May 2nd, 2012

Was the right star sent home on 'DWTS'?

Although he had to enter the "Dance Duel" two weeks ago, Jaleel White's fortunes on "Dancing with the Stars" seemed to be on the upswing, especially after he garnered a 29 with his "Motown" cha-cha last week.

But "Dancing" is a show where you should expect the unexpected, and White learned that the hard way last night, becoming the sixth celebrity eliminated from the ABC competition show.

White's Viennese waltz failed to impress the judges on Monday's "Classical Week," and he fell short in a rumba "Dance Duel" against Roshon Fegan, who won the judges' save for a second straight week.

"Our number was up today and it ain't 10," White told CNN after the show. "I've been working seven days a week for the last two months.  I can't wait to get back to being a dad and slowing life down a little bit."

Pro partner Kym Johnson was impressed with White's work ethic throughout the competition.

"Every single week, Jaleel's put in a great performance," she told us. "He kept working really, really hard. He never got discouraged. I'm very proud of what he's achieved."

Next week, the six remaining teams will each perform two dances, and two celebrities will be eliminated.

What did you think of last night's "Dancing with the Stars" episode? Was the right celebrity given the boot?

And don't forget to watch the above video to hear more from Jaleel White and Kym Johnson, as well as highlights from their "Classical Night" performance.

1. Cindy

Jaleel/Roshon/Melissa--clearly the weakest dancers. I agree, Melissa should have gone 1st. But let's face it....the dancing of Kathrine, Donald, and Maria do not compare to the others.

May 3, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Classical Musician-and Ballroom Dancer

In defense of Jaleel– The rhythm for a V.Waltz-any Waltz-is 3/4 time. That music was in 4/4 time. !! Ridiculous. !! The person(s) who co-ordinates the music and the dances should be fired. !! A Latin Rumba to the light and fluffy music of Mozart?? Again,preposterous.!! And I agree that the judges' choice to get rid of Maks is very obvious. ... Disgusting.!!. It even showed up in the judging of the group dances. What could be a fine show, has deteriorated badly..this year.!

May 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Margaret

Whether or not Melissa is a poor dancer it has been extremely obvious for at least the last 4 seasons that all the judges dislike Maks and would do all they could to get him and his partner thrown off. Up to a month before the show was to start Maks was reported as saying that he had not been contacted to dance and we all know that Derek will win whoever his partner is. They also seem to send Louis off early. Martina is the one I felt most sorry for but of course she had the option not to take part. In answer to the question yes the right person was sent home this week. You can bet that Melissa and Maks will be in Jeopardy and at the bottom of the leader board next week.

May 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Debby

Suzanne, I agree! She is this season's whipping boy! It seems as though Max's partner's always take a hit. Remember how they treated Hope Solo? I see a trend here. The same with Tristan. He gets the older, heavier partners. Gladys Knight is a class act but she wasn't as great as they made her out to be either. The judges fawned on her even with their criticisms while they are cruel to Melissa every week. It's obvious.

May 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ballroom dancer

First of all, on the subject of the bottom two yesterday...
    Jaleel and Melissa should have been in thr bottom for sheer dancing quality. In the dane duel there WAS, RoShon was the CLEAR winner if for no other reason than their being more actual content and not just repeating the same 3 steps with different flourish. Besides that fact, Roshon was better technically (though still a little sharp for my tastes and a little shaky on the strength moves).
    I CANNOT believe that Melissa is still in this OR that you all seem to think she is a great dancer. Her quality and CLARITY of movement is LAUGHABLE. She seem sto be a hard worker and a class act but if we are judging off dancing alone, she is not up to par to be in this. Sad but true.

May 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • ballroom dancer

ashamed of my own grammar – typing way to fast I guess. The* and THERE, not their.

May 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. salleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The judges have good reason to hate Maks. He is an arrogant, egotistical jerk who seems to think he's God's gift to
    mankind. He's always rude to his partners and HE'S the one who should be kicked off the show permanently.

Melissa should have gone, not Jaleel.

Learn to spell and punctuate, people.

May 2, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kelly

I think irrispective of dancing but character, Jaleel should have been gone as soon as it was reported that he manhandled Kym and another dancer. However way you excuse it, something happened during rehearsal and if this is touted as a family show, one cannot discount a complete lack of character as displayed by Jaleel.

May 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. EHeffron

I think there is polotical softball going on with the voting. Firstly it is obvious the judges panel hate Max and whomever he would dance with. The voters at home are aware of this and do not like or apprieciate this. I think they are showing the judges to be fair in their judging. Their dis like of Max should have nothing to do with the scores they give them . Giving them a 7 last ime was a joke. Personally they can keep that gameof theirs up and the viewers will answer them back. Change the judges next year.

May 2, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ballroom dancer

Are you kidding EHeffron??? Gilbert should have been gone long ago. I like her and all, but her dancing is just not what it should be. Her clarity of movement is laughable and she always seems to be desperately trying to remember and then keep up with the next move. I like Maks and I agree sometimes they can be rough on him, but Melissa is just not very good.

May 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debby

I agree

May 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. aamzdwu

I agree she should have gone home .

May 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. elizabeth

No Gilbert should be the one sent home. i don't understand why the judges gave Gladys Knight such low scores last week.She may not received enough votes from the public to stay on, but I think the judges could have given her higher scores. I think she did a good job for her age. I think the judges give the older dancers low scores.

May 2, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. jjones

I agree. She should have gone home weeks ago.

May 2, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. JHamilton

No, Gilbert should have been sent home. She is stiff and always has the 'deer in the headlights' look on her face while being dragged around the floor.

May 2, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Suzanne

On Performance and Credibility and likability, Gilbert is definitely here to stay till the end, anyone who can put up with the Judging the way she has is the winner.

May 2, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |