Kathy

SO glad Jermaine won!! YOU SO DESERVED TO WIN!!!

May 9, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  48. Ralph

It totally SUCKS, Juliet was clearly much better than all of the other contestants and by far should have won. I will not watch this biased show again!!

May 9, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Confused

How can you call the show biased? The winnner was voted by people who called in? If you didn't, you are partly to blame for your preferred person not winning. The only thing biased on the show is Christina's opinions about the other contestants – she is disgusting!!

May 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Tashia

The right person won. Congrats Jermaine!!

May 9, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  50. Aquarian

I'm happy he won. Juliet was a screamer. Chris was good, but I think Christina hurt his chances because of her
    behavior. Good luck Jermaine.

May 9, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  51. karen

I am glad Jermaine won I thought it would be a toss up between him and Juliette and I would have been happy with either one both are great singers. I have a lot of new respect for Blake Shelton and his coaching style. Great final.

May 9, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  52. Tanya

I knew that he was going to win. He has an amazing voice and desrves to be up front. Good luck with everything that is to came and i look forward to a record soon.

May 9, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  53. Ally Cole

The right person won congratulations Jermaine,you deserve it.

May 9, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  54. Pete Clarying

Luther Vandross was once a back up singer to the incomparable Roberta Flack,maybe Jermaine Paul will be very successful.

May 9, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  55. S U C K E D,

He did. Wrong person won again.

May 9, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

The right person won. If you wanted some one else to win you should have rallied for them on facebook or twitter. I wanted Juliet to win but I am still happy with the results. And she may have not won but I am definitely going to support her when she releases her album.

May 9, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Aquarian

Sour grapes..

May 9, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • jem

Totally agree. I'm not sure what all these Jermaine fans were listening to but it sure wasn't what I heard. When he actually hit the right note, he was OK but those moments were few & far between. He is easier on the eyes than Chris Mann and more charismatic than Tony Lucca, but if you're on a show called 'The Voice", shouldn't that be the deciding factor?

May 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |