Madonna: Lourdes didn't get smoking idea from me
April 18th, 2012

Madonna: Lourdes didn't get smoking idea from me

Just because Madonna's known for being risque doesn't mean she appreciates it when her daughter Lourdes tries to push the boundaries.

The Material Mom has warned her 15-year-old daughter to watch her hemlines in the past, and when Lourdes was recently caught smoking a cigarette, Madge was not pleased.

In an interview with NBC's "Rock Center," Madonna admitted that she "wasn't very happy" when she found out.

The single mother of four added that she thinks she's a tough mom, but perhaps not as tough as she could be.

"I think I need to be maybe tougher, but it's hard, though. It's hard. Every day is a negotiation," she said. "Cigarette smoking," however, she's "not very fond of, for anyone. I don't approve of anyone smoking cigarettes, most of all my daughter."

And while she appeared to be smoking herself in a recent music video, Madonna says it's not quite a case of "do as I say, not as I do."

"I don't smoke," the singer clarified. That cigarette was "just an accessory...there's a difference. [Lourdes] smoked that cigarette before I did that video. She didn't get that from me."

Maintaining her pop star status while raising a family of in the spotlight is, as one would guess, "pretty challenging." But, Madonna continued, "so far, I've survived with sanity and humor intact."

Filed under: Celebrities • Madonna

1. BARRY PHILIP ROTH

HELLO PLEASE DON'T DO THAT TO YOUR SELF LOURDES. PLEASE STOP SMOKING. PLEASE LOOK UP THE WORD BOOP. IT WILL TELL YOU WHAT SMOKING DOSE TO YOU IT WILL SHOW YOU WHAT I HAD BY SMOKING IT IS NOT KNOWN TO MUCH. BECAUSE THERE IS NO MONEY TO TELL EVERY ONE ABOUT BOOP IN SHORT BOOP CAN KILL YOU SO FAST WITH IN 1 TO 3 DAYS. YOU CAN GET THIS AT ENEY TIME IF YOU SMOKE PLEASE LOURDES DON'T SMOKE IT WILL KILL YOU ENEY DAY. I KNOW BECAUSE I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 31 DAQYS BECAUSE OF BOOP. BUT IT TOOK ME OVER A YEAR TO FEAL GOOD AGEN. MY BE YOU AND YOUR MOM CAN GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT BOOP. BECAUSE SO MEANY PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW WHAT BOOP IS. I ASKED DR. AFTER DR. AFTER DR. DO THEY KNOW WHAT BOOP IS/ AND MOST OF ALL OF THOSE TOLD ME NO WHAT IS BOOP. IT IS
    BRONCHIOLITIS OBLITERANS ORGANIZING PNEUMONIA. MOST PEOPLE THAT GET BOOP DIE BEFORE THEY KNOW THEY HAVE IT. HAW DO THEY FIND OUT THEY TAKE SOME OF YOUR LONG TO HAVE IT TESTED AT HARVERD. HARVERD IS THE PLACE IT WAS DESCOVERED BACK IN THE LATE 80'S . PLEASE UNDERSTAND ENEY ONE COULD GET THIS. PLEASE NEVER SMOKE AND IF YOU HAVE FRIENDS THAT DO PLEASE TELL THEM ABOUT BOOP. THANK YOU FROM THE GUY THAT SAVED YOU AND YOUR MOM'S LIFE. YES IT IS ME BARRY PHILIP ROTH THE GUY THAT WORKED FOR MADONNA'S DAD A LONG TIME AGO. THE DAY I MET YOUR MOM I GAVE HER THIS GREAT NAME BOY TOY AND THAT NIGHT I CHOSE TO SAVE YOUR MOM'S LIFE .BY STOPPING HER STEP MOM FROM PUTTING A VERY SICK LIE ON YOUR MOM. I AM THE ONLY PERSON THAT NEVER USED YOUR MOM. BUT I ALSO AM THE GUY THAT TOLD YOU MOM HAW TO WRITE SONG'S. SO IF I DID NOT STOP HER STEP MOM THAT NIGHT YOUR MOM DREAMS WOOD BEN OVER. BUT I AM YOUR MOM ONLY TYRUE GREAT BEST FRIEND THAT GAVE YOUR MOM GREAT RESPECT NO GUY EVER DID. I AM HOPPING SHE WILL STOP THOSE FROM USING HER BECAUSE EVERY ONE USED YOUR MOM FOR MONEY FAME AND GIFTS. I NEVER DID THAT TO HER BUT SHE WAS LOOKING FOR ME FOR A VERY LONG TIME. BUT I WAS TOLD BY THOSE PEOPLE TO NOT GET IN THERE WAY OF MAKING MONEY OFF YOUR MOM. BUT SO MEANY PEOPLE LIED TO HER AND TOLD HER I WAS DEAD. SO A FEW YEAR'S AGO I WAS TOLD IT WAS OVER THOSE PEOPLE DID NOT CARE IF I TRY TO TALK TO HER. BUT I WAS TOLD TO NEVER TRY TO USE THERE NAMES. BECAUSE IF I DID I WOOD NOT BE HEAR TODAY. BUT I HAVE A GOOD IDEA WHO DID THIS. BUT I KNOW WHO STARTYED ALL OF THIS HER STEP MOM .BECAUSE SHE DID NOT GET HER WAY THAT NIGHT. I WAS WORKING FOR HER STEP MOM. SO BECAUSE I STOPPED HER FROM PUTTING THOSE LIE'S ON YOUR MOM. BUT THAT NIGHT I CHOSE TO DO THE RIGHT THING FOR YOUR MOM SAVE HER LIFE. BUT I ALSO KNOW YOUR DAD AND HE TOLD ME HE SAVED HER LIFE TO AFTER I DID. SO LAST YEAR EVERY THING GOT SO MESSED UP BECAUSE YOUR MOM CAME TO SEE ME. BUT ALL I COULD THINK OF WAS IT TROLLEY HER. BUT SOON AFTER I NEW IT WAS. BUT WE BOTH DID NOT COME TO EACH OTHER. BUT I TOLD YOUR MOM WHAT I WOOD DO IF SHE CAME TOI ME. BUT I NEVER WAS SHIRE IT WAS HER AND I DID NOT THINK ABOUT WHAT I WROTE TO HER. ALL I THOUGHT ABOUT IS IT HER. BECAUSE I HAVE BEN FOOLED SO MEANY TIME TO THINK IT IS HER AND IT WAS NOT. SO RIGHT NOW I AM ASKING YOUR MOM TO COME BACK AND TALK TO ME SHE HAS BEN SAYING FOR YEAR'S SHE IS LOOKING FOR HER TRUE LOVE THAT GUY THAT GAVE HER GREAT RESPECT THAT IS ME. NO GUY EVER DID THAT FOR YOUR MOM BUT ONLY ME. BUT I AM ASKING HER TO STOP THOSE THAT KEEP USING HER AND DISRESPECTING HER. SHE HAD TOLD EVERY ONE ON TV HER NEW BOY FRIEND TOLD HER TO RUN HIS FEET THAT HAPPEN WAS YOUR MOM WAS SO TIRED SHE ASKED HIM TO RUB HER FEET HE TOLD HER NO YOU RUB ME FEET. FIRST OF THAT WAS DISRESPECTFUL TO YOUR MOM. BECAUSE HE SHOOD HAD SED CAN YOU RUB MY FEET INSTED OF TELLING YOUR MOM TO RUB HIS FEET. SHE DID NOT GET IT AT THE TIME HE WAS TRYING TO CONTROLE YOUR MOM AND NO ONE CONTROLES HER SHE IS NOT A SLAVE AND SHE DOSE NOT NEED TO BE DISRESPECTED THAT WAY. I KNOW HAW YOU MOM HATES THAT. BUT SHE DID NOT SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON BECAUSE EVERY ONE BUT ME AS DONE THAT TO HER ALL OF HER LIFE DISRESPECT HER AND USED HER. BUT HER NEW BOY FRIEND WAS TRYING TO TELL YOUR MOM WHAT TO DO AND I DON'T WONT HER TO LIVE THAT WAY. I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT UNDERSTANDS HAW WRONMG THAT WAS FOR HIM TO DO THAT TO YOUR MOM .FIRST OF HE DOSE NOT OWN HER AND HE SHOOD NEVER TOLD HER WHAT TO DO. YOUR MOM IS NO ONES SLAVE AND SHE DOSE DESERVE GREAT RESPECT. BECAUSE SHE IS ONLY HUMAN AND NO ONE DESERVES TO BE DISRESPECTED THAT WAY. BUT I AM ASKING YOUR MOM TO FALLOW HER DREAMS OF BEING WITH ME THE GUY THAT RESPECTS HER MORE THEN ENEY ONE CAN UNDERSTAND I KNOW WHO IS THE REAL MADONNA. BUT SHE NEED'S TO STOP THE ABOUSE. BUT SHE SHOOD FALLOW HER DREAMS OF BEING WITH THE ONLY GUY THAT CAN SHOW HER WHAT TRUE LOVE IS. YES I DIED FOR THE BOTH OF YOU AND I WAS BROGHT BACK FROM THE DEAD BECAUSE I SAVED YOUR MOM LIFE AND I SAVED YOU LOURDES. BUT I WAS GIVEN SOME THING EVERY ONE WONT TO KNOW GOD'S TRUE LOVE FOR US. WHEN I DIED I COULD NOT SAY A WORD FOR HOUR'S BECAUSE I FEAL THAT GREAT LOVE HE HAS FOR US. YES I KNOW WHAT THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE IS. AND I KNOW HAW TO SHOW THAT TO YOUR MOM SHE KNOW I NEVER GIVEN UP ON HER NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS IN HER LIFE. BUT I BEN PROTECTING HER FROM THE DAY WE FELL IN LOVE. SO I HOPPING YOUR MOM WILL COME BACK WHEN SHE HAS TIME. SHE KNOWS WHERE TO FIND ME. BUT SHE SHOOD THINK ABOUT FALLOWING HER DREAMS AND HER HEART THAT HAS TOLD HER FOR YEAR'S THAT I AM HER REAL TRUE LOVE. BUT EVERY ONE NEEDS TO KNOW I HAVE NO CRIME RECORD AND I NEVER BEN IN JAIL. BECAUSE SOME ONE WAS PUTTING OUT MORE LIES ABOUT ME THOSE LIES ARE SICK LIE THAT WOOD KILL ME BEFORE I EVER LET THAT HAPPEN TO ENEY ONE. YES I KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BE DEAD AS DEAD AS YOU CAN BE. BUT MY LIFE WAS SAVED BECAUSE I SAVED YOUR MOM'S LIFE AND YOUR LIFE. BUT I AM NOT GOING TO KEEP BRING UP THE PAST BOTH ME AND YOUR MOM NEED TO STOP HARPING ON THE PAST. AND START TO LOOK FORWORD TO WHAT IS TO COME. BUT I NEED YOU HELP TO TELL YOU MOM ALL OF THIS BEFORE IT IS TO LATE. SHE SHOOD STOP BEING USED I DON'T WONT HER MONEY OR THE FAME OR GIFTS ALL I EVER ASKED HER FOR IS TO BEABLE TO LOVE HER AND HAVE HER HEART OF TRUE LOVE.. I AM HOOPING SHE WILL CHOSE TO HAVE THIS DREAMS I BEN WORKING FOR FOR YEARS. BECAUSE I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN UNDERSTAND YOUR MOM SO MUCH MORE THEN SHE KNOWS. I WOOD NEVER GIVE UP FIGHTING FOR HER LIFE AND HER KIDS LIFES. SO I WONT HER TO KNOW I WILL NEVER GIVE UP ON HER SHE CAN TELL ME TO STOP BOTHING HER. AND I WILL NOT SAY A WORD NO MORE TO HER. BUT I WILL NEVER KILL MY SELF OVER ENEY ONE BECAUSE I DO NOT WONT TO GO TO HELL. SO I WONT EVERY ONE TO KNOW I WILL NEVER KILL MY SELF. SO I AM ASKING FOR YOU TO TELL HER ALL OF THIS THANK YOU HOPE SOME DAY TO MEET YOU IN PERSON. GOD BLESS YOU HEART LOVE AWAYS BARRY PHILIP ROTH

June 13, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. italia

This is why I can't tolerate the woman. She's known globally, yet she doesn't smoke and she doesn't approve of smoking, yet she uses a cigarette as a "prop" in her video. What is she brain dead? Just what does she think that advocates in her video to young admirers-don't smoke? I really really cannot stand Madonna. She's in idiot. Perhaps that's why Lourdes smokes, to show her up in a passive agressive manner.

May 17, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. nyumbu

Madonna smoked in -League of their own. Its only acceptable if youre getting paid

May 16, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Grim Reaper

Mom only smokes pole

May 15, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Linda

Ok, so she didn't get that fro you because you did the video after she smoked. But everyone else's kids got it from you and that is ok with you? Shame on you for thinking tht was ok.

May 13, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gerry

@Linda

Where in the article did she ever say she was okay with other kids smoking? She said she doesn't approve of it for anyone.

May 14, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Berlin

Madonna you cant be freaking out about a cigerette after everything you have done in your past you of all people should understand. Lourdes will have to push the envelope much further than you did. You may want to talk to Cher.

May 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dich Faux

Yeah, how dare Madge try to raise her daughter better than she was raised. I mean why should she try to help her daughter not make the mistakes that she herself has made? Get out.

May 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • italia

That's a thought, pushing he envelope futther than they did. Hadn't thought of that. I suppose Lourdes is overwhelmed with Madonna as a mother. She will probably act out in a passive agrressive manner.

May 17, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Yes but

Yes but does she squat, naked over a mirror and profess her love for her private parts to sell a book like you?........

May 12, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. truefax

Give the girl a few years to fill out, then she'll really be SMOKING.

May 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. T Rigney

SUCH utter bullcrap. Monkey see, monkey do.
    Lady's got a 140 I.Q., she should know better.

May 8, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. VoiceOfReason

Madonna's cigarette was "an accessory?" That's such a weak justification that it's ridiculous. Lame...

May 8, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Runes77

Grade A journalism. Keep these exclusives coming. Girl caught smoking cigarette, Mom displeased. GTFO, CNN

May 8, 2012 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. woman

you have a beautiful daughter, madonna. try to keep one step ahead of her. be a parent not a friend.

May 7, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. aj

Smoking isn't cool when you're coughing up your own blood because you're dying. You'll "cool" yourself to death. Besides nobody likes to kiss a smoker.

May 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jujubeans

Madonna's still smoking hot!

May 3, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. Raven1983

Madonna has 3 kids I thought Lourdes, Rocco, and I thin David the kid she adopted from Malawi

May 3, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  16. ecig

Thanks for every other wonderful post. The place else may just anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect method of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the look for such information.

May 2, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. d lud

Madonna has 4 kids.

April 27, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel Rizzi

Mama don't preach! I made up my mind, I'm having my baby, smoking, wearing my lingerie on the outside and dating a 30 year old dance instructor LMAO!
      That's what guys want anyway, a rich ho.

April 29, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  18. UGH...

Madonna only has 2 kids.

April 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadOnNaFan

you can't be much of a Madonna fan if you think she only has 2 kids!....she has four.

May 4, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. rey zaldy

i love you madonna :)

April 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. HPNII

What goes around comes around, Just wait till she start wearing her bra on the out side of her clothes.

April 26, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  21. DC

to engage in teenage revolt against Madonna would be to join a convent

April 23, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Vernah Petersen

Madge is no influence to her own daughter..she is 15 year old, is that age start doing something which (she) might think is a cool habit to do, while being fifteen there are many things she can adapt to challenge her age. So, do not put a blame with mother and daughter.. Madge, should provide motherly "pitch" to her about smoking are bad for their health, it is not good for a young woman to get involve to it..I have a twenty two year old girl in college but, smoking she adapt earlier become (her) enemy knowing is it simply bad, habit to get into it..With Lourdes all she needs now, is quitting before it will get further hard, to get out.Motherly, advice is real good..

April 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  23. BobTheBuilder

As a responsible parent, you don't just give or not give your children ideas. You raise them to avoid bad habits. You educate them, and when appropriate even punish them (eg, take away one of Lourders Gold Amex cards for a week). Get your child to stay away from kids with bad habits. This claim by Madge appears to be blame assingment. What's next?"Hey don't blame me she's smoking crack." "Don't blame me for her killing someone while drunk driving". Not my fault--what a cop-out and bad parenting example, by someone with lots of money, means and assistance...to see her daughter grows up with best rearing.

April 20, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sheila

Her daughter sees her use a cigarette as a fashion accessory, in a cool video, marketed to other teens. Yeah, right -

April 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eva

Madonna should not be smoking in a video, as a celebrity she has a responsibility to show a good example. What a hippocratic to think it's OK to smoke in a video that markets her music. Shame on her!

May 1, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Tonya

Fifteen is the age where alot of kids act out! I pray that this fad will pass and she does not pick up any more stupid habits. At that age, they really think they know themselves, they don't!!!!!

April 19, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  26. dr.jam

We reap what we sow,sometimes through our children.

April 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. toocy

Liberal smoke nazis? My mom is as conservative as they come but she was still pi$$ed when she caught me smoking. Twenty years later and I think I'm still grounded.

April 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sheri

So Lourdes smokes. She probably thinks it's cool to smoke. Children do what they see. I have a nine year old nephew that's been around cigarettes his whole life and he tells me he's going to smoke one day. I just tell him the younger he starts makes it harder for him to start, plus he might be on oxygen someday, he just says ?"My Mother isn't on oxygen"

April 18, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Hey, I have been smoking Redbox E-cigs for a year now. I love it.
      I get to smoke in the bar and not have to stand outside in the rain!!!
      Has anybody else tried this product???
      I also found a secret coupon code for Redbox-Ecigs that works for 20% off!
      It’s ‘ blog20 ‘, really, and it works!!
      Rock on! John

April 19, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • JKBoda

Poor kid. Probably has asthma and will turn out to be white trash.

April 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Diamond Dave

Madonna just smokes pole!

April 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  30. john

i sure hope she does not get the habit of smoking, you think your mom is tough, smoking puts stuff in your lungs like you have never seen and it does not go away. some dye young some dye old wearing a mask just so they can breath.i see nothing cool about coughing up flam all day and that will happen .take care of yourself sweet lady be around for a little while and help make this world a better place

April 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  31. JIM

WELL MOM SMOKED A CIGAR ON THE LETTERMAN SHOW, SEVERAL YEARS AGO!

April 18, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sokman

Hard to be a tough mom when your kids are raised by nannys

April 18, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Boo

Madonna is a no talent slagger and she's got the gall to tell her daughter how to dress and not to smoke??????!!! I hope someday I read that Madonna's daughter does to Madonna what Courtney Love's daughter did to Courtney Love....CUT TIES WITH THIS CONTROL FREAK!!! No wonder this no talent slag can't keep a man.

April 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. anonymous

As if Madge has any say in what her kid does..lol. Look at what her kid has an example? Madonna isn't exactly a saint, so good luck with raising a daughter who doesn't spread her legs, just as you did.

April 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Lucky

OMG – the latest & greatest about the Madonna! Ain't that somethin' special to write about.

April 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Sherry

Madonna's past history has come home to bit her in her daughter's ass!

April 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Chris Peitel

Well Here go the Liberal Smoke NAZIs {again}! Youd think the poor girl had killed 20 people, or robbed 2 banks or burned a village down.......Dang there are worse things that "L" could have done! Plus she LQQKS Very Hot with the Cigarette!

April 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodney Roberts

I agree with you 100% Chris.....as there are many worse things the girl could be doing like drugs & alcohol!

April 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat Van Alders

BRAVO Chris! Lets get rid of those insipid SMOKE NAZIS! {Like Tom Broke Jaw- NBC & Bobbie Scheiffer CBS}!

April 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • JKBoda

In this day and age you have to be a complete moron to smoke.
      Anyone who actually thinks it looks cool or is not a big deal belongs in a trailer park.

April 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • JuzClownin

Actually, to be a "smoke Nazi" is conservative behavior...

May 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  38. robertmarc1

If anyone has seen the making of Madonna's "take a bow" video Madonna smoked all through it. She was even talkign with it in her mouth.

April 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Di

Madge, If you don't smoke and don't want to send out a message that it's okay and cool, then don't use it as an accessory ever. The fact that you did makes you look hypocritical. You're influencing others to smoke who want to imitate you. It's okay for others to pick up the habit, as long as the others aren't Lourdes. Like it or not, you are a role model. With that goes a huge responsibility.

April 18, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Diana

So taking her kid out of the US to be raised in Europe didn't help. She will be a tramp just like her mom.

April 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jeff Lounds

Which one is butt uglier?

April 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Clete

"I don't approve of smoking cigarettes....but weed....."

April 18, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alma

but... according to our Federal Government... weed is illegal.... why? because weed makes people peaceful and happy... our government does not want people to be peaceful and happy... The drug dealers of America voted " no " to legalize weed because if weed becomes legal, those drug dealers will be " out of business. "

April 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  43. jujubeans

But judging from her example, it's o.k. for her to bare her bush.

April 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  44. cnnlicksit

Oh my God, a teenager smoked a cigarette! What important news!

April 18, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • John W.

Though it has become a cliche and tired line for all you brain trusts who hate CNN and criticize celebrity articles in the ENTERTAINMENT section, here goes... "Yet here you are."

April 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Gasp! I have never done such a thing!

April 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |