Sinead O'Connor cancels tour due to bipolar disorder
April 24th, 2012

Sinead O'Connor cancels tour due to bipolar disorder

Those who were hoping to catch one of Sinead O'Connor's upcoming performances were disappointed on Tuesday, as the singer has canceled the remainder of her U.S. tour.

As a note posted on her website explains, the "Nothing Compares 2 U" songstress hasn't been feeling well.

"With enormous regret I must announce that I have to cancel all touring for the year as [I] am very unwell from bipolar disorder," O'Connor reportedly wrote in a note on her website, which was then re-posted on a fansite. Her official website appeared to be suspended on Tuesday morning.

"As you all know I had a very serious breakdown between December and March and I had been advised not to go on tour," O'Connor reportedly  continued. "But [I] didn't want to 'fail' or let anyone down as the tour was already booked to coincide with the album release. So very stupidly I ignored [my doctor's] advice to my great detriment, attempting to be stronger than I actually am."

O'Connor was set to play shows in Milwaukee, Chicago, Washington D.C., Philadelphia and New York in the coming weeks in support of her ninth studio album, "How About I Be Me (And You Be You)?" which was released in February.

"I apologize sincerely for any difficulties this may cause," O'Connor wrote, adding that she does hope to perform at a Curtis Mayfield tribute event in July.

The past few months have been a rough ride for O'Connor, who went through a whirlwind 16-day on-again, then off-again marriage last December, followed by a suicide attempt and requests for help via Twitter earlier this year.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. SKY

SO MANY TRY TO PLEASE OTHER, OR PEOPLE THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW.....
    YOU TAKE CARE OF YOU FIRST, THEN YOU CAN HELP OTHERS.....
    LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTORS, IF YOU NEED HELP, GET IT.....
    IT'S A BEAUTIFUL THING WHEN YOU UNDERSTAND YOU!

April 26, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. K

The level of ignorance displayed here is amazing. There are reasons people have trouble, and many of you lot are the source of it. "The world is not a nice place." Only because you deem it to be so, and obviously encourage it. I feel sorry for anyone using this as an excuse to be cruel. You are the ones who should be ashamed, because even kindergarteners learn how to get along and care for each other.

April 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The Dude

Lay off the ganja Sinead, it is causing your problems....

Moderation is the Key!

April 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. esoteric1

she looks like crap

April 25, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sam99999

Dang, people, judge on looks much?? And yeah she's always been a little nutty, and admits it, but she does have a good voice and has recorded some great music beyond the "I do not want..." lp.

April 25, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kris

I havent heard her newer stuff but her old stuff is beyond awesome. It is too bad her personal troubles are overshadowing her talent. her debut album "The Lion and The Cobra" is phenomenal, along with "I Do Not Want What I haven't Got." Recommended downloads from ITunes: "Mandinka", "The Emperor's New Clothes", "YOu Cause As Much Sorrow", "I Want Your (Hands On Me)", "Just Like U Said It Would B"

April 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Andrew Z

"Concert dates have been cancelled due to unexpected gross front moving through the area.. Should this ever clear, dates will be rescheduled"

April 25, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Flyboy7588

Who??

April 25, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. derp

She is bipolar, some days her music sucks a little, some days it sucks a lot.

April 25, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

Artists. Get a grip.

April 25, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. hadeenuff

WOW!!
    She really turned into a beast.

April 25, 2012 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
    • iceandsnow3

You got that right! She was beautiful years ago but now if you just saw a head shot you'd think you were looking at a bald man. WHY do women shave their heads (excluding the ones with a disease like cancer, for instance) in the first place? I know it's fashionable for men to be bald but unless you're in a science fiction film why deliberately look as unattractive as possible? I don't get it.

April 25, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. jimbob1187

Does she have a FUPA in that pic? EWWWW

April 25, 2012 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
    • astrosquirrel

How can you tell? A FUPA goes well past the pubic bone. The pic stops at the hip. Learn your insult anatomy!

April 25, 2012 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tom

Tragedy.

April 25, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • observing

alot of people are bipolar and don't get help. hopefully she'll get help

April 25, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jowl

Why do we give this Sienead person all this attention when it's abundantly clear she cannot handle it? It's the media equivalent of giving an alcoholic a bottle just to watch them crash and burn. If her life results in a tragic death, these record execs and media corporations are to blame.

April 25, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Antwoine

too right.

April 25, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • abceasyas123

alot of people have alcoholic husbands who cheat, suffer from depression,.before they judge who is a coward they need to look at their own business before they also talk on internet.

April 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. toocy

@ trying to remember: thanks for pointing that out. I guess many people are so unwilling to admit they were wrong about her, all they can do is throw out hate.

April 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mousecar

She is an amazing talent, and bipolar and talent are not uncommon. Peace Sinead and looking forward to more music coming from her in the future.

April 24, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Bob

She's old and without talent, naggers. if you say otherwise you haven't heard her recently.

April 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jowl

I agree. She's another laryn hill, her mental illness has robbed her of the talent she once had as a youth.

April 25, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  18. mmiller

There is a group of commenters here who have no compassion at all for anyone. It's sad to see so many sick, unhappy people beating up on another human who is having a rough go of it at the moment. You are a sad reflection of what our society has become and a wake up call as to where our society and world is heading. You are the darkest, most self absorbed people I have encountered and I'm only happy I will never meet any of you in person.

April 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • lisa

Thank you, mmiller, I wholeheartedly agree. Nobody cares about anybody anymore. It's sad and more than a little scary.

April 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snidley

High horse much, mmiller? How's the weather up there? Trust me, if you did know me, I'd have the same opinions to you in person. In fact, I'm sure some of your friends and/or family may feel the same way I do: she's a has been drama queen. Ask around. So lets dispense with the "oh woah is society" bit and face the reality that people have opinions and are free to share them. I feel sorry for YOU.

April 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

Amen! I agree with every word you said. People are such vicious cowards on the internet.

April 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • observer

some people have husbands who cheat, some people are bipolar, some people just have issues...hopefully she'll get the help she needs.

April 25, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. t3chsupport

Not even a hot mess.... just a mess. That whole wedding story was probably the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of happening to anyone getting married. Her singing makes baby Jesus cry.

It's time to move on, Sinead. On to the next part in your life, where you figure out what the hell it is you're actually trying to do, because being a pop star just ain't it for you. Do some sad commercials for the ASPCA or something, spearhead some cause, do what other stale celebrities do. Stop trying to be something you never will be again, it's painful to watch.

April 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Debbie

I've read that she has Fibromyalgia & that was the reason she was out of the spotlight for so long. Now she has Bi-Polar. Does she have both disorders or just one?

April 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cdgfla

Lets see....her one "hit" was a cover of a Prince song that wasn't even as good as the original. Why do we care about her again?

April 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • trying to remember

Sinead was the first one to stand up publicly and condemn the Catholic church for their systematic acceptance of child abuse by priests.

April 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • lisa

@trying to remember...You're absolutely right about that. That's when she tore up the picture of the Pope on SNL and the public ripped her to shreds for that, and even today people hate her for it. They don't care that she was protesting child abuse in the Catholic church.

April 24, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. lisa

I'm worried about her. She's clearly been unwell for a while now and people are just laughing at her. She has a mental illness, which is nothing to laugh about. What if she was your sister? Get well, Sinead.

April 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. suzanne

I guess she has always been bipolar. She does not look too bright anyway. She should go into rehab and never move out of there. She is a nut case

April 24, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Lars Babaganoosh

She's not crazy, she's just a little unwell.

April 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mark

As someone who has known people with Bi-polar disorder, it is a very difficult condition for those who have it. Please show some compassion for her, as she obviously has been displaying symptoms for many months. The fact that she didn't want to disappoint her fans by cancelling her tour is very admirable but clearly she realized she had to do that very thing if she wanted to stabilize her condition.

April 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Skinhead O'Connor

I'm happy. No wait I'm sad. No wait I'm happy. Now I'm sad again. Oh bollocks!

April 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sineadishot

She's hot.

April 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. erich2112x

The tour will be back on by this afternoon.

April 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Desert Dweller

Remember what The Chairman of the Board said about her?

April 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Desert Dweller

Of course, everyone knows the Chairman of the Board was/is Frank Sinatra.

April 24, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. newsintegrity

Wow, what a bunch of trolls. I'm not even a SO fan, but can identify and sympathise with what she is going through. I just can't understand how some of you people just can't wrap your head around something like this, yet you can hop on the anti-bullying campaign. It blows my mind how someone can be so pro pro pro, then turn around and chastize someone going through a serious trama and blow mentally and emotionally.

April 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Over-Under

I'll say what I want – Got it, hero? She goes and provides her opinions to the world, I can provide my opinions of her and her music. Don't like it? Turn off the internet and return to kindergarden. The world is not a nice place.

April 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

Yeah, don't be a hero is right.

April 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  31. concordantmind

Get well Sinead.

April 24, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Andrew

"Dim" is a very apt name for you, since you clearly are not very intelligent. You need to do some research on bi-polar disorder given your obvious ignorance of it. Bi-polar disorder has absolutely nothing to do with alternating personalities.

April 24, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Elisa Jordana

Next stop, Bellevue Hospital.....

April 24, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |