Bobby Brown on Whitney: I'm not the reason she's gone
May 1st, 2012

Bobby Brown on Whitney: I'm not the reason she's gone

Plenty of chatter has persisted over the years about what impact, if any, Bobby Brown may have had on Whitney Houston's life and career, and now the late legend's ex is speaking out.

In an interview that's set to air on the "Today" show Wednesday, the R&B singer says that for one thing, he's not responsible for Houston's battle with drug use. According to Brown, Houston's use of substances began “way before” they met.

"I didn't get high [on narcotics] before I met Whitney," Brown told "Today's" Matt Lauer. "I smoked weed, I drank the beer, but no, I wasn't the one that got Whitney on drugs at all... It's just unexplainable how one could, you know, [say that I] got her addicted to drugs. I'm not the reason she's gone."

Houston's life was cut short in February of this year due to an accidental drowning, with the "effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use" being contributing factors, according to an autopsy report.

Of her death, Brown told Lauer that "it had to be that one [time] because that's all it takes ... One hit, you know ... it could definitely take your life away from you. And, unfortunately, that was it."

Houston’s ex-husband and the father of her only child, Bobbi Kristina, also commented on how their joint drug use impacted their failed relationship. The pair divorced in 2007 after 15 years of marriage.

“We was able to see that our drug use had affected our relationship - had affected the love that we felt for each other,” he said, reflecting on the eye-opening reality show they did together seven years ago, “Being Bobby Brown."

These days, the singer said he is "very much clean and sober from narcotics." On Thursday, Brown's fiancee and three of his children will  join him on the NBC morning show to discuss the media's take on their loved one.

1. kelly

Thank you for making this information available – We have several stories that cover people in recovery from drugs – designer – Pharmaceutical – and street. It is refreshing to hear about people overcoming these difficult times in their lives.
    http://www.yourtreatmentsolutions.com – http://www.12stepplanet.com – http://www.addictstoday.com

June 17, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. s wright

u r right stephanie, bobby should not be blamed. I pray for him, because deep down he still loved her. and since whitney's death, bobby has not been feeling well. dui's, drinking again. please pray for him everyone, he needs it. i feel ihe really wants to be close again with bobbi kris, but she will not let him in. they both need help, especially her.

May 5, 2012 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. STEPHANIE

I HAVE 2 SAY FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. NO ONE IN THIS WORLD CAN GET YOU HIGH AND NO ONE IN THIS WORLD CAN GET YOU SOBER!!! ULTIMATELY SOMEONE CAN ASK YOU OR TRY 2 FORCE YOU 2 USE DRUGS OR BOOS, BUT IT IS YOUR CHOICE WHEN YOU PICK UP THAT SUBSTANCE. THE 1ST TIME YOU FEEL PRESSURED ETC, BUT AFTER THAT IT IS A CHOICE YOU MAKE AND ITS FAR FROM EASY 2 QUIT BUT IT DEF IS POSSIBLE, I DONT THINK BOBBY BROWN SHOULD BE BLAMED!!!!

May 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. s wright

all those people in her entourage (what were they doing?, what kind of people were they?, my god!). every body scattered. your are right sky I said the same thing, talking to my daughter. she only wanted to be herself. But, that is not all that caused her to binge on drugs and alcohol starting out, it was something else, but we will never know.

May 2, 2012 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. SKY

SHE WAS GROOMED FOR SUCCESS – ALL HER FAMILY AND FRIENDS KNEW SHE USED DRUGS.
    SHE MARRIED BOBBY BECAUSE 1. SHE LOVED HIM AND COULD RELATE TO HIM...SHE WAS JUST
    A GIRL WHO LIKE HAVING FUN (BEING HER AGE) BUT THEY MADE HER OVER.
    JUST LIKE KAYE AND KIM THEY SEEM TO HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON BUT MONEY
    BUT THEY CONNECT-SO IF YOU WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT A PERSON
    JUST LOOK AT THE PEOPLE THEY ASSOCIATE WITH!

May 2, 2012 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. s wright

whitney is an adult, and to blame for her addiction. But, people we have to think, if we had a love one that we knew needed intervention in their life, we (I know I would!) would do something to try and get them help. whitney was sad, and depressed (she could hide it well), and I feel that everyone of her so-called circle of friends cared nothing about her they only envied what she had. she really needed someone personal in her life. whitney was hurting, I mean her soul. something was tearing her up inside. If you think about it, all the opportunity and resources she had to get help (why didn't she?) Believe me when I say this! I have prayed so much for her, and that I wished i knew her by the grace of god, to put me in her life and guide me to help her. my faith is so strong in the lord, and i know through him and his guidance, she would be alive today. I pray for her daughter and mom. Stay blessed everyone!

May 2, 2012 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
    • websterkrawly

the short answer is that she probably didn't want the media to rip her apart like they do to every other celebrity that tries to get help. sadly, only the bravest of them get through it. with so many people telling her she could have and handle everything and so few telling her to slow down and take care, is it any surprise she passed so young? same with so very, very many others.

May 2, 2012 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mfr

Loser

May 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. T in Dallas

Whitney Houston was who Clive Davis and his money told us she was. From her Aunt Dionne Warwick's very public drug use, we can't ignore Whitney had family history with drugs. Just like Michael, Whitney's handler's was just fleecing the golden goose! Can't blame Bobby for her shortcomings...why not blame Clive Davis????

May 1, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mfr

They are all losers.

May 1, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • websterkrawly

indeed. why not blame all the people that bought her music and paid her for tickets to shows. they financed it. or why not blame the dealers. For that why not blame the militias in other countries that allow cocaine to grow on their turf.

Or why not blame whitney. every good twelve stepper will tell you, eventually every addict gets high for the last time.

May 2, 2012 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kendra77

I am from NJ, and "rumours" about how Whitney was really living was being talked about since the 80's. I began hearing talk when she recorded her 1st album. Her siblings have been dealing with substance abuse forever, and surely that got high with her too. Yet, too many want to put all of the blame on Bobby Brown as if Whitney did not have a choice. BB is being made the fall guy, and it only make sense that nobody forced Whitney to become an addict. She knew was she was doing from day one, but she did it anyway.

May 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bugette

I never saw Whitney with a cast on her arm from it being twisted hard enough to make her do crack. She grew up in a home where she knew RIGHT FROM WRONG. She new exactly what she was doing and how it was screwin up her life, her family and her child! So, there is no one to blame but Whitney. Don't get me wrong. I loved her music and there will never ever be another person that will ever sing the national anthem like she did for the Super Bowl. But having dealt with and lost 3 family members and a best friend to the disease that drug abuse is there is nothing that anyone but Whitney could have done to stop what happened. In the end she was the only person that could have changed the outcome.

May 1, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. RICK DA RULA

From day one there has always been the perception that Bobby Brown was not good enough for Whitney. At least in the media. Just like everyone thinking Tiger Woods was a family man, maybe Whitney was a typical junkie in private. Bobby did not kill Whitney. Nor did he contribute to her demise. Funny how her enterouge who were present with her at that hotel have remained silent. I mean, who bought the drugs for her and then brought them to her? That person...along with Whitney...is the real reason she is gone.

May 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • blackula

No, he's the reason his career is GONE. Judging by the sweater he's still hooked on crack...

May 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lakenya walker

So if my boyfriend died today or tomorrow would his fam. & friends blame me??? HELL NO!!! u kno y?? because if dats da case i could blame them for knowin & not intervening!! so if i decide to use coke & i died from it.. would yall blame me or him??

May 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. lakenya walker

I've read everyones comments & i agree & disagree with a lot of it!! food for thought... i been with an cheatin,alcoholic,& abusive cocaine addict for almost twenty yrs. I like whitney & tina had the opportunity to indulge on coke but like tina i chose to b clean!! it was whitneys' choice! sure i was curious but 1 of us had to b the better person!! That person is me!! I could buy a rap career wit da thousands he spent!!

May 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jcsla

yes, you are.

May 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Janice Evans

In reguards to Bobby Brown being responsible for Whitney being on drugs, New Edition members cleared that myth up years ago, she was already on drugs before she even met Bobby, we can't blame one person for another persons actions, they had been divorced, and Boby Brown is relevant, he's been touring for a while now and he's cleaned his life up so give the guy some prompts, some people always hating on someone, we all have bad vises and character flaws, before you talk about the plank in someone else's eye, pull the plank out of yours, pray for people instead of drwn grading and punishing people for their past!

May 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherry Adkison

I agree, they need to stop blaming bobby she was on drugs long before she got with him, I really think when they were together bobby kept her safe, i think he would stop her from going to far, if he had been with whitney in that hotel room he could've saved her from that bad bag someone gave her.

May 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mfr

I agree. But they are all losers anyway.

May 2, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. Timmy Lee Roberts

Yes Whitney Houston was responsible for her actions, but that man did not help matters.

May 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mike

Fans of Whitney Houston would love to have a scapegoat instead of blaming Whitney herself. She had a deadly addiction which (ultimately) killed her. Even she is not to blame. When adults do things (they) are responsible for the things they do. It does not matter if they are a celebrity or not. Pointing a finger at Brown this long after he divorced her is not making Whitney
    culpable of her own actions. A "star" is a human being. Whitney was human and had human frailties. I loved Whitney's music and movies too but...blaming Brown doesn't bring her back. Maybe (in the future) stars in crisis will think of Whitney Or Michael and recognize that it could just as easily be them.

May 1, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Hairbear

Why are we even talking to this guy.? He's a dope addict hisself! Looking for a quick buck! He got paid!

May 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Blah blah blah

Whatever helps you sleep at night dude.

Anyone who knew BB pre-Whitney knew she was a goner the moment they hooked up.

May 1, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jenny

The person I feel sorry for in all this mess is Bobbi Kristina. I hope and pray she will find peace with her mothers death and make peace with her father. Hopefully Bobby will be there for Bobbi Kristina. I choose to believe he will be.

May 1, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

I feel sorry for Bobbi Kristina too. Her mother was one of the greatest beauties in American history, and yet she looks just like her ghetto-butt-ugly dad with makeup and a bad wig.

May 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Stern

She had been a drug junkie for decades. End of story. No one else was responsible for her death, but Whitney herself.

May 1, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Whitney Phoenix

Hey Bobby, love the Pepto-Bismol sweater. Which Generation is that from?

May 1, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Rip Van Winkle

Gee, I hope The Hobbit is not 3 hours long like every other Peter Jackson movie. Is he too cheap to hire an editor? I fell asleep during King Kong, had a dream about the entire LOTR trilogy, woke up and the movie wasn't even half-way over yet.

May 1, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  24. JARED

RIP Whitney Houston for it doesn't matter now she is gone to be with the Lord. Let her life live as a example like countless other singers, athletes, movie stars, tv stars etc. abuse powerful drugs and u will be either dead or in jail period. bobby has to live with what happened.

May 1, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ceg

I Rest in peace Whitney. Bobby you should have cleared your name while she was alive. The silent treatment in this case faulted you.

May 1, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

you are right, the time to clear his name was when she was alive. he should have left her and got her to cleanup, he looks and sounds GUILTY

June 2, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  26. areacode612

Bobby is right. Whitney made her own choices.

May 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  27. mac101

Whitney Houston is to blame for HER drug addiction. Bobby Brown is to blame for HIS drug addiction. No one held a gun to either head and forced them to get high, and neither was good for the other. People around an addict can help or hinder – and perhaps Bobby hindered, but then, so did Whitney. Addiction is a disease, but recovery is every individual's responsibility.

May 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Will

Bobby Brown is a worthless, low class hood rat with low character and even lower IQ. There is absolutely NO doubt that had Whitney not attempted to prove her "blackness" to the racist black community by marrying this piece of low class black garbage, she would today still be alive, healthy, and the world's preeminent singer.

May 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy Neutron

The only racist is YOU!! Whitney Houston grew up in East Orange New Jersey, a mostly african american city. She did not have to prove any blackness. I diot!

May 1, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tammy

yeah uhm, I've read articles where their daughter is hooked on the crap..... who got her to start using it?

May 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • pennylane

Least you forget "Will" Whitney was an adult who made her own decisions. The world may not have approved of her choice in men, but at the end of the day only she can account for her decisions...so stop playing the blame game and point the finger in the right direction...The only thing Bobby Brown is guilty of today, is trying to clear his "name" now that Whitney is gone....so drop the hate and move forward.....

May 1, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnson

I agree. From Boston here and know Brown's reputation. He was the root cause of her addiction. She was partially responsible for not being strong enough to fight it; however, Brown is trash and really pulled her down.

May 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Whitney fell in love with him. She didn't ask permission,she didn't ask if her marrying him was popular. Statements saying she was appeasing the racist black community come from racist...???!!!

May 1, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dano

Thanks Will someone finally said how the really felt about Whitney you controlling bigot.A lot of white people thought she was this little white acting black girl.I remember some rednecks I used to work with loved her,even went to some of her concerts.That all changed when they learned she was dating that illiterate,thug,Beantown ghetto Bobby Brown.You guys are somethin'.

May 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  29. politicallyinsurrect

This is not news unless Bobby Brown is campaigning to be the ambassador to skid row.

May 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  30. scrappy

He is the one to blame he got her hooked on the crap and this is how she ended up dead. Sure she could have not participated but it was her husband and had he not got her into it she would still be alive today singing beautifully!

May 1, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • deb0155

Although, I am not a fan of Bobby Brown – I will say that he was not responsible for Whitney Houston's death. It was Whitney who was responsible for her downfall which led to her sudden death. It was well known that she was taking drugs before Bobby Brown and continued to do so. The blame game has to stop. Whitney had it all and blew it because she made the decision to do so – not Bobby Brown!

May 1, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Nikki

"I didn't get high [on narcotics] before I met Whitney," Brown told "Today's" Matt Lauer. "I smoked weed, . . ."

Marijuana isn't a narcotic?? Since when? How do you NOT get high doing weed??? Maybe he didn't start her on that path, but he certainly enabled her.

May 1, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ilmare

It is not a narcotic.

May 1, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam e da bull

Definitely not a narcotic drug. Neither is cocaine. Narcotics in the strict sense of the term are drugs drived from the opium poppy. But hey, BB doesn't really know what he's talking about.

May 1, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. flashtrum

Bobby –

Take a few hundred bucks out of your next gig and enroll yourself in an English class. You know how it was.....

May 1, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ProperVillain

Bobby Brown: making a vain attempt to stay relevant since the early 90's...

May 1, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Wasatcher

WHITNEY is the reason WHITNEY is gone! Leave Bobby alone for God's sake . . . .

May 1, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. rocksyfan

No, Bobby, you did not put the alcohol and drugs down her throat. YOU just led her to the path. Does that make you guilty, no. Does it make you culpable, dam straight it does. Now, if you can explain that away to whatever higher power you believe in when your time comes, knock yourself out. I'm thinking the big guy won't buy your story.

May 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hangeron

Bobby may have been a path but where were all the family and church folks who were so proud of 'one of their own' making it big? They were sucking up their moment in the spotlight, same as the Memphis Mafia did for Elvis. Now they want to cry about Bobby? Not buying it. If she had had a decent, real, loving support system, Bobby couldn't have done anything to her. Her gospel family let her down and then left her to deal with the heartache without any support.

May 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Are you stupid? Multiple people who know them mutually have said she did drugs BEFORE she met Bobby. What is it that makes people worship a celebrity so much that makes people not be able to see them for what they are– face it. Whitney was flawed. She was drug addled before Bobby. Neither of these people are saints.

May 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Nadine

So what's Ryan O'Neill problem why he can't get and stay sober! He's a grown man! Stop talking about these people, Bobby Brown is NOT WHITNEY HOUSTON KEEPER! She will have to stay before God.

May 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Nadine

No need to keep rehashing the past and old news. Whitney Houston was a grown woman and made her decision to live her life injecting and smoking illegal drugs. There's too much help there and first and foremost having a mind to want to be help. Bobby Brown was not her down fall. Stop blaming this man and please stop talking about Whitney Houston.

May 1, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Somethin' smells bad in here

Just being in the same room with a loser like Brown would be enough for anybody to off themselves.

May 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  39. alcourts

May 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

hahahaha.....I'm rolling!

May 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bewildered

alcourts....That is some of the dumbest stuff I have read in a lomg, long time. This may be YOUR god, but he is by no means mine. Reading this drivel is just too much!

May 1, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  40. JJDLS

“We was able to see that our drug use had affected our relationship – had affected the love that we felt for each other,” he said, reflecting ..."

'We was able"???? People need to learn to speak proper English.

May 1, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  41. giggity

no you di'nt

May 1, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Vicki

REALLY!

May 1, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Orlando

People forget that Whitney had been in or around the “industry” in one way or another for her entire life and to say she had blinders on to drugs until Bobby came around is just crazy.

May 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. hudsongirl

I believe Bobby, but even if he did introduce her to cocaine, she is the one who is responsible for taking it and for continuing to take drugs after she and Bobby divorced. I'm sorry she's gone and I wish Bobby the best.

May 1, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. tooquiet4me2005

But you sure helped grease the skids....

May 1, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  46. RNB

He's telling the truth. One of my family members use to sing backup for Whitney in the 80's and 90's. She went to several parties with Whitney and saw her doing cocaine. This was before she was even dating Bobby Brown. He can't be blamed. Whitney made her own choices. It's a shame that she was never able to rise above her addictions. R.I.P. Whitney.

May 1, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norman

you dont know anything-my neighbors mailman used to see her getting big Macs...

May 1, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jtgod5

you may not be why she is gone – you may not have hooked her on drugs – but you stood by and let her do that to herself as well as fully participated in the use of (abuse of) drugs with her. You need to shut up and stop feeling sorry for yourself and keep you eye on the ball – you will be responsible for the downfall of your daughter if you don't start taking her life as more important than yours – she should be your number one concern not all what people are saying about you. What is your response to Whitney passing – making a 'bobby' scene at the funeral and then getting trashed and drunk driving – grow up dude – you have more precious things in this world then yourself!

May 1, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

i think you are absolutely wrong. He didn;t put the 20 dollar bill up her nose and inhale for her. She did. There is no proof he is enabeling her to do drugs. I bet this retard who posted this comment has never done a drug in your life. I have and the only person who decided I did drugs was me. Nobody else. So shut your mouth and do not blame somebody else for an addiction. It is a disease. You are pretty much saying "If Whitney had cancer and died from it, he should have been the one to save her ." So don't make up BS when you have no idea what you are talking about.

May 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

I take you were there to know all this ? Actually I think ur full of owl sheet !

May 1, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • LittleMo

It doesn't matter if Bobby saw it or not. Cissy Houston saw it, too. Why aren't you calling her an enabler? The only person who can help and addict it the addict. As for the "scene" at the funeral it was the funeral staff making a scene. Bobby may have come with more people than were invited but his party was sitting quietly. It was only after being asked to move for the 3rd times – with no one else being asked to move at all – that he said anything. As for making this about himself, people like you have accused and accused and accused him . Agree with him or not he has a right to defend himself. As for Bobbi Kristina, she is 19 and can't be told what to do anymore. Now she is responsible for herself, as well. Even though we're not supposed to speak ill of the dead you should remember that it was Whitney who got Bobbk-Kris started on the party circuit, even partied with her and was more of a friend than a mother. Bobbi-Kris spent more time alone in Atlanta than anything. Nobody sayd not to call Janis Joplin a heroin addict. Nobody protests when it's said Jim Morrison was a chronic user. And the joies about Elvis dying in the bathroom never end. Whitney Houton was a junkie and the only one who could her Whitney was Whitney. People should also remember that Bobby Brown has other children besides Bobbi-Kris and those kids have a right to hear their father defend himself.

May 1, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Perfect3

The resons for her drug use or, "cause of her drug use," is irrelevant at this point don't you think? Bobby is to blame for only so much of it. I'm thinking that if you truly love someone you wouldn't idley stand by and watch them hurt themselves. At least try to get them to get help. On the other hand though, she was a grown woman and was perfectly able to make decisions for her self and surely she was aware of the consequence of her actions. Fact is Bobby could only do so much to stray her either way. Ever heard of the saying, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it?" Well, same concept here. You can tell a GROWN person what they should and should not be doing all day, but in the end, only they can make themselves do the right thing. Until that person is ready and willing to stop doing what ever it is they are doing know one is going to make thiem think or do other wise. Just a thought....................

May 1, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melanie

I totally agree with you – she was a grown woman, who could make her own decisions. She was financially independent, and could have had the best care/treatment in the world, which most of us don't have access to. I blame Whitney alone.

May 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Jen

Tired of hearing about Bobby? Blame the Today Show.

May 1, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  50. sotrueyouknow

I for one believe him. It has been reported, even by Whitney's family members, that she was into drugs before he met her. She was Street. That was the lifestyle. And she was not some easily manipulated woman. He probably got into it worse, because of HER. Glad to see he's cleaned up. Shame she couldn't get clean.

May 1, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. whit

I am so sorry this happened, Whitney was a great performer, lots of talent. When she met Bobby Brown her talent &
    everything just spirled out of control. I think she loved bb with all her heart, but he wasn't in love with her.

May 1, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Billie J. Ancrum

I loved Whitney and I love Bobby, as individuals. Wasn't crazy about them as a couple. But we choose who we choose. We love who we love. And SHE made the decision to be on drugs. She was a grown woman that made a bad decision and it cost her. People want to blame everyone but the one that did it.....Whitney. RIP my sister, Whitney. Rock on Bobby :)

May 1, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Donald in CA

Whitney was a tough lady who couldnt be influenced by anybody.

May 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Tracy

Whitney made her own decisions. but this relationship was toxic. Its important to make wise decisions in life and also wise relationship decisions as well. but addicts attract addicts unforttunately. Its a disease. I pray for all those with it . Its sad.

May 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Tree

Good for Bobby, am so sick of some pointing the finger at him, when she is the one that turned him out.

May 1, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Lillith Sternin

She was a grown woman with the power to say No. It sounds to me like she had a drug problem long before Bobby Brown. I don't like him and I know he may have resented her success but..bottom line is that she was a grown woman who made her own wrong decisions.

May 1, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • T

No matter if you like him or not. Let the truth be know. Whitney beauiful lady , but she had problems. Bobby he may of used her because she was a success, and that the price you have to pay.

May 1, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Mondo Bizarro

Yeah, Bobby. You were a model husband. (rolls eyes)

But no, I don't think Bobby was entirely to blame for the wreck Whitney turned out to be. This was a woman who bragged about her unrepentant drug use ("crack is whack!") on national TV. But he certainly didn't help with his spousal abuse, philandering and his own drug abuse.

Whitney is gone, and she was infinitely more talented than Bobby will ever be. It'll be interesting to see what happens to his career now. Isn't he reduced to touring with New Edition again? Some acts just don't bear re-visiting in middle age.

May 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. martins take

Whitney Houston was a magnificent talent whose music touched people the world over. I miss her and the beautiful voice.
    She was a human being. She wrestled with demons just as we all do.
    Responsibility for her death...well, who are we to judge? Me, I miss her and salute the joy she brought to so many who heard her sing.

May 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Louise

She went from being a cute little girl named Nippy to a Diva that no one said "No" to. How many people will stay with a drunk or a drug addict? He got cleaned up and she could have too (maybe). I just hope that he and their daughter will stay close. She needs him now.

May 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  60. nopenotbuyingit

WHY Do they insist on keeping this crap in the news.

LET IT GO ALREADY

May 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Deb

Did Bobby get her hooked on drugs...NO...Did he get a divorce and take Kristina until Whitney cleaned up...NO??? I remember Bobby's ignorant media comments because he was so jealous of Whtiney's career/talent when he had none!!! I support Cissy writing a book because she stormed Whitney's house trying to save her daughter. I knew Whitney was lying through her false teeth to Oprah!!!! Exhale and RIP Nippy!

May 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Beanbag

Yep it's all Bobby's fault. Poor Whitney wasn't an adult who was responsible for her own behavior, Bobby made her do it. Yea right...

May 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agrav8td

I agree. I don't like Bobby Brown, but that doesn't mean he got her hooked on drugs. We all want to believe she was an angel who did nothing wrong until Bobby Brown came along, but I don't believe that's what happened. But I do agree that their mutual drug use didn't do anything to help her.

May 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  63. ug

Who really cares.

May 1, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  64. xmrctb

Did Bobby dress-up like Erkle to convince us? That's so sweet!

May 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Gei'46

At least he looked nice for the interview.

May 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Whitney was no street drugs long before she met Bobby and keep in mind, they divorced in 2007. After 2007 Whitney was in and out of rehab trying to kick her habit, Bobby wasn't around. We all loved and are hurt over her tragic death but Bobby isn't responsible.

May 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  67. JazzyNate

Whitney Houston is 100% responsible for the decisions she made in liife. Yes Bobby seemed to be more part of the problem that the solution, but the buck ultimately stops with Whtiney.

May 1, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  68. chilly g

bobby had nothing to do with death she made her own decision just as if you decide to take drug it your folk period.

May 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Rasheed

Dude how could you have your wife looking the way that she did for the last eight years of your marriage?My wife is my queen and love her more than I love myself,you messed up you were supposed to protect her.Please be there for Bobby Christina.

May 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Nelson

I went to the movies over the weekend and I saw the trailer "Sparkle". Whitney looked so beautiful and her voice was beautiful. I'm a fan of music with no color being mentioned. It's funny that Whitney got to meet Elvis as a child and both who were beautiful people with amazing voices that God gave them let their fame overpower them. Sadly both left way to early with daughters to mourn them. Let them both rest in peace, we all have our demons and none of us are perfect. We'll never know what they went through.

May 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Tim

What a big man. If he has any respect for Whitney's memory, he should shut up and go live his life in private.

He didn't do the specific drugs she died of, he'd only be responsible if she died from weed and "the beer." What an absolutely pathetic human being.

May 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

You know what is pathetic? Trying to blame someone else for a star's downfall simply because you like her music. The reason Whitney is dead is Whitney.

May 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agrav8td

I know I wouldn't want to be blamed for something I didn't do. I would do the same, I would say my piece (or peace?) and then go on with my life. There's always going to be people who won't believe him.

May 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Niki

The purpose who chooses to use the drug is responsible. She seems like a strong willed person and her decisions were just that.

May 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

That's exactly how I feel. The other commenter’s talk as if they know nothing about drug addiction. You can't make a person an addict they choose to be an addict.

May 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Elisa Jordana

"The irrelevant Bobby Brown speaks!" next on CNN.......:facepalm:

May 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Vexi

They were married for 15 years. What did he do to get either one of them help during that time? He shares the blame no matter how loudly he says he doesn't.

May 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Vexi: No one is to blame but Whitney. Trying to blame someone else because you are an addict? Please.

May 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

Where have you been? Do a Google search to see how many times the both of them have been in and out of rehab during their marriage. It’s not about getting help! An addict can sit in Betty Ford for weeks, but if the addict does not accept responsibility for their choices and make a conscious decision to get well they're not going to. A DRUG ADDICT HAS GOT TO WANT TO GET WELL!!!

May 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • websterkrawly

It's not exactly that easy, Vexi. If you really believe that it's possible to force ann addict to get help you'll be very sad to find that it never, ever works.

No addict gets clean until they want to.

May 2, 2012 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  75. Common Sense

You may not be the reason she is gone...but you are one of the reasons why she is no longer here.

May 1, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  76. PJ

Brown was the one who dragged her into the gutter where she was not strong enough to get herself out. We miss her and wish Brown would simply go back to where he came from.

May 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Noonie

I still wanna rock with you Bobby.

May 1, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Bridget Halvey

Why would he go on national television to discuss something so personal ....too soon Bobby, too soon. Yes Whitney made her own choices but your jealousy of her fame resulted in her losing you...she loved you and you abandoned her...she turned to drugs to heal.

May 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

And you know the intimate details of their marriage because... you were a fly on the wall? What? That is pure non-sense and speculation.

May 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agrav8td

Please, we are a celebrity-obsessed country, there's not much about any celebrity's life we don't already know something about. It's not like doing this will make him more rich or famous, in fact more people will probably hate him for it. I'm seeing him as someone who doesn't want to continue to be blamed for something he didn't do.

May 1, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • websterkrawly

Leaving to get clean isn't abandonment. If he really did leave for that reason, which used to be the one that he gave, then I understand. Staying just to watch her drag herself down would have killed him. Whether anyone chooses to believe it or not it isn't possible to save everyone we love. Self-preservation usually wins.

May 2, 2012 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  79. james

No reason to feel guilty...right ?

May 1, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Rajiv Shaw

Then who else should we blame?

May 1, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  81. E Wright

Why can't Bobby Brown just keep his mouth shut. If he cares about his daughter he should just let Whitney rest in peace....... We miss U WHITNEY.

May 1, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  82. NFLD thought

Very easy to say now that one half is gone.

May 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Lisa Brewster

Whatever Bobby.

May 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • JellyBean@Lisa Brewster

I know, right? Shut up already and just go away, Bobby.

May 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |