Attorney for 'Basketball Wife' speaks out on lawsuit
April 20th, 2012

Attorney for 'Basketball Wife' speaks out on lawsuit

The attorney for “Basketball Wives” star Jennifer Williams is speaking out on a lawsuit that, according to TMZ, threatens to stand in the way of a reunion episode for the popular VH1 reality series.

Williams, the former wife of NBA player Eric Williams, launched a suit on Wednesday against Nia Crooks, the personal assistant of another star on the show, Evelyn Lozada, alleging she was “viciously attacked” by her.

Williams' attorney called the suit a “serious matter.”

“I think the issue here is violence by women against women,” said personal injury attorney Sanford Rubenstein in an interview with CNN. “When an assault and battery occurs - whether it’s on national TV or in someone’s own home - it’s still assault and battery. Accountability is what this lawsuit is all about."

And, added Rubenstein, “don't forget there’s also the issue of criminality, which is under investigation. So there are issues on both the civil and criminal sides.”

Williams is seeking unspecified damages over the alleged altercation, which she says left her with a whiplash-type neck injury and post-traumatic stress symptoms.

While Rubenstein said he was not aware that the show's other stars are said to have threatened to boycott the reunion show over Williams’ suit, he insists it “doesn’t change anything."

VH1 has yet to return a request for comment.

Yesterday the show's creator,  Shaunie O’Neal, weighed in on the matter, though she did not comment on the future of the reunion show specifically.

“I’m extremely happy that 'Basketball Wives' continues to have another successful fourth season,” O’Neal told Vibe. “As there is always controversy and indifference projected on the show, because we are all individual personalities, I always hope that people will find that as much as you may agree or disagree with the opinions, the behavior, [and] even our different taste in shoes, you are taking a look inside the lives of four ... different women. I will never say I agree with some of the behavior between my girlfriends on the show, but if we were to edit certain things out the show would be scripted and not reality."

« Previous entry
  1. drills for dribbling

Its so nice to read your blog,really interesting. Great information and inspiration. Your article was very poignant and understandable.It helped me to understand very clearly.Thanks and blessings

May 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. how many people get arrested for drunk driving

I take pleasure in, result in I found just what I used to be having a look for. You've ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

May 1, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ms. Wanda

Evelyn seems to have built up anger and takes it out on anyone who she feels won't fight back. What happened between jen & Erica was none of her business. Her and tami are afraid of each other thats why they choose to stay close. Shauni just likes drama. Susie is a ass kisser. Royce said f–k them and went on about her business. Great Move Royce. i use to like them when they had minor fights but the show has actually gotten to be sickening with that little click (Shauni, Evelyn, Tami) always teaming up on different women.

April 26, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. Keeping it Real

@ Evelyn I think you are a bully and think you mouth can scar people, if its fights you are looking for why don't you go in the hood to get them. I agree with Jenn they are more ways to resolve your issues. As for Shaunie this is money in her pocket remember the person that brings a bone always carry one and I remember her telling Jenn I am so proud of you for standing up for yourself. Then you go tell Evelyn some more sh..t. You think cause your are paid according to you that it? what kind of message are you sending your daughter, if things do not go your way just beat their azzz. When you think you are bad their is always someone who is worst then you. You pick on people you think you can scare. I will say it you are loose, you screw other people husbands so guess what Karma is a bi...ch.

April 25, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lulub

I don't believe Shauni at all. I do believe the show is scripted, (not as in reading from a script) but as in setting up incidents to occur. I mean what middle aged women, meet for lunch(drinks) weekly, only to discuss whose azz they will beat at the next meeting. Everytime Shaunie pops into to town, she has to be updated on all the Scripted, I meant Real drama that has taken place while she was gone. And then, with a smirk on her face, she has to "warn" Evelyn, that her "enemy" Jenn is gonna be at a certain dinner, party, or meeting. It reads like a poorly written novel. I believe they have all moved on with their lives, since their break ups, and divorces, and I honestly don't believe any of them meet up for drinks when the show is not taping. They all live in different cities.

5 minutes of fame that could destroy this girls entire life. If she is convicted of simple battery, she will now have a criminal record. She better hope that Ev can afford to keep her as an assistant, because she will find it difficult to get a job with a record of violence. And I seriously don't believe they will boycott the reunion show, otherwise VH1 will be suing all of their azzes, LOL!! Contracts!!

April 25, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ivy Benson

I agree with Jen to sue that girl there are ways you can sort out your diffidrences without passing blows these are grown women that girl came to the the show to do what she did and I am sick of seeing people dress up and then turn around to fight thats not cool I hope Jenn get what she ask for in damges

April 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MOOKIE1

jenn has all way been bougie b***h broad from day one the shown air, i think she always thought she was better that the rest off the cast,i guess it have to do the way she was brought up,not sadi that was bad but evidently she thought she eas better, she is alright with here look but she not no beyonce, not that evelyn or nia was right, BUT JENN did PROVE one thing that all AFRICAN-AMERICAN are not VIOLENT, FOR THE FOOL THAT WROTE THAT, CHECK YOUR HISTORY AND YOUR PRESENT HISTORY.

April 24, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. OMG

As much as we (african american) women have tried to escape the stereotype of black women are too "witchy and violent", this show just takes us 10 steps backwards. I cannot believe grown women actually are looking to fight. This is something you may see teenagers doing. And their puppet master (Shaunie) is eating it all up and cashing in on their ignorance. She surely has not displayed her ignorance on the show. She has her castmates to do the work for her. Their exes are saying "see why I didn't stay with that crazy witch". Ladies there are a lot of ways to make money and be tasteful and intelligent at the same time. How about showing 5-6 women doing something positive, being successful; whether you are married or not. This show displays the women as alcoholics (they always are out getting drinks), mean girls, and violent. I am a grown woman, and I do care about what my family thinks. What does you mom or dad have to say about having to see you on television like that. For god sakes, how do you explain to your children your actions. Don't be mad when they show their a-ss in public or on television; check out their role models. I know it is embarassing for your family; but you should be more embarrassed. Jennifer I surely hope you are exiting this nonsense series soon. Yeah you use to be a mean girl, but you have taken the high road and decided not to go there with them. Yeah I would sue their a-sses too. Get on with your life without them. You are doing great. Please Basketball Wives display something positive every episode or cancel. Cancellation would not be a bad thing. I'm ready for good old fashion tv shows and not reality tv.

April 24, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sabrina

Everyone but Shauie,Royce,and Tami is more lady-like than any women on the show.Evelyn and Jen are childish.Eveyln shouldve told Jen about the blog because you cant always believe what you read.Eveyln being in the public eye should known that.Jen is too boogie for her friends and dont care bout nobody but Jen.Jen need a reality check cause she really thinks she better than anybody.

April 23, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nan

stop the bull....Jen character does not warrant to be attacked by anyone, This is money in Shaunie pocket no matter what. She not acting like them yet she right their letting everything happen and Evelyn justifying the actions of herself and her friend....bull. The assistance was their to push the situation while Evelyn sorry behind sit back and watch. Only made an effort to get involve when she really saw Jen controling the fight. You all need to see it for what it is which is an embrassment to Miami and black women. For evelyn to be so bad why she throws things at the women has yet to hit anyone. Seriously talk is cheap she can be beat. She made friends with Tami thats the only one she is afraid ofl. Jen sue their asses. This show needs to go. What goes around comes around.....Evelyn going to have some serious bad time soon for her behavior. My respect for the ladies are gone. People really are laughing at them and siding for Jen. She not better than you all...but she has more class to not act like a bully.

April 23, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bouncer bob

Violence by women against women? Just another Saturday night at my work.

April 23, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. @basketball

U made me zzzzzzz . thx u

April 23, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Diana

I stopped watching this show after the second season. I never watched any to the housewives shows so I didn't know grown women beat up one each other. I could not believe it when they were punching each other. I turned them off, never to return.

April 23, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. basketballwivesmustgo

Why is it that Western Civilization people are the most uncivilized? Why do you all get behind your computer and key stroke bash? This is why most countries are more advanced than this country. If I am correct, we all fall in the category of "everybody else" on the economy scale. If you are cashing Donald Trump checks and not writing Trump checks, you are NOT RICH! If you go to work daily and check your account balance frequently, You are Not Rich. If you did not walk on Water or Turned it to Wine, then you have no cause to throw your stones and call anyone Nappy this. And, who in decided the White Americans were the top cat? They are an organized group of dakoits in white sheep skin. We don't have to get along like Rodney King or Get to the mountain top with Martin L. King, it easier to leave white folk to their own devices and they will devour each other. White Americans are very strong behind their screens and keyboards. Cowards, i know. and I am sure, i will receive the N lover and to those I say "It is best to be silent and assumed a fool, then to speak/type and remove all doubt".

April 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • @basketball

take a breath! these ppl are jerking your chain. man, are you easy or what?

April 22, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bre

Why are you suing her when you said she doesn't have anything? I lost so much respect for you since you think your better than everybody. Now I can't wait for the reunion.

April 22, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff

Just more "Un-Reality" garbage. I read about 3 sentences of this story and shot right to the comments. Folks is this stuff really newsworthy? These are no-nothing wives/ex-wives of no-nothing or has-been basketball players. When is real t.v. going to make a come back?

April 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Aaron

So let me get this straight. She was a main character of a reality show that was based on mostly non-wives of has been basketball players who basically go to very nice resteraunts and beat the crap out of each other during the busiest part of the day, and she had no idea that she would end up drawing up? My guess, the defendants in the suit will file a motion for summary judgement and have this case thrown out. If I remember correctly, she instagated several of these fights on the show.

April 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Edward

Most of all black people are violent

April 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dahky

@Edward yousa rite massa

April 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jade

If that's true then you've been beaten and murdered many times.

April 22, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • basketballwivesmustgo

Edward, you may receive this view due to the stereotype portrayed of blacks in the media and on television. Unfortunately, "The Wives" reality series supports the proclivity of your claim "Black People are violent". Reality TV shows have given the viewing audience unnecessary drama and violence. Equally unfortunate, why do we not see the characters on these shows as "bullies". If Evelyn Lozada and Jennifer Williams were children, there would be an outcry and protest against VH1 for PROMOTING the behavior for capital gain. As Rubenstein mentioned, the greater issue here is violence among women. Regardless of their ethnic or socioeconomic backgrounds. As for VH1 and their comments that Jennifer Williams lawsuit was a slap in the face; well, Jennifer was actually slapped and harmed for your rating purposes. Put on your big girl panties and get over it.
      Now let's not occupy VH1 channel for a week! Support Jennifer against the executive bullies!

April 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

MR. EDWARD AS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMAN I AM APPALLED THET YOU THINK MOST AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE VIOLENT . I AM IN MY 40'S I'VE NEVER BEEN IN A FIGHT EXCEPT FOR NOT BEING JUDGED BY MY SKIN COLOR BUT INSTEAD BY THE CONTENT OF MY CHARACTER !

April 22, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ANBOST

Ladies and gents, frienship doesn't automactically make any future dates, fiances, and husbands automatically accepted by the True Circle of Friends. Jennifer doesn't have to like any one that Evenlyn dates. A frienship is speacial and a ten yera frienship should be open and honest enough where both parties can speak honestly. Tammi and Shaunie you ladies are wrong. Jennifer doesn't have to change her thoughts and appologize to a good friend because her best friend new love is a media who-e. Freinship that is real is strong and able to bend like a blade of grass in the wind. If honesty is not allowed then the bending blade of grass will break off and die. Evelyn call your friend and you apologize for acting as if everyone shouldn't speak their own mind. Advice for other friends be friends and not someone that thinks everyone should be Shadows Figures and just follow their lead. God gave everyone their own shadow. Division have always seprated the Black race and the media makes sure that it continues to happen. I don't like my best friend choice but I respect her decision to be with him. WE continue to be the best of friends and she also sometimes doesn't like some of my choices so we do our thing separate of our boyfreinds or husbands and sometime all couples go out and believe it or not it's not that bad! Good Luck! Evelyn do the right thing call her and appologize.

April 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. chana

Jennifer, is a bougie broad who thinks her s*** dont stink, after all the fame she let get to her head and wanted to start running off at the mouth about her "best friend" for years, come on now, u make smart comments or talk trash to the wrong person it is bound to happen, as for evelyn and tammi are probably the realest ones on the show, cant stand susies ugly mouth a** nor royce... this show is starting to fall off....more interesting please...thnks!

April 22, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  19. SKY

FACT: THEY LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MONEY OFF ADULT BULLY.
    BE IT THE GROUP, TAKE KEEP YOUR OPINION TO YOURSELF.
    KISS-UP FOR THERE IS THE BEAT DOWN....ITS FUNNY THESE
    WOMEN OR SHOULD I SAY GIRLS HAVE CHILDREN, THEY
    LOVE THE MONEY MORE....I GUESS THIS IS WHY MOST OF
    THEM ARE DIVORCE, OR LOST THEIR HUSBANDS BECAUSE THEY
    WERE UNDER THE CONTROL OF THE BULLY...AND THEY LOST IT ALL.
    NOW ONE OF THE GIRLS IS ENGAGED TO A BASKET BALL PLAYER...MAN YOU
    SO NOT WANT TO MARRY A GIRL, WITH A TEMPER..DON'T GET STUCK WITH A
    BULLY, LET THE GIRL KEEP THE RING....DON'T BE A COWARD...SAY "NO"
    AND MARRY A REAL RESPECTFUL WOMEN...A REAL MAN CAN GET A
    BEAUTIFUL LOOSE GIRL ANYTIME HE WANTS, BUT A GOOD WOMAN
    WHO HAS SELF-CONTROL, RESPECT FOR HERSELF...AND OTHERS

April 22, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • jen

This game is nothing new just dIfferent players,a lot of young ladies will be looking back on their lives when they're thirty and realize they've given up their self respect all for a few baubles.Jen good luck to you.You are very strong.

April 22, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  20. cj

these shows have taken black women to the lowest level. they teach our young ladies that this is how social problems are handled. i know it's all about money...so the more stupid and disrepectful they act...more money for the show. anything positive doesn't sale. i'm glad there's a lawsuit and i hope more follow. this madness has to end!!!!

April 22, 2012 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  21. Lovely

Jen you are a lady, I admire the fact you never cheated on your husband to get with a single rich player . You will have the last laugh soon. Capricorn men are unfaithful, they lie to you without twitching. I tried to save face and stayed with my cheating and lying Capricorn husband for 3 years but I eventually left. Fancy cars and fancy restaurants is not all. After watching you being attacked one too many times , I suggest you take Self Defence Classes.

April 22, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  22. London Taylor

I feel that this law suit is fair. Nina allowed herself to be punked by Evelyn and Tammy. Shame on her. She needs to learn how to keep her hands to herself. If she can't seem to do that, then cut them off.!

April 21, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jean

i love the show. . lately there been to many beat down and throwing bottle. Evelyn probably should get sued for doing that to that crazy chic. come on ladies you put your hands on someone be ready to go to court.. you just dont do that when the camera are on.. Hello!!!!!

April 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jamiew25

She's pretty :), btw check out my site, http://www.freebiesforme.co.uk !

April 21, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  25. Anne

I am not sure what Ochocinco is getting himself into. Ochocinco says, 'he wears the pants and Evelyn controls the zipper'! As far as I am concerned that's it. What man would respect her? A HOOD RAT and a GOLD DIGGER that's what she is. Her daughter has all right to stay far away from her she is out of control.

April 21, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  26. Angie Tee.

We get Brazilian waxes to you dumb haters.

April 21, 2012 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  27. pretty white girl

Im so glad I dont have to worry about getting buckshot nappy hair. My hair is long and blonde curly locks. Smells like the morning dew and not grease and sulfur like nappy heads do...I brush it 100 times a nite too.

April 21, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Educated Black Man

Why do white women Smell Like Wet Dawgs WHen athey sweat?

April 21, 2012 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Angie Tee.

Morning dew smells like swamp.

April 21, 2012 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Curly Locks

You've got to be kidding. That's just dumb, your look is so YESTERDAY!!

April 21, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get Real

The same reason black girls smell like rotten tuna when they uncross their legs.

April 21, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • TRAPPED

April 21, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • TRAPPED

WOW, do you even shower, you smell like a dog, you wish you hair that can do what ours does, and I'm sure you are not a "pretty white girl" as you name indicates. If you were you wouldn't have to announce it. YOUR A BIG LOSER IM SURE YOU WERE TOLD THAT ALL YOUR LIFE! A BIG WHITE LOSER!

April 21, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anita Laws

@PWG and Get Real You wet dawg smelling ,non douching, angry no good trashy stringy lice infeasted head, wish you could move like me on the dance floor,ball court ,and especially in the boudoir.STFU Your Reign Is Almost Over.

April 22, 2012 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  28. lol

Eat a d!¢k u ni &&er lovers!

April 21, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  29. lol

Lol lol lol breath lol lol lol! I see someone missed me.

April 20, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  30. barney fife

That woman in the pic is uglier than a tick infested booty hole on a mangy dog. she looks like she needs to take a dump or sumthin..i bet her teeth are all rotted from crack...excuse me while a take a huge dump on her dining room table lol...she probably is a tranny she is so ugly

April 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. @@lol

Lol would go down on his mother cuz he hasn't had it in so long. No wonder he is cranky and mean. lube...slap, slap, slap..release..@lol

April 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  32. @lol

lol. true sign ur wife isn't giving it to u. no wonder ur nasty. lmfao. Lol lives and feeds on Marquee.lol

April 20, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mel Camp

I'd do her doggy style,pull her hair and ride her all night.

April 20, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Priscilla

Personally, I would like to know why Evelyn's so-called "no edges" assistant was even there... Evelyn's character is shady as heck and she needs a good FLORIDA beat down... I guarantee you she knows whom she can push around and whom she cannot.. Jennifer, Shaunie, Keisha, and yes even Royce carry themselves with much more class than the rest... Nia, needs to get a decent hairdresser and get them edges resolved.. Money is not the issue we all know that, it is the principal of it all.

April 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jaymi

"If we edited some things out, it wouldn't be reality." OH PLEASE....what grown woman acts that way on national television? Give me a break!!

April 20, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Kristine Scott

Evelyn, Shaunie and that ugly long necked super stupid looking Susie need to all be kicked in the _ _ _! Tammie is trying to tame her "inner fool", the rest of them are hust hood rats. Royce has the right idea....kick these "nothing B's to the curb. Jennifer, you show them girl, keep your attorney and maybe after proper litigation these women will learn that you cannot put your hands on folks and get away with it. I hope Bravo gets a reality check and cancels this stupid show!

April 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Notorius N.I.G

dem b!tches always gonna be dat way. ya know what we say, "you can take de girl outta de hood, but you can't take de hood outta de girl"

April 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |