Chilli and T-Boz reflect on passing of Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes
April 25th, 2012

Chilli and T-Boz reflect on passing of Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes

Ten years ago on April 25, the life of TLC group member Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes was tragically cut short at the age of 30 after she was killed in a car crash in Honduras.

And while this date is referred to as the 10-year "anniversary" of Lopes' death, the two surviving members of the seminal hip-hop/R&B group, Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas, say "anniversary" isn't quite the right word.

In a statement tweeted by Chilli, T-Boz says that "the word anniversary means a celebration. For us her death will never be a celebration, it's still something that hurts."

Chilli concurs, adding that Left Eye "is our sister. You never get over losing a family member. We love her and we miss her and that isn't ever going to change."

While this year marks the decade that's passed since Left Eye's death, it's also the 20th anniversary for TLC. Chilli and T-Boz are planning to commemorate the milestone with tour dates, a new album and a biopic about the group that's set to roll out on VH1.

"It's going to be like a movie-of-the-week on VH1," Chilli explained to Essence.com. "I'm really excited about it, this was a dream of mine."

As far as casting, T-Boz told Essence that "it's going to have to be new kids; I can't think of anybody that can play us. It's not just about looking like me or dressing like me, you have to have the attitude, the dance moves."

Kate Lanier, who penned the screenplays for "What's Love Got to Do With It" and "Set It Off," is tackling the TLC biopic script, and T-Boz hopes the movie will be out before the end of 2012.

In the meantime, though, the two are being supported by fans, who've also reached out to Chilli via Twitter to share their condolences.

"Thank u all so much for ur kind words," the singer posted Tuesday afternoon. "[A]nd thank u for always remembering our sister, 'Lisa Left Eye Lopes' TLC is 4eva!!!!!"

Filed under: Music

« Previous entry
  1. icons design

What do you mean?

hpixel

September 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dylethat

i can't not wait until this movie comes out, proud of yall two. tlc fans is for ever

August 12, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. 90's music fan

I heard there was basically nothing left (recognizable) of her face and head. It was like smashing an egg and having nothing but pieces and yolk left. Nothing left above the lower jaw, eyes were displaced and protruded out and hung by the retinal nerve. Sinus cavity opened and exposed, brain matter covered the inside of the vehicle.

April 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • get your facts right

Not sure what your point is with that comment. Is it supposed to be funny? Regardless, that isn't even remotely correct. She died of head and neck injuries after being thrown from the car. Took me about 5 seconds to find that on google. If you need more proof, you can find all the pictures you want on google images. Hardly "like smashing an egg."

April 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Marlee

Don't go chasing waterfalls...

April 26, 2012 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. joe

That was one hot chick with a really good flow to her rap style.

April 26, 2012 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. trollin

You crazy jig-abooos. Don't cry over that googly-eyed freak! She was a gangsta thug!! If she was alive today, I would smash her lil cooon face in!!!

April 26, 2012 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. Optima Moving

April 26, 2012 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Phil Collins

haha raise your hand if you have ever wanted to straight up slap a mex.ican

April 26, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. P.J Magnum

yes it also wreeks of ar.ab too

April 26, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Samsonite

why does it stink of white boy in here

April 26, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Yung thug

Yo disss beee ya boi yung thug and i beez dat ill brotha who cant pass my GED cuuuussss. I got dat ish 4 da lo.. Deeeeeeet da dee

April 26, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Truth

Didn't left eye burn someone's house down?

April 26, 2012 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. T pain

TA sucks d.i.c.k for crack

April 26, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. Adx

yep.. Josh is definitely a f.a.g.

April 26, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. ta

how did this response get printed! you should be ashamed of yourself for writing this

April 26, 2012 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  16. Al

Oh Lisa it's been 10 years but it seems like it happened today. I miss you so much.

April 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. YUNG DEZZ

iI SEND MY LOVE AND RESPECT OUT "LISA" ANYDAY WE LOVE U MAMA AND UU WILL FOREVER BE REMEMBERED R.I.P
    MARQUIS TRU FAN INDEED

April 25, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Lady's man

Teachin people to wear a condom over your left eye is why there are so many pregnant teens.

April 25, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. JeTaime Paiser

Ten years...can't believe it. Thankyou for the awesome music such a big part of my ipod today. xoxo

April 25, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Charlie

No, actually the word anniversary means "turning of the year", literally. It has nothing to do with "celebration", but we wouldn't expect no rappin' foo' to know nuttin bout dat.

April 25, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. DARTH VADER

my nieces had their hair done like these girls did back then.

yep,they are still ghetto trash

April 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Imani

I loved TLC. Love that music from the 90s. I cannot believe it has been that long since she passed away. I remember it well. They had spunk and sass. I will go to see the movie! RIP Left Eye.

April 25, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  23. spaceman1978

why does god leave us with the ones that suck? Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Waka flaka, Gucci Mane, Justin Bieber, why God why?

April 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. spaceman1978

Damn I miss the great artist.of my youth Left eye, Aaliyah, Tupac, Biggie, Jam Master Jay, Eazy E, Big Pun, Michael Jackson, gone but never forgotten... rest in peace!!

April 25, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. sabinabarnes

Tlc will always have a special place in my heart. Those back in the days songs will live forever. Now begin a again and hold on to your memories.

April 25, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. NFC

I only remember she was crazy and tried to burn down Andre Risons mansion.

April 25, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Yazida Mahmoud

I LOVE YOU TLC! R.I.P LISA. LEFT EYE. GONE BE NEVER FORGOTTEN. @T.BOZ & CHILLI, KEEP DOING YOUR THING! ONE?

April 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jeff

TLC, Please do not do some sort of tour with some B.S. Holographic image of Left Eye. Doing this just reeks of pathetic money grubbing. TLC is done. Move along and form a new group. Also, Waterfalls is one of my Fav songs.

April 25, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Go TLC! I Would love to see a holographic image of Left Eye up on stage with them. Fantastic idea! Can't wait to see all the copy cats doing holographics!

April 30, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. bunny johnson

She wasa beautifull woman an will always be missed.u still love the music of TLC

April 25, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Maggie McDuh

I can't believe it's been 10 years! It seems like yesterday, but at the time I remember being excited about her working with NSYNC and that's been a day or two as well. She is missed and loved. I hope to see her in heaven one day.

April 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Ms. Jordan

I grew up listening to TLC & was so ad when Left Eye passed. I cant believe it has been 10 years. I believe that even though anniversary is a celebration. The two remaining members should celebrate her life. Dont let the date make you feel sad use the date to rejoice in the wonderful person she was for you and the amazing artist she was for the music industry & her fans.

April 25, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Erika

WOW 10 years already; those were my girls growing up; I loved and still love their music! Left Eye was a talented lady; she'll never be forgotten! Keep jammin T-Boz and Chilli

April 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Nahlo

@ Carol you hope she is in heaven with God. Everyone is not going to heaven; only those that believe in God, have accepted him into their hearts, and are living a sin-free life. None but the righteous shall see God.

April 25, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • jem morgue

You're funny. When we die, our synapses stop firing and we rot. When no more neural activity (brain no worky, cause you're dead) occurs, you can't form your God in your little brain anymore. When you die, so does your goofy god.

April 26, 2012 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  34. Mark

Whoa! TLC! They were HUGE back in the day!! I freakin loved them. I can't wait to see the movie.

April 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Carol

Yes.. it is sad to lose a loved one! Yes ,,anniversary is celebration.... Yes.. thei is the 10th anniversary of her death! CELEBRATE THE IDEA THAT SHE IS IN HEAVEN WITH GOD AND NO LONGER SUFFERING THE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF THIS WORLD! You didnt lose a friend n loved one,,,, YOU GAINED AN ANGEL!

April 25, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Greg

It was a shame she left this world so early, but GOD has something else in store for you ladies, GOOD LUCK!

April 25, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Andre Rison

we sure had some hot times...

April 25, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jack Neville

I can't believe it's been ten years. TLC was no-doubt a part of growing up for my cousin and I. Much love goes out to the remaining members of the group and for LeftEye who is smiling down from heaven on her sisters. Best of luck to T-Boz and Chilli for their future projects. I'll be looking forward to tour dates.

April 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  39. trix are for kids

They sure had some good hits back in the day. Waterfalls was probably one of their most powerful songs and best songs to date.

April 25, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Diego

She had beautiful eyes. Agreed?

April 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Paul Lockland

Boy time does fly,I was in ninth grade when left was killed now i'm in grad school.Left Eye T- Boz and Chilli brought me a lot of happiness in my youth.

April 25, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |