Julia Louis-Dreyfus wins our vote as the 'Veep'
April 23rd, 2012

Julia Louis-Dreyfus wins our vote as the 'Veep'

Confession time: If someone told me a show that was equal parts "The West Wing" and "The Larry Sanders Show" was forthcoming, I'd already be intrigued.

Throw in Julia Louis-Dreyfus and a strong supporting cast, including Anna Chlumsky, "Arrested Development's" Tony Hale and "Upright Citizens Brigade" vet Matt Walsh, and it's hard to see how it can miss.

Sunday night's premiere episode definitely lived up to its potential. This being a comedy, you have to guess that Louis-Dreyfus' Vice President Selina Meyer is not going to be an idealized figure like Martin Sheen's President Josiah Bartlett by any stretch of the imagination.

At the same time, she's thankfully not a clone of Amy Poehler's Leslie Knope from "Parks and Recreation," either. (She's also not "Seinfeld's" Elaine Benes, for that matter.)

Vice President Meyer is constantly on the verge of avoiding some kind of crisis or another, and just trying to keep her head above water. The job of vice president, of course, can be a thankless task, and this "Veep" is certainly keenly aware of that.

Chlumsky and Hale, as Selina's two most trusted staffers, Amy and Gary, provide a great balance as the overachiever and the less-than-competent.

An early moment where someone made a throwaway joke using the word "retard" ended up coming back to haunt Selina when she repeated it in a speech (at an event the president ditched, and she didn't even want to attend, anyway).

The next thing you know, Selina had to apologize for her gaffe and her staff is fielding calls from press and others. In the midst of a meeting with a representative for the mentally challenged, she learns that Amy accidentally signed her name instead of Selina's on a condolence card, and leaves the meeting to chew out Amy - then returns to the meeting right back in gracious-vice-president mode.

Amy ends up agreeing to a date with Jonah, the unctuous liaison to the president, in order to get a new card to save face.

There were definitely some big laughs in this show – though not non-stop laughs by any means – and I really like its unvarnished, unglamorous treatment of material we've seen quite a few times before. The big question is whether the laughs can be consistent. With the talent involved, I'm pretty confident it will.

Does "Veep" have your vote as well? Will you keep watching? Share your view on video or comment below.

1. Tobym Katekas

Rattling superb information can be found on web blog . "Every obstacle yields to stern resolve." by Leonardo DaVinci.

July 11, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Asma Al Assad

Hey رهملا لتيليدل .... suck it, brah.

April 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. OBSERVER

JULIA'S GREAT.

April 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Will D

It was difficult to watch Julia on such a poorly written HBO show. Convince Frasier writers to come out of retirement and write for this show. The fowl language was so over used and badly timed that it was more disturbing than entertaining to watch. Outside of Julia, the supporting cast is better suited for the theater. Way too dramatic, off the mark of DC staffers and they don't compliment Julia's talent, wit and sense of timing.

April 24, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. BobTheBuilder

8 comments total?! Demonstrates how many people watch this lame show. Cancellation within one month predicted.

April 24, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. achepotle

Interesting points, رهملا لتيليدلب I actually came to this story wanting to comment about Lady Gaga's wax figure, and how it wouldnlt have to work as hard at being a total bore...but you have me thinking...

April 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Art Vandolay

I saw the show. Not funny at all. Maybe if they made Jerry the Prez, Kramer the Sec of State, and George the Defense Secretary....now "there's a show!". And Newman the mailroom guy. -Art

April 23, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Henry Hanks

The series is on HBO Sunday nights after "Game of Thrones."

April 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tom Bruce

If...if I knew it was on, I would have watched it. I'm a big fan of Julia's. However, never heard of the show until I saw this review. What network was it on? You're report doesn't say. Why did they keep it a secret? I'll have to hunt for it now. Julia should sue for non-support.

April 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ben

Sorry, I thought it didn't deliver.

I watch every political related show or movie and I expected this to be better. It had more cringy moments then comic material. The show does not give you the slightest idea why this woman has been picked to become VP and how such incompetent staff managed to get her to this point.

That said, I will be watching more episodes hoping for a better turn of events – and because I'm a political junky so I can't help it.

April 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

@Ben- I'm a political junky, too. I did not watch this show. It could have been a parody, reflecting what things might have been like if Palin was vp. It kind of reflects the McCain/Palin movie "Game Change". I have not seen the movie yet (have it recoded), but according to all the sources, like Steve Schmidt, picking Palin was the biggest mistake of the entire campaign. Picking a woman with absolutely no intelligence ruined their campaign. Thank God, we don't have her for a vp. What if McCain died, and she was President. What a freakin' disaster that would be.

April 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. رهملا لتيليدلب

Ha! A woman being vice president!? You kidding right? Only thing a woman rule is kitchen, and children. Anything else is man duty to ruling over, including woman. Get you acts together, Western countries.

April 23, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Elisa Jordana

ZOMG HAI ALI BABA - Please keep enlightening us with your views on women.

April 24, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |