Julia Louis-Dreyfus on playing the ‘Veep’
April 20th, 2012

Julia Louis-Dreyfus on playing the ‘Veep’

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is portraying a super-ambitious vice president on HBO’s upcoming political comedy series, "Veep," but which political figure is the character really based on?

While you might guess Democrat Hillary Clinton, or perhaps Republican Sarah Palin, the answer is actually neither, Louis-Dreyfus tells USA Today during a recent interview.

"It was never the intention for it to be a parody of any specific female politician,” the actress said of her character, Selina Meyer, in the anticipated cable show.

“The appeal to me was the comedic possibilities,” the 51-year-old explained. “It's a powerful position, and then it's not a powerful position. Inherent in that is great comedy. So that's what appealed to me about it - the idea of being highly ambitious and working so hard to make it and get ahead, and then you achieve the No. 2 spot."

The easily aggravated Selina is also really fun to play, the "Seinfeld" alum added.

"I love the idea of playing someone so ambitious and so convinced that those around her are the ones getting in her way," said Louis-Dreyfus, whose last series, “The New Adventures of Old Christine,” was canceled after five seasons in May 2010.

"I don't lose my [expletive] the way she does. But I love being able to play someone trying so hard to keep it under wraps," she went on. "The fantasy of being able to blame other people is fantastic. When the [expletive] hits the fan, it hits the fan in a blast. That's really fun to play. I can feel for that frustration."

“Veep” premieres on HBO (which is owned by the same parent company as CNN) this Sunday.

1. Tajr Tajdaf

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

July 11, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BobTheBuilder

This VEEP show is awful. I did not come close to even grinning 1 time in 30mins. I predict one season and then Canceled. It is not funny and does not make sense.

April 23, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KZYwvSW2Z4&w=640&h=390]

April 21, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. kramer

Im glad to see julia doing well and all of u losers..Dont bring up that tranny oprah when ur talking about julia..evryone knows oprah has a penis...even talks like a dude...she even has hair on her upper lip..harpo harpo cook my chittlings now harpo!

April 21, 2012 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. danielwalldammit

Maybe she likes teh work.

April 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. >{¡}

ok, Abdul, or whatever your name is, why don't you go back home to your ugly wife and fu(k your camel instead.

April 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Leucadia Bob

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIu5aPIIzzM&w=640&h=390]

April 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. رهملا لتيليدلب

You're loose Western woman like to parade themself around. Thats why she doing it. She liking attention she get from lots of strange man. I never allow my wife to behave in such low way. Thankfully she being good women and thought like this never enter her head. She knowing her place.

April 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rolyat

As much as I like her, I cannot figure out why she works as hard as she does. She's one of the richest woman in the world. She's richer than Oprah. Her net worth is in excess of $3 billion. Her father is one of the richest men on the planet.

April 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff G

Maybe she works so hard because she enjoys it. She obviously could have been a lazy rich girl but decided to do SNL, seinfeld, and all the shows since. I guess she loves comedic acting more than rolling around in money.

April 20, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |