May 4th, 2012

Exclusive: TLC to launch airport series 'On the Fly'

If you've flown even just once in your life, you've witnessed the drama that can happen in an airport: Mad dashes to make a flight, baggage issues, and, of course, security check-in.

TLC is bringing cameras along for the ride as it goes behind-the-scenes with Southwest Airlines at airports across the country in the new series "On the Fly."

The 13 half-hour episodes will go "behind the gate to reveal what it takes to transport [Southwest's] customers in an era that finds flying seemingly more complicated than ever before," says a statement from the network.

The series has filmed in Baltimore, Maryland's Baltimore/Washington International airport and Denver, Colorado's Denver International.

"On the Fly" also features Chicago's Midway International; Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International; Louis Armstrong New Orleans International; Philadelphia International; Sacramento International; and Tampa International airport.

The series also aims to incorporate the customers' point of view, "sharing the story behind their journeys and the people they cross paths with during the trip."

Check out the exclusive video of "On the Fly," which premieres Thursdays at 9 p.m. on TLC starting May 24.

Filed under: television

1. Sally

I liked the show, it is typical of what happens when you fly. I love Southwest and prefer to fly with them
    anytime I fly. People don't stop to think that it isn't always the airlines fault when flights don't go as
    scheduled. I think the customer service people did an outstanding job.

May 25, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sherri

never had a bad experince on southwest. loved the show

May 24, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Siri

This looks better than Airline! I love flying and I always thought it was crazy how wacky people get en route. Like you don't have to have manners anymore. I guess that's any customer service situation. I also like how it looks real and not all sparkly like other reality shows. I look forward to seeing this!

May 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael Calaizzo

We are Laughing Hysterically.

May 7, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. cori

Watch for the University of Findlay Track team!!!

May 6, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. dangit

they should do an episode on charles de gaule and show how horrid that airport is along with their snooty frenchmen.

May 6, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. b.a.

are they going to show fat people crying that they had no idea they were fat until someone from southwest was forced to tell them... because they were to stupid to admit that they should have bought a second seat in the first place?

i hope so. fat people are a tax on society. i have zero respect for the morbidly obese. its not a disability, its a choice.

May 4, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Observer

THis has been done before...I think A&E had a show on called "Airline" which followed (I think) also Southwest airlines employees for the course of a day. As I remember, it was actually a pretty good show, and made me appreciate what airline employees have to put up with. Drunks are especially difficult to deal with.

May 4, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

You are Correct and I rather enjoyed the Show Airline so I will be excited for this show as well.

May 7, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Teresa :)

I love Southwest Airlines! They are the friendliest, most helpful airline and they DON'T charge baggage fees!!!

May 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Skeptic

are they gonna show where the baggage handlers go thru yer bags and fondle yer underwear?

May 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. AmyDD

This sounds super riveting.

May 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |