A movie just for Nick Fury? Samuel L. Jackson can dig it
April 12th, 2012

A movie just for Nick Fury? Samuel L. Jackson can dig it

Samuel L. Jackson is cool with being part of an ensemble cast for the upcoming "Avengers," but he’d still like his character to star in his very own film.

The actor told CNN Wednesday that after two "Iron Man" films starring Robert Downey Jr. and movies focused on "Captain America" and "Thor," he wouldn't mind having some of the spotlight on his character, Nick Fury.

“Everybody wants to do a stand-alone superhero film!” explained Jackson. “Why wouldn’t I want to do that?”

If Scarlett Johansson felt the same way, she certainly didn’t show it.

At the world premiere for the heavily anticipated film in Hollywood Wednesday, the actress said that she’s just glad to be there.

"I have to thank Jon Favreau for introducing me to the Marvel family,” Johansson told CNN. “He took a leap of faith and he cast somebody like myself, who I think is not someone you would think of as being a superhero. He cast me in ‘Iron Man 2,’ and it was such an absolute pleasure to work with him and I feel really fortunate that I got to do it this time around."

But that doesn’t mean shooting the film wasn’t hard work.

Johansson, who’s cast as the "Avenger" crew's lone female character, Black Widow, told the Hollywood Reporter that the stunts for her role required intense physical labor.

"I think just kind of going back day after day, knowing that you’re going to get the crap kicked out of you and you do it willingly is sort of a challenge in itself, a mental challenge," she told THR. "But also I have to say that every time you fail at a stunt, it hurts until you get it right."

“The Avengers,” which also stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo and Jeremy Renner, comes out May 4.

1. Anil singh patyal

Haha

May 3, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Natweb

The Ultimate Universe is just training wheels for real comics. It was created so little kids who can't look past the year they were born can feel "Special". It will never have any real impact, because it takes it's lead from movies and TV. Weakness never becomes a classic.

April 16, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Natweb

I'm pretty much color blind when it comes to race, but Nick Fury has been around since the 1960s and he's decidedly quite white. This is like having a white guy play the Black Panther. I like Samuel Jackson, but he'll never be Nick Fury to me. He doesn't fit the character Jack Kirby created and couldn't possibly fill the role of a combat platoon sergeant in WWII. It's another ridiculous decision the morons who are putting these Marvel movies together are making. They don't honor their character's creators like Jack Kirby and they don't pay any attention to their own history. It's truly sad and only about exploiting other peoples amazing inspirations and hard work for more money.

April 16, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • RetroSmack

Wah Wah Wah...98% of the superheros in the comics are white and it's not enough for me. Black Nick Fury is from the Ultimate Universe, so he does exist in the comics just like white fury. Yea he might have been created in the last decade, but he exists. It's not a ridiculous decision, it's called progress.

April 16, 2012 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Ribb

Um, you do know that WWII ended almost sixty years ago, and THAT Nick Fury might be trundling back and forth from his water aerobics classes with a walker?

May 8, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Fred

How about doing a Sgt. Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos, WWII move?

April 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JellyBean

Yeah, Samuel L. Jackson kicking azz in his own superhero movie. I'm digging it.

April 13, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ted

Samual jackson is one cool dude.

April 13, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. RZ70

It certainly couldn't be any worse what that Hasselhoff did. No, seriously. Look it up and rent it. Just register for your suicide watch first.

April 12, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |