Jennifer Lopez: I'm open to adoption
May 8th, 2012

Jennifer Lopez: I'm open to adoption

Jennifer Lopez has never adopted, but she still used a personal experience to play a woman who chooses to adopt in the upcoming film, "What to Expect When You're Expecting."

Lopez, who in real life is mom to 4-year-old twins Max and Emme, portrays Holly, a woman who desperately wants to have a child but faces fertility issues.

"I actually did know those feelings, because I wanted kids so badly and I felt like I couldn't have them either," Lopez told CNN Saturday.

"It just wasn't happening for me after I got married, and I was just like, 'Maybe I'm not supposed to have them,' but I wanted it so bad and so that was kind of my way into her character," she said.

And as for the adoption part, the movie opened her eyes to what the experience of adoption could feel like.

"Toward the end, when they first introduced the babies to us, they [brought in] these two little Ethiopian twins," Lopez recalled. "And we held them and you really see how you could love a child that is not your own that you've never met before with the hopes of raising it as one of your family [members]."

The experience made such an impact on her, the 42-year-old told "Access Hollywood," that she's now more open to adoption.

"After this movie, yes, I could see myself definitely doing it and being open to it for sure," she said. "You know what I mean? Whereas, before I never thought about it really.”

And as for stars like Angelina Jolie and Madonna, who both have chosen to adopt, Lopez told CNN, "I commend them for it. I think it's a beautiful thing. I think it's a very selfless act of love to adopt a child who you don't know and [have] never seen before and never met before."

“What to Expect When You’re Expecting,” which also stars Cameron Diaz, Chris Rock, Dennis Quaid and "Glee" star Matthew Morrison, arrives in theaters May 18.

« Previous entry
  1. G;ynne1964

Didn't she already adopt some hunky guy? I mean after all she is old enough to be his momma!!

May 9, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
    • chefdugan

I'd adopt her if she would get rid of that incredibly large rear end.

May 9, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  2. Marc Anthony

Adopt kids to show them they can have multiple partners and have kids from 20 different men.

May 8, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. martha stewart

I BET WHEN J LO TAKES HER CLOTHES OFF THAT HER BUTT LOOKS LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE MOON WITH ALL THOSE CRATERS ON IT.....PHAT BUTT SKALLY WAG

May 8, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ArchieDeBunker

I didn't read the article – just the headline. I didn't know she was an orphan, but I'd like to adopt her . . . . . . .

May 8, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NetNinja

Good she can adopt Puerto Rican babies. There are tons of under privllaged kids in Puerto Rico.

May 8, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Talent Agent

Don't be exclusionary. The Hollywood trend is to adopt one of each ethnic group, like the deck of the starship Enterprise, to demonstrate multicultural harmony, tolerance, and diversity. Race, gender, and orientation must be proportionately represented. Madonna and Angelina are your role models.

Of course, if you can only purchase one, get a dark one, like Charlize or Sandra. Chihuahuas are out, darkies are in.

Of course, they'll all grow up to be losers, sort of like the third world in real life, but this is the Hollywood trend.

May 9, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. patrick ewing

She should adopt some talent.

May 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Fed Up

Nice publicity stunt. Slow news day.

May 8, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jujubeans

She can adopt me! As long as she promises to breast feed.

May 8, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. batcrapcrazy

Why would I want to adopt Jennifer Lopez?

May 8, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nicole

You all obviously cared to waste your time reading & then commenting on this post, so obviously we all keep JLo, Kim Kardashian and other non-celebs famous. I don't know what it'll take for us to completely ignore articles on non-stories, but we can all try to ignore. I know I will.

May 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. joe destefano

tacos are the answer

May 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bbx

J Lo adopted Ben Afleck for a couple of months and she dumpled him at the end. Anyhow she has no future and will end up in HELL.

May 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Derpederp

When is J Lo going to go away? Who cares if she's open to adoption or has a young studdy boy toy or if she has goosies or drives a Fiat through the ghetto or if she has a wardrobe malfunction or if she has a cheap clothing line at Kohls???

Ugh.

May 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Skeptic

Would you be open to just taking a break from the spotlight for a while and just be quiet? You don't have to put in your "2 cents" every time you turn around. Geez, give it a rest.

May 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dee`

tell jennifer lopez that the mom of those ethiopian babies hurts as much as if someone took her two children and
    said a couple/ or single person 'needs' them in ethiopia! adoption is soul murder!

May 8, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  16. k

Wow what double standards in society! A woman can't date a younger man, but the men do it all the time! What about Alec Baldwin and Bruce Willis these girls are young enough to be their daughters!

May 8, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • batcrapcrazy

Probably because younger women are really hot and younger men are usually rediculously immature.....

May 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Happy

Ok Media ask her tough questions like.
    Are you a good example for your children in dating a younger man who could be your son,
    Have you though about the long term damage this may cause your children.
    Really, ........

May 8, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  18. Mark

Adopt ME! Feed ME! I'm 43 years old :D

May 8, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. suzanne

What she needs to do is be a mother to her own children. Seems to me that she is doing so many things in her profession that she leaves little time for the children....who really require more than she has to offer. Now she wants to adopt....give me a break.

May 8, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  20. itsallgoodnroanoke

Oh No! Your personal life is a HOT MESS! 2222 many men in your life. You are not taking care of yours now anyway, The NANNY is. Adoption, Oh hell no! LOL

May 8, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  21. Skerritt

I am so sick of these people (celebrities) treating adoption as if it's some new fashion trend...beneath them one moment, and all the rage the next. As an adoptive parent, I didn't take out a full-page ad announcing my intention, or do an interview with Billy Bush to garner some more [self-serving] publicity. Now clearly I am not famous so no one cares what I think, but that's exactly the point.

Seriously Jen, who cares what your views are on this subject, or any other for that matter? Please...just sing, dance, act, or whatever it is you do that makes miserable mid-western housewives care one iota about anything you do.

May 8, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |