May 1st, 2012

Kimbra 'Somebody' you should get to know

Most of us know her as the other voice in the Gotye hit, “Somebody That I Used to Know,” but Kimbra is making a splash in the music world on her own, too.

The New Zealand native will release her solo debut, “Vows,” in the U.S. on May 22. And, you can catch her on tour with Foster the People beginning with a show in New York on May 29.

“Somebody That I Used to Know” also isn’t Kimbra’s only high-profile collaboration. Watch the video above to find out what other big names she’s working with in the States, and get a taste of what “Vows” has to offer.

Meanwhile, Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” is riding high atop Billboard’s Hot 100 chart. Gotye recently told CNN that the song, with its sultry body-painted video, is a “song for the masochists.”

Watch the video for his explanation, and see a bit of his cool stop-motion video for the song “Easy Way Out."

Post by:
Filed under: Music

1. savannah tom

The Kimbra Sing Sing studio recordings are jaw dropping. This kid has talent in a major way. Don't think she can sing? See her at the rolling stone house at SXSW. She stands in a yard with no band, loops a couple of her own voice tracks, and belts the song out of the park. Gotye? Fully committed professional musical artist.

May 16, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SKY

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD WE WANT TO KNOW SOMEONE WHO LOOK CRAZIE?
    PEOPLE YOU GOT TO OPEN YOUR EYES AND THINK, BRAIN USE IT
    CRAZIES ARE ON THE LOOSE AND THEY WANT US TO SAY THEY ARE NORMAL
    NO I PLAN TO CALL THEM OUT!

May 3, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dante

poor Snackelfish...delusional & unaware that "talent" is NOT responsible for the success of lyrical pioneers like the "Black Eyed Peas" ("...Whatcha gonna do with all that breast...All that breast inside that shirt..."). Their success is typical in pop music...due to marketing juggernauts that cost more than most artists ever earn...

May 2, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jdub87

Kimbra is so talented and so incredibly hot.

May 2, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. PLUSH

HAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTT!!!

May 2, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Michelle

What's with all the debate about a singer? You either like the music or you don't, simple as that. I personally love this song. It is hauntingly beautiful. No offense to Kimbra but the first time I heard this on the radio, I honestly thought the female singer was Katy Perry. When I saw her on Saturday Night Live, I realized she isnt Katy Perry but Kimbra does look a little like Ms. Perry. I haven't seen the entire video yet but I will check it out later. Also, I have to state this and I apologize if this offends anyone but why doesn't anyone know how to use 'you're' and 'your' appropriately? The last post should state "can't imagine why you're proud". I swear I didn't realize that taking the time to type an apostrophe and the letter 'e' was so time-consuming.

May 2, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. J

This was not put together by hit-makers. It was put together by a guy writing music in a shed. The fact that it is the only #1 hit in the last decade to not be constructed by some overpaid producer backed by a huge record label in conjunction with a marketing team the size of a small country should be enough reason for any genuine music lover to appreciate this song and what it means for popular music.

May 2, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. KIMBRA ROCKS

Her cover for Nina Simone's "Plain Gold Ring" is more powerful than an atomic bomb, better than nina's herself. Check it out online.

May 2, 2012 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. T. J.

Reminds me a bit of how Skylar Grey got her spotlight.

May 2, 2012 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. over9000

kimbra is more like a back up singer.

May 2, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Skeptic

listened to it once. that was enough. u may like it, that's ok. I didn't.

May 1, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. zappafrank

I have no idea who either person is.

May 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. lork

The moment I saw the video with Kimbra in it, I said wow, she is really pretty! I had no idea how tall she looks. BTW, any chance anyone knows how tall she is?

I read that she had to stand 12 hours for the painting artist to add 3 mm of paint, take six snap shots then do this over and over again.

May 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Patrick

I had Kimbra's Vows shipped to me here in the states months ago. It's brilliant. "Cameo Lover" is pure Northern Soul from down under. Another great Kiwi band is The Naked And Famous. I highly recommend. Of course, I'm a 50-something guy so what do I know?

May 1, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jack Storm

Gotye feat. Kimbra? More like Sting feat. Katy Perry.

May 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. TODAY

HE'S CUTE :))...JUST LIKE THIS GUY

May 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Meech

I cannot look at than mans face or I will need anger management classes. She on the other hand is awesome.

May 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Xs❤Os

Reblogged this on Xs❤Os For All! and commented:
    Ah Kimbra... I'm so happy you're finally coming to the states. We've been asking you since 2008. Cheers!

May 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Clayton

Still like "Walk Off the Earth"s cover of this song better than the original by Gotye...

May 1, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sil

Yup, I completely agree.

May 2, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Jacen

I love it as well. Even better, though, is The Key Of Awesome's parody of Walk Of the Earth's cover of Somebody I Used To Know. Hilarious.

May 2, 2012 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Vampy

Absofreakinglutely and the 5 people 1 guitar version made by "Walk Off the Earth" is bestest!

May 2, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  20. Richard

DRIVEL, annoying DRIVEL. Right down there with Fun's "We are young."
    When did "alternative rock" turn into teen light pop GARBAGE???

May 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cam

Kimbra is pretty... and she can sing. wow.

May 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Brian H

Kimbra...like in the "Kimbra the White Lion"? Oh...my bad...that was Kimba.

May 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jllsppw

How about you make some original music instead of the usual "Lets copy the sound of a "Real Musician" Just more proof that there is NO originality in today’s music... it's easier to copy...

May 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  24. anxietyjunkie

I recommend checking Kimbra out on youtube; search for 'Kimbra Sing Sing studios'. The live versions of those songs are much better than the album versions, IMO.

May 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Dante

Go work in a recording-studio for a while. You will quickly learn the difference between the songs these pop clowns "write" & the final product that gets released. You wouldn't want to hear the stuff they "wrote" before the producers, engineers & mastering got a hold of it...trust me!

May 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • darenlake

Wally (Gotye) actually produced, recorded, and wrote EVERYTHING. He just went into the studio for final mixing and mastering. This song was a classic the minute he put together the demo. He is a REAL musician and genius that understands both sides of the game (artist and business).

May 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snackelfish

Poor Dante. Probably stuck cleaning the pop filters while those with real talent make the money.

May 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

You mad, bro?

May 2, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • J

This was not put together by hit-makers. It was put together by a guy writing music in a shed. Actually, the fact that it is pretty much the only #1 hit in the last decade to not be constructed by some overpaid producer backed by a huge record label in conjunction with a marketing team the size of a small country should be enough reason for any genuine music lover to appreciate this song and what it means for popular music.

May 2, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  26. Bookenz

They did a good job on that song on Glee. Go ahead, flame away. I said it.

May 1, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  27. k4815162342

She's so beautiful- and what a voice!!!

May 1, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kimbra-ly

I saw his video on youtube when there was less than 5K hits. I new then it was going to do very well. Look at how many hits it has now!!!! Good song!!!

May 1, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • grumpygus

Hmmph. The modern version of "I was into these dudes before anybody".

May 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. helloeyes

He's actually a very successful artist in our homeland of Australia- taking most of the awards for the ARIA industry awards (the Aussie version of the grammys). I would hesitate to call him a one-hit-wonder only because that's more for artists and groups that are contrived or manufactured. This man is a serious artist and I assume will continue to create. I love his stuff.

May 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Whatchoo Say?

I hadn't considered the likeness to Sting but had really thought that he sounded more like Peter Gabriel!!

May 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. mrsmoney

Roberto – you are Righto ! I love this song – it is seriously well done by both singers.
    Dont pay attention to the idiot trolls – theyre probably fans of Justin Beiber and dont know any better :)

May 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jllsppw

Justin Beiber has more talent in his butt cheek! and i have 10x more respect for Beiber, at least his music is original. Maybe, just maybe there are people out there that have listened to music over the generations and know a "sound-a-like" when they hear one... And this is as blatant as it gets.

May 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jonesy

The song is good, but is overplayed and thus unfairly scrutinized and causes speculation as to its "one hit wonder" inevitability.

He does sound like Sting and even a little Phil Collins. No comparisons on who is better considering their Hall of Fame status.

May 1, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Matt

Care to post some of your works, raxx? I can provide web hosting if you need it.

May 1, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Fiona

He sounds like a knock off of Sting in his Police days, only nowhere near as good. He also sounds like a pompous twit.

May 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  35. raxx

BOTH ARE NO TALENT 1/2 HIT WONDERS....TERRIBLE AND ANNOYING :)

May 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Johnny B

Boring

May 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. duh

i'm proud to say that i'm 28 years old and have no idea what a gotye is, or why I would stick my kimbra in one

May 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heywood Jablome

It's actually the other way around.

May 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roberto

Seriously, your loss... I don't know what kind of music you're into, but both Kimbra and Gotye are excellent musicians, I attended his concert last month and there wasn't a song I didn't like. Just because someone becomes popular doesn't mean their music is crap (listen to Gotye's "Heart's a mess" and Kimbra's "good intent")

May 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • John G

Why are you proud of that? Not liking it is a valid response, but ignorance to culture (pop, or otherwise)... What a stupid thing to take pride in. Have fun with your head in the sand.

May 1, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

I knew what to do with my kimbra by 13, can't imagine why your proud........... unless it's for being a snob

May 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |