'Modern Family' rocks the vote
April 12th, 2012

'Modern Family' rocks the vote

Welcome back, "Modern Family"!

It's been a good few weeks since any new episodes, but Wednesday night's offering was worth the wait.

It was the big election day for Claire, and as we've seen so often this season, the entire family pitched in to help out.

Phil volunteered to drive elderly voters to the polls, but when he picked up a cantankerous man (the legendary Philip Baker Hall), he got a lot more than he bargained for – that voter ended up being the only person he drove all day.

The kids and Gloria made phone calls, but Luke started over-promising ("You'll never have to pay taxes ever again!"), and it turns out that Gloria is a lot better in person than over the phone.

Gloria feared Claire losing the election: "I don't want to be around when something that tight unravels."

Jay refused to vote because he saw an ex working at the polling station. He eventually tried to duck her and place a vote but ran into her anyway. Awkward doesn't begin to describe it.

As for Claire – this week's MVP – she started doing media interviews, and an old fake tooth popped out at the most inopportune times.

Most hilariously of all, Cam and Mitchell drove around with a giant megaphone to get out the vote. That scenario almost writes itself, but kudos to team "Modern Family" for taking it in unexpected directions.

Not only did the couple decide to abuse the megaphone by yelling out judgmental statements to passersby (Mitchell: "We could really make a difference. We could be the voice of change"; Cam: "I got it. Let’s go yell at the dry cleaner that lost my shirt!"), they were also caught gossiping about an acquaintance nearby because the megaphone was still turned on.

Claire thanked her family for all their hard work (which turned out to be a lot less than she knew), before finding out the bad news that she lost the election.

But it wasn't all bad: Haley was put on a waitlist for her final college choice – good enough cause for celebration! (One has to imagine that she will end up staying at home next season.)

And Claire got that stop sign after all, just so she would be discouraged from running again. But she's not done here: next up, Operation Speed Bump!

Were you just as thrilled as I was with this return episode? Share your view on video or comment below.

1. nichoals.G

BORING i dont like it at all

April 18, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NichelleRae

LOVED IT!!! 1st new show back was FANTASTIC! Like you said in your review, the megaphone scene COULD have written itself, but the Modern Family Writers ROCK!!! Could not stop laughing.
    Most sitcoms you have 1 favorite person/story line, but with Modern Family you look forward to everyone on the show.

April 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Steve - Dallas

I want to like it... I'm all in favor of positive portrayals of gay couples. But I have to side with the "it's boring" crowd.

April 15, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Allison

Best show on TV. When I watch the re-runs, I enjoy them even more than the original airing of the episode. I have never experienced that with another show, and I don't know how they do it!

April 15, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nounou

Very Bad and Boring show.

April 14, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. AlbertEinstein

the Middle is a much funnier show.

April 14, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marie

I love Modern Family, but I thought this episode was a bit boring.

April 14, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Esther

Fabulous show...fabulous episode! Funny, charming, sweet, just not enough words to describe how well this ensemble works together.

April 14, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. robynware

I love this show – there are so many variations on 'family', but they all love each other, and it shows. This is a wonderful, funny show that shows family values at work.

April 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kris

When Diamond Dave speaks you can just hear the banjo start to play, huh?

April 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. FactsFirst

Diamond Dave said "Mexican sweater bounce" ?? If that was a reference to Sofia Vergara, she is not Mexican, rather Colombian....jes sayin'.... ;)

April 13, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Nobody you know

You know these idiots don't know the difference. To them Brown=Mexican. That's it nothing else.

April 13, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diamond Dave

If you're going to quote me, then do it correcly. I said Mexican sweater pillows.

And thanks for the lesson in South American studies professor dewche, but I still don't care where they pillows priginated from!

April 16, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. wim

I like the show in general but this episode was the worst one for me so far. It had a few good moments but it wasn't their usual stuff though.

April 13, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Susan Wattier

The people who say the show is terrible, have really no idea about it, they just comment on things because they need a job and a life. Idiot savants for sure!! Go to work and start becoming active members in society otherwise just go bury yourself in a cave and don't come out until your grown!!

April 13, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. Pat

This is BY FAR the best show on TV. I couldn't disagree more with those people who say it's terrible. I have never laughed out loud at any TV show prior to this one. I think Cam & Mitchell are a wonderful couple and Claire & Phil's family is just adorable. The reason this show wins so many awards is obvious...IT'S THE BEST THING ON TV!

April 13, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Ramc

I think the whole congregation at Westboro has learned about the internet.

April 13, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=823i8J0eKK4&w=640&h=390]

April 12, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Red Foreman

just another cr@p show on a tv full of cr@p shows. glad i got netflix and hulu.

April 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dan

Love the show, but... I thought last night's episode was terrible. Sorry.

April 12, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Diamond Dave

I mute it, and watch the Mexican sweater pillows bounce.

April 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Observer

Worst.
    Show.
    Ever.

April 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • trex

...What.................do you own shares of Haliburton?

April 13, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • yan

I have to agree with you,I still can not understand the popularity of that stupid show.I think that it is BORING and that the comedians are not that good,still can not understand why they get Emmy awards every year,while so many other good shows are passed.

April 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Evel Knievel

Is this Fudgepack Fest still on the air?

April 12, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |