April 10th, 2012

Melissa Gilbert recovering after 'DWTS' injury

Last night's "Rock Week" edition of "Dancing with the Stars" was marred by an apparent celebrity injury that required immediate medical treatment.

Host Tom Bergeron announced at the end of the show that actress Melissa Gilbert went to the hospital after she and pro partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy received their scores for their paso doble. Video of the routine showed Melissa apparently hitting her head on the dance floor near the end of her routine.

"(Melissa) had some concussion-like symptoms after she got her scores," Maksim's brother, Val Chmerkovskiy, told CNN after the show. "She was a little nauseous and dizzy, so she decided to go to the hospital."

Maksim also fell during the routine, which Judge Len Goodman blamed on a slippery floor. Melissa and Maksim received a 22 out of a possible 30 from the three-judge panel, and the actress is now recovering.

“As a result of hitting her head during the dance [Monday], Melissa has a mild concussion and whiplash. She is at home, resting comfortably and looking forward to her next dance," her rep told CNN.

As far as the other celebrities, Sherri Shepherd was the first performer up to bat, and she did a tango to a Quiet Riot song. To be honest, the tune didn't fit with the dance, and Sherri looked slow and robotic, a far cry from the enthusiasm we've seen in previous weeks.

Len noted some instability with Sherri's dancing, while both Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba expressed disappointment with the routine's lack of exuberance.

Before the scores were revealed, co-host Brooke Burke Charvet appeared to blame Sherri's poor performance on her traveling to New York to do "The View." That excuse is on the level of why Lucy can't catch a pop fly in "Peanuts."

Sherri Shepherd: 21/30 (All 7s)

Katherine Jenkins was up next, and had prepared for her paso doble by training in an MMA gym. We've now reached the point where "Dancing" has run out of ideas.

During the dance, and for the first time this season, Katherine looked a bit unsteady and confused. The routine appeared acceptable, although parts of the performance were somewhat out of left field.

Bruno thought Katherine was a tad reckless at times, while Len said the routine, while promising, didn't work.

Katherine Jenkins: 24/30 (All 8s)

Jaleel White was our next dancer up, and he channeled his inner Mick Jagger by dancing a tango to a Rolling Stones song. Alas, his attempt to imitate Jagger's strut looked more like someone who really needed to go to the bathroom. Nevertheless, the routine was an improvement from the previous two weeks, where Jaleel looked bored and distracted.

Carrie Ann said she loved the dance, while Len and Bruno thought the routine needed more drive and aggression. Before the scores were revealed, Brooke asked if Jaleel should change his name to "Jagger."  Note to Brooke: The paperwork is too complicated.

Jaleel White: 22/30 (Carrie Ann Inaba 8, Len Goodman 7, Bruno Tonioli 7)

After Melissa performed her paso doble, Donald Driver was the next celebrity to take the dance floor.  He performed a paso doble of his own to a Jimi Hendrix tune, and started the routine with the worst fake guitar playing since my take on "Camptown Races" at my third-grade school assembly.

Donald had the routine down pat though, showing the confidence, determination and energy to get through the performance. But what did the judges think?

Bruno spent most of his review complimenting Donald's physique, while Len called the routine Donald's "best" of the competition.

Donald Driver: 27/30 (All 9s)

Singer Gladys Knight was next, and she was ready to show off her "inner Tina Turner" by performing a tango to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody."  I give the show credit for attempting to cut the song down to a solid 90 seconds, but performing it was another story, as the song seemed to end abruptly.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" simply didn't work for someone at Gladys' skill level, as the tune changed speed and tone several times in its 90-second timeframe, confusing the singer.

In addition, the routine began with a video of Tom and the judges spoofing Queen's "silhouette" singing, overshadowing what was occurring on the dance floor. All in all, a baffling performance that seemed, to me, to be an attempt to expose Gladys and put her at risk for elimination.

Bruno said the song may have been too difficult for someone at Gladys' skill level, while Carrie Ann called the dance ambitious, but "in pieces."

Gladys Knight: 20/30 (Inaba 7, Goodman 6, Tonioli 7)

The comedy of errors continued with William Levy's jive to Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It."  Levy was out of sync throughout the routine, and dealt with numerous footwork problems.  Pro partner Cheryl Burke lost one of her shoes midway through the dance, so she essentially had to perform without much balance.

Len thought the dance was off on many levels, while Bruno noted William's lack of sharpness. The women in the audience responded with many catcalls.

William Levy: 22/30 (Inaba 7, Goodman 7, Tonioli 8 )

Roshon Fegan came next, and he and Chelsie Hightower performed a Viennese waltz that delighted the crowd with its elegance. Carrie Ann said the routine reminded her of a Disney film, but since it may take her all night to name one such movie, she turned it over to Len, who told Roshon "good job, dawg." Having Len attempt to sound hip would make a great weekly feature on this show.

Roshon Fegan: 26/30 (Inaba 9, Goodman 8, Tonioli 9)

Before the next routine, the show paid tribute to the "Stonehenge" scene from "This Is Spinal Tap."  I guarantee you that not many people got the joke.

Then it was Maria Menounos' turn, and she was the definition of "walking wounded," as she was dealing with two broken ribs and a stress fracture in one of her feet. But she gutted it out to deliver an impressive tango with pro partner Derek Hough, who had to piggyback her to the judges' table and the "contestant room" after the routine.

Carrie Ann complimented Maria for her chemistry with Derek, although Len noted some control issues.

Maria Menounos: 26/30 (Inaba 9, Goodman 8, Tonioli 8 )

Gavin DeGraw was our last performer, and he opted to keep his hat on this week. He thought "Rock Week" was going to be his week to shine, and he appeared to deliver, showing more aggression and enthusiasm than in previous routines.

Unfortunately, he looked too aggressive at times, and his posture remained a problem.

Len said he liked Gavin's "flair" and attitude, but noted "serious" posture problems. Before the scores were revealed, Gavin admitted that he may not have done enough to get out of the bottom two for a third straight week.

Gavin DeGraw: 23/30 (Inaba 8, Goodman 8, Tonioli 7)

Tonight, another celebrity was eliminated.

What did you think of last night's "Dancing with the Stars" episode?

1. babes

Woah this weblog is magnificent i love studying your posts. Stay up the good work! You already know, many people are hunting round for this information, you can aid them greatly.

July 22, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. котел пищеварочный электрический

Magnificent put up, very informative. I wonder why the opposite specialists of this sector do not understand this. You must continue your writing. I'm sure, you've a great readers' base already!|What's Going down i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & assist different users like its aided me. Great job.

May 24, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. электрический котел для теплого пола

Howdy very cool site!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your website and take the feeds also?I'm glad to find so many useful information right here within the submit, we'd like develop more techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

May 24, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. remove hard water buildup

It's really a nice and useful piece of info. I'm happy that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

April 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. электрокотлы устройство

I used to be recommended this website by means of my cousin. I am no longer positive whether or not this put up is written by way of him as no one else recognize such targeted approximately my trouble. You're incredible! Thank you!

April 23, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. Game Bloxorz

My brother recommended I may like this blog. He was once totally right. This post truly made my day. You can not consider just how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

April 22, 2012 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. how to fix hard water

Hello there, I found your blog by means of Google whilst searching for a related topic, your web site came up, it seems to be great. I have bookmarked to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

April 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. foundation repair in Plano

Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing for your feed and I hope you write again soon!

April 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. How to treat yeast infection during pregnancy

Great blog right here! Additionally your website a lot up very fast! What host are you the use of? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink in your host? I desire my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

April 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. work at home home business idea to make money online

Very good post and valuable information, I’ve shared it.

April 18, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. need advice

I cherished up to you'll receive performed right here. The caricature is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish be handing over the following. sick for sure come further in the past again since precisely the similar just about a lot regularly inside case you shield this hike.

April 15, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. PC Repairs Berkshire

hi!,I love your writing very a lot! proportion we communicate extra approximately your post on AOL? I need a specialist on this house to solve my problem. May be that is you! Having a look forward to see you.

April 13, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jason Viper

She is a joke. Can't take her seriously ever since I heard she used stunt doubles throughout her career for any running scenes. She wasn't that bad off obviously if she's out there shaking her rump on camera for the world.

April 12, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Ummsaywhatttttttttttttttttttt

You mean Melissa Gilbert? Hmm...I've kept up with her career ever since she was a wee little child. I've never read or heard that about her. Where did you hear that from?

Thanks!

April 15, 2012 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sokman

Thank you for the clarification.

April 10, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. oldgrunt

Why the hell would anyone do what they did to the best season ever? The show is supposed to be about dancing not the music. A Vienese waltz to a rock song? You got to be kidding. Whoever came up with last night's scenario should be fired from the show for gross stupidity and banned from television for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sokman

Thats what happens when you let a blind girl from the prarie try to dance.

April 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ummsaywhatttttttttttttttttttt

Melissa Sue Anderson played Mary Ingalls who was the blind sister. Mellisa Gilbert played Laura Ingalls, her younger sister.

I used to love that show and have seen every episode. Funny to say that now after all these years, but when I was much younger, I just loved the show. I loved how simple life was, people worked hard to get what they needed and they treated others with respect. Wow, how nice that would be these days.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know which sister was which.
      Have a wonderful day!

April 10, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. @Caroleann

U can ask Observer.. I heard he is a great dancer and loves putting on his tights and showing off his moves

April 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Eddie

@Debbie i bet ur husband looks forward to when you leave the house for fast food. Yack yack yack

April 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Caroleann

I am a woman, 67 yrs. of age, been watching DWTS, every season, since the beginning. Love, love the show. For a long time now, I've been thinking the show should have a little twist....like maybe one or two, just normal, everyday people....give them a chance. Me...i love to watching dancing, cause I'm not very good, always wished for a partner, that loved to dance, so we could take ballroom dancing, in all my yrs., NO SUCH LUCK!! Not too many men want to dance. I WOULD DEFINATELY VOLUNTEER TO BE ON THE SHOW, ONE SEASON!!! Loved watching Gladys Knight, cause us seniors really need to show, what we got!!!! JUST A THOUGHT....THANK YOU!!

April 10, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

First off they need to can Brooke. Here's your scores? Here ARE your scores.... We have a tally going for how many times this season Brooke says, "How does that feel?" Just to see if she can beat the number from last year. Think of a new flippin' question to ask. Ballroom dancing, and you have KISS playing? Are the producers on crack? This used to be a fun show when it was about dancing, and not a popularity contest. Voting for a clodhopper with 2 left feet because you think he's hot does not help the show. Bristol Palin danced like a zombie and people kept voting for her. WHY???

April 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mars

Len gave Marie and Gavin the same score, 8.(???) Come on Len Gavin is at the bottom for a reason. Clean your glasses.

April 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Stars seeing stars (the bang your head kind)

Do the DWTS producers look specifically for a certain number of celebrities each season with a history of past injuries or surgeries in order to boost the drama? Btw, Sherri is too short and busty to look really elegant while dancing. Actually I think she is too busty to move real fast. She tries though and has some funny comments. Also, I think the scores have come down this week – not only because the performances weren't as good but they have probably had complaints about the judges being too generous with high scores early in the season so they need to tamp it down.

April 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. MissBettsie

I think these stars and pro dancers put on a beautiful show for LIVE tv. Stop complaining an enjoy.

April 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. catey

I really wish the make up artists would do something flattering for Mellisa. Granted she looks old, tired and maybe a bit ill. But heavy dark eyes, blood red lips and slicked back hair are not ways to make someone look more youthful and healthy. It is having the opposite effect! And this is every week, not just Rock n Roll week.

April 10, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Little House Fan

MelIssa Gilbert's fall Is strange. To me it seems she is not even touching with head on floor.

I hope she is not being Drama Queen. I hope I am wrong.

April 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Krissy

George Zimmerman looks like Chaz Bono.

April 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • JellyBean@Krissy

LMAO! I know, right? I can understand a woman wanting to be a man but why become a fugly man?

April 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  26. jerry sandusky

Get rid of Sherri. She is by far the worst dancer and lacks class and decorum. I think highly of Jaleel tho'. I would very much like to engage in some "rhythmic slapping" with him in the local community college shower.

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Samantha

Why would anyone in their right mind donate to george zimmerman? Now he can add begging to his list of questionable behavior.

April 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

@Samantha- I agree. These people are shameless. What does any of this have to do with entertainment? Maybe he should have thought about that when the police told him to back off, and he didn't. He wouldn't be begging now, would he. Put the blame where it belongs, on Zimmerman.

April 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  28. YVonne

Whole Show–Just HORRIBLE.!! Rock and Roll , and Ballroom just do not go together. !!! The costumes, pyrotecnics, clouds covering the dancers feet, music etc ..all just the very WORST. !! At this rate I think the show will lose a lot of viewers. Better wise up, ABC. !! Go back to DANCING, instead of all these poses and gyrations. !!

April 10, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Shoes

Please donate today

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • satori cmaylo

R U Kidding? donate to George Zimmerman? i would rather die myself

April 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Derrick

Not sure who will go home tonight. No one was great. It seemed like week one. If I had to bet money, I'd say Sherri Shepherd. Melissa will get a pass because of her injury. Jaleel needs to channel Steve Urkel for some energy.

Type DerrickDuffie into your web browser to visit my website and learn about my new novel, Unfinished Business.

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  31. Fred

Just a strange night trying to mix rock and ballroom. The whole night felt out of sync.

April 10, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  32. salleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What a bunch of ignorant racists these people are.

April 10, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jenna

Its funny that a black guy can sling Laura Ingles onto the floor and it's ok. If she did that to the jigg she would have been called a racist.

April 10, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • lite

Odd. I must have missed the Laura Ingles portion of the show (didn't see Laura Ingalls either). Nor did I see the jigg.

April 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • marragor

What is wrong with you? What a shame that you take up space on this planet.

April 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grandma

What are you talking about? No black guy swung her around. . You are lost girlfriend.

April 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Randy

The low scores are because rock and ballroom dancing just DO NOT MIX. Forget it next year.

April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  35. Radio Gray

Its just inbred into them. Part of their genes.

April 10, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  36. Radio Gray

I bet that dang Webster pushed her down. Those darkeys are always cheating.

April 10, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  37. jujubeans

Carrie Ann is a tease. I wonder how many dancers she's checked off her list.

April 10, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |