Aretha Franklin talks new album and biopic
April 27th, 2012

Aretha Franklin talks new album and biopic

Powerhouse Aretha Franklin is set to receive the Music Icon award this Sunday during the TV Land Awards, and the singer's planning to keep her legacy alive with new music.

She recently told Billboard she’s reunited with industry vet Clive Davis to record an upcoming album, and she wants Ne-Yo and other popular R&B voices to participate.

“I'd love to get some Ne-Yo songs on there,” the 70-year-old told the publication of her upcoming RCA project while backstage at the TV Land taping. “Kenny ['Babyface'] Edmonds I've been talking to, and he has some songs that might be a good fit.”

The soul legend - who called off her wedding to fiance Willie Wilkerson earlier this year - also discussed her much-talked-about-but-recently-postponed biopic.

“It's actually still very active,” she said of the film, for which she's openly advocated for Halle Berry to play her. “We've just been having a lot of conversations about who would play my dad and my family. So, right now it's a ... standoff.”

In the meantime, Ms. Franklin has also turned her attention to her son's music career. “I'm recording with my son Eddie [Franklin]," she said. "He's got a terrific R&B CD coming out, I'd expect in July, and I produced some of it."

1. tom

Poor Aretha...all those health issues and weight loss (no..we don't believe you didn't have bypass) must've done something to her head. I have LOVED her for 50yrs and still cannot fathom the idea of Halle Berry playing her. Does Aretha really think HB could possibly look ANYTHING like her? Even in her teens Aretha was not a tiny little woman and not what one would call a beauty. Halle is great....but really not the right choice. Jennifer Hudson would be perfect...she might have to put bak on some of that weight she lost...but sadly I think all of us who've lost weight can easily find it again.

April 30, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cedric Butler

hallie berry is not the one Jennifer Hudson would be perfect

April 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer's Agent

This roll has jennifer's name written all over it. Even though Jennifer can sing they still won't b able 2 use her voice because Aretha's voice is so unique. But besides that she's the perfect choice. You know youre a living legend when even in your prime u weren't that pretty to say the least and you try to get Halle berry to Play u in a movie about yourself. Halle Berry?? That would be like getting David Beckham to play me in a movie. The only thing is I'm like 5 ft 1 and I'm black. Lol – Does Aretha have that many yes men around her that not 1 of them can tell her this isn't a good idea? Wow. I hope I never get that famous and have that much $ where people start telling me I look like David Beckham. Lol

April 30, 2012 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. jillmarie

Honestly, a biopic would be great- but I'm sorry, not starring Halle Berry unless they severly altered her appearance. Maybe someone who has both singing and acting chops- Jennifer Hudson would have been perfect, before she trimmed down.
    Why not the gal who as in the Help that won the Oscar- was that Viola Davis? maybe she can sing. Anyway, I'd love a biopic of Aretha!

April 29, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mrs Wright

Halle Berry to play Aretha? Re re MUST BE HIGH!!!

April 28, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tj

What ever happen to the biopic on Marvin Gaye?? It's long overdue. I thought the guy from Law & Order was perfect for the role.

April 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

THAT is a great idea. Also think his bio is long overdue and Jesse Martin is almost a clone...and the man can sing...saw him in original B'way version of Rent. He's awesome.

April 30, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Richard Fore

Up your nose with a rubber hose you fu<king loser. Hope your cat gets eaten by a coyote this weekend.

April 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |