'Top Model' gets rid of three - but Nigel isn't surprised
April 20th, 2012

'Top Model' gets rid of three - but Nigel isn't surprised

As Heidi Klum tells us on "Project Runway," when it comes to fashion, one day you're in and the next day you're out.

In the case of "America's Next Top Model," it looks like J. Alexander, Jay Manuel and Nigel Barker have gone out of style. The trio's contracts were not renewed as the show heads into its 19th season.

Tyra Banks confirmed that the three, who've been on the long-running CW modeling competition since its infancy, were off the show via her Twitter account.

"Fierce & love 2 my @NigelBarker, @MrJayManuel & Miss J. #ANTM turned us in2 a family. Excited for what the future holds for us. XOXO TyTy," Banks, 38, wrote Thursday night.

Barker, for his part, is taking the news in stride. He told E! that the cuts weren't exactly surprising, since he's faced the "chopping block" before.

"There had been discussions that ratings were down and that something like this would happen," Barker said. "We had an incredible run and there aren't any hard feelings. This isn't a Tyra thing. This is a network thing."

Now that he's off "ANTM," Barker said on his blog that he's looking forward to new projects.

It isn't clear who will be brought in, if anyone, to replace photographer/judge Barker, creative consultant Manuel or "runway trainer"/judge J. Alexander, but the New York Post notes that season 19 is supposed to receive some big changes, including more of a social media bent.

Banks and Ken Mok, her fellow executive producer, told CNN in a statement, “Nigel Barker, Jay Manuel and J. Alexander have been an integral part of the ‘America’s Next Top Model’ brand and they helped turn this show into the household name it is today. They have been amazing assets to the show and will always be a part of the ‘Top Model’ family. We will continue to actively work with each of them on future projects.”

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. bruce

That's a super bad leather coat Jay Manuel is wearing.

April 24, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hope

I want to thank Tyra and the rest of the ANTM people for all of the seasons I enjoyed ANTM, right up to the last few episodes of the All Star Season (those last few episodes didn’t interest me – they were just weird). The British Invasion season is kind of dull, but all right. But now with the departure of the two Jays and Nigel, I won’t watch the show anymore. It’s been getting away from the original premise I enjoyed and apparently for the next season and for seasons to come, it’s just totally becoming a different show. I have no interest in the new version. Best wishes to Mr. Jay, Miss Jay and Nigel. You’re all wonderfully fun, funny, talented and decent people, from what I’ve seen. You will be missed.

April 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JustMe

I love those guys! They made the show for me! The network guys made a horrible call.

April 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. toughcool

When was the last time this show was relevant? If anyone needed to go it was Banks. As for the show itself, it takes some really unattractive women and puts them in awkwards get ups that people consider "artsy" these days. I find nothing model like about any of them. You could dress up anyone in fierce makeup and call them a model if you follow their routine.

April 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

I have to wonder why toughcool was even watching the show! I wonder what you look like behind your computer where no one can see you to judge your... um... stellar good looks! LOL!

April 24, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Robin

As previously posted, the show has been taking a down turn in the past several years. It needs to go back to the old formula and get rid of music videos, booty touché, schimzing etc. I love Tyra but the shows seems to revolve more around her these last few years with the talk of her book and the stupid videos that are made at the end of the season. Most women fans watch the show to see the beautiful fashion, location shoots and final photos of the models. Italian Vogue? What about American Vogue or another American high fashion magazine?

April 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MysteriaKiito

I stopped watching because the models kept getting thinner and sicklier looking and they all but stopped including plus sized models(or in my opinion women of healthy weight!). These three weren't the problem!

April 23, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JEM

The biggest problem with this show is the 38 year old woman refers to herself as Ty Ty

April 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cara

AMEN!

The snow stated going downhill when they started doing "All Stars/British Invasion/Women Under 5'7", etc. Oh and adding that hag Kelly Cutrone. She is such an unlikeable person. Tyra cannot deal with someone who gets more attention or is liked more than she is. She needs to be the center of attention. Just recall the present she gave Miley Cyrus for her 16th birthday!

April 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jenny

I didn't even bother watching this season because the show just plain sucks. After the fiasco of Allison not winning the All Stars I decided it was time to give up for good. I used to watch religously but when it's plain that Tara is going to chose some hoochy-mama who doesn't have a chance in hell of being a model then it's time to tune out.

April 23, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Ah, I see. So the show's no good when some "hoochie momma" wins! In that case, I'm glad Allison didn't win the Allstars nor her season! Bigot!

April 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sandy

Ahh,could be a real mistake – thought the three guys really were great assets to the show – they were very constructive in their criticisms, and really helped mold the woman into something more. Shame the men are leaving – have to say that they really brought class to the show (almost made me forget about the cat fights and the way the girls always keep their posh surroundings a mess). Can't stand the British season – aren't there enough girls from America that want to be on the show??

April 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. observer

this show is still on becaauuuseeeeee....pls.

April 23, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. marykay

I don't see the problem with the three stars, I see the problem as people getting tired of seeing ghetto chicks and all of the drama.....

April 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Arlene

Yep, I'm done with the show. Loved Nigel and the other two. Tyra has always gotten on my nerves since she's such a diva. Did like the new lady judge but I'm done. Will watch the rest of the Brits Vs American's unless they've already gotten rid of the male reasons to watch the show.

April 23, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CatLover7766

IMHO, the reason the ratings are down has nothing to do with the J's or Nigel.. AT ALL, but everything to do with the fact that Tyra has not been sticking with her original formula lately. The All-Stars & the current British Invasion are awful. In addition, she is making the show really tacky by adding such rediculous things as the smize character, as an example, & most recently "booty tooch". I'm about ready to give up on it. Unless she decides to get back to the way the show used to be.

April 23, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. Lane

I'm officially done with ANTM now. I barely watched for the last 2 years, now there's no reason to watch at all! Nigel brought a proven professional eye, and let's be honest, is absolutely gorgeous himself; J Alexander seemed limitless in his creative abilities; and Miss J, along with her over the top personality was a joy to watch AND could back it up with one of the best runway walks in the business, and model experience to boot.

It's been on the edge of the cliff for sure lately, and now Tyra will officially be the one to push it over. Long live the NiJays!

April 23, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kelly

Does the network even realize that for most of us, Nigel and the Jays are the reason we watch? Photo shoots get old, but these three always make me smile and tune in. I think the network might be disappointed at the results of this move.

April 21, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tyrafan

I for one will not watch the show if the Jay's and Nigel aren't there. Um hello Nigel is eye candy and who doesnt love the Jay's. I find it hard to beleive that Tyra can't change this. The last season I watched was the all stars season and IT WAS THE BEST ONE YET!!! This new season didnt even appeal to me with the British Models but whatever. Sorry "TyTy" but you lost an ANTM fan by getting rid of the boys!

April 21, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Snickersmom

Totally agree with you on all accounts. I find Tyra annoying but loved the J's and Nigel. Hate the twist they put on it with the British invasion. They lost me with that change.

April 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  17. amanda

sorry, but if Mr. and Mrs. J and Nigel aren't on the show, I probably won't be watching anymore- the All-Star season was already a debacle with Angelea being kicked off and no reason ever being given- now this season is some hokey US/UK theme...i think it's time for ANTM to bow out

April 21, 2012 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Jackson

Angelea was kicked off because she revealed that she won on her facebook page, long before those final episodes aired. So, she was cut out, and Lisa was made the winner instead. That final scene between Lisa and Allison was reshot after Angelea was let go.

Angelea got stupid and couldn't keep her mouth shut. It cost her big time. Stupid ho!

April 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. rick james

Cocaine is a h e l l of a drug. I want my image on stage like tupac...i am the master of beotch slappin ho3s...slaaaap. now fix me a sammich woman..what? you say sumthin biatch? slaaaap...and leave my blow alone...say what? slaaaaap ..thats rite..now stay in dat closet

April 20, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mary

Will not watch anymore

April 20, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. NeeRe

The show encourages people to be true to themselves. They show us how ordinary, quirky looking girls can be beautiful in ways the average viewer probably would never think of. This is not the first time they have changed cast members, but it is the largest number of changes at once. Stop hating!

April 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mel Camp

I want to bang Tyra really bad,I want to put those long legs on shoulders and get in deep'i'll bet her p@ssy is wet.

April 20, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mizh

Too bad, as I didn't mind looking at Nigel at all... best wishes to the three guys~

April 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  23. SAE

the beginning of the end. those 3 are are a few things i love about the show. next season will be the last. i guarantee it.

April 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. robyndonaldson

Tyra IS the show. It is her expertise that helps molds these girls. I think they had a wonderful run, 19 seasons are amazing these days in TV. They should be proud of the brand they created and the influence they've had on the fashion industry, giving these girls jobs and careers they would have never had without the show. Congrats ANTM! It will be exciting to see who they will bring onto the show!

April 20, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. >{¡}

news flash- tyra has always been a diva (that's Latin for uppity b!tch). this show serves no useful purpose. cancel.

April 20, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Regina Combs

I don't think she's a a diva,I know women that say she's empowered them I for one.Because of Tyra I don't let high powered salesmen intimidate me anymore.

April 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get Real

if a worthless POS like Tyra empowered you, you were one fu( ked up mess. Did she throw a tantrum and hit you over the head with her cell phone too?

April 21, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • cynthia

"diva" isn't Latin - it's Italian and means "lady"

April 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Booo

I think the ratings would go back up If they got rid of tyra and kept the others. Get some other famous model to do the show. Tyra's become annoying.

April 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cara

Get Heidi Klum to do it; she already hosts Germany's Next Top Model, plus she's down-to-earth and people like her.

April 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. kikaboo

This SHOW is out of style. 7 seasons ago... Give it up CW.

April 20, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  28. 3 more people out of work

Yep, the job market's so great after the Chicago Organizer has been running things. The economy will turn around as soon as he's out of the White House.

April 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackson

LOL

None of these three is out of a job. They all have their own industries outside the show. Jay Manuel even has his own line of cosmetics.

But, hey, why let the facts get in the way of your stupid talking point, right?

April 23, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jackie

Well, looks like the beginning of the end for this show now. I loved ANTM but lately the recent seasons have been..meh..

Don't know what it is going to be without these 3!

April 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Diamond Dave

But, seriously, is this the gheyest show in America right now, or are the more, fruiter shows?

April 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh!

@Diamond Dave, now, just exactly how g@y is this show, and why would you even know in the first place? Just wondering.......

April 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elisa Jordana

Meh - not as bad as Dancing with the Stars.....Who knew this crap was still on?

April 23, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Diamond Dave

Where there's an blck man with nail polish, not far behind is a krapdashian on the hunt for some blacksnake

April 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |