'Avengers' opens strong at global box office
April 27th, 2012

'Avengers' opens strong at global box office

"The Avengers" doesn't open for another week in the States (so close, fans - so close!) but it's already doing gangbusters overseas.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Marvel's superhero ensemble film brought in $17.1 million from 10 countries on opening day Wednesday, including $6.2 million from "Thor" actor Chris Hemsworth's native Australia. Italy's box office saw $3.7 million in receipts for "The Avengers"; France, $2.9 million; Taiwan, $1.3 million; and just under a million in New Zealand.

Who's your favorite superhero? Send in an iReport!

Unsurprisingly, studio Disney tells EW it's "extremely encouraged" by how well "Avengers" is playing in overseas markets, and the early tracking for the movie can only be strengthening that sentiment.

MovieTickets.com has reported that pre-sale for "The Avengers" has outsold the advance tickets sold for "Captain America: The First Avenger"; "Thor"; "Iron Man"; and "Iron Man 2" combined.

With hype like this, "Avengers" has the chance of snagging the best opening weekend gross of all time from current title holder "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2," which reigns having earned $169.2 million in its opening weekend. "Avengers," meanwhile, is currently tracking to bring in between $125 million to $150 million.

So now the question for the rest of us who won't be seeing a penny of that is: Should we see it in 3-D, or not?

Filed under: movies • Summer movies

1. D3 gold US

I don't see how you will should already have that quite a few gold
    D3 gold US http://www.ud3ah.com/D3-GoldUS.html

November 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Allester

The campaign is flriay fun, but nothing special. It's a linear shooting gallery for the most part with horrible pacing, but like I said, it can be fun at times. The story is ok, but not amazing. Multiplayer is flriay fun, but not great. Overall, it's a very mediocre game that is a fun ride, but very forgettable. It really deserved an 8.0 at best in my opinion.

August 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ian. UK

A brilliant movie, the special effects make it a must see on the big screen. And the Hulk smacking Thor wins the prize for the best punch in cinema history.

April 30, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. Artisan Eddie

Awesome movie.

April 29, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PeevedUSCustomer

I'm a little peeved. I hope they lose billions of dollars on pirated copies of this movie.

April 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. WonderWoman

Opened an American everywhere else but the US? FU.

April 29, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jaws

You are obviously in need of a full frontal lobotomy, followed by several sessions of electroshock, along with a high colonic enema to flush the cr@p from your tiny mind. Just sayin....

April 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Zauri

Best movie I've ever seen. Best movie theater experience I've ever had. It's not only deserving of the insane hype, it's so good that no amount of hype can do this movie any justice. A Marvel Fanboy wet dream, best movie ever, I couldn't be more impressed about this.

April 29, 2012 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. yikes

It is funny how this is done. So if someone talks about Jewish control over all what you mentioned in a negative light he is an anti-semite, but if the same things about jewish influence and control are mentioned in a positive way then it is completely acceptable. Sometimes jews themselves boast about how intelligent they are along with other things like 'god's chosen' that have undertones of jewish-supremacy.

April 29, 2012 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. George

So Hitler had it right then, that's what you saying?

April 29, 2012 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Andrew Borne

Bruce,
    Bruce. You're obliviously a time traveler from the late 1930's. Go back! You're not ready for 2012. It's too weird for you.

April 29, 2012 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mike R

Did Disney release the Avengers outside of U.S. first because of too many people here watching bootleg movies for free on the web? Or is Disney punishing the nerds for not falling for the marketing techniques for John Carter?

April 29, 2012 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

I'm pretty sure the bootlegs come from overseas.

April 29, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
    • welll i dunno but

welll i dunno but i thought the asian markets had even more piracy that the US, so that cant be why. I also don't think they are punishing the US, but i think this could be a trend to test out the "mega" budget films abroad with enough time to re market the film if needed. I think if anything, John Carter shook their confidence in knowing a fan base, but again that guy got fired, so i don't think Disney is doing anything because of John Carter except move on with their lives as kings of the world

April 29, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jeremy

Whoah. That is one seriously weird reaction to an article about the Avengers.

April 29, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. mbane

More Hollywood %$#$. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing this movie.

April 28, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Tick

Yet you had a enough time to put your two cent in to say your not going to see it....like your words will entice others not to see it...was that why you stated that??? If you don't plan on seeing it how about try this don't say nothing and DONT SEE IT!

April 28, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • zrxgrim

Thanks for reading and commenting though, your participation has been noted!

April 28, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jake

Just saw it in one of the private screenings....

It's ok...I'm not going to say it was superior or anything..but there needs to be less explanation on the forming of the avengers...and more action.

April 28, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

Yeah, kinda figured... no way thia can live up to the hype and I think people know that

April 29, 2012 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  16. Robert

All of the hero characters are believable EXCEPT for Scarlet Johansen, who I have a very difficult time taking seriously. I think she gets parts because she knows people. And being a Jew in Hollywood certainly seems to help you know people.

April 28, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • raxx

JUST SAW IT...TERRIBLE!! OVERYHPYED...I WANT MY MONEY BACJK!!!!

April 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mennoknight

Give me a break about the Jew thing. Let me guess the Jews are trying to take over the world through the banks and the movies too!
      My savior was a Jew, his name is Jesus and I love Jews.
      From a Mennonite.

April 28, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ricardo

Do you really think Scarlett Johansson is only chosen for roles because she's jewish? Do you even know how many jews are in Hollywood?
      i like her for mainly 2 reasons: 1 like her acting, 2 she's 1 of the hottest stars in Hollywood. btw im catholic.

April 28, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jt_flyer

Hollywood keeps saying She's beautiful and talented. I don't see either. She MUST know someone for sure.

April 28, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. shortfinger

why are they releasing some of these movies over sea before they are released here? usually they release them all at the same time

April 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. narutogrey

It seems like people here don't realize that the majority of US blockbusters open up a week or 2 outside of the US before it opens here. The Avengers is no different. Recently even the smaller movies open out in Asia and Europe before here. If you were to not watch a movie because of this, there probably are only a handful of movies you'd be able to watch.

April 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. edvhou812

The Anal Avengers?

April 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Campbell

Ah, look! Nora Gayle is stupid! "...and he's an Aussie yucky." LOL! Cap is AMERICAN, you moron! THOR is an Aussie. You're an idiot.

April 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  21. sue james

90% C G I

April 28, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Hugh Williams

Its a sad day for film when the biggest buzz is over a damn comic book adaptation.

April 28, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Campbell Glass

Almost as sad as someone taking the time to post about it instead of fixing all the OTHER stuff that he clearly thinks is more pressing? Almost that sad?

April 28, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

And years of running soap operas, Oprah being tops in day time TV, and scores of Fast/Furious sequels are encouraging?

April 28, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • William Dungan

No doubt.

April 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Better than watching the weirdo adult raincoat crowd going to kids animated movies, by themselves.

April 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

FAIL

April 28, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

You misspelled "Typical" as "Sad". I was into Comic Books when I was a kid, so I'm looking forward to it. I don't need to be "intellectually stimulated" when I go to the movies, my only requirement is that I'm entertained.

April 29, 2012 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
    • rico

A good story is a good story regardless of the content.

April 29, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  23. Alfonso Pascual

It was one heck of a movie!!! Even my mom enjoyed it! She kept asking who these characters are. What she remembers were the "justice league" heroes. How the super heroes evolved through time. Avengers rock!!! It is a blockbuster here in the Philippines.

April 28, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  24. ComicChick

Um, I think Chris Evans (Captain America) is actually from Massachusetts. Chris Hemsworth (Thor) is originally from Australia and though I'm not an Aussie myself, think he carried the role pretty well. Most Australians I've met have been rather charming, but perhaps I've just been lucky. :)

April 28, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  25. jonas

not seeing it in 3d or at night. wanna make me wait for a week , ok fine. i still gonna see it but pay the least amount of money possibe. f/u disney. this is an american fan boy movie. bad move.

April 28, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • ms codpiece

like disney is he only one trying to rape the public of the 3d extra charges....i can't see in 3D regardless so they will never get my money....but I don't blame the corporations....i blame the public for feeding into the hype. Now if they can please stop the hand held shaky camera thing so people can actually see the action....then I will be good!...can't wait to see this!

April 28, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jeff

There's already a million bootleg streams out there.

April 28, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  27. eric

I wouldn't bother seeing in 3D. It was fantastic with out it.

April 28, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  28. davidkscholes

It's very early days yet but the early reviews and early box office takings look very good.

As someone who bought the original Avengers comic as a kid in 1963 the movie has a special significance. I think bringing all the star talent and Marvel icons together is an aweosme task and it seems like Whedon was the man for the job. This should definitely be Marvel's biggest yet!

As an Aussie sci-fi writer: http://www.lulu.com/shop/david-scholes/soldier-of-the-brell/paperback/product-20075017.html I’ve written a solid collection of Marvel (espec Thor) fan fiction, why not check it out? http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1276881/David_Scholes

April 28, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  29. Marketing Guy

Wow!! This movie is better than: property at Love Canal, BIG Tobacco or Dick Chaney for President! Everyone should spend lots of money and see it many times. Buy the day old popcorn too, it's a collector item! Wash it down with a pail of Coke, everyone likes a big person.

April 28, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  30. j0eschm0e

I hope it tops the box office records. Im sick of hearing harry potter this harry potter that. it is time to stomp that record.

April 28, 2012 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  31. Rohit Singh

I saw in IMAX 3D in Mumbai, India. Boy! It rocked.

April 28, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  32. eoghan

iv seen it in ireland. It lives up to the hype and more. Everyone shines, the dilagoue is witty, its shot extremely well, the action is the best ever and ....this movie IS ALL ABOUT THE HULK

April 28, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  33. LInda Sedlacek

I went to go see the first show that they had on Thursday. It was a long movie but worth it!! I thought it was one of the best movies made in a while. You have to stay for the last bit after the credits run though. If you don't this sort of stuff then why are you even reading this??

April 28, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  34. Gordon

Will likely see it but not until a few weeks after opening so I can use my gift cards. Will likely be the only movie I actually see in the theatres this year, and then I'll buy the Blu Ray used somewhere online a month after its release. Buck the Hollywood money-making machine just on general principle. Greed, as they say, is good - but so is free-ridin.

April 28, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Zach

Wow, that'll show 'em!!! You're such a badass! I'll bet you'll bring the entire Hollywood system to it's knees, and they'll be begging you for mercy after you stick it to 'em like that! (Get a life, man...)

April 28, 2012 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
    • j0eschm0e

typical free-riding liberal

April 28, 2012 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  35. rick

that was a dumb move by the movie company. And they will wonder why next week when its released in america why the sales figures werent as high as they hoped. Its because we all got a good quality Asian Bootleg

April 27, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian P

Never saw the appeal in watching a flawed bootleg CAM of a good movie on a PC or small TV. Are you really that broke that you can't spend $6 to go to a matinee showing?

April 28, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Oh yes, because the "Asian Bootlegs" are a far superior product that the American public can't do without. It's been taking such a huge bite out of Hollywood, and the video camera's in the hands of a 5'2" person are crippling them. Ur a Boozo... This movie will do very very well.. Unlike ur career,,,

April 28, 2012 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
    • bdgfn

Nope. It takes a while for good quality bootlegs to get made. All you'll get in a week is some idiot holding a video camera on the screen. The video will be crap and the sound will be even worse.

April 28, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. raldovet

Good thing "Avengers" opened first outside North America (esp. here in Asia ... BTW I'm from the Philippines). This reduces the income of pirated DVDs spreading across our streets. When a potential blockbuster movie is first shown in the US, we usually expect pirated DVDs to appear in our backyard in just 2 days. Pity most of us here would rather spend $1 on cheap low quality pirated movies ($1) than spend $5 on the silver screen, or $10 for IMAX. No to piracy!

April 27, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • canadianpirate

pirating rules!
      the number of good movies put out by hollywood is miniscule compaed to the vast number of cr$p they spew out!

April 28, 2012 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  37. MSmith2036

Really? You're not going to see it JUST because it premiered some place else? Grow up!

April 27, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jason

So much drama! I'm looking forward to the movie and I hope it does well.

April 27, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  39. ?

Thor was dumb. Iron Man 2 was dumb. Iron Man and The Hulk (ver.1 & 2) were OK. Never saw Captain America due to his unimpressive abilities (i.e., marginal superhuman strength + dumb shield). The Avengers could do with only The Hulk, Thor and Iron Man. The inclusion of mere humans, Black Widow and Hawkeye, astonishes me. I predict The Avengers will be average.

April 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • eoghan

you dear sir, are an idiot

April 28, 2012 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • bdgfn

You do realize the movie is made from a comic book, right? The producers didn't create it. And the comic book series was one of the most popular ever.

April 28, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. GreaseGeek

Also, overhype is not an issue here. The trailers and commercials barely show you anything in the movie. It is over 2 hrs long and not a single line is wasted.

April 27, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  41. NanookoftheNorth

ABC/Disney shamelessly promoted this movie this week on our last remaining soap, General Hospital, by building several scenes throughout the hour program around 2 of the cast members talking about how excited they were to get tickets to the "super early screening" ,while standing outside a make-believe movie theater with huge posters in the background.

ABC/Disney did absolutely NOTHING to save our other two ABC soaps last year but have no qualms about this outrageous "product placement" ! !

April 27, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  42. ricardo rivera

All theathers in colombia sold out. Amazing movie.

April 27, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  43. GreaseGeek

I have seen it and anyone who refuses to go just because other countries saw it first are missing out on the most entertaining movie in a very long time. It is AMAZING!
    We got to go to an early screening.

April 27, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • NanookoftheNorth

Probably heard about that 'early screening' on General Hospital, huh ? ;-)

April 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Luminus

@craig & @ meep:

That's the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard in my entire life to not go to the movies. Get off your high horse, already. Movies aren't made just for Americans. The arrogance with you 2 is astounding. Here's a link on the subject, if you must know the answer (but I Harlequinn has already explained it quite nicely):

April 27, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meep

Where did anyone say American movies were made just for Americans? It's rude and obnoxious not to open at the same time. One of the main character above is Captain who?

April 27, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  45. iBod

I'll be one to say I won't be seeing this film. Too much overhype...just wait, and see. It'll be an "okay" film. I've seen Thor and Captain America and the Hulk reboot. I honestly did not like them as much as Iron Man 2, and I thought the first Iron Man was the better of the two.

The Avengers - It's one of those Wait Til It Comes To DVD films. Honestly.

April 27, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • deedubya78

And you say this because you have actually seen the movie, right?

April 27, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • j

That is strictly your opinion.

April 27, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • eoghan

your an idiot, but well done. your missing out on the best superhero movie iv ever seen. amazing in the cinema. iv seen it in ireland. by the way grow up

April 28, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  46. craig

Yes, I gotta agree with meep. WHat the hell? I skip movies that pull crap like this also.
    I mean, i dont care. No excuses. If it aint that important to open a movie here at the same
    time as the rest of the world. I dont need to see it first either. Im sure it would do gangbusters
    without me anyway. Yet, i have a 9-yr-old who's dyin to see it.
    I hate goin to the theatre anymore. The last movie i saw was Cap America at a dollar theatre
    with my son. The sound was outstanding. No probs. I think Ill be goin there from now on to
    catch a movie, IF!! i have the urge to see one in qa theatre
    I have a 42 inch tv at home. I can play it as loud as i want. No one interupts.
    I can stop it, get food, go back....i hate the theatres. $20+ to see a film. Thats nuts.
    Ill buy my kid the single disc dvd and he can watch it whenever he wants.

Again, I agree with meep. This isnt somethin to get all angry about. No drama.
    But, why show it around the world and not here?
    Im waitin for Prometheus. Why? I saw Batman. Loved it. Iron Man was great.
    Saw the last Hulk movie and thought it was good. I can wait for this on dvd.
    Fact is, i can wait for em all on dvd. save money...

April 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Treg

Craig..not sure what your 42" TV or your 9 year old have to do with this ? Are you trying to impress someone ? funny you spent the money for the TV, but won't spend $20 for a movie. I'm guessing your synthetic masculinity is overflowing and you thought you'd come in here with the adults and try to make an impression. You did...immature as it is. Silly little boy.

April 28, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

So you're not going to take your 9-year-old because it opened overseas first? What difference does it make? Grow the hell up.

April 28, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

i am sick of people bihitcng about how oh cod sucks its suxs or its the worst multiplayer game ever i mean really does anyone ever rember what the real cod games were about? They were tributes to WW2 vets. KNOW people are bihitcng about cod Mw2 suxs i can understand that they hate campers but the blame infinity ward for it do you think infinity ward wanted camping in it if your gunna blame camping on something do it to the players not the companies.

August 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Meep

Why would they open an American in other countries first? I skip movies that do that, it should always open at the same time minimum. It's a slap in the face for American fans. Too bad I really wanted to see it.

April 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yoda

Yep, and the MPAA "wonders" why there's a market for bootleg foreign copies of these films on the internet a week before US release. Releases should be simultaneous; anything less is an excuse.

April 27, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harlequinn

Because the first weekend in May is the start of the "Summer Movie" cycle and big budget block buster films get release date priority on the schedule in the US by most distributors. In Europe, European films are given release date priority. Given the choice of releasing it a week early or possibly several weeks later, releasing it early in Europe creates buzz in the US, and ususally results in boosting the opening weekend totals. I am hoping that you are just witty and sarcastic – it is hard to tell online sometimes and if this is the case, my sincere apologies, however if you are going to refrain from seeing the Avengers just because you feel slapped in the face by the business of film distribution, it is your right to express your opinion by a personal film boycott, but I am betting that no one will notice or care...

April 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Finn

If it's a good movie, opening it overseas helps build positive reviews which gets more people in the U.S. to see the movie when it comes out. Get used to it, it'll start happening more often.

April 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

That's a pathetic reason not to see a film you were looking forward to!

April 28, 2012 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
    • bdgfn

Well, obviously, you don't really want to see it all that badly or you'd go. Who cares where it opens first? Do you get upset when there is a limited opening in, say, New York, Chicago, LA and San Diego and you can't see it that week? No difference.

April 28, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

@Meep: what color is the sky on your planet?

April 28, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  48. sean

i like playing with my starfish!!

April 27, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Gouda

The Cap'n looks like a patriotic gimp

April 27, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |