Ke$ha talks her next album: Some will be shocked
May 4th, 2012

Ke$ha talks her next album: Some will be shocked

Ke$ha isn't the typical glamour girl pop star, but as she tells V magazine in a new issue, she's completely cool with that.

The 25-year-old singer says unlike most other female stars - who drop lots of dough on stylists and trips to the beauty salon - she embraces her wild and crazy looks and is happy to drive in a lane designed just for her.

"There are the pop stars of the world and then I'm like their dirty little sister,” Ke$ha says, “running around with s*** on my face in combat boots because I can't walk in heels.”

The Tennessee native adds, "I do feel like there is an element of what I'm doing that is about where I come from, which is working-class. I was never the cool kid, I was never hot in high school. I was never popular. You don't have to be perfect to be rich and you can still be successful."

Ke$ha, who sold 15 million units of her first album - is now toiling on her second one, which she says she’ll drop later this year.

"The first record was all me living in L.A., trying to pay my rent, [and] have a really good time and look good on nothing,” she says.

But since those days, she continues, “I've seen how many people my music can reach, and I've realized that I have somewhat of a social responsibility to make sure everything I say is positive. The underlying theme of this next record is warrior - with the positive message behind that everyone has a warrior inside."

Some fans, she predicts, will be "shocked" by the new sound.

"Some will also be excited to know that I don't just do silly white-girl rap," she adds. "I'm from the South. I have a lot of soul. But trust me - it's not going to be some avant-garde jazz record. I innately write pop songs. That's just what I do."

1. Aina

Great post, Karl. I popped over from Shelli's. I don't bivleee in the death penalty either, but I'm pretty sure I could easily poke my thumbs into the throat of anybody who molests a child. It's the most hateful, vicious and cowardly of crimes, and I'm sorry for what you went through.I made a donation, but I didn't see where to reference the number, your name, and website, so I emailed it to the address they use for PayPal. I hope that takes care of whatever administrative process you were hoping for.Again, great post.

July 15, 2012 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. SL

People never cease to amaze me. Happens with everything I suppose... "closet" fans. They don't seem to think much of Kesha at all... yet they took the time and effort to read the article AND post a message! Personally if I don't care for someone (or their particular talent) I tend to not waste time reading about them and I especially don't bother with the time to post a message unless they were making a political statement that deserved a response. We seem to have closet fans here... put her down... but KNOW ALL ABOUT HER. heh.

May 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bex

Apparently being an idiot is good enough these days to be a famous "pop" star. She's just exploiting what has been done in punk rock years ago. Her music is some of the worst crap I've heard. If people actually enjoy her crappy music, kudos to them. I guess if I was a dumb post-2000 teen girl I'd be cursed to appreciate this or hopefully I'd be born with a brain and find real music.

May 15, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • DSS

No – not it at all, most people come to read the comments section.... that is all -

May 21, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kevin

her thighs are too big

May 7, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jason

Her new album will probably be some kind of pseudo-hard edged Dub Step crossover and it will be just so "shocking" because of the dirty basslines!

May 7, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobo

American Lithium Corp.

May 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Deepdiver

Can you say annoying shrill and thin autotuned voice? Let's hear her sing without a microphone up close. Talk about dirty. That must be why she is called the dirty little sister, because her voice is so dirty and out of tune.

May 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • FY

what's wrong with you all, you say *degradation of men* so you saying men can talk trash and s**t bout women and they should agree with that? wake up stupid people, were in 21st Century, at least a woman *have the balls* to talk like that! about that!! and what's up with her style? If you don't like it its ok, you actually don't know what kind of person she really is so you can't either talk s**t about her, or her style, I bet you're just to jealous because you will never be as succesfull as her in your whole crappy life.

May 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dave

You are wrong. Ke$ha is Rocks' BORING little sister. Nothing new, nothing earth shaking, just more of the same crapola in the Madonna, Gaga, Perry, inane vein.

May 7, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. C

Kesha sucks, if her last "album" didn't prove that her next pile of crap will.

May 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. StickyGoo

Oh, your a dirty girl, alright. Very dirty.

May 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • emeldoes

she need to learn to keep her self clean for the pupil.What the hell.

May 9, 2012 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. rh

Attention ho. Next story, please.

May 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. emma96

She will end up drugged up, washed out and then dried up – an not a bit too soon.

May 7, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jim in PA

There are many ways this girl could shock me. Her next album could feature her as a bassist in a speed metal band, a percussionist in a ska band, or playing slide guitar on a Mississippi delta blues revival album (recorded in single track). That would shock me. But most likely she will issue a CD of bland contrived pop; which needless to say, will not shock me.

May 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zed

Some will be shocked, but God willing, most simply won't give a [fecal matter].

May 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

With a name like Ke"$"ha..you have zero credibility.

May 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mrmagoo

I thought she was a one hit wonder?

May 7, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

and what hit would that be? The only hits she be making is hits off the crack pipe it seems...

May 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Eddie O.

$kank i$ a$ $kank doe$.

May 7, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Scott

I just popped a nut at the sight of Kesha.

May 7, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. avidquilter

Maybe now that Kesha has money, she can buy some talent and some humility.

May 7, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. Round and round

I'd hit it.

May 7, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Fearfighter

Lol. most hetero(straight) guys would hit that... In fact, most guys will hit anything if they can getaway with it...

May 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Bob

This chick thinks far too much of herself. Her music is horrifically awful. She's right about one thing, though. You don't have to be 'perfect' to be successful. You can be utterly talentless, pander to the worst elements of society, and still make lots of money, e.g., see "Ke$sha." But that doesn't mean what she's doing should be applauded.

May 7, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  20. IdiotBox

I'll be shocked if she doens't use autotune.....but then again her album wouldn't sell.

May 7, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim in PA

My god... I can hear the AutoTune with my naked ears on her songs. No need for computer forensics to figure that one out.

May 7, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  21. nitrous

I'd do her.

May 7, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  22. Diamond Dave

I doubt it, bet we'll all be shocked if you actually put somethign out that doesn't sound like immature, auto-tuned crap...

May 7, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  23. danielwalldammit

Somehow I doubt she is going to make a solid transition to more serious content in her lyrics.

May 7, 2012 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  24. antonio

she sucks simple as that. Know one likes her music its pathetic!!!!! She has nothing better to do. Than to be stupid! Why can't people control themselves these days?!

May 6, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. albert gore

And this is what happens when I create the internet? Ke$ha interviews and other tomfoolery? No wonder the planet has a fevr !

May 6, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Lee

I like blow. She likes it too

May 6, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denmom

I like blow too. I bet if we all did enough of it, we might be able to tolerate her 'profundities'.

May 8, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  27. horsewoman

"Require", seriously?

May 6, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  28. dirtstar

Buuuuurp

May 6, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Zainab

Wow Ke$ha is an awesome singer she does not have to be perfect she is perfect

May 6, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Cman

If you don't like her music don't listen to it. It's as simple as that. I think her music is awsome!

May 6, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jewlock

I don't listen to it, but I read the news. I don't want to hear about this trash. She is trash. Your a joke if you think her music is good

May 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  31. matt salois

Please don't interview Ke$ha, it encourages her. Thanks, Earth.

May 6, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  32. *******

let's outlaw autotune and sampling. require all "artists" to actually play their own instruments or sing without any studio tricks

May 6, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  33. leslee

Great. More kesha "music". What a piece of garbage.

May 6, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  34. Angry CNN Bloggers?

What's up with the comments on all these blogs. No matter what the original story topic is about there are always negative/hateful comments. So much venom..it's sickening really. I think you people can find something negative to say about any topic. And no, I'm not a Ke$ha fan, I hate her autotune crap.

May 6, 2012 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam

So in other words, you hate the negativity in the comments on the CNN Blog, but then you perpetuate it? Very nice.

Ke$ha's as legitimate an artist as any other pop star. Daft Punk used autotune and sampled many things and they're hailed as one of the greatest electronic artists of all time. I'm not saying Ke$ha's as good as Daft Punk, but I AM saying she certainly doesn't deserve the level of vitriol these commenters are directing toward her.

May 7, 2012 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam is daft

What an insult to Daft Punk to compare their genius to this twit.

May 7, 2012 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
    • CJ

Wow I can't believe you just compare daft punk to Keisha

May 7, 2012 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Roger

How could you possibly say that philosophy is dead?

May 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. wow

By the way. All u racists are the reason this world is so f_cked up in the first place

May 6, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  36. wow

Its amazing how an artical about music can bring out the racists and snobs. I buy cd's. So what! They r not cheap. Not every black person buy bootlegs. Most that I know buy iTunes. Being raised in a trailer park doent not make you less than a person. Whats funny is that the people who sit up and says racists and elitest things are the ones with no class. Now all you morons that like like to talk sh_t have fun at my expense because im black a woman and I live in the hood and buy cds.

May 6, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  37. new music

she's not so deep.

May 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Q

Yeah she is actually. Listen to her demos and the tracks on her album...

May 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • BBC

She is, I got real deep in her.

May 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Yes, she is. She was accepted to Columbia University (an Ivy League school, if you weren't aware) and was going to study psychology, but then she dropped out of high school to become a pop star. Not the best of choices, but she has some decent songs. Listen to The Harold Song.

May 7, 2012 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  38. *******

what a bunch of losers in here tonight. especially Chapli.

May 5, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Administrator

Everyone please keep your comments proffessional and profanity free, or we will ban you from the comment page.
    CNN Tech Administration

May 5, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. trailer park ho

Hey us girls from the trailer park serve a purpose...everyone needs a good ho now and then. Most important..we can phuck any of ur so called faithful men and make them pack their bags and leave u for sure...And we can phuck better then you snobby only do the missionary position s k a n k s . You dont swallow we gladly do...so stfu already

May 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Tiffany

And By the way, the way she dresses is a part of the act!! If you don't like her, don't buy/listen to her music or talk about her, because it just makes you look pathetic!

May 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tiffany

Seriously?? I don't know why people bash artists, just because you don't like the way she sounds or dresses should not be a reason to judge her!! And i live in Tennessee and We are not trailer trash, i swear people are complete and utter morons!!

May 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yup

I agree. I was bangin tiffany last night and her double wide is pretty nice, and so is her trailer!

May 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  43. cRap record label agent

Im laughing all the way to the bank at these ghetto talkin no talent drug abusers whose rhymes are so idiotic and simple. Press a button and some cheap beats play then a bunch of nuckle draggers move about stage while smoking grape flava blunts. No talents fkrs

May 5, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  44. steph

Here we go again,the depressed and bitter people out †☺ trash anyone just †☺ make themselves happy. If U̶̲̥̅̊ don't like a thing,don't expect everybody †☺ follow U̶̲̥̅̊ . One man's food is another's poison.

May 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Brandon

Anybody that listens to this kind of garbage are the ones that are making them keep producing it. What the hell is wrong with people these days?

May 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  46. superman 3

There sure are a lot of haters here today.. I'd like to ask all of you what it is that you that makes you so special other than living in your mom's basements? Ke$ha has some good tunes :)

May 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Scuba Steve

Wow, the amount of hate here is astounding, brilliant comments though. The amount of bashing between people is quite entertaining, and some slighty disturbing. The truth of the matter is though that while Ke$ha may not play a musical instrument in her music or that she sings Auto-tuned in some if not all songs. She is the artist so therefore she gets to say what she wants. Now for all the haters and trolls out there I welcome your comments because I will stand up for the artists in the music business anyday. So if you don't like Ke$ha don't buy her album, and if you do my advice would be listen before you conform to society and just buy the cd once it comes out. Oh yes TML i'm not sure if you are familiar with Jazz either. Jazz is not about the instruments or the music its about the lyrics. Jazz is a derivative of Soul, you are trying to send a message in song. So your comments are weak. But your in the mix and having fun.

May 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • 90s Guy

Buy the cd? The only tools that buy cds are redneck garbage or poor blacks that bootleg garbage music like hers.

May 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chapli

@90s guy: you have no respect for yourself so you put down other races not to mention that you don't buy CDs like honest people would – you just download it for free and rip off society like the poor blacks you like to try to insult?

May 5, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bro

@chapli... Maybe he uses itunes. I dont buy cds and I dont steal any music. Welcome to 2012.

May 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scuba Steve

@90's Guy Not everyone can afford a computer or Itunes or Ipods. Also not everyone is willing to get a class 5 felony and spend up to and including 5 years in federal prison for not buying the CD.

May 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ke$ha Rules!!

90's guy you must feel really good insulting others while eating spray cheese in your mothers basement. BAZINGA!!!

May 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ballin...

Yo steve we all arent broke jokes like you. Whats that sound? I think your cd player is skipping chump.

May 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

@Bro: enjoy listening to your music at 128kbps bitrates, grandpa.

May 6, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • TML

Scuba Steve - I've played drums for 35 years (I started when I was 7 years old) and played in jazz ensembles for 20 years and piano for 15 years. You have no idea what you're talking about. Seriously: no idea. But this is an anonymous Internet chat board so cramholes like you can blather on with your non-sense so knock yourself out. In the meantime, I (and other like me who actually play) musical instruments will create and play music. Cue: your reponse to further defend Kesha and her likes. In actuality, an apology should be issued for how terrible contemporary music has become. But, according to you, you need to stand up for "artists" in the music industry, probably out of some silly notion that record sales equate to record sales. So, knock yourself out. You have no concept of musicianship or musicality. Obviously.

May 6, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
    • A

Hey 90s guy. First, your racist rhetoric is an insult to the wonder that was the 90s. Please get a new name. Second, many audiophiles still purchase CDs because they have the highest quality sound. They can rip them with loss-less compression, such as FLAC, to listen to them digitally. When you have high quality sound equipment, it is very easy to tell the difference in audio quality between a CD and a lossy compression like mp3.

May 7, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  48. KRISTIN FERRELL

soooooo.....bored maybe?

May 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Dr. Bombay

Absolute GARBAGE!

May 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Genius

Check out her song on YouTube called goodbye.

She's got talent.

May 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Tamara

Hey Ke$ha! Got anymore Hatorade for these people??
    Hah..

May 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Cowbell

If this is so like her 'mother should wash out her mouth with soap'. =)

May 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Derpy McDerpsterfisch

I would be shocked if she showed even an ounce of class and didn't look like a complete wh0re-bag.

May 5, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  54. Marc

She's way too fat

May 5, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  55. DFWDelia

I think Ke$ha is a lot better than she gets credit for and she's really cute! I love her outfits!

May 5, 2012 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  56. sharky

"Some fans, she predicts, will be "shocked" by the new sound."

She'll sing without autotune?

May 4, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  57. TML

"It's not going to be some avant-garde jazz record." No kidding. You have to play a musical instrument and have some basic understanding of music to play jazz. This comedy act has as much in common with jazz as IHOP has with gourmet cuisine.

May 4, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Skeptic

@sokman- they also give you STD's, crabs and lower your sense of self-worth

May 4, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Tanya

What's left to shock? Gaga and Rhianna show their junk at every concert and as far as lyrics....dropping the f bomb is old hat.

May 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Sokman

And whats wrong with nasty little party girls from the trailer park? Those are the ones that let you put them on the internet :-)

May 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Måd

I'd like to run some tests on seeing how smudge-proof that lipstick is.

May 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Leta'

Thank you for not being like that fake a** trying to hard Joss Stone.

May 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Betty

Joss Stone? Really? This woman only wishes she had a portion of the talent of Joss!

May 5, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  63. Skeptic

still a nasty little party girl from the trailer park. yeah i know she has money in the bank, but that's not everything.

May 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chapli

and what are you in the mirror Skeptic?

May 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Q

Um, Kesha is a bad person because of her style and degration towards men? I guess the rest of the women in the music industry are trash too. Stay pre$$ed, grandpa.

May 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |