Alicia Silverstone: I didn't invent feeding technique
April 12th, 2012

Alicia Silverstone: I didn't invent feeding technique

Alicia Silverstone stands behind that now-infamous video she posted online that depicts her feeding her infant son from her mouth.

The actress told People magazine that “People have been feeding their kids that way for thousands for years,” during a screening of her 1995 comedy “Clueless” and upcoming flick “Vamps” in Brooklyn, New York, on Saturday.

"It’s a weaning process,” the 35-year-old actress continued. Silverstone touched off a firestorm last month when she posted the clip of herself feeding her 11-month-old son, Bear Blu, mouth-to-mouth.

“He attacks my mouth and I think it’s adorable," she said. "It makes me laugh every time he does it."

Bear Blu does know "how to use his hands and he also eats regular food,” she clarified. “When babies are weaning, he still breastfeeds. Some people think that’s disgusting too, which is insane.”

As for the criticism she's received or complaints from activists that she's trying to influence other women to feed their kids this way, she says that's not the case.

“Honestly, when I posted the video I was not thinking, so maybe I was like [my 'Clueless' character] Cher!” she said. “I didn't think I was inventing anything. I really wasn’t trying to tell anybody what to do."

1. lactose intolerance treatment

you're actually a excellent webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a great process on this subject!
    lactose intolerance treatment http://glutenfreebreakfastideas.com/gluten-free-weight-loss-plan

December 23, 2013 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. t3chsupport

Far more natural than most of the 'natural parenting' stuff I see people shelling out hundreds for. In many other countries, this is the option they have for weaning their children. It's not something I would do certainly, but I'm not going to harsh her for it. Beside that, I'm sure it probably helps with the immune system, similar to how breast feeding does. Mom has germs, mom has antibodies, baby needs to make those, too. Sounds gross because it's not something we're used to seeing, but then again, there's very little about being a parent that ISN'T gross.

April 16, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bill

Who said anything about vomiting in a kids mouth? My god! Has humanity changed so much in such a short period of time that a woman can't even chew up some food for her baby? I'm sorry, but 1 little ole 10 second French Kiss will put more germs into your mouth than chewing up a little food. And I must be totally whacked because when I was younger, there was a 4 or 5 year period when deep soul searching french kissing for hours was the norm. To many damned idiots spouting out ewww and nasty garbage and crap and not even thinking about what they're saying. All we're talking about here is chewing a little food for her baby. Not regurgitating. And yes, I've shared gum with many a girlfriend.

April 16, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. Seth

Leave her alone. And she is gorgeous.

April 16, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. Duh

Sorry to point out the obvious here but 1. Her kiddo is 11 months old. This ,means he has teeth. 2. Alicia is a vegan, so she is not feeding her kiddo meat thus 3. What type of vegan food would she be feeding her son that would require this? For those of you claiming that this has been done before baby food, check your facts, people have known how to mash up food for quite some time. My great grandmother would boil the fruits and veggies and then mash them with a masher. Duh. So, unless you are referring to a time or place where there is no way to boil water your claims are kind of silly. Beyond that, you can still buy baby food grinders. I bought a travel one at Walmart two months ago for four bucks. Sorry, it's weird, lazy and kind of gross.

April 16, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jack

No this is just dramatic, just wanting attention, who feed's their kids like that? besides a tribe somewhere,

April 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bill

All you guys are sooooooooo funny. And it's so sad to think that you've never kissed your children or spouses because of all the germs. You never shared a drink with your best friend. Never used your child's fork when you wanted to test something. Actually, funny is the wrong word. You people are sick and need some serious mental help. Man has been around for millions of years and just because over the past 50 or so some of you have become afraid of a little germ or whiff of a fart doesn't mean that the normal people need to live or answer to your abnormal, sick, and mentally unhealthy fantasies. Child services indeed; Someone needs to come take YOUR kids.

April 15, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • jack

yeah bill, i still dont like eating and drinking after someone, but i dont mind banging my wife

April 15, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh

@Bill, last I checked, feeding your kid chewed up food from your mouth and kissing your children are not the same thing. But hay, good luck to you. Do you share your ABC gum with your kids too?And hay, if you vomit into your kids mouth, no worries, your just showing the love, right?

April 16, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. tapu

All the things going on in the world and people go all whacked over this. This is not what hurts children. Go get whacked over kids whose parents mistreat their children. Like, by not feeding them. Or by beating them. You'll have your hands plenty full and won't be able to get to this "outrage."

You know, more closely related to your little issue here is that most mothers in the US don't breastfeed their children. Research that and see the difference in kids' health stats. Then work on awareness.

April 15, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. JR

Uh Alicia, that's not a weaning technique. As a previous extended BF'r with two kids, nowhere did anyone, anywhere recommended chewing yer kid's food for them. Not even with my knowledge of the extremely crunchy granola set.

This is just weird, it blurs the boundaries of parent/child, and you should knock it off. Your mouth is filled with germs that you don't need to introduce to a toddler with an immature immune system. And if you want to puree food, use a baby food grinder. They're cheap, easy to use and don't involve weird social behavior.

If a kid can't chew the food themselves, and you don't want to mechanically break it down for them, they're too immature to actually eat it. That is why babies aren't born with teeth. You introduce foods as they're ready for them, and not before.

April 15, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • t3chsupport

'Extended breast feeding' is waaay creepier than someone chewing up food for a baby. There are few things more disturbing than seeing a 3 or 4 year old hooked on like an infant, like their moms get off on it or something. Just gross.

April 16, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. stark

jeesh, that is why blender was invented...

April 15, 2012 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. steve

The World Health Organization specifically recommends against the practice of feeding your kid like its a baby bird because it spreads disease and promotes tooth decay. Now this ditz is on the internet showing people what a great idea it is...

April 14, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. maria

Okay Alfredo ,we got your point wich is abnormal too,I been around the world but the world you have been or seeing is not the same...only birds do this kind of feeding,the mouth is the most dirty part in a human body ,the mouth has most germs than any other place in your body,I don't know what you are trying to said but it is wrong ..okay animals do? but remember they are animals this is is a child a poor human being who is marked for his rest of his life ........he will see the video of his mom and he is in trouble! not matter how in other cultures they do this is ABNORMAL !and DIRTY! we don't have to do the same things others cultures do it! It is not hygienic is disgusting!

April 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. maria

She is DISGUSTING! it is pathetic she thinks she is a bird? is the only specie that use that method ,she is not a BIRD! poor little kid ...I wonder why is going to be his life when he grow up? it is marked for life! were is his father? I even think it is a kind of child abuse.......when I saw that video I cannot comprehned the matter with this phsychopatic woman! She doesn't understand that one of the body parts that has too much of GERMS is in the mouth ,I hope this child don't get sick!

April 14, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. art

The level of Western ignorance here is unbelievable. You go, gal. I'm with you on this one.

April 14, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bill

I think she's cool, and i applaud her for her originality, a trait sadly lacking in humanity these days...as evidenced by the commentary.

April 14, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Saxxon

I can see it on this kid's first date. He and his "friend" order and receive their food. Bear Blu gets a puzzled look on his face, and the waiter asks, "Is there anything wrong?" He replies, "Well, yeah. I'm going to need you to chew all of this up and spit it into my mouth." At that point, Bear Blu's date is outta there!

April 14, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. lisam

It must be nice to have so few worries in life that you can take time to worry about the technique in which a stranger feeds her child.

April 14, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. ChewOnMyMeat

You have to think, maybe a "Clueless II" will now be considered by the producers. Alicia lives the character in style.

April 14, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  19. chieatfetus

No, she's just extremely STUPID to be doing that, she's lucky her kid hadn't gotten sick from it yet.

April 14, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. Kev

I wish she was more like her Clueless character. She was so hot, and now she is this out there, vegan, hippie freak. As if...

April 14, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  21. suzy diamond

Wonderful manners this kid is having growing up! But then, he'll be lucky if he makes it into adulthood. Does this woman know that your mouth has the worst germs than ANY OTHER PART OF YOUR BODY? Prime example of a young woman, first child = idiot!

April 14, 2012 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  22. Mark Dunning

I kinda think you're all forgetting the "cuteness" factor. It's fun to see our children do odd little things that make us laugh. I think Alicia was simply having some fun with her kid and decided to film it. I used to do stuff like that with my kids when they were young. Stuff that amused me, but may have made other people cringe. If you can't have some fun with your kids once in a while then there's seriously something wrong with the world. And for the record, Alicia Silverstone is just as beautiful today as she ever was...

April 14, 2012 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. Holly

Okay, to all the people going on and on about how it isn't natural or what not; what do you think people did before baby food/blenders? Do you really think children can go right from the t!t to the steak? No, get over yourselves. If you don't like it THEN DON'T DO IT. This is really not that hard of a concept.

April 13, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh

@Holly, she is a vegan so it is safe to assume she is not feeding him steak. Dum, dum dum dum.

April 16, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  24. Bookenz

Why doesn't she just make her own baby food if she doesn't want to use store bought. What she's doing is just weird.

April 13, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. joyce

My 84 year old mother was a nursing home patient. On Thanksgiving the home brought her 3 blocks of soft food. One was the turkey, one was potatoes, and the other green beans. I had a fit and told them to bring her a regular Thanksgiving dinner. They said she would choke to death. I said I would feed her myself. It took me over 2 hours to slowly feed her. She could eat everything but the turkey. I chewed it up by my front teeth and fed it to her. She just kept saying I want more, more. It was the last real meal she had before she died a week later. What priviledge it was for me to do this loving thing for her. She loved pumpkin pie and she ate 2 pieces without the crust. I feel no shame doing this last gift I could do for her in the last few days of her life.

April 13, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kamster

What is the big deal?? My grandma fed me that way when i was young. Especially fish which was a big part of our diet and because she did not want me to get hurt with small bones into my mouth. Only someone whom loves you a lot would feed you that way

April 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  27. LMR

Ms. Silverstone, your 15 minutes are officially up.

April 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mockingjay

That video was THE MOST DISGUSTING display I've ever seen. This might have been normal back in the 1600s, before the invention of electricity and food choppers, but Alicia, NEWS FLASH! It's 2012. They have machines that can grind up natural foods. You can buy them for $10 at Wal-Mart. Ugh, I'm so embarassed for the kid.

April 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Adele

Poor kid, he will need therapy when he gets older...millions of people saw the clip.

April 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Puckles

This woman is so beautiful!

April 13, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jonas

some of the posts defending this are ridiculous....yes people in poor third world countries do this...but guess what? They have very high infant mortality rates too! In America we have electricity and food processors...there is no reason to do this in America other than publicity.

April 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. dgdm

You are disgusting – at 11 months HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO FEED HIMSELF! Alicia are you INSANE? People used to do it to babies – NOT TODDLERS! What sensations ARE YOU LIKING WHEN YOUR OWN CHILD GOES TO YOUR MOUTH TO BE FED?????

April 13, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Will

Nasty slob.

April 13, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Cozi

Alicia's manager to Alicia...."To get you back into the limelight you can either do a season of dancing with the stars or...you can spit chewed up food into your childs mouth. So whats it gonna be?"

April 13, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Truefax

Chewing a babies food is totally normal. I have done it for my own children, they are children, litterally an extention of YOU. There is no glamour in being a parent.

April 13, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Not true. And yes, I'm a parent.

April 13, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Will

No it's not normal. There's a reason why very few humans do it, and that the animals that are most genetically related to humans don't do it - because it spreads disease.

Humans/mammals aren't birds and the only people who do it are hippie new age ldiots who invented the behavior and who will eventually make their children sick.

April 13, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Ed

She can argue all she wants that this "feeding method" isn't weird or unhealthy or new. It's still disgusting and it's completely unnecessary. She has every right to do it, but people are going to react with horror and disgust. And yes, this is her private business, but she's the one who put a video of it on the Internet. Wiping your butt and blowing your nose are also "natural" but that doesn't mean everyone wants to see it.

She's a washed up star. The only things she's done over the last decade that have gotten press have been stripping naked for PETA, and spitting into her baby's mouth. This girl is literally CLUELESS.

April 13, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  37. tooquiet4me2005

Alicia, no you didn't.

Birds did.

April 13, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  38. JellyBean

I wish she would just shut up about it already.

April 13, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  39. Jason Viper

The feeding stuff doesn't bother me so much. What concerns me is her seeming inability to separte herself from the movie Clueless. The article mentions she was at a screening of the movie, and she is also quoted as saying she was like her Clueless character Cher. This is equivalent to Al Bundy or Hank Hill constantly reminding people of their HS football glory days 20 years later....nobody gives a damn. And for the record, I was in HS when that movie came out, and I thought it stunk. My parents found it hilarious though.

April 13, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  40. WVLady63

No matter what kind of an explanation she gives, this method IS NASTY AND DISGUSTING!

April 13, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  41. Sandy

Funny babies have been being raised in the US for ages without mothers chewing their childs food for them. Most dentists will tell you the your mouth is one of the dirtiest places their is. Way too much bacteria!! That is gross!! I have a very healthy 3 year old that I've never once spit food in her mouth.

April 13, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  42. Marilyn

She is disgusting, does her husband do the same to her? I hope so maybe she will taste something that has been in his mouth for a week, then she will realize how unsanitary that practice is.

April 13, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  43. citizenUSA

The next celebrity baby name is.................................... Who Blu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 13, 2012 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  44. Franklin J Hossenfeffer

For me, she once embodied (literally) the whole idea of HOTNESS. Now, not so much.

April 13, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  45. tracey

even though she is famous yes it is gross but i dont think she should be criticized for how she feeds her own child i know there is alot of babies that goes for your mouth i dont think its child abuse

April 13, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Al

And I bet they are looking for food when they go for the mouth. They see it go in there all the time.

April 15, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  46. Edgar

i wonder if her nannies or babysitters are required to do the same.

April 13, 2012 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  47. Jeff

To Ned & all the others that make what i would consider stupid comments, grow up. No wonder you guys are alone in life. She has explained the concept, her rational. Now, what do you care? If you have children they are eating dirt & thier boogers for crying outloud! FYI, she still looks beautiful. It would be great to see her in either movie or t.v. roles.

April 13, 2012 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  48. Hmm..

Mothers who do things to their poor vulnerable children that only serve the mother's sociopathic need to exercise their ego and control issues are pathetic. If that poor baby had been given consideration, she would never use this barbaric method! She does this disgusting act because the kid is defenseless and dependent upon her. Thats why it seems abusive.

April 13, 2012 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
  49. game changer

you cant breast feed me if u want:/

April 13, 2012 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  50. game changer

i really dont give a damn what she does n you people shouldent either.
    this just gives moron's something to gossip about!

April 13, 2012 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  51. Bernard Christian

Geez, what's the big deal? You negative people have tongue-kissed and exchange other bodily fluids, yet find it strange that a mother's saliva is in the food for her baby. I guess you don' t like breast-feeding either. I mean that is a fluid transferred from the mother to the child. Just because it is not the 'norm' doesn't mean it's abnormal. I think tolerance is an appropriate word here.

April 13, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  52. The Lord of Excess

All the people yammering about how this is gross and how the media is making a big deal out of this need to just simply spend about 5 minutes on the amazing thing we call the "internet" or as Al Gore likes to call it "the information super highway." By taking a look at this topic one will find that probably a few billion people still practice this on the planet and there is a plethora of information on the history of the bird feeding method (as the media has dubbed it). Typical sensationalized media trying to make a big deal out of something that is completely meaningless.

April 13, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  53. Richard Fore

I love to eat a$$ and have only gotten sick from it a few times so I'm sure there's no harm in doing this.

April 13, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  54. Dave

Yes Alicia, Vultures have fed their young that way for centuries.

April 12, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mom-E

After reading many of these comments..I am convinced that " opinions" are like rectums..every one has one! Grow up and learn how to spell before you open your pie holes! Then take your kids to Mcdonalds or Chuck , Cheese's for a healthy snack!And don't forget the fork! Stop the drama ya dang half wits..

April 12, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  56. jimbini

Knife and Fork ???

April 12, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  57. ccrizz

It's laziness on her part. Ignorance of germs is bliss! She's a cute actress but she's not a penguin!she needs to wash dishes use a knife and fork to cut the food.she could stand to lose a meal! She needs to lose weight! Sorry Silverstone!

April 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Colken

This practice absolutely was done for hundreds and hundreds of years...before blenders. When progressing a child from liquid to solid food it is a way to tenderize and make the food digestable for the infant. This is not a practice I did, but I do not see anything wrong with her actions. Based on the close contact between mother and child anyway, the baby is not going to get any weird disease from the mouth...think of all the pacifiers and toys and everything else they stick in their mouths. Also, being breast fed at eleven months is not "too long" as one post mentioned. It is a mother's decision.

April 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Malicide

When I first read this story a few days ago I asked my great grandmother if she had ever heard of such a thing, and she said that she was weaned in the exact same way and that she did the same thing to her kids. It's a tad weird is this day and age, but nothing to condemn Alicia for. I think she just thought it was cute, and I can kinda see how she might. Just glad my mom never did that to me when I was a kid. Or at least she says she didn't...

April 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Madame Rue

What the heck kind of name is Bear Blue????????? Could this woman be any more ridiculous??????

April 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Conner

People in Hollywood are crazy. If I named my kid Apple, Orange, Panda Bear or Blue Ivy theyd take my kid from me and put me in an insane asylum.

April 12, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Me

Kinda like Blue Ivy!! lol

April 13, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Georgiana Devonshire

That is absolutley disgusting and absurd! Hollywood people really do live in a fantasy world, every day of their lives. Maybe they should work real jobs, for crap pay and low benefits, like most of the country does, and then they wouldn't have time for such nonsense.
    Perhaps she did this to bring attention to herself and her upcoming "movie".

April 12, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Badass kitty

@ Trisha- ur A GRADE -A IDIOT. AND TO EVRYONE ELSE. GET A LIFE.

April 12, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  63. MT

@Trisha – Please grow up and try to stay on topic next time.

April 12, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  64. anonymous

Sweetheart, it's called a blender for crying out loud. Just because you're whacked out of your gourd, doesn't mean you need to feed your baby food from your mouth. I can only imagine what you've put in that mouth of yours. EWWW!

April 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Kuzie Mujuru

you and your child are not birds!..thats really disgusting..

April 12, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Adara

Lol

April 12, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Varun

Looks like none of the people here know the history behind HUMMUS!!

April 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Kosmo Kramer

The shocking thing is, as this story started to fade away...Alicia brings it up again. And grosses us out a 2nd time! Talk about clueless. "As if!". -KK

April 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Thats because she has a new film cming out. It's a publicity stunt to revive a carrer that's been dead for years. Just like that Kanye and Kim Kardashian thing. He has a new shoe coming out and a new record. And she just loves attention. But u have to give props to their publicists for keeping their names in the air. I mean, whens the last time u thought about Alicia Silverstone?

April 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Lizzy10

Um, yuck.

April 12, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  70. abbydelabbey

She may not have invented that form of feeding but did she have to gross everyone out? Hasn't she ever heard of a blender????? Stupid is forever.....

April 12, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I think she knows about blenders. It's just that she's an idiot and thinks that feeding her kid from het mouth, breast feeding her kid well beyond the age the kid should get breast fed, is a way 4 her to connect with her son. No offense, but women with young kids scare me. U women do sum of the nastiest stuff and always get mad if somone calls u out on it. This chick really is clueless.

April 12, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*vikkk

What, are you twelve? She said she is weaning, meaning she is slowly stopping breastfeeding. At 11 mos. this is normal, in fact, it is recommended you nurse the first 12 mos.

April 13, 2012 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  71. bribrat

I'd rather wash my mouthout with toilet bowl water than to be fed mouth to mouth by my own mother. Sorry mom!

April 12, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Alex

You know what CLUELESS is? All you idiots who think you know what is best for someone else, when in reality, you have absolutely no idea what it's like to be a parent.

April 12, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harriet Spencer

Um, Alex, real parents do NOT chew food up and spit it into the mouths of their children. At least, not parents who live outside of a robin's nest. And yes, honey, I am a parent. Are you?

April 12, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  73. bribrat

@ Boo,, the place in which babies come out of is not as dirty as the human mouth. Do some research before making childish comments like that.

April 12, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Richard

This no big deal, my mother fed me by first chewing the food and giving it me. People are making a non-existent deal into a big deal. Get over it.

April 12, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Booo

I chew up some of my son's food and give to him in my hand – clean hands. You people crying it's gross are pathetic. You do realize where babies come out, mouth and all, don't you? Besides, considering that Humane Society video released today on the conditions in chicken farms, food from parent's mouth to child should be the least of your worries.

April 12, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

You're not only an idiot but you're an idiot who will never understand why you're an idiot.

April 12, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheGraduate

Yes, let's compare chicken farms to spitting food into a kid's mouth. And do some research on the American "Humane" Society before you reference them in, well, anything.

April 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jgirl

I totally agree!

April 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al

I bet they eat eggs and never think of where it came out of the chicken.

April 12, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boo hooo

disgusting....your poor son.....I rather eat Mc Donald's anyday than someone else's regurgitated food

April 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  76. viranka

what a moron don't you realize that your mouth contain some of the worst germs and that only one other part of your body is worse and i am sure you can guess where. poor kid!

April 12, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al

Babies eat dirt, bugs, dog food, and just about anything else they can put in their mouths, and you find mouth feeding dirty?

April 12, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Mark

People have been shi*ting on the ground for thousands of years too. Now we have toilets. Just another Hollywood birdbrain.

April 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al

And toddlers have probably tasted it, along with dirt, bark and plastic toys.

I was raised on a farm, no telling what made its way into my mouth.

April 12, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  78. TommyBoy

Is this followup article supposed to explain her strange childcare behavior? This makes it more gross and weird. "He attacks my mouth...". Child protection services should be engaged on this case, for sure now. And she should shut her mouth, figuratively and literally.

April 12, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*Concerned

CPS? Are you serious? I dont feed my kids the way Alicia does, but to allege that it (or her comments) raise child welfare concerns is inexcusable.

April 12, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al

For a day, follow a kid that age and see what they put in their mouth. Mouth feeding is OK in my book. It introduces the kid to many different foods, many different flavors. The enzymes from her mouth helps digest the food.

April 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • BobTheBuilder

I think ur mother should take a dump in ur mouth. Not much difference than above, is it? Just stays in her body a little longer, and comes out a different hole. Right?

April 12, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Name

This abusive. Maybe CPS should come check on ur children too. You jerk.

April 13, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*Concerned

@name , you may want to consult basic legal standards in this area. Thanks for the "jerk" reference.

April 15, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • 4sanity

It's not strange behavior (except for out of touch sanitized Westerners). It is the way humans have always fed their babies except for maybe the past 100 years. The macination/predigestion of food was essential to provide babies with digestible food. And the microbial fuana passed on is also essential irrespective of one's modern ick factor aversion. Infact, it is the hypersanitized modern environment that has had a considerable negative influence on children's autoimmune dysfunction including allergies. All those mothers religiously wiping everything down with Lysol. It might be better sometimes to lick your unwashed fingers, eat some unwashed raw fruits & vegetables, and share some "mouth action" (kissing) with another human being.

April 15, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  79. RebelYell

Alicia, Um, we know you did not invent the mouth-to-mouth feeding protocol. Disease carrying birds and flies did, a milenium ago. So not cool. -RY

April 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenja

April 12, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  80. jo

She's absolutely right. What do you think mothers did for thousands of years before Gerber invented baby food? My grabndmother did this, and her mother before her, etc.

April 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Exactly. My grandmother did that with her kids and everyone prior to her did too. They didn't have baby food back then NOR did they have blenders, food processors, etc. Kudos to Alicia.

April 12, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • tanna456

It's NOT a necessary thing to do for your child. Not even thousands of years ago!

April 12, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda in Newport

people used to use leaves and paper for toilet hygiene too! used to is the operative word here. why chance spreading germs and illness when it is not necessary today in this century. just saying......

April 12, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  81. SilentBoy741

Silverstone is the Apple Computer of wacko behavior: No, she didn't invent the technique, she just refined it into an art form and introduced it to the masses.

April 12, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Cozi

How could you ever think chewing up food and spitting it into a child's mouth is a sane thing to do? I guess she's just doing to her child what she did to her movie career, scr3wing it up....bazinga!!

April 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • pennylane

your bizarre...someone should chew food and spit into your mouth...you obviously don't know much do you? in third world countries mothers have been doing this for centuries...if the food is to tough they chew for their children...Apparently if its not acceptable in "this" society it must be weird and not acceptable...maybe whats not acceptable and weird is you....

April 12, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Diamond Dave

Spitting your chewed food in the mouth of a kid ain't normal. ON top of that htis chick ain't looking anywhere near hot anymore, I guess it was downhill after 20 for her.

April 12, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alfredo

I've travelled outside the US, and I have seen mothers feed their children that way. If the food is too tough to chew that's how they tenderize the food. Some arctic groups feed the elderly that way. It's hard to chew without teeth.

Variations of that method is common in other parts of the animal kingdom. Wolf pups lick the face of their parents to signal to them to vomit up the kills so they can eat. When your dog licks your face, he wants you to feed them what's in your stomach. That's part of the weaning the pups away from milk to solids.

Birds vomit up their food to feed their chicks.

You can never tell, pre chewing might help bolster the kid's immune system by passing on enzymes and bacterias.

April 12, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ream

Actually, in societies that do not have access to blended baby food, or food processors to turn adult food into mush, it is common place for mothers to chew their baby's food for them, and then spit it dirrectly into their mouth.

April 16, 2012 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  84. Jaxx

Things are getting weird with her... Hollywood Leek did a nice writeup of this story... lol http://hollywoodleek.com/2012/04/alicia-silverstone-poops-in-baby-butt/

April 12, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Evel Knievel

I'd like to watch her share some of my "food" with another chick.

April 12, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChewOnMyMeat

CNN: its been like 4days. What, no Alicia follow-up story? I need to know, what is her current gross-out child-rearing teaching tool for all of us? Has CPS paid her home a visit yet?

April 17, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  86. Ned

She looks older in this photo than she did 2 weeks ago. Ooooooold. Maybe she will do a depends diaper commercial too. Ooooooooold.

April 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Always TTime

Maybe a diaper commercial for kids. The way her kid eats can you imagine what goes in that diaper! Ewwww!

April 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

@ Ned: OMG! Shes not a pre-pubescent teen star for you to fantasize about Shes a woman! Shes scary to you! Ahh.. the hilarity of youth.

April 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • WeAllgetOld

So glad I did not choose to be a movie star. Al those age issues with the general public..

April 12, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • rachel

i would bet good money you are older than she is by far and way worse looking! post a pic of yourself

April 12, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • OLA

How come porn actresses are more attractive.

April 13, 2012 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
    • BethTX

Freaks age at a faster rate, especially washed-up hasbeens.

April 13, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |