Will Chris Hemsworth beat his brother at the box office with 'Avengers'?
April 18th, 2012

Will Chris Hemsworth beat his brother at the box office with 'Avengers'?

Quite a few of us around here are counting down the days until "The Avengers" opens wide, and we're certainly not alone: The movie's tracking to pull in more than $150 million when it opens on May 4, and movie ticket e-retailer Fandango.com reports that its visitors have pegged the film as the most anticipated of the summer.

The website polled "thousands of moviegoers on their must-see list for the biggest movie season of the year," Fandango said, and "The Avengers" came out on top among movies picked by both men and women.

But when you break down the anticipation along gender lines, men are more interested in seeing July's "The Dark Knight Rises," while women are waiting for Kristen Stewart's "Snow White and the Huntsman" to open in June, which also stars "Avengers" actor Chris Hemsworth.

And he's not the only Hemsworth getting major box office shine at the moment: Chris's brother, Liam, stars alongside Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson in the blockbuster spring release, "The Hunger Games."

Thus far, Liam's "Hunger Games" has held supreme as the reigning title at the box office, but the Hollywood Reporter notes that "The Avengers" is tracking to make more money on opening night than "Hunger Games'" $152.5 million.

But Chris Hemsworth insists that there's no sibling rivalry going on. (And frankly, we believe him. If you and your brother were bringing in major paydays, what would there be to argue about?)

"No, we are just happy to be working," Chris told us Saturday. Noting that the two actors hail from Australia, Chris added, "Thankfully we haven't been kicked in the a** and sent home yet. It's nice to be working and be a part of films that are successful and people are seeing them and they are being received well."

And as far as which film he predicts will fare better at the box office, Chris said, "We will have to wait and see."

« Previous entry
  1. News Online

I'm not certain where you are getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time finding out more or working out more. Thank you for magnificent information I used to be searching for this info for my mission.

April 23, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. Baba

I urinated in some popcorn and fed it to nice people years ago. It so cooooold! My kidney pains in eating rooms. lolol Have a nice day. :)

April 18, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. toocy

Wow, people are nice here. Very refreshing.

April 18, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. 🏃

I run fast but I'm still got fast enought to be firsty. We hope everyone has a super day.

April 18, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tostada Burrito

Movies were more fun years ago because many people didn't have air conditioning. You cold go sit in the nice cool theater and watch a movie on a huuuuge giant screen. Now days there are cinelplexes with just the little screens. It's just not as fun.

April 18, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Alfalfa

And throw popcorn at the screen. Mmmmm movie popcorn. Them was the days.

April 18, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Tostada Burrito

I'm feeling much better now. This morning I felt really bad. Almost called in sick to work. My old back hurts sometimes. That's ok though. We hope you have a happy day.

April 18, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

I'm sorry you felt bad our good friend. Hope the rest of your day will be too great.

April 18, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • dr.jam

I feel bad to this morning I have a bad head cold.People were so mean on here yesterday.Maybe they were feeling bad to,I know some of them are just mad at the world.Anyhoo everybody have a great day.

April 18, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |