Lollapalooza announces 2012 lineup
April 11th, 2012

Lollapalooza announces 2012 lineup

Lollapalooza fever has officially begun.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys and Jack White are among the 130 acts who will take the stage at the Chicago music festival come August.

Heavy metal legends Black Sabbath will reunite at the festival in their only North American gig this year. The Afghan Whigs and At the Drive-In will also play together after a 10- and 11- year hiatus, respectively.

Chart favorites Avicii, Justice, Florence + The Machine, Bassnectar, Passion Pit and The Shins are also slated to rock out in Chicago's Grant Park this summer.

"This year our multi-colored lollipop swirls black and white with Black Sabbath, Jack White, and The Black Keys," Lollapalooza founder Perry Farrell says in a press release. "Two Electronic acts, Justice and Avicii will be presented on the main stages ... Can it get any heavier in the park?"

The eighth annual three-day festival will take place the weekend of August 3.

1. Cisco Orange County

We are a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with helpful information to paintings on. You've performed a formidable job and our whole neighborhood will be grateful to you.

August 16, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. savings interest calculator compounded monthly

My brother recommended I may like this website. He was totally right. This publish actually made my day. You can not believe simply how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

May 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Maryam

"Yeah. All these children are just hippy wannabes. I'm a real hippy. I got long hair and lice and I never take baths. I know what it means to be a hippy. Grooooovy." \m/ ..
    You're just gross dude.

Anyways.

UGH. Every year I cry because it's so far away.. oh well, I still have Coachella but the line up needs to get better for next year omG

April 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. You'reAllIdiots

This is what I did when I read every single comment here:
    "Laughing so hard no sound comes out so you sit there clapping like a retarded seal.."

Oh and for the record I dont listen to any of these bands, I don't go to this fest, and I am not a "hippie" of todays ignorant society. :)

April 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph M

Wow, you sound angry man. get away from your sticky keyboard and learn how to be sociable.
      Life can be fun.

April 23, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. heathnav

So where exactly is the line-up. OH, I get it. This is just an announcement of the announcement of the line-up. Well done. For a moment I thought I left CNN. Would it kill you clowns to at least post a link to the real line-up?

April 12, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. REMfan

People...relax! Life is short, just enjoy it. If you love music then this is the place to be, go and have fun, but be careful. A little common sense goes a long way.

April 12, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • JellyBean@REMfan

I saw REM during their Monster tour. Fantastic, I love them.

April 12, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. neuroscott13

I've got long hair & tattoos, I'm a doctor, stoked to see another Lolla-fest (will be my 3rd) and I'm using well-earned and allowed scheduled time-off to attend. So put me into your narrow minded categories, haters. And I'll be back at work Monday, drug-free and not hungover, when your parent or grandparent gets admitted for a stroke or head trauma,

April 12, 2012 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sokman

Stop lying for attention Dan. You know its your mother, not a friend's. And you meant to say there isn't anyone that hasn't loved her, all over her face

April 11, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

First off, what is the deal with you dude? Got a bug up your azz about me? My friend's mom was a hippie. She's the coolest women. My Mother is younger, a bit before her time. Look, just because your mom is a sleaze & that's all you know, don't think everyone's mom's are like that. Maybe you should just stfu before you hurt yourself with all that thinking you are doing.

April 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. boomBoom

I'll stick with Bonnaroo.

April 11, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TreeTrunk

"you've obviously never been to a lollapollooza. i wouldn't call black sabbath & chili pepper fans hippies. i think all the hippies are dead by now anyway."
    I was born in raised in Austin, TX..... They are not dead....they all just moved here....

April 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brenda

Can't believe Meshuggah and Opeth are being discussed on CNN. All kinds of awesomeness.

April 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. you

For the price of the tickets do you really thing broke people would go? I doubt they take food stamps.

Plus this used to be a touring thing and was around in the 90's...woopie do.

April 11, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Leucadia Bob

April 11, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Leucadia Bob

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIu5aPIIzzM&w=640&h=390]

April 11, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JPJ3016

Sounds like the old Lollapalooza lineups were better when I went to the original ones, Janes Addiction, Soundgarden, Living Colour.......

April 11, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  16. nick

As i sit here reading all the comments About Hippies not all Hippies are worthless as some of you seem to think. Many of them have good jobs, Lawyers,Doctors,Nurses, Business owners. Not all Hippies take drugs or drink alcohol, i as my kids and their friends call me you old Hippie i love music any kind Classical, is my favorite. Cora,Ron,Joel,Jb_in_atl, you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to the word Hippie just what you read or hear from others. I worked for 30 years at one place worked my way up to a supervisor position in 5 years and was there for 25yrs. So if you want to know what a real hippes is all about ask your parents, today we see the new age young hippies they don't do drugs i know many of them from festivals i go to every year and i go to at 7 a year. They dress pretty my like me and my friends did back in the day.....

April 11, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sir

The atmosphere of this website amazes me. People insulting others for smoking weed and listening to music they like having fun and not messing with anyone else. Sure they have long hair, whats wrong with that. They are comfortable enough with themselves not to care about what others think and you go on rants about them like they are all devil worshipers and the antichrist. When was the last time you saw someone with no job who could afford weed for 50 bucks a gram and buys about 10 grams at a time then buys a 100 dollar bong and a few 250 dollar pairs of tickets to listen to a few days of music? I have never witnessed that, and it seems highly improbable that anyone every will. Become educated on hippies before you insult them due to ignorance.

April 11, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • NickB

Right on. Thank you for an insightful comment. Finally someone who gets it.

April 11, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • @sir

I was a hippie. These kids don't know what they are talking about. We have seen all the great rock & roll bands come & go. Seen alot of them play at concerts, too. They will never be able to say that. How long will their music idols last? I have to admit, it was one of the most fun times of my life. I have held a job all my adult life. I have a great family. Not bad for a hippie, I guess.

April 11, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  18. OldDirtyHippie

Yo bro ... where the ganga

April 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Matt

AT THE DRIVE-IN?!!!!! :O

April 11, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mookie lawful

Hippies???!!! Its 2012.................thats ancient history.............

April 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Joel

I don't know very many "jobless hippies" who have $200+ to spend on a ticket to Lolla...

April 11, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Paul

You take Prozac, Wellbutrin or whatever...we smoke pot, what's the diiference? Oh right, I can still get it up!

Hippies today come in all types. We are your mechanics, teachers, doctors, ems workers, lawyers and so on. You never know. Besides not only "Hippies" smoke pot. More people then you know do!

And this festie is very out dated...do yourselves a tabor, find a local festival (within your state) that's small and over a weekend. Find one where u don't know any of the bands. The atmosphere is much better, more intimate and you wont believe the talent your locals have!

GO SEE LOCAL LIVE MUSIC!!!

April 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jake

So what's up with all the hippie comments? Just because people enjoy music, they are hippies? That doesn't make any sense.

April 11, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. xeno

Hmm. What's the unofficial age limit? These sound like bands that cater to a 30 something crowd, but I fear it will actually be a bunch of 18 year olds.

April 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Caleb

So where is the complete list of bands? The only band named above I like is the Chili Peppers. I can't stand Jack White's voice and the Black Keys' music sounds like something my grandpa would listen to.

April 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ace

"Can it get any heavier in the park?"

LMAO !!!

April 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Butch Wynegar

"oh, hey man. It is so very heavy in this park ... I just have to lay down, man"

April 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  27. King Rhino

"Hippies"? "Get a haircut"? .... 1968 called and wants it's insults back. You asshats don't have a clue as to what you're talking about but keep on spewing your ignorance. "Hippies" love laughing at asshats.

April 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Butch Wynegar

I can hear all the other hippies telling their friend the following: "Oh, King Rhino, you are so groovy man" "Hey, outta sight" Only a hippie would be named "King Rhino". I understand you want to defind your kind and that is fine. Just my point is that this is indeed what happens at Lollapalooza. So, you and all your hippie buddies can at least make that effort at your little lolla-hippie affair to gossip about your cnn comments too. Otherwise I am sure you will keep it lazy ..... oh, I am sorry, " I am not hip to the scene" I am sure you would say that you are "keeping it mellow"

April 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  28. GozieBoy

Will it be Barack or Moochelle that makes a "special guest appearance"??

April 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Cap'n Sweatpants

Lawnfulaloosers!

April 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Butch Wynegar

Big gathering of hippies. How did this happen? I was appalled at the sight. Everyone talking peace, love and rock n roll – all laying in the grass, fumbling with their zippers, getting high and drooling on themselves. So many in bell bottoms too,,,, and funny hats. A disgrace to the straight USA. The only difference to this and 40 years ago is that while all of this is going on they are also playing with dirty, hippie handheld devices and the latest hippie app to help them find the closest oxygen tent.

April 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  31. BoonR

"Can it get any heavier in the park?" Yes. Sigur Ros. Since they aren't billed as a headliner, you can guarantee a main stage set as the sun is going down. Reason enough to buy a ticket.

April 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. mutant tongue croon

I'm not so much afraid of the bands but, the people carrying weapons around. I suppose they have metal detectors there ??..no pun intended. The only weapons hippies carry are big hookas and massive bongs. These festivals are scary for hippies....we only want love, peace, happiness. If you bump into someone the wrong way or look cross eyed at someone they pull out a gun. The young kids cannot handle the weed of today......its much, much stronger than it used to be......now you take a couple of tokes and you are in la la land......having absolutely no idea what you are doing. Thats the scary part.....maybe the US Army can provide security?

April 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  33. maynard

1996 called. they want their concert back.

April 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Fest sux

Music
    Festivals are no fun to any real fan. Bands play 45 minute sets of only their hits to crowds filled with only 1/2 the people caring about the band. I have worked security or been to ACL, Bonnaroo, Coachella, Lollapalooza, and many more. The best thing you can do is if the fest is in a city GO TO THE AFTER SHOWS!. See your band in a small club for 2 hour sets with real fans. They all play somewhere, not always announced. Look and you can find.

April 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Nate

DAWES!!!

April 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  36. JJ

Line-up isn't all that great. All for EDM but it shouldn't be the focal point

April 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  37. jimmy

Id go see sabbath but i hate people.

April 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  38. KM

Not a fan of Lolla for various reasons, but it's nice to see the Black Keys playing to bigger crowds like these.

April 11, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  39. erich2112x

Far out.

April 11, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  40. M.E.

I'm not exactly sure I'd call Avicii and Justice "heavy." Justice perhaps is bass-oriented at times, but Avicii is just generic pop-house built to satisfy the p-tots and drunk guys who hit on them at 2am. Cool that Sabbath will be there, but they're the only ones who qualify as properly heavy.

April 11, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. flyboy7588

People who go to this smell bad.

April 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Blue Ink ME

what's a slayer band eh? is it a band of ppl that called themsleves slayers and go out and slay dragons ? eh eh? sumbody do tell ? En a black sabbath ? is that sumthing to do with the bible ? I got to get out from under my nova and zz tops days

April 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Remy_LeBeau

@Blue Ink ME...ZZ Top and Black Sabbath were both formed in 1969, yet you profess ignorance of the latter band?

April 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  43. anTRON

At the Drive In was awesome last night in Dallas.

April 11, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  44. scott

Aside from Black Sabbath, I've heard of Justice and Bassnecter (and even have a Justice CD).

Whew, I'm still not too old. There will come a day where I'll see the lineup and won't recognize a name...

April 11, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  45. god

There is no "devil" music, the devil doesn't allow any form of enjoyment.....

April 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Remy_LeBeau

@god...There is devil music. It's performed by a band called Deathspell Omega. And you won't enjoy it, either.

April 11, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Jesus Here

this concert will be amazing, best believe i'll be there!!!

April 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  47. chris

eh, went to Lollapalooza II in 1992: RHCP, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Jesus & Mary Chain, Ice Cube, Ministry, lots more I've forgotten. I'll sit this one out.

April 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Gina

Waynestock was much better, except running out of the red rope licorice.

April 11, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Remy_LeBeau

@matt: Along with Slayer, I'd argue than none of the bands you mentioned are currently death metal either. I have seen all 3 live at some point during their careers (In Flames more than once). Meshuggah = "djent" or "math metal". Opeth = a 70's-style prog band that used to have death growls ("Deliverance" was the last thing they recorded that is remotely death metal). In Flames = a disgraceful mallcore/nu-metal band that used to play melodic death metal and peaked with "The Jester Race." Here are some true death metal bands (some active, others disbanded): Autopsy, Asphyx, Bolt Thrower, Death, Dismember, Disma, Carcass, Exhumed, Immolation, Incantation, Nile, Deicide, General Surgery, Behemoth (newer material), Cancer, Morbid Angel (old), Pestilence, Hail of Bullets, Suffocation, Gorefest, Demigod, Purtenance, Demilich, Bloodbath, Decapitation, Kataklysm, etc. etc. Spot on, though, in your defense of Black Sabbath in the lineup...any "alt-rocker" who complains about the Sabs should fall to their knees and thank Tony Iommi because, chances are, there would be NO heavy music in any genre as we know it today had he not picked up a guitar.

April 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • EighteenCharacters

Don't even need to listen to the music - I'm already entertained just by reading the names of the bands.

April 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Tummy Sticks

Borrrrrringgg. Today's music scene needs an enema.

April 11, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Try some of the prog metal from the other side of the pond. Some very fine, precise examples of talent. I'm really into Jorn Lande right now..... Start with "out to every nation", go from there! Check out his back and forward material.

April 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Dear Cora,

Marry me :)

April 11, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  52. alsheck

This looks like a nice one-day fest lineup. But Lollapalooza is not news anymore like it was in the early- and mid-'90s when it was a national tour with dozens of dates. Nowadays, there are many, many bigger, longer, more important festivals around the country.

April 11, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nyarlathotep

Agreed. I was at Lollapalooza - the first - in 1991, which featured the then-farewell appearance of Jane's Addiction and the debut of Ice-T's Body Count. And, yeah, they played "Cop Killer," and, no, nobody reacted until over a year later, when Jack Whatsisface (the anti-videogame lunatic) lobbied Interscope Records to have the song struck from the CD's second pressing. Damn, I'm old ....

April 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Cora

Before you know it you'll be listening to Iron Butterfly and Country Joe. Dang hippie protesters.

April 11, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stoney

I agree with you Cora. I'm not even going to bother going if Canned Heat or Jimi Hendrix isn't there.

April 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  54. AL

April 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  55. matt

Cora- Black Sabbath is going to be there. Most of us are over the age of 30. I guarantee our minds are much more advanced than yours. Good luck tying to get a life.

April 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cora

Then you are old enough to know better. You should be at home watching The Walton's or Lawrence Welk. Plus you'll miss Gunsmoke if you go to the hippie convention.

April 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pinky

Good Luck trying to get auto correct.

April 11, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  56. cnnlicksit

Upload a Slayer CD to the sound system and watch them all run like frightened ants. Hippies cant stand death metal.

April 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • matt

Slayer is not death Metal. Maybe give Meshuggah, Opeth, and In Flames a try.

April 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • SlayerChic

Slayer is thrash metal, not death metal. I'd love to see them headlining Lollapalooza!

April 11, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • EighteenCharacters

I saw Slayer play with Testament back in the early 1990s, during the first Gulf War. Someone in the crowd in front of me wrote "War Sporter" on the back of his jean jacket. That pretty much says it all.

April 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Susan

Cora...lighten up. If you are without sin, you may cast the first stone.

Dan...wish I knew your friend. He's got it made!

Have fun, whoever gets to go.

April 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  58. LawMan

The police should go in there with bulldozers and scoop them youngsters up like they did the protesters in the movie Soylent Green. Make dang protein bars out of them all.

April 11, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  59. Larry

Black Sabbath, huh? Next year, we'll have Motorhead and Deep Purple!!!!

April 11, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  60. ~BurnCinder~

@Dan, hi there. Yes, he sure seems so. Have a nice day.

April 11, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  61. me [@Dan]

Your friend should ask you to go with him or vise verse, eh?

April 11, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  62. Dan

My friend goes to this every year. He says it is a blast. The company he works for has many vendors across the US. One of their Chicago salespeople always puts him up in a nice hotel, & wines & dines him, too. The dude has it made!

April 11, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Cora

is your friend a hippie?

April 11, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

@Cora- no he's not a hippie, but his Mom "was". She is the coolest woman you could ever know. There's not a person on this earth that doesn't love her.

April 11, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  63. me

That's quite a variety of bands and will draw a lot of ppl. Good for Chicago's revenue.

April 11, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  64. Cora

It'll just be a bunch of hippies. You'd be better off going to church. Dang hippies.

April 11, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Church sucks and so do you.

April 11, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • dan

Jesus? Is that you?

April 11, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • TEDcGEGI

Why is it, when I read your comment, I suddenly heard the first few cords from "Dueling Banjoes" on the radio. Guess I'll watch "Deliverance" tonight.

April 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolo

Its cute that u think religious cults are better than hippies

April 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • cyn507

April 11, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • BD

Neither hippie nor hipster would be caught dead at a Black Keys concert. If your going to be ignorant and insulting at least get the name of the particular counter culture right. Now if only we could get those emo gleeks to stop grinding their rollerblades on city property!

I saw Tool, Korn, and Snoop at lolla in the '90s, now that was a festy!

April 11, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • The rational one

Yes, you are right, all the "hippies" going to see black sabbath. They should all listen to you, because you are the conservative hippie hater, reading CNN, the clinton news network.

Old Troll

April 11, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • jb_in_atl

I'm with you, Cora. Bunch of long-haired people, never worked a paying job in their life.

Wait, Jesus, is that you?

April 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • JPJ3016

1967 called, they said you should go back now.

April 11, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Church is over rated, I'd go to Lollapalooza if I were actually a real person and not a made up icon to keep you knuckleheads in line.

April 11, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  65. JellyBean

Man, I bet this is a lot of fun. Always wanted to go.

April 11, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Ron Wilibby

Yes, full of hippies. I went last time. They all ran around frollicking when I was there. Having fun, partying and smoking stuff. Laying in the grass. I could not help to think how much the economy would be better if these people got a haircut and a job. Get a job hippie!!

April 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd in DC

You know, Ron, many of those people have jobs but took a few days off to enjoy the festival.

Others simply don't have jobs – the economy still isn't that great, you know?

And what's wrong with hippies, anyway?

April 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stan Myers

I'm so pumped for this years lineup! Ive attended for 10 years straight and I've gotta say the past two years have been the best. I was really looking forward to seeing The Red Hot Chili Peppers until I found out I wouldn't be able to go :( Especially after already paying for my ticket. So I decided to give my wristbands to a lucky person who I feel deserves it the most. If you're interested I setup a small site with some more info:

April 16, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |