April 19th, 2012

Could this man be the first African-American 'Bachelor'?

Meet Lamar Hurd.

He's a 28-year-old Oregon native and former pro basketball player who currently works as a TV sportscaster.  Not only that, but he's the founder of All In One Basketball, a youth sports organization that, according to its website, aims to "strengthen individuals, families, and communities" through sports.

With a resume like that, Hurd would be a perfect candidate to lead the next edition of the ABC reality series "The Bachelor."  In fact, Hurd (with help from his personal assistant) has gone to YouTube  to promote his candidacy.

But some say Hurd may have a long road to climb if he wishes to become "The Bachelor."  In 10 years and 23 combined seasons of "The Bachelor" and its "Bachelorette" spinoff, neither show has chosen an African-American for the title role.

Earlier this week, two African-American men filed a class action lawsuit against ABC and the producers of the shows, accusing them of intentionally excluding people of color in the casting process.

So what does Hurd think of it all? He spoke to CNN's "Early Start" about the lawsuit, the diversity controversy and his chances of becoming the next "Bachelor" - check out the video above.

1. JOHANNA C.--yea never make fun of blacks and rosie too

July 5, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michael

Amazing and pathetic how so many black people here are implying they have the right to define another persons heritage. If I or any other black person defines themselves as African American then so be it. And yes I have been to Africa and know its history

July 5, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. T in Dallas

Let the good white folks have their fun with their little narcissistic show. We know Hollywood will never accept black love or how to portray it.

May 4, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cara

If the bachelor has bad grammar or is dumb (and let's face it, other than the man who was the doctor, they've all pretty much been booby prizes), as long as he is good looking, I don't care what his ethnicity is.

May 3, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ss342

Actually there is too much white bread out there. Such bland tasting stuff.

May 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Washington

Why are people of color so angry when theyre told theyre AFRICAN AMERICAN?... That's where the slaves were brought from. Shame on you for not honoring your roots, their suffering and sacrifices... I wish you had a little bit of the humility TRUE Africans have. If you deny your roots your only hurting yourselves... You know what happens to a tree w/out roots...?

May 2, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Then you must be Euro-American since your forefathers came from Europe? Ninety-nine percent of black Americans have never set foot on African soil. I do not come from Africa. I am a 7th generation American and my people have probably been here on American soil longer than your folks. African slaves were first brought to America in the 1600s! I'm no more African than you are European. I'm an American who happens to be black. Hope this clears it up for you. We are not angry but you sure sound angry, lol.

May 2, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chenillle

Then white people should be called EUROPEAN AMERICAN because there not from America either the same african American came european American did too!!

May 3, 2012 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
    • David

This was a dumb comment, not all people of color are from Africa by nationality .. Hello, Caribbean, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans.

May 3, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • rg123

This is truly funny. 'Washington" is using a politically accepted term for black people in this country and you all are jumping down his throat. The problem with race relations in this country is due in part too the black community being to uptight about everything that happens to them. Other races in this country have to walk around on eggshells in fear that one of you might misconstrue a state one of rest of us might make as racist. Your not even the majority minority in this country anymore for christ sakes!!!!! From all the other races here in this country too the black community get over yourself and move on. Arab and hispanic americans have more of a gripe than the majority of blacks in this country and they don't get nearly the same media attention.

May 3, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Madison

Are you called European American?
      Why can't I be called just a plain ole American?

May 3, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Stuff Happens

All he is going to do is pick a white women. No brainer

May 2, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • For Real

RIGHT!!!!

May 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trish

I agree totally!

May 2, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • mychaeltodd

The sad point is, the ratings will probably drop, he's not handsome, fine or cute, he's average- I could see if he was a young looking DRAKE type of dude, but no they had to dig up ERNIE.

May 3, 2012 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. MReed

Unless he or his parents were born in Africa, he's NOT African-American! He's black. BLACK!!

May 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie B.

This show is so blatant it screams RACIST!!!...I do not watch the show....seems like desparation on part of the contestants...that they would subject themselves to this to find the "man or woman " of their dreams. Seems like they just act like crabs in a bucket. This show is ....Really tacky if you think about it. At this point why would a person of color want to appear on this show?....

May 2, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Trish

I hate to be labeled as African American. I am Black American, born in SE Washington, DC. Its hard to have a connection to a place I've never visited, nor have a desire to visit.

May 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. David

Really? As a black man, I believe we can find a more honorable cause to challenge. Who cares if there has never been a minority on that show? I don't believe MLK, Rosa Parks and the many other people who fought for equality had this in mind. Whether you're black, white, male, female, Jewish, old, handicap or whatever, there will alway be someone who feel you don't "measure up" for whatever reason. So what. As my grandmother would say, "they don't have a heaven nor hell to put me in, so why should I care about what they think of me".

May 1, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

I love everything you just said! And your grandmother had great prospective!

May 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jpacker

@rebellyell not all African -Americans sell drugs steal cars or do any of those things that u mention. Just like some whites don't. So don't judge people you don't wont anyone to judge you. There are a lot of successful people out there that's working legally that don't have to sell drugs or doing anything that's illegal to make a living.

April 30, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lydia

the Blackchelor

April 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MrB

African-American? He's an Oregon native who happens to be black. There's nothing African about the guy. This PC stuff is ridiculous.

April 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

@MrB
      He just happens to be black? To quote the late George Carlin, "He has two black parents? Oh yes, yes he did. And they #%!@ed? Oh indeed they did. So where does the surprise part come in? I’d think it’d be more unusual if he just happened to be Scandinavian."

May 3, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kimmie

This is going to be a treat. More hair weaves and fighting.

April 30, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Vinnie

Ahahahah... a black bachelor...this show must be desperate, why not air this on BET. Besides this show is a joke...what's next....an asian, an indian, down syndrome guy...reality TV never ends and neither will this show as long as you sheep watch it.

April 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. luvsthecity

There is a need for a Black bachelor, for sure, but this guy isn't it! He has poor grammar and his job isn't "high end" enough to make it. If you have a Black tech company owner, vineyard owner, etc., then OK, but a local newscaster who can't even conjugate verbs correctly? No way! I'm a black female attorney and I want the first black bachelor to be special. . .

April 30, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • comm0nsense

I assume then that you have equally vetted previous candidates for qualifications you are demanding of black candidates ... or are you just afraid of being embarrassed ... what a joke you are.

May 1, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  16. J

You guys, seriously. Think about it; this show has been on for many years and never a minority. Thats kind of weird. Makes me wonder also. At least this will bring that to the forefront.

April 29, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. philipchanbridges

I really appreciate all the ignorant racists and bigoted comments- it proves that every time a black person or any person pulls the race card that there is sufficient reasons for it. Like I always say if the card wasn't in the deck to begin with it could never be pulled. So keep dealing bigots and we'll keep pulling.

April 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

You are not playing with a full deck

April 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • haha

The race card is in the deck becuase cry-babies keep putting it there to get what they want. Buck up, buttercup. Life is hard and unfair and it doesnt matter what you look like or where you are from, there are some times you will be excluded. Get over it!!!!!!!

May 2, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jane

Doesn't matter if the bachelor is black. He'll still pick a white woman or any other race over a black woman. Why? Because brothers always want what white guys want– to make themselves feel better about who they are. Make them fill like they have finally ARRIVED. If this brother really wanted to find a mate, trust me, he'd have one. Too many of all ethnicities can't wait to get in bed with a black man– and having his baby? A former Pro ball player? Please.... GOLD DIGGGERS unite! Here comes another one– fool, that is.

April 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Afi

I just don't get it! Why do African Americans always say negative things about themselves (can't swim, can't climb mountain, can't fly, can't be pilots)? I've friends from other races who can't swim or fly etc. You think pilots in Africa are White? If you want others to believe in you; then stop the negetive stereotype; your kids are watching and listening. You're bringing up a generation of Black kids who think God created them deferent!

April 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • philipchanbridges

@Afi you are generalizing based upon your limited experience. As an African American I am constantly around other African Americans who just the opposite of what you are saying. stop internalizing only what you see through the media.

April 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. MoJo

Everything is not Black history. This is not an achievement!

April 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • rebellyell

Well, I look at this way. You could combine "America Most Wanted" with the Black Bachelor. I'm sure this dude is wanted somewhere for 1 of the following: selling crack, auto theft, domestic abuse...or all of the above. Getting his face on TV should help get him identified by someone. -RY

April 23, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  21. JUGGERNAUT

THE WHITE SUPREMACIST ARE GETTING ANGRIER AND ANGRIER.

THEIR WHITE AMERICA IS DISAPPEARING. LMAO LMAO

April 22, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • philipchanbridges

I Know Right...No matter how stupid peoples comments are the fact is that times are changing no matter what they do or say they are changing and to make derogatory remarks and comments only show that they are on their last leg...idiots are dwindling...

April 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  22. toodles

I think they should have a gay bachelor show and allow blacks on it and i hope i gets picked cuz i want a blk schong in my poopie hole. break out the champagne glasses and condoms and biatch get me my pork sammich and id be a slappin u

April 20, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  23. Slapnutz

Lets see how farther ratings will drop now.....

April 20, 2012 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  24. WhosUrDaddy

I recall an episode of Flava Flav....where he had the women all cook fried chicken. Then he tasted the chicken and gave clocks to save the winners. Where was all the outrage then? Multiple discriminations in that show. As an idea for this bachelor series-have the guy slap around each girl, and see who can take a good punch (ala, Chris Brown style). Then instead of giving a rose to each to save them, he gives out eye patches. Then I'd watch!

April 20, 2012 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  25. ABC Executive

How about this. Its my show and I can do what I want with it, I can have who I want on it and guess what? This is not you applying for a job..its entertainment. So if i want, I can just cancell the show. So stop your crying and playing the race card. Oh yea, white power!

April 20, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • pg

your right is it ever going to be over im sure the goverment will pass a law or something, because the Goverment thinks the american people are to stupid to think for ourselves and everyone needs to share and if we donot they will find a way to make us. it's entertainment people does everything have to be an racial debate.

April 20, 2012 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Katherine Daves

Cancell?Can't you white supremacist spell better than that?You idiot.

April 20, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Geesh

I was with you up until you had to add "WHITE POWER" ...that's just dumb.

I agree, tho, that if YOU create something, it should be up to YOU what is done with it. I am tired of people suing over this kind of crap. Want a black Bacehlor??...then use YOUR money and YOUR time to create it! Dont make someone else change their creation because you want the same thing.

May 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. BobTheBuilder

I am hoping the next bachelorette is that tranny Miss Canada contestant. Now that would get some viewers and what a hoot that would be!

April 20, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  27. Sokman

Nice to see CNN helping promote the continuation of racial tensions. This isn't your next Bachelor, its your first African-American Bachelor. Ladies & gentlmen, mark your calendars. This is a great moment in history. Whatever race, this is a show about gold diggers who are looking for love... of money, & a man who gets off on manipulating them.

April 19, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Get Real

Why don't we just have umpteen different versions of the bachelor so everyone gets a chance to hook up with "one of their own" and then get a divorce 6 months (or sooner) down the road? This crappy show is so shallow and preposterous it's fu(king outrageous. You can't find true love on TV with everyone watching. You can score some nice gifts and get the producers of the show to foot the bill for your honeymoon, but where is the "reality" in this program. If we quit watching, it will go away. Don't play their game. watch ESPN or Cartoon Network instead.

April 19, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. C

Just saying don't you have enough real life gold diggers after you without going on tv and embarrassing your mother and grandparents?

April 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. 31 flavors

Whitewomen=Blackmen savior

April 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Dude, really?

black men wanna hook up with white women cuz they watch their weight and they don't do that annoying side-to-side head swivel thing. plus they control themselves in tense situations instead of b!tch-slapping everybody and getting the police involved. black women are trouble. just sayin.....

April 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Gouda

Fill it with Krapdahians, they can't get enough of the blacksnake.

April 19, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dustyred

They're not the white h@s that like black they just don't care who knows it.Very strong women if you ask me.

April 20, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  33. Lewis

Black or white, it's a stupid show. To my knowledge, only one couple has actually made it.

April 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. cnnlicksit

Honestly, who cares? But in all seriousness, they better have an Asian bachelor, an Indian bachelor, etc., now or thats racist.

April 19, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Get Real

Just playin to the stereotype. He's a basketball player. LMFAO

April 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  36. yo

Do u watch this trash tv I ax u. Then they guna put a brutha on it? Shamefull to my race, that be white folk trash tv.

April 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  37. No Comments????

Humm No comments?? I am not sure if America is ready to see white women fighting for the love of a black man, or will they only have black women as the potentials for a black man??? Will be interesting if the next bachelor is a black man!

April 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |